• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Koopa Questions: a Bowser Q&A Thread

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Metaknight actually isn't the best secondary for everyone...If a character has a certain problem like say, D3, I would pick Ice Climbers over Metaknight any day. If there's a hard counter for character X, why would I pick Metaknight? Almost every character in the game has developed strategies to combat MK, and although the matchups are still in his favor, I would still gamble for that counter.

I'm not really looking for a secondary, I'm just asking who has a similar playstyle to Bowser, if anyone. Sorry that my original question was so vague

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
<_________________< I get the feeling no one is understanding my question...I'm not LOOKING for a new secondary :L I know what secondaries are good/****ty/amazing/weird for Bowser.

I'm asking, what character (if any) has a similar playstyle to Bowser? I feel like I should really know this, and the answer is probably no one since no one really relies on Grab Releases, an out-of-shield move and a side special.

Then again, I've been away from Brawl for like 2 months; what do I know?

Flayl

Smash Hero
Well, Bowser is pretty unique, don't think you're going to find another character with a beast OoS option AND a command grab.

Command grabs: Diddy, Wario, Dedede, Lucario, Kirby, Yoshi, Captain Falcon, Ganondorf
Good UpB's Oos: MK, Marth, Mario, Samus
Grounded spacing with Jab/Tilts: Snake, R.O.B. sometimes, DK sometimes, Ike

See none of those really mix, I think the closest are probably Marth, Dedede and DK.

Flayl

Smash Hero
I actually remembered him but thought the command grab was a bit too situational. Edited him in anyway.

calv

Smash Cadet
No one has a similar play style to Bowser, but I find Ganon and DK are similar in strength and weight so I tend to be comfortable using them, and they can both combo and have crazy kill moves. And they are as fun to use as Bowser. Especially Ganon

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
I'm asking, what character (if any) has a similar playstyle to Bowser? I feel like I should really know this, and the answer is probably no one since no one really relies on Grab Releases, an out-of-shield move and a side special.
Hmm Marth ? He relies on GR in the MK matchup, he has an OOS up B and his side B is, well, you know.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
My question was already answered...I feel like I knew the answer. Anyway. I wasn't talking about people who rely on grab releases in ONE matchup. If I wanted that I'd just play a Ness and Lucas all of my Brawl life. lol

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
What top tier matchups do you guys like to play as Bowser the most?

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Snake/Falco.

Marth isn't really top tier but Vex forced the matchup onto me and I like it now lmfao.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Snake/Falco.

Marth isn't really top tier but Vex forced the matchup onto me and I like it now lmfao.
Cool. I'm definitely liking using Bowser over PT in the Snake matchup, and I'm working on the Marth MU. Why Falco in particular?

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
I've always been asked that question, and I've never been able to give a sincere answer. I just like playing against the risk and pressure of being grabbed.

It's like, you **** up ONE time and 60%/a spike to death is stacked on you. I like that risk; it forces me to play really smart and to the best of my ability.

Besides, once I'm past like...40%, I can start moving to the middle of the stage with no real worry. Until then I'll just sit there eating lasers and staying as close to the ledge as possible to minimize chaingrab damage and maximize laser damage. This MU also teaches me patience. Instead of rolling like an idiot and getting killed, I can sit there and use my enemy's best tool against me. Fun stuff.

I also LOVE the fact that Falco's recovery is predictable. It just opens up so many options for punishing, and he has our grab release going against him (although throwing out a grab against Falco at v50% is a bit risky)

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I like playing Wario. I find him a challenge, but not an 'oh ****' challenge.
I remember reading about the grab release infinite on Wario a while back, but I can't seem to find it now. How do you do it?

My Bowser always gets ***** whenever I play PhantomX's Wario. XD

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
You grab him. Ain't much else to it.

At least you don't play his Ganon hopefully.
I've only played against his Ganon with Bowser in doubles--not a good choice, haha. Luckily PT beats Dorf pretty soundly as long as you aren't dumb offstage.

Guilhe

Smash Ace
Hello there Bowser players! I speak in the name of Godz, the Brazilian Bowser player whose videos were posted here recently, because he is too lazy to make his own account (or to write in English, whatever). He is grateful for your commentaries and would like to know more about the grab release to Klaw. The setup is an aerial or a ground release? Does it work with which characters? Do you have to buffer the dash?

Thanks in advance.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Klawhopping is interesting. There's no set guideline in using it, it's up to the individual player to make the best use of it. Using it blindly as an approach is a poor way of using it unless you know exactly what characters this works on, and when you need the Klaw to come out.

It's difficult to explain how to use a technique that everyone uses differently. lol

Hello there Bowser players! I speak in the name of Godz, the Brazilian Bowser player whose videos were posted here recently, because he is too lazy to make his own account (or to write in English, whatever). He is grateful for your commentaries and would like to know more about the grab release to Klaw. The setup is an aerial or a ground release? Does it work with which characters? Do you have to buffer the dash?

Thanks in advance.
Check the grab release thread. It's listed there.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
What MrEh said is right; All the Bowsers here have different ways of incorporating the Klaw into their...styles of fighting. Sometimes, it's matchup dependent, which makes it even more difficult to explain.

The most we can say is that it's an infinite jump. Just learn the timing, and how to time it consistently, and then see how you branch off from there. It also depends on what type of character you're going against. I wouldn't ISJR aimlessly against a Marth, for example. Just see what works.

Or...you could just watch Vex do it, I guess.

Flayl

Smash Hero

Thanks in advance.
It's a ground release (although you can actually do it both ways). To grab release into a klaw, grab someone then immediately start mashing so that your thumb rolls from B to A and slowly tilt the control stick forward.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I'm sure everyone's faced this at some point: What do you do against a MK that spams Mach Tornado?

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
SuperFortress that hoe.

Don't even think about the air yo, it's a figment of your imagination in the world of lol.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Hey guys I'm considering becoming a Boswer main, and I was wondeirng what the best control scheme was.

I'm basically just referring to tap jump and c-sticking.

I'm guessing tap jump on is better for easier WF OOS and grabrelease stuff, and t-sticking would clearly be best correct?

Flayl

Smash Hero
If you're comfortable with tap jump on and shielding/grabbing with the default buttons, leave it on default.

Otherwise consider using X or Y as your jump and putting grab/shield on the other one.

If you don't like tap jump on set one of your shoulder buttons to jump.

Top Bottom