• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

KOS-MOS Returning to Battle: DLC Season 2.

D

Deleted member

Yep. Apparently Dinah created this thread right around...pre-Smash Ultimate release. Hell, Dinah was also present during the Smash 4 DLc season, and it's clear that KOS-MOS support has been here.
I thought so, her name is a reference to Kos-Mos’s personal AMWS (basically kinda like a Gundam). I always saw Kos-MOs mods for Brawl so it’s clear some people wanted her for a long time.

D

Deleted member

I thought so, her name is a reference to Kos-Mos’s personal AMWS (basically kinda like a Gundam). I always saw Kos-MOs mods for Brawl so it’s clear some people wanted her for a long time.
Mostly of ZSS I think? But damn, this is why I co-main ZSS to complement my Marthcina.

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
For anyone who hasn't played Xenosaga, this video does an excellent job of outlining why you should. Someone shared it in the Xenoblade subreddit and I thought I'd leave it here. Personally, I own and have played the entire trilogy, so naturally, I would recommend them. Episode II is a bit rough in regard to its battle system, but I think that Episode I and especially Episode III hold up remarkably well. Definitely check them out if you're able to.
I have a question: Is Episodes II and III rare or expensive? I definitely want to check them all out.

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
I have a question: Is Episodes II and III rare or expensive? I definitely want to check them all out.
Episode II isn't too hard to find online, and I see it often enough at used games stores that I wouldn't call it rare. You can usually get it for around 20 bucks used. I sometimes see it listed higher, but I wouldn't pay much higher than 20 for what is easily the weakest game in the trilogy. Episode III, however, is quite rare and expensive. Expect to pay at least 60 bucks for a copy, but it's usually listed around 70-80. I've never seen a copy in person aside from mine.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Episode II isn't too hard to find online, and I see it often enough at used games stores that I wouldn't call it rare. You can usually get it for around 20 bucks used. I sometimes see it listed higher, but I wouldn't pay much higher than 20 for what is easily the weakest game in the trilogy. Episode III, however, is quite rare and expensive. Expect to pay at least 60 bucks for a copy, but it's usually listed around 70-80. I've never seen a copy in person aside from mine.
Thanks. If I enjoy Episode I and to lesser extent II, I will be happy to fork in 60 bucks or more to get Episode III.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If you're a cheapskate like me you can just... emulate them... >_>

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
You have a PS2? I mean that’s good and all, but what if you want to play a very rare game that’s over 200 USD?
I wouldn't pay that much. $60 or $70 bucks is fine with me though if the game is very good.

Edit: Though I did buy Rule of Rose from my sister for $200 bucks. It's one of the rarest PS2 games and her copy was in almost perfect condition so I didn't mind forking $200 over since she is my sister and I got to see the condition of the game in front of me.

Last edited:

Lynn Eslie

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure if this question has been asked yet since I'm new here, but if KOS-MOS gets in, which version of her do you all think we'll get?

I'm hoping for Version 1, with Version 4 as an alt., or vice versa.
Personally, I feel V1 and Refrain are the most likely, with V4 as a possibility.

V1 for its status as the original design, while also paying tribute to Xenosaga Episode 1, the first game Monolith Soft developed as a company.
Refrain as an updated, more Nintendo-friendly design. It was created to be "The symbol of Xenosaga," and creating an entirely new variant solely for use as a cameo would be rather strange. I expect Refrain to be a Nintendo standard moving forward.

V4 for being her most widely marketed version, as well as ostensibly her most powerful form within the context of the series. That said, CERO may take issue with V4, which could complicate things.

I’m expecting her not to be a fast character since her higher stats are Strength and defense. Pretty heavy too.
KOS-MOS' stats in the games are an example of Ludonarrative Dissonance, or "When game mechanics do not align with story elements." Though her speed stat is low for the sake of gameplay (offering a balanced party with unique strengths and weaknesses), It is displayed several times through cut-scenes that she is substantially more fleet of foot than the other members. Perhaps the most explicit example of this being...
When the party deliberates on how to prevent Proto-Merkabah from colliding with the Kukai Foundation, knowing they would have to dismantle it from an inside terminal, KOS-MOS volunteers to be left behind for the task. Not out of empathy or self-sacrifice, but the entirely logical assessment that she is the fastest runner, and therefore has the best odds of activating the sequence while also evacuating in time.
It is also worth noting that the Speed stat in particular is fairly arbitrary, or otherwise more closely represents weight than agility. The two characters with the lowest speed stats, Ziggy and KOS-MOS, are also the heaviest. The two with the highest speed stats, MOMO and Jr, are also the lightest. MOMO is the lightest, and thus boasts the highest Speed stat, but as an Observational Realian, she's also the least athletic member of the party.

To clarify, Dinah is not an A.M.W.S.(Assault Maneuver Weapon System), but an E.S. (Ein Sof) Unit. While superficially similar to A.M.W.S. Units, an E.S. is able to efficiently draw power from the Zohar, which makes them substantially more powerful.

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
I wouldn't pay that much. $60 or $70 bucks is fine with me though if the game is very good.

Edit: Though I did buy Rule of Rose from my sister for $200 bucks. It's one of the rarest PS2 games and her copy was in almost perfect condition so I didn't mind forking $200 over since she is my sister and I got to see the condition of the game in front of me.
Jealous, dude, seriously. As a retro collector myself I totally get the appeal and charm of playing a game on the original hardware. But, Xenosaga is also a perfect example of why emulation is so important since there's no other way to play these games. And since Namco is seeing any money from used copies you're not punishing the creators. Either way you're in for a treat since these are such criminally overlooked RPGs.

Last edited:

ZevBenjamin

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I feel V1 and Refrain are the most likely, with V4 as a possibility.

V1 for its status as the original design, while also paying tribute to Xenosaga Episode 1, the first game Monolith Soft developed as a company.
Refrain as an updated, more Nintendo-friendly design. It was created to be "The symbol of Xenosaga," and creating an entirely new variant solely for use as a cameo would be rather strange. I expect Refrain to be a Nintendo standard moving forward.

V4 for being her most widely marketed version, as well as ostensibly her most powerful form within the context of the series. That said, CERO may take issue with V4, which could complicate things.

KOS-MOS' stats in the games are an example of Ludonarrative Dissonance, or "When game mechanics do not align with story elements." Though her speed stat is low for the sake of gameplay (offering a balanced party with unique strengths and weaknesses), It is displayed several times through cut-scenes that she is substantially more fleet of foot than the other members. Perhaps the most explicit example of this being...
When the party deliberates on how to prevent Proto-Merkabah from colliding with the Kukai Foundation, knowing they would have to dismantle it from an inside terminal, KOS-MOS volunteers to be left behind for the task. Not out of empathy or self-sacrifice, but the entirely logical assessment that she is the fastest runner, and therefore has the best odds of activating the sequence while also evacuating in time.
It is also worth noting that the Speed stat in particular is fairly arbitrary, or otherwise more closely represents weight than agility. The two characters with the lowest speed stats, Ziggy and KOS-MOS, are also the heaviest. The two with the highest speed stats, MOMO and Jr, are also the lightest. MOMO is the lightest, and thus boasts the highest Speed stat, but as an Observational Realian, she's also the least athletic member of the party.

To clarify, Dinah is not an A.M.W.S.(Assault Maneuver Weapon System), but an E.S. (Ein Sof) Unit. While superficially similar to A.M.W.S. Units, an E.S. is able to efficiently draw power from the Zohar, which makes them substantially more powerful.
I was also thinking V1, Re: and possibly V4. And strange Dinah and I were talking about this a while back, but literally no Xenosaga content is in smash. Heck KOS-MOS isnt even in as a spirit, despite being the rarest blade (which some rare blades are spirits in Ultimate). Nintendo created a RE: version of KOS-MOS and i find it difficult to believe it was solely for being a cameo in XBC2.
No hard evidence of course but i would assume they plan to do a lot more with KOS-MOS. We just hope whatever it is, it is also smash related xD

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
V4 can have the cleavage covered up and the area below the skirt either voided, or give her shorts like with :ultcorrinf:. V3 is sooooooo not getting in tho lmao

Re: could use some tweaks like removing the core crystal.

Alternatively, and hear me out:

completely new exclusive to Smash design.

D

Deleted member

E.S. Are basically AMWS built to use the Vessels of Anima, the Mecha have specific Model name but are named by their Vessel.

The reason why I went off on KOS-MOS not being fast was from a gameplay perspective not necessarily a story one like you mentioned.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
V4 can have the cleavage covered up and the area below the skirt either voided, or give her shorts like with :ultcorrinf:. V3 is sooooooo not getting in tho lmao

If Sakurai was inclined to add V3, that design is easy to cover up as well. Just refer to Juri's redesign in Street Fighter V. Her story mode appearance had her midriff exposed and mid-cleavage showing. When she was announced as a playable character later on, they gave her a skin-tight suit beneath her jacket to cover her up. I'd imagine they could do the same for V3. Putting that aside, all it can be remembered for is how she jobs against T-elos, so it's V1/Re & V4 or bust (n-no pun intended...).

I don't see a Smash design happening personally. Re already feels like the "Nintendofied" version, so they'd likely go with that look instead. Not that I'd mind! I love her sleek, neon, and detailed design a whole lot. I also agree that V4 isn't all that difficult to modify under CERO's breath. I can see them go about it certain ways, like giving her the Corrin treatment as you stated. Sakurai can also modify D-TENERITAS in such a way that the cloth over the cleavage doesn't undergo a cut-out. Instead, you get something akin to a chest beam, and maybe even have her clutch against it, as if to hold it in her hands. It'd convey its utility better without upsetting CERO or the moral guardians.

KΩS-MOS

Smash Rookie
How many of you guys actually played Xenosaga?
Played and beat all 3 games on PS2 as a child when each of them came out. My brother left with the PS2 when he moved out but I still kept them, of course :3
I really wish they would make an HD remaster for the Switch though ><

Last edited:

Natlo

Smash Cadet

I mean, I get that the under cleavage is big, but put some mesh over that and V3 is actually more conservative than say, zero suit Samus' sports bra and bike shorts combo.

Though it probably won't be V2 or V3 unless they do all of them, ala hero.

PS: I forgot V3s gluteal cleavage. Probably easier to cover up than the frontal cleavage.

D

Deleted member

Admittedly I haven't been able to, though the way I found out about her was through project x zone and she was one of my favorite units. Tbh I should go and try to emulate the games.
I wish I could replay them but my computer is a toaster.

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
Admittedly I haven't been able to, though the way I found out about her was through project x zone and she was one of my favorite units. Tbh I should go and try to emulate the games.
Are the Project X Zone games any good? I was tempted to check out the second one (I think?) because of KOS-MOS teaming up with Fiora, but I never got around to it.

D

Deleted member

Merry Christmas everyone!

Here's to getting our girl next year! January is just a few days away...

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Merry Christmas everyone!

Here's to getting our girl next year! January is just a few days away...
She and Master Chief are pretty much my current prediction for FP5 though I'm leaning more towards her at this point.

Definitely down for her. She seems really interesting and could have an really interesting, unique moveset.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Are the Project X Zone games any good? I was tempted to check out the second one (I think?) because of KOS-MOS teaming up with Fiora, but I never got around to it.
As someone who bought both Project X Zone 1 and 2 recently, yeah I find them both fun. I'd also recommend emulating Namco x Capcom for the PS2 as 1. It's Japanese exclusive 2. So you can easily put on the English patch.

That said in 1 she teams up with T-elos as she made her realize "Hey, we're probably not gonna get home without us working together whether you like it or not." But you don't get them till about chapter 20 though you encounter T-elos quite a lot. Including her threatening to kill the guy from that one capcom game where you're in a zombie infested mall after saying he gets /one/ picture of her since he asked.

I forget when you get KOS-MOS and Fiora in 2 but I think its earlier than Chapter 20. Also you get T-elos and Mumkhar being just the bestest of friends so that's a thing.

Namco x Capcom though has KOS-MOS, Shion, and MOMO but I haven't played past the tutorial (where you get them as well as our main two characters of the X Zone Series) since I got a new computer and have yet to download all my emulators again.

Dunno about Super Robot Wars though where KOS-MOS is also dragged along for the main story and I think T-elos is in one of them too?

Again, though this proves she's the crossover queen of namco.

I know gamestops sell used copies very cheap and still in good condition, so I'd suggest seeing if any of your local ones carry used copies of them.

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
As someone who bought both Project X Zone 1 and 2 recently, yeah I find them both fun. I'd also recommend emulating Namco x Capcom for the PS2 as 1. It's Japanese exclusive 2. So you can easily put on the English patch.

That said in 1 she teams up with T-elos as she made her realize "Hey, we're probably not gonna get home without us working together whether you like it or not." But you don't get them till about chapter 20 though you encounter T-elos quite a lot. Including her threatening to kill the guy from that one capcom game where you're in a zombie infested mall after saying he gets /one/ picture of her since he asked.

I forget when you get KOS-MOS and Fiora in 2 but I think its earlier than Chapter 20. Also you get T-elos and Mumkhar being just the bestest of friends so that's a thing.

Namco x Capcom though has KOS-MOS, Shion, and MOMO but I haven't played past the tutorial (where you get them as well as our main two characters of the X Zone Series) since I got a new computer and have yet to download all my emulators again.

Dunno about Super Robot Wars though where KOS-MOS is also dragged along for the main story and I think T-elos is in one of them too?

Again, though this proves she's the crossover queen of namco.

I know gamestops sell used copies very cheap and still in good condition, so I'd suggest seeing if any of your local ones carry used copies of them.
Lol, that part with T-elos and Frank West was pretty funny though XD I miss PXZ1.

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
Umm, I actually really enjoyed the first one. I never fully finished the second one. The only downside there could be with the game is that you could be overwhelmed with all the enemies you gotta fight. I was near the end of the second game and there was like a bunch if enemies surrounding me lol. Beating the final boss of the first game felt pretty goo tbh.
I wish I could replay them but my computer is a toaster.
Playing on your 3ds is also a option lol

D

Deleted member

Umm, I actually really enjoyed the first one. I never fully finished the second one. The only downside there could be with the game is that you could be overwhelmed with all the enemies you gotta fight. I was near the end of the second game and there was like a bunch if enemies surrounding me lol. Beating the final boss of the first game felt pretty goo tbh.

Playing on your 3ds is also a option lol
I was talking about the Xenosaga Trilogy

Prince777

REIMU AND KOS-MOS FOR SMASH!
NNID
songokuthegreat
Switch FC
SW-3912-2310-8722
Merry Christmas y'all! It's been an interesting, hectic, and somewhat disappointing year of speculation to say the least. As we approach a new decade, here's to hoping to even happier and more prosperous times.

Regardless of whether or not KOS-MOS is FP5 or even makes it to Ultimate's DLC cycle at all, we are a strong force and our voices will eventually allow her to become playable in a future installment.

D

Deleted member

Merry Christmas y'all! It's been an interesting, hectic, and somewhat disappointing year of speculation to say the least. As we approach a new decade, here's to hoping to even happier and more prosperous times.

Regardless of whether or not KOS-MOS is FP5 or even makes it to Ultimate's DLC cycle at all, we are a strong force and our voices will eventually allow her to become playable in a future installment.
Haven’t I seen you on Gfaqs?

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
To the support group, hope you all are keeping up the momentum for her over the holidays. I'm still sticking to here. Been pretty busy.

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
Hi guys. It's been quite a while, hasn't it?

Haven't been on Smashboards for months now. My enjoyment died out here and responsibilities from the real world came.

So naturally, I dipped. I'm on discord (which I find more at home for me then foruming) nowadays, still in touch of some of the KOS MOS supporters here thanks to a mutual server.

Since this is one of the few threads I care about, i just wanted to drop by say Merry Christmas and I hope everyone is enjoying their time of holiday!

Top Bottom