• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Koopa Questions: a Bowser Q&A Thread

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Thats a really vague question. You can jab cancel into any move.

:phone:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
One thing I've never understood is whether crouching actually reduces the time between attacks. I've done it with crouch cancelling, and without, but I can't tell the difference.

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
IIRC, you don't actually need to do the down input unless you're trying to do Jab1-Jab1.

Everything else, you just link them as soon as Jab1 ends, but not too early, otherwise you'll end up doing Jab2. If you do it too late, then you're obviously giving the opponent a chance to evade/block/retaliate.

Generally, I see Bowsers profit from doing Jab-Grab and Jab-Klaw the most. Jab-Ftilt , Jab-Bowser Bomb and Jab-Dtilt can also be potentially profitable. Obviously, you can mix in as many Jab1s as you want to try before you followup with a tilt/grab/klaw/bomb, but going for two is risky enough, and three is downright crazy. They're called jab mixups for a reason. Nothing is guaranteed, but they're seriously worth learning. I need to incorporate them more often into my game.

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
Just finish the jab unless you know they are bad, take what you can get. If you want to be a champion, jab grab, because it leads into everything else.

D

Deleted member 189823

I Jab cancel a ton. It's my main method for damage-racking. I tend to Jab-Jab to Grab or to F-Tilt often.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Just finish the jab unless you know they are bad, take what you can get. If you want to be a champion, jab grab, because it leads into everything else.
This is how I do things.

Instead of doing jab into something that may not work, I go jab-jab and then go into something that may not work. lol

D

Deleted member 189823

Quick question reguarding buffering after GR.

D-Tilt and BBomb. Do you have to press down all the way down or just slightly to buffer it before your opponent is able to react? These would really help me against my harder MUs if they actually work out of a GR.

Flayl

Smash Hero
These ****ing questions

I don't even

edit: 2 seconds of inner rage later:

You shouldn't press down all the way because you will make Bowser crouch instead of doing the buffered move. Practice holding down enough for Bowser to D-Tilt while still standing.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
yo these questions lmao

the past 10 or so questions are already in introductory posts in threads -_-

oh well.

D

Deleted member 189823

What has the world come to when we can't ask our fellow Bowser veterans simple but effective questions that would really help us throughout our metagame.

Oh lawd.

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
We have answered many questions multiple times, though. We honestly should find a way to update the front page section of previously answered questions. Does Hobobloke come on the site anymore?

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
What has the world come to when we can't ask our fellow Bowser veterans simple but effective questions that would really help us throughout our metagame.

Oh lawd.

Woah, woah, woah.

D-Tilt...without crouching? What else have I missed on. @_@
I'd like to know more about it, please. Do I just lower the stick to the lowest possible?
Well, I was reading Flayl's (awesome) GR thread, and it says that to buffer the D-Tilt, you need to hold the control stick down low, but not enough as to enter the crouch animation:
really now????

this was literally less than a month and a half ago Swei, come on now.

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
We did that with the MU thread, and we really should do that with this thread. Hobo is banned from the site, apparently.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
if you want, I can update the intro post.

It really won't help, I'm telling you now because we've been getting repeated questions that have been answered for years now.

I'll definitely update it though

D

Deleted member 189823

I just misunderstood what Uncle told me at that moment. 8P
C'mon mang, don't be like that.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
I don't expect you to read 127 pages but the least you could do is at least look back a page, or look at the thread that holds the specific information for your question. not only do we have a Q&A thread, we also have a thread dedicated to grab releases and all necessary (and important!/simple!) information you would need to get a small loving-parent-push into your Bowser career.

I don't want to sound like a douchebag, that's the last thing I want to come off as (I may be heavily sarcastic), but seriously, you could save yourself the trouble and save us the facepalms. Just look back one page. In fact, increase your post-per-page ratio to 40 (go to user CP -> edit options -> thread options), and decrease the amount of pages that are in this thread. You'll actually be able to find even more questions and answers! Unbelievable, right?

I seriously want to take over this thread, I really do love helping people, but I also despise dumb or redundant questions. I know for a fact that adding the q/a's to the front page will do little to nothing, but it's still worth it in the long run.

and to answer your question about which jab cancels I use, I use none, or I do but very rarely. It's often pointless, and for the sake of the situation going through with both jabs will usually fare better for you (unless your opponent is suffering from RCO lag, which you should always be on the look out for).

Jab cancels usually only work on people that really don't know what they're doing. If you have a hold on the person's habits (in that instance then yes, they've already lost the game, they're bad), then good for you, go ahead. Bowser's jab cancel stuff can usually be stuffed (again, assuming no RCO lag) by a faster move. Jab 1 into Jab 1 into X followup looks nice, especially on paper but in actuality is probably the dumbest thing ever. In an actual match you will be more focused on getting someone out of your face in the fashion that is the least risky than going for jab-jabs that can be SDI'd/what have you. This is why I always have and always will appreciate Ixis' style of Bowser play, but it really had him doing unnecessary ****.

again, like Vex said, if your opponent is bad or you have them on lock then by all means do it. In my opinion if your opponent's habits are that exploitable then theoretically they should already be in a rut--they should already be on the track to losing the game.

The problem with that theory is that we play Bowser.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I'm kinda surprised at all this heat towards the questions being asked. Sometimes people don't have the time to read walls of text, so that's why they post a question.

Take jab cancel questions for example. They aren't like grab-release questions in that it isn't particularly obvious which thread the information will be in. Sometimes people don't have the time to read all the massive OPs, so they just leave a question and then come back to the computer later to find that someone has given them the information they were looking for.

I'd honestly just be happy that there are people even asking questions about Bowser in the first place.

Now no one is going to ask questions anymore lol.

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Despite our annoyance at constantly repeated questions, we still continue to answer them, because I care, Limit cares, and most of the Bowsers on this board in general are always willing to lend a helping hand. Nobody should be discouraged at asking further questions, because it's not like we're on the verge of shutting out everybody or anything like that. We just want to minimize/eliminate the repeats, and I believe that an updated front page (along with a title change like "READ THIS BEFORE ASKING ANYTHING") is a step in the right direction. The Marth video critiques board is a great example of what we should have. They have one convenient thread that all potential Marths are directed to before asking for a critique, containing answers to common Marth questions and problems.

Limit, if you want to take this thread over, I'll shoot Hylian a PM asap.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Dre, Im not the type of person to be satisfied with what's right in front of me. I'm not easily impressed or satisfied (as everyone here knows), so I would never "just be happy" that someone is asking questions. I would take one good question a week over 100 reiterations of the same question.

That being said, Uncle nailed my sentiments perfectly. None of us will ignore question that's posted, because that will get us nowhere. I care enough to respond to the same **** because there's nothing we can do right now to change it, so we have no choice but to repeat ourselves. Now that the option of updating the thread is present, it could be possible to change the format and even the quality of questions asked.

All of us were at a point where we asked stuff like this, so I'm not stressing at all.

I think we misunderstood each other. I'm not speaking on tru's question about jab cancelling because like you said, there's no clear thread or OP for that. I was more irritated at Swei's stuff because he had asked that before. Tru had responded to what I directed at Swei, when he never actually asked a bad question. His response is what most people usually say, the "im too lazy to look back" response, so I responded to that.

He's new here, there's no guidance. It's not his fault at all.

:phone:

Flayl

Smash Hero
My feelings mirror Limit's exactly. I get peeved when people ask something that they've already asked before or that can be easily found in the original post in one of the stickies, but that hasn't stopped me from helping anyone yet.

D

Deleted member 189823

I just forgot. -_-
I had to ask again because the D-tilt sometimes didn't work out of a GR.

D

Deleted member 189823

How could I if I completely forgot I asked that question. -_-

D

Deleted member 189823

Actually nevermind, I won't bother arguing about something silly when I can easily admit my fault.

I mean, I'm a Bowser main after all. :awesome:

D

Deleted member 189823

Actually, I'm curious to know what Wolf mains' atributes are in this case.

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I can't speak for all Wolf mains, but I can speak for Seagull Joe, Ishieymoro, and MCPeePants, since I've met them all in person. They're chill, legit guys.

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
It means easy to get along with, and generally cool-headed. Once again, I'm only saying this about the Wolf mains I've personally met.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
One thing I've never understood is whether crouching actually reduces the time between attacks. I've done it with crouch cancelling, and without, but I can't tell the difference.
To put it simply : during jab1 there's a window of time where the game will read any A input as "do jab2".
What is important is that this window usually lasts a few frames longer than the jab1 IASA frames, meaning that if you want to follow up your jab1 with a move in the fastest way possible you have to buffer something that has no A input.

Crouch just happens to be the most practical thing for this because it can be canceled at its first frames, but you can also do it with back (to turn around), shield (to cancel into grab or JC up B), etc.

The only thing that doesn't interrupt the jab sequence afaik is forward, so you can jab1, walk a (very) little distance then jab2.

TL;DR : you only need to jab cancel if the move you want to follow up with has an A input (jab again, Ftilt, Grab...).
For everything else you can buffer normally.

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I already answered his question, but I made the mistake of telling him that he only needed to do the cancel for Jab 1 followups, so I thank you for the correction, as well as the greater elaboration you provided. ;)

We should put your post on the front page.

Top Bottom