• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Last DLC Pack has divided the community.

KetchupKaffei

Smash Apprentice
It's crazy how one character from one franchise can cause this much of an uproar within Smash.
It really is sad to be honest(in my opinion), that we did get a another FE character, however we are getting a kick ass stage, you guys can't deny how cool this transition stage is going to be.
1579214870498.png

1579214888905.png

1579215051471.png

I respect the people that like FE(Fire Emblem) however I really think it's not cool to harp on and insult people and antagonize them for expressing their disappointment. People have free speech, and directly attacking others for that is really low.

1579214661949.png

We can have disagreements in mature ways, I don't think getting upset that people are disappointed and lashing out on them is mature in any way, come on guys.

Besides that, we have more DLC packs coming in and I think even though we have to wait, it would be worth it everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arthur97

Smash Master
You seem to be treating this as one sided. There's disappointment, then there's hate. Let's not pretend that those "disappointed" are entirely innocent. I mean, even your wording that it's "sad" could be taken the wrong way. You know what I don't like? Tons of third parties. Do you wanna take a stab at how much empathy I get when I'm disappointed with DLC?

And, really, how unified has this community been in the past?

Last edited:

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
I dont really care. They announced 6 more characters, and I presume that they will divide these characters into 2 or 3 characters requested by the community, and 3 or 4 characters they will not listen to opinions, and one of them will be some kind of joke character (like Piranha plant).

I will not be mad because they want the recent game - that happens to be the best Fire Emblem game and the first one in a home console - represented in the game, even if I'm not a fan of the series.

I think that we still will have a Geno, Crash, Dante or Master Chief in the part of the DLC characters requested by community, not all of them obviously, this would be not probable. But the game already have so many characters, and we already got some of the most requested characters.

Also, the thing that I would be more excited by are game modes, and better online. If I could enjoy the actual game better, I would appreciate more than any other new character. But I dont think we will receive any improvement on these areas.

Last edited:

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
it's the smash community you are talking about

that same community who bullied a 15 year old girl for defeating a pro player..i don't think you should expect anything respectful from this community.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Here's how I feel:
There's no way this could have gone any differently. It was a recipe for disaster. Fire Emblem already has a history of salt among Smash fans. Had Lucina, Chrom, and Corrin not been added, things may have gone differently. Additionally, had the series not have a history of blatantly obvious advertising additions, perhaps people would feel more as if the character was added less for commercial reasons.
It goes without saying that today's direct was the absolute lamest reveal trailer in Smash history. You'd think a character from such a critically acclaimed game would get a more fleshed out reveal trailer. I guess I was less disappointed and more....underwhelmed. The previous DLC characters were all out-of-left-field choices that no one could have predicted. To top it off with another FR swordsman just doesn't feel right. People expected a fifth total surprise third party that opened another franchise into Smash, not another character from a series with a history of inflated content. Had they decided on a different character for DLC 5 and began wave 2 with someone else, things would be different. A heavily requested first party would be a great start to a DLC pack.
Obviously I love Three Houses. It's one of my most favorite Switch games. Sakurai gave us a really well done presentation for their moveset. The costumes are awesome, the attacks are (semi) original, and the music selection is mostly awesome (RIP God Shattering Star). I hope future fighter showcases will use this as a base for what to do, and the reveal trailer for what not to do.

Team Scorpion

Smash Cadet
Toxicity is rampant in every fandom. While I am also disappointed by this reveal, I think everyone getting THIS upset needs to take a step back and remember we got some other highly requested fighters plus 6 more DLC fighters. At least you're not in my shoes - Legit only one fighter I wanted got into the Fighters Pass (Banjo & Kazooie). Yeah, I really don't understand how someone like Joker is able to make the cut above other missing, iconic video game legends like Crash and Spyro, but it is what it is. I won't scream and throw insults.

And for FE fans that rub it in everyone's face, well... Karma always hits like a ton of bricks.

D

Deleted member

It's crazy how one character from one franchise can cause this much of an uproar within Smash.
It really is sad to be honest(in my opinion), that we did get a another FE character, however we are getting a kick ass stage, you guys can't deny how cool this transition stage is going to be.
View attachment 258160
View attachment 258161
View attachment 258163

I respect the people that like FE(Fire Emblem) however I really think it's not cool to harp on and insult people and antagonize them for expressing their disappointment. People have free speech, and directly attacking others for that is really low.

We can have disagreements in mature ways, I don't think getting upset that people are disappointed and lashing out on them is mature in any way, come on guys.

Besides that, we have more DLC packs coming in and I think even though we have to wait, it would be worth it everyone.
The community has always been divided y different reasons so this is just another small uproar because a character, happened with Corrin and Bayonetta too.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
At this point, it no longer matters to me who makes the cut. Banjo & Kazooie was a positive shocker on my end, but even then, Ultimate just never really appealed to me like the past Smash Bros. titles did.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
I have to disagree about the stage. It's yet another Fire Emblem level that cannot be played competitively because of walk offs. What is it about Fire Emblem and the need to make every single stage from the franchise have a walk off? The best we have is Castle Siege without hazards, and it's size makes it a counter pick at best, unplayable at worst.

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
I have to disagree about the stage. It's yet another Fire Emblem level that cannot be played competitively because of walk offs. What is it about Fire Emblem and the need to make every single stage from the franchise have a walk off? The best we have is Castle Siege without hazards, and it's size makes it a counter pick at best, unplayable at worst.
?
Siege's issue isn't the size (lul), it's the camera that creates an issue with this stage for no reason.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Um, Arena Ferox?

And the monastery is only it's fourth stage. The only stage before hand with perma walkoffs is Coliseum

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
This was, without a doubt, the worst reveal trailer of Ultimate so far. I'm not saying Byleth is a bad character, just saying that the trailer had no impact at all. Even Isabelle's was more exciting :ohwell:

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
?
Siege's issue isn't the size (lul), it's the camera that creates an issue with this stage for no reason.
Is it? I never had a problem with the camera here, figured the microscopic size presented too large a benefit for slower heavies.

Um, Arena Ferox?

And the monastery is only it's fourth stage. The only stage before hand with perma walkoffs is Coliseum
Didn't say perma-walkoffs. Just walk offs. Siege has them in it's second transformation and Colliseum has them. I honestly forgot Ferox was even in the game, but I don't believe it's viable either due to having solid platforms, creating a cave of life effect throughout the game.

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
Is it? I never had a problem with the camera here, figured the microscopic size presented too large a benefit for slower heavies.
If you're on the lower right blastzone then the wall will block your view to the characters.
This is from Sm4sh, but Ultimate's Castle Siege has the same issues:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Who cares if a stage is competitively viable? The competitive community is so picky about that anyways, catering to them can lead to some dull stages, and layout wise, the DLC stages had been pretty dull. I'm happy with a change of pace.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
The community was already pretty divided. One character doesn't change that one way or another.

We have the "just for fun" group on one side and the "tiers/competitivly viable" group on the other.
We have the "Smash should be ONLY Nintendo group" the "Let's invite everybody!" group.
The Geno/Waluigi/(bandwagon character here) groups, the "no those characters are just memes, nobody really wants them" groups.

... probabaly a few more groups that I can't think of.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I'm somewhere in the middle on the only Nintendo vs. literally everybody group but I definitely lean toward Nintendo. I like certain third parties, but I think they should be kept special and, preferably, Nintendo related (Pac-Man admittedly isn't super Nintendo related, but he is a legend and fits in really well with the Nintendo cast at least). I don't think we should purge them all, but I think the reigns should be tightened on them, and they definitely should not have the run of the DLC. You know, Nintendo fans probably bought that pack too, maybe throw them a bit more.

That, is probably the biggest reason I'm okay with this. It's first party. Not my first, second, or third choice, but at least it's Nintendo.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
The Smash Community has been divided for a long time. This is just another fork in the road we'll have to deal with. But since it's familiar, it'll be forgotten in a few weeks until the next FE character (or one that's not considered "worthy" to join) comes around.

Last edited:

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
If you're on the lower right blastzone then the wall will block your view to the characters.
This is from Sm4sh, but Ultimate's Castle Siege has the same issues:
Ahh, I gotcha. That looks pretty bad.
Who cares if a stage is competitively viable? The competitive community is so picky about that anyways, catering to them can lead to some dull stages, and layout wise, the DLC stages had been pretty dull. I'm happy with a change of pace.
There are currently no competitively viable Fire Emblem stages. It'd be nice to get something added to the game via DLC that can shake up the competitive scene outside of characters.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Ahh, I gotcha. That looks pretty bad.
There are currently no competitively viable Fire Emblem stages. It'd be nice to get something added to the game via DLC that can shake up the competitive scene outside of characters.
A lot of series are without a competitively viable stage, but if they limit themselves to trying to make them all up to their exacting standards, then we're left with some less than dynamic stages.

Though, as for the DLC stages, I will give KoF Stadiums props for actually having the neat feature of being a flat stage that isn't a walkoff even if the rest of it isn't that grand. I personally like Spiral Mountain, but in the end, it is functionally not that dissimilar to Clock Tower and the DQ stage. At least being entirely walkoffs (except when in transition) and actually going to different areas does spice it up even if once again it's a DLC stage with plenty of cameo characters. Seriously, has anyone else picked up on that trend?

FeelingDrowzy

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 4247 0006 8233
. Seriously, has anyone else picked up on that trend?

Actually yes I see the trend it makes sense why they would do that and I feel like it's a pretty cool thing to have all of these cameos since I know that's what the game is at the end of the day. I do like the stages still. Terry's KoF Stage was pretty creative and the others felt nice, but I do want something innovating that's somewhat competitively viable at least once since it'll be pretty nice to have and I won't complain if that's all we got since the ones that are competitive now isn't too much.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I'm somewhere in the middle on the only Nintendo vs. literally everybody group but I definitely lean toward Nintendo. I like certain third parties, but I think they should be kept special and, preferably, Nintendo related (Pac-Man admittedly isn't super Nintendo related, but he is a legend and fits in really well with the Nintendo cast at least). I don't think we should purge them all, but I think the reigns should be tightened on them, and they definitely should not have the run of the DLC. You know, Nintendo fans probably bought that pack too, maybe throw them a bit more.
I see it as "this is Nintendo's party but they invited their friends."

It's never going to STOP being Nintendo, there's just a lot of guests that have shown up too.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I see it as "this is Nintendo's party but they invited their friends."

It's never going to STOP being Nintendo, there's just a lot of guests that have shown up too.
When you invite some friends over, and then they invite their friends who invite there friends until you got some stranger using your toothbrush.

MastaMario

Smash Rookie

My favourite nintendo rep ma boi reggie lied to us :mybodyisreggie:

5 characters all characters new to the series just like joker of persona. characters that you don't anticipate to see in smash brothers.

Fire emblem new to the smash series LMAO the number 3 in terms of charactres higher than even zelda

Only 1 or 2 below mario and pokemon with now 8 characters for such a niche series.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
This was, without a doubt, the worst reveal trailer of Ultimate so far. I'm not saying Byleth is a bad character, just saying that the trailer had no impact at all. Even Isabelle's was more exciting :ohwell:
I'm guessing you didn't play Three Houses.

In general though, it's not wise to make a subjective statement in the absolute.

MastaMario

Smash Rookie

In general though, it's not wise to make a subjective statement in the absolute.
tree houses is for a very specific crowd though for anime rpg's

not everyone likes anime's rpg's this is a fighting game community after all. fire emblem is not the series that the majority of nintendo players like. it's a more niche series compared to the bigger titles in nintendo.

fire emblem memes have been a thing since smash 4 for a reason. if majority was a fire emblem fan I doubt many people would complain about yet another FE fighter in smash. not to mention that most people who played marth or ike back in the day probably never played the original games anyway since they only enjoyed the gameplay of those characters in smash.

Last edited:

Sammerbro44

Smash Apprentice

My favourite nintendo rep ma boi reggie lied to us :mybodyisreggie:

5 characters all characters new to the series just like joker of persona. characters that you don't anticipate to see in smash brothers.

Fire emblem new to the smash series LMAO the number 3 in terms of charactres higher than even zelda

Only 1 or 2 below mario and pokemon with now 8 characters for such a niche series.
In my opinion, Reggie (and by extension Nintendo), TECHNICALLY didn't lie about the "all characters new to the series" thing. The way I see it, in the Byleth video, it didn't just say, "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X Fire Emblem," rather, it said "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X Fire Emblem: Three Houses." As far as I know, there hadn't been any Three Houses exclusive content specifically in smash ultimate, so to me it still counts as "new" content introduced to smash (in the most technical and convoluted sense possible).

As far as dividing the community goes, this really is nothing new. I would just wait till Byleth comes out and then everyone will simply move on to the next thing.

MastaMario

Smash Rookie
In my opinion, Reggie (and by extension Nintendo), TECHNICALLY didn't lie about the "all characters new to the series" thing. The way I see it, in the Byleth video, it didn't just say, "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X Fire Emblem," rather, it said "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X Fire Emblem: Three Houses." As far as I know, there hadn't been any Three Houses exclusive content specifically in smash ultimate, so to me it still counts as "new" content introduced to smash (in the most technical and convoluted sense possible).

As far as dividing the community goes, this really is nothing new. I would just wait till Byleth comes out and then everyone will simply move on to the next thing.
Fire emblem is not a 3rd party game he said specificly characters like joker that you would not expect

Pretty much all tournament players could have expected the newest FE lord to be in smash. Byleth is no comparison to terry banjo joker or hero from dragonquest

Reggie lied this time. it's a fact. FE tree houses is from the Fe series sakurai literally took older FE games wich included marth ike and chrom for the direct. Fe tree houses isnt something seperate.

Sakurai literally explained during the gameplay trailer what a fire emblem game is with perma death etc so clearly it was just another Fire emblem rep. Nothing new there very expected. not to mention especially male byleth looks pretty much like marth way more than the other FE characters. like angry marth.

This wasnt unexpected and this wasnt a 3rd party character to make it comparable as the rest of the dlc. we have like 8 reps now it's 3rd spot of most characters in smash it's over 10% of the entire cast.

These FE memes and the haters exist for a reason. for such a niche series way to many characters. and while gameplay is different among a few of them, people really wanted to have some variety in terms of characters, not a generic Fe rep that only makes sense for fire emblem or rpg fans.

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
tree houses is for a very specific crowd though for anime rpg's

not everyone likes anime's rpg's this is a fighting game community after all. fire emblem is not the series that the majority of nintendo players like. it's a more niche series compared to the bigger titles in nintendo.

fire emblem memes have been a thing since smash 4 for a reason. if majority was a fire emblem fan I doubt many people would complain about yet another FE fighter in smash. not to mention that most people who played marth or ike back in the day probably never played the original games anyway since they only enjoyed the gameplay of those characters in smash.
It's like you didn't read what you quoted.

What you just did in your post was make absolute statements that confirmed your already held belief without giving them subjective qualifiers. This is how needless arguments start. "I think that" elicits a different response than "it's a fact that".

But further, your logic is flawed with the statement that "not everyone likes anime's rpg's this is a fighting game community after all." Smash is a collection of all kinds of other genres and fanbases; the only characters starring in it who are explicitly from fighting games are Ryu, Ken and Terry. You're also discounting the crazy excitement other JRPG character inclusions received, such as Joker, Hero, and the biggest bombshell of all, Cloud.

As for the statement that it's a niche series, that was true in Melee, Brawl and even Smash 4. But Fire Emblem, solely since Awakening's release on the 3DS, has sold eight million copies, and Fire Emblem Heroes has made over $500 million dollars as of Feb. 2019, more than double Nintendo's other mobile IPs combined. That includes Mario and Animal Crossing. Three Houses, the game Byleth is from, was even the fan-voted game of the year at the Game Awards, beating out Sekiro, Death Stranding, Control, Resident Evil 2 and even Smash Bros. Ultimate itself. And don't forget that Chrom was included as an echo fighter explicitly because of fan demand.

I understand that you-- and many others-- don't care for Fire Emblem and wish Byleth weren't in it. I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise, because that's your tastes and your opinion. That's a good thing. What isn't a good thing is trying to rain on other people's parade because you're salty.

Please don't do that.

Sammerbro44

Smash Apprentice
Fire emblem is not a 3rd party game he said specificly characters like joker that you would not expect

Pretty much all tournament players could have expected the newest FE lord to be in smash. Byleth is no comparison to terry banjo joker or hero from dragonquest

Reggie lied this time. it's a fact. FE tree houses is from the Fe series sakurai literally took older FE games wich included marth ike and chrom for the direct. Fe tree houses isnt something seperate.

Sakurai literally explained during the gameplay trailer what a fire emblem game is with perma death etc so clearly it was just another Fire emblem rep. Nothing new there very expected. not to mention especially male byleth looks pretty much like marth way more than the other FE characters. like angry marth.

This wasnt unexpected and this wasnt a 3rd party character to make it comparable as the rest of the dlc. we have like 8 reps now it's 3rd spot of most characters in smash it's almost 10% of the entire cast.

These FE memes and the haters exist for a reason. for such a niche series way to many characters.

"So, the DLC, there are going to be five characters. Each character will come with a stage. It will come with a collection of music. These are going to be characters that are new to the series, just like Joker from Persona 5, characters that you would not anticipate to be in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate."

This is the direct quote from Reggie himself in the clip you provided. Nowhere in this quote does Reggie mention that all of the characters will be 3rd party characters. He did not say that the series itself would be new to Smash Bros., but rather the character chosen from the series would be new to Smash Bros. Yes, Fire Emblem (the series) is not new to Smash Ultimate. However, Byleth (the character from the series) is new to Smash Ultimate. Also, from my personal experience, no one that I knew or interacted with was expecting to get another Fire Emblem character, so I would make the argument that Byleth does fulfill the criteria of being a character that no one expected. However, I acknowledge that my own personal experiences don't represent the community as a whole. I agree with you that Byleth is not as exciting to me as Hero, Terry, and Banjo-Kazooie. However, I do believe that Reggie (and by extension, Nintendo) did stay true to their word.

MastaMario

Smash Rookie
how is it unexpected though yet another FE lord

We got marth ike roy chrom corrin who are literally also FE lords whats so unexpected about that?

I'm a casual FE fan since melee and I'm still a bit dissapointed would have rather had any other character even troll picks like seriously. gameplay isnt the main problem the simular looks might be the most problematic thing for me considering what other characters could have come in instead.

rant off

Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
This godforsaken community was already divided beyond repair. No one is ever allowed to express an opinion without some hoarde with their go-to insults and memes descending on them.

You like this character inclusion? Their game is crap, and it should have been X instead.

You dislike this character inclusion? You're just mad it wasn't character Y.

This character didn't get in? Here's an endless cavalcade of memes dunking on and insulting them, and you're an idiot for wanting them.

Seriously, this whole ordeal is the same song & dance as always. Eventually people are going to move on because there's nothing else they can do. Just another ugly showcase from an ugly community.

I'm not trying to call anybody out specifically or imply that adhering to what I've said is the norm for everyone, but there's certainly enough of it that I can't consider it a vocal minority.

D

Deleted member

Not everyone likes Fire Emblem, deal with it.

This godforsaken community was already divided beyond repair. No one is ever allowed to express an opinion without some hoarde with their go-to insults and memes descending on them.

You like this character inclusion? Their game is crap, and it should have been X instead.

You dislike this character inclusion? You're just mad it wasn't character Y.

This character didn't get in? Here's an endless cavalcade of memes dunking on and insulting them, and you're an idiot for wanting them.

Seriously, this whole ordeal is the same song & dance as always. Eventually people are going to move on because there's nothing else they can do. Just another ugly showcase from an ugly community.

I'm not trying to call anybody out specifically or imply that adhering to what I've said is the norm for everyone, but there's certainly enough of it that I can't consider it a vocal minority.
That's the way it is, the best thing is just leave the community if you don't like it (at least the online part).

Sammerbro44

Smash Apprentice
how is it unexpected though yet another FE lord

We got marth ike roy chrom corrin who are literally also FE lords whats so unexpected about that?

I'm a casual FE fan since melee and I'm still a bit dissapointed would have rather had any other character even troll picks like seriously. gameplay isnt the main problem the simular looks might be the most problematic thing for me considering what other characters could have come in instead.

rant off
The reason why it's unexpected is because no one was expecting Fighter's Pass #5 to be a Fire Emblem character. Hell, no one was expecting Fighter's Pass #5 to be a 1st party character, let alone a Fire Emblem character. Yes, we have had several lords already in Smash, so Byleth was a front runner to be chosen from the game. However, this does not mean that he was guaranteed. They could have gone with many other characters from Three houses (Sothis, Edelgard, Dimitri, Claude). You have every right to be disappointed about Byleth's announcement. I'm not gonna argue with you on that. In fact, I agree with you in that regard. I would have much rather had any of the other Fire Emblem characters previously mentioned here. More importantly, I would have rather had any other character at all, really.

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Everybody's freaking out over another FE character. Just give it a week and things will be back to normal.

For a fun drinking game though, take a shot whenever these words are mentioned in any post in this thread:
  • toxic
  • hostile
  • divided
  • viable/competitive
  • disappointed

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Not everyone likes Fire Emblem, deal with it.
This had nothing to do with what I said, or what I quoted, and was needlessly antagonistic.

But otherwise, solid post, 10/10.

Top Bottom