• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

KOS-MOS Returning to Battle: DLC Season 2.

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
Well, I might as well say it here too, even though the day might be over for some of you, Happy Holidays! I hope next year is good for peeps here. And of course, hopefully something happens with KOS-MOS.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Anyone getting the hunch that Xenosaga will get remade and shown off at E3?

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Anyone getting the hunch that Xenosaga will get remade and shown off at E3?
Probably depends on when Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition comes out. I don't think they'd announce it before that released since the average person doesn't know much difference between the Xeno titles.

D

Deleted member

Probably depends on when Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition comes out. I don't think they'd announce it before that released since the average person doesn't know much difference between the Xeno titles.
Here's to that getting announced at the hypothetical January Direct everyone is guessing.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ka...ailed-in-a-profitable-market-analysis.161374/

...not particularly, no.
yup, xenosaga failing in a namco-led market analysis bodes extremely poorly for them ever deciding to put KOS-MOS in smash unless they were stubbornly determined to make a marketing push (despite already determining it'd be a huge financial risk)

not the best news so soon after christmas

D

Deleted member

I’m not surprised they don’t want to port a trilogy that sold poorly when it came out, besides Namco already has another more successful RPG series.

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
I suppose we'll have to keep waiting, it's not all that surprising, but man, that's a shame regardless.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Out of curiosity what did Harada say about PXZ3? Doubt he’d have any control over it though, and iirc one of the lead programmers left

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ka...ailed-in-a-profitable-market-analysis.161374/

...not particularly, no.
This pretty much disconfirms her 100%. It's no longer, "her chances are a lot less likely now" or "it'll take a miracle for her to get in" or "On the Smash side of things, it doesn't really matter much because Sakurai personally liked her enough to include her." It's full-on "Xenosaga failed at garnering public interest. It's a dead franchise."
Depressed_Shulk.png

Looks like I'll have to emulate the games some day.

D

Deleted member

This pretty much disconfirms her 100%. It's no longer, "her chances are a lot less likely now" or "it'll take a miracle for her to get in" or "On the Smash side of things, it doesn't really matter much because Sakurai personally liked her enough to include her." It's full-on "Xenosaga failed at garnering public interest. It's a dead franchise."
View attachment 254593
Looks like I'll have to emulate the games some day.
Well at least she isn’t my most wanted lol

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Even if Xenosaga didn’t sell well, I don’t think we should consider this deconfirmation. Think back to all the other dead franchises that made it to Smash. F-Zero, Earthbound, Duck Hunt, they’re all dead franchises, so if a character can’t get in because a franchise is dead, we wouldn’t have Ness, Lucas, Captain Falcon or Duck Hunt.

Also, it’s important to remember that KOS-MOS is still a recognizable character, and a popular one at that. Otherwise, we wouldn’t see her in all those games and make all those cameos.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Even if Xenosaga didn’t sell well, I don’t think we should consider this deconfirmation. Think back to all the other dead franchises that made it to Smash. F-Zero, Earthbound, Duck Hunt, they’re all dead franchises, so if a character can’t get in because a franchise is dead, we wouldn’t have Ness, Lucas, Captain Falcon or Duck Hunt.

Also, it’s important to remember that KOS-MOS is still a recognizable character, and a popular one at that. Otherwise, we wouldn’t see her in all those games and make all those cameos.
And he said “this plan will be difficult to resurface”. Difficult. Not impossible. If KOS-MOS being in Smash adds more fan demand then Xenosaga HD Trilogy just might happen

D

Deleted member

They might be dead but they are first party and we’re in previous Smash games. Kos-MOs isn’t a popular character like people keep saying.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
They might be dead but they are first party and we’re in previous Smash games. Kos-MOs isn’t a popular character like people keep saying.
The same could be said for Banjo & Kazooie before Fighter Pack 3. Before then, they weren’t a popular 3rd party character (At least not a lot of people nowadays knew about them), they never appeared in a Smash game until now and their franchise has been pretty dead since Nuts & Bolts came out over a decade ago.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The same could be said for Banjo & Kazooie before Fighter Pack 3. Before then, they weren’t a popular 3rd party character (At least not a lot of people nowadays knew about them), they never appeared in a Smash game until now and their franchise has been pretty dead since Nuts & Bolts came out over a decade ago.
I was going to post that myself, but I thought that it might be seen as different since Banjo and Kazooie have had a consistent demand among Smash fans for over a decade, whereas support for KOS-MOS is relatively new from what I've seen.

On the other hand, Namco-Bandai is actually DOING something with KOS-MOS (with appearances in Xenoblade Chronicles 2, the Project X Zone games, etc.), whereas Microsoft seemed content to let Banjo and Kazooie (along with every Rare property outside of Killer Instinct and Battletoads) gather dust.

D

Deleted member

Yeah but at least there was a huge support and many people wanted him and he was topping polls, can you say the same for Kos-MOs?

unfortunately Kos-MOs is stuck in Cameo limbo, same state as Morrigan, just added into games as a nod and fan service.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
D

Deleted member

Part of me thinks that Xenosaga should have just started as a book series or just focused on just making one game instead of just devoting an entire series on a storyline, If Takahashi could barely finish making 1 game during his time in Squaresoft, what made him think that he could do an entire series?

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I don't see why people are proclaiming this to be the end. As I've said before, KOS-MOS herself has been pushed quite a bit more than Xenosaga itself has been for some time including Nintendo going out of their way to include her in Xenoblade Chronicles 2. She may not exactly be in the best situation for a Challenger Pack type reveal, but she still totally works on her own with some music or something more lowkey in nature like that if Xenosaga is well and truly abandoned.

And like, Sakurai and Nintendo are still doing the choosing. If Nintendo sees enough interest in her from fans and also has Monolith Soft potentially pushing for her inclusion, and Sakurai sees her as a potentially fun inclusion, then there's literally nothing stopping her from getting in. Bandai-Namco is almost certainly not going to turn them down if they ask for her in Smash as they really only stand to benefit from it. The issue with Xenosaga remastered is its an expensive project that just isn't going to inherently make much of that money back given how small Xenosaga was (and you can get really expensive if you start trying to fix problems with those old titles).

It's a blow to KOS-MOS, but I don't see it as the death nail by any stretch of the imagination.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
We will find out for sure in the next direct regardless, but it is definitely a good idea to make backup plans. Mine is 2B for either FP5 or in post pass. :p

D

Deleted member

I don't see why people are proclaiming this to be the end. As I've said before, KOS-MOS herself has been pushed quite a bit more than Xenosaga itself has been for some time including Nintendo going out of their way to include her in Xenoblade Chronicles 2. She may not exactly be in the best situation for a Challenger Pack type reveal, but she still totally works on her own with some music or something more lowkey in nature like that if Xenosaga is well and truly abandoned.

And like, Sakurai and Nintendo are still doing the choosing. If Nintendo sees enough interest in her from fans and also has Monolith Soft potentially pushing for her inclusion, and Sakurai sees her as a potentially fun inclusion, then there's literally nothing stopping her from getting in. Bandai-Namco is almost certainly not going to turn them down if they ask for her in Smash as they really only stand to benefit from it. The issue with Xenosaga remastered is its an expensive project that just isn't going to inherently make much of that money back given how small Xenosaga was (and you can get really expensive if you start trying to fix problems with those old titles).

It's a blow to KOS-MOS, but I don't see it as the death nail by any stretch of the imagination.
So what would they gain from adding Kos-MOs into smash?

We will find out for sure in the next direct regardless, but it is definitely a good idea to make backup plans. Mine is 2B for either FP5 or in post pass. :p
she has a bigger chance since people actually played her game.

Last edited by a moderator:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
So what would they gain from adding Kos-MOs into smash?

she has a bigger chance since people actually played her game.
Adding a fun character that people are invested in that's appeared in a bunch of crossovers and has some popularity? If you're talking Bandai-Namco, money and making people happy?

I'm confused, what do they exactly need to gain besides those things? KOS-MOS is kind of the epitome of "fun not recognizable" type character with some circumstances in her favor thanks to Monolith Soft's close relationship with Nintendo these days and Bandai-Namco literally co-creating Smash Ultimate. It doesn't really need to be complicated beyond that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Adding a fun character that people are invested in that's appeared in a bunch of crossovers and has some popularity? If you're talking Bandai-Namco, money and making people happy?

I'm confused, what do they exactly need to gain besides those things? KOS-MOS is kind of the epitome of "fun not recognizable" type character with some circumstances in her favor thanks to Monolith Soft's close relationship with Nintendo these days and Bandai-Namco literally co-creating Smash Ultimate. It doesn't really need to be complicated beyond that.
Wouldn’t putting a more popular character would satisfy more people? If the series that she’s from isn’t seen as profitable why bother putting her in over other more recognizable Namco characters? It doesn’t matter how much crossovers she’s in, and being fun is really subjective because you say that about any character.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Wouldn’t putting a more popular character would satisfy more people? If the series that she’s from isn’t seen as profitable why bother putting her in over other more recognizable Namco characters? It doesn’t matter how much crossovers she’s in, and being fun is really subjective because you say that about any character.
Yes, it's subjective, but there is one individual in particular you need to worry about that subjectivity with: Sakurai. His definition of fun decides the fate of every character on the roster, and we've seen it swing against something as big as Resident Evil and yet in favor of Joker. Obviously, you can pick apart all the individual differences of that situation til you're blue in the face, but it proves that such things are possible and Sakurai's definition of fun doesn't always manage everyone else's. I thought a Resident Evil character would be a blast, but Sakurai clearly didn't see the same conclusion. And there is also the issue that, KOS-MOS is arguably filling an extremely different niche from most Bandai-Namco picks. She's part of the greater Xeno universe that Monolith Soft has worked on and nurtured for ages now. It's extremely unlikely that she "gets chosen as a Bandai Namco character" as that's not why people are interested in her. She fills a different niche than many options, and there is undeniably a demand for more love given to the Xeno series in Smash. We've seen the love and support for Rex/Pyra/Mythra and Elma, and many of those same fans are here championing KOS-MOS as well.

Xenosaga's profitability can be different from KOS-MOS in Smash. Lucas was deemed important enough to be DLC in Smash 4 and Nintendo couldn't even be bothered to localize Mother 3 anywhere. Robin was still chosen as an additional fighter in Smash 4's design document despite the fact that the series was literally hanging in the balance profitability wise (in 2012, Awakening was the make or break moment for Fire Emblem since it was looking bad for the series, which was also when the project plan for 4 was developed and Sakurai had no way of knowing Awakening would be that kind of a success). There's precedent here that characters in Smash are not necessarily bound by the profitability of their parent franchise. Hell, Banjo & Kazooie got in despite the fact that Microsoft is perfectly fine with the series staying dead and investing exactly nothing into it.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yes, it's subjective, but there is one individual in particular you need to worry about that subjectivity with: Sakurai. His definition of fun decides the fate of every character on the roster, and we've seen it swing against something as big as Resident Evil and yet in favor of Joker. Obviously, you can pick apart all the individual differences of that situation til you're blue in the face, but it proves that such things are possible and Sakurai's definition of fun doesn't always manage everyone else's. I thought a Resident Evil character would be a blast, but Sakurai clearly didn't see the same conclusion. And there is also the issue that, KOS-MOS is arguably filling an extremely different niche from most Bandai-Namco picks. She's part of the greater Xeno universe that Monolith Soft has worked on and nurtured for ages now. It's extremely unlikely that she "gets chosen as a Bandai Namco character" as that's not why people are interested in her. She fills a different niche than many options, and there is undeniably a demand for more love given to the Xeno series in Smash. We've seen the love and support for Rex/Pyra/Mythra and Elma, and many of those same fans are here championing KOS-MOS as well.

Xenosaga's profitability can be different from KOS-MOS in Smash. Lucas was deemed important enough to be DLC in Smash 4 and Nintendo couldn't even be bothered to localize Mother 3 anywhere. Robin was still chosen as an additional fighter in Smash 4's design document despite the fact that the series was literally hanging in the balance profitability wise (in 2012, Awakening was the make or break moment for Fire Emblem since it was looking bad for the series, which was also when the project plan for 4 was developed and Sakurai had no way of knowing Awakening would be that kind of a success). There's precedent here that characters in Smash are not necessarily bound by the profitability of their parent franchise. Hell, Banjo & Kazooie got in despite the fact that Microsoft is perfectly fine with the series staying dead and investing exactly nothing into it.
To be fair, Lucas was put in Brawl while Sakurai still thought Mother 3 would be localized. It wasn’t, but due to the demand for the character he returned as Smash 4 DLC, and of course Ultimate.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Banjo is the only character that was put in with no game announced... yet.
K. Rool as well.

Part of me thinks that Xenosaga should have just started as a book series or just focused on just making one game instead of just devoting an entire series on a storyline, If Takahashi could barely finish making 1 game during his time in Squaresoft, what made him think that he could do an entire series?
If Monolith Soft didn't make a Xenosega trilogy and the latter two didn't flop in sells, they never would have went almost bankrupt, left Namco to go to Nintendo, and Xenoblade wouldn't exist.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well then let’s see if she makes it in. Honestly I’d like to be wrong and see Kos-Mos in, despite seeing it as impossible.

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
It's definitely a shame that a Xenosaga remaster seems unlikely now, but since it's such a niche series it wasn't something I was necessarily expecting. I still think more people would be interested if they really amp up the visuals, and advertise how they were developed by the same studio that brought us the masterpiece Xenoblade games in recent years. But if this was done by professionals in market research and analysis I'm sure they know way more about what would sell than I do haha.

As you guys have said, a Smash character doesn't necessarily have to be tied to a recent release (Banjo & Kazooie) but it sure seems to help their chances. I'm not saying it's impossible for KOS-MOS to get in now (I still put her as the frontrunner among female newcomers) but it seems a lot less likely. The best we can hope for is that the Xenoblade remaster contains new content similar to the challenge mode from Xenoblade 2 with cameos from other Monolithsoft characters. That's about all I can think if as far as relevant content for Nintendo/Namco to push along with putting her in Smash.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I want the Namco rep to be Nightmare or KOS-MOS, but I think it's most likely going to be Lloyd because of his Mii costume still MIA, because of the Tales series being one of the biggest JRPG franchises in Japan, and the recent Tales book trademark that no one knows what it is going to be use for yet. I would be happy for the Lloyd fans, but he honestly isn't my cup of tea.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I want the Namco rep to be Nightmare or KOS-MOS, but I think it's most likely going to be Lloyd because of his Mii costume still MIA, because of the Tales series being one of the biggest JRPG franchises in Japan, and the recent Tales book trademark that no one knows what it is going to be use for yet. I would be happy for the Lloyd fans, but he honestly isn't my cup of tea.
However, I've also noticed the only Mii Costume promotions from 4 were in the base roster (Chrom, Isabelle, Inkling, King K. Rool). So far no Mii Costume from 4 has been promoted via DLC for Ultimate. That may or may not change in the future

Top Bottom