• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Koopa Questions: a Bowser Q&A Thread

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
I use UTilt for things other than KOing lol, but it's rather strong anyway.

Save FSmash, USmash (since UTilt is better overall), Bowser Bomb. UAir is hard to land with so it'll probably be fairly fresh. BAir, as an edgeguarding tool, typically doesn't need to be saved (but it can KO anyway). FTilt's better than DTilt in most situations so it, too, will be pretty fresh.

Ledge Bombs are nice occasionally, too.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Thanks, how do you guys land uair KOs?

With Ivysaur, who I'm pretty sure has a slightly laggier uair than Bowser, I always would fast fall it on more of horizontal plane with the opponent rather than coming from underneath them, it often catches them by surprise if you just save it for one KO per match, so I'm assuming you guys do this too right?

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
It's also got pretty good range to catch a foe that foolishly leaves themselves in fallspecial above Bowser.

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
Dre. it's got too much start-up lag to do that and I think he's to big and the hitbox is his head so he'll normally hit the ground instead of hitting them though this is just theorycraft.

Don't use dsmash much at all! The moves you'll find yourself using most are upb, klaw, fair, ftilt.

Kill moves are as already stated, grab release is the easiest way to set up a easy kill, grab release to dtilt/fair is guaranteed on most characters.

Sliq

Smash Master
There is no point in using d tilt other than killing, so it is pretty easy to save (f tilt = damage, d tilt = ko).

Flayl

Smash Hero
If the opportunity arises when UTilt will hit but USmash or NAir won't, by all means, use it. UTilt has more ending lag than both of the other moves, so I'd only use it if you have low frame advantage.

Both USmash and NAir deal more damage too.

Sliq

Smash Master
I'm going to test sh air dodge > land behind your opponent > up tilt.

I feel like this will work against characters that sh aerials a lot, assuming you start the air dodge before they sh.

I'm also going to try reverse up tilt when the opponent is on the edge to see if I can hit ledge jumpers.

B!squick

Smash Master
I'm going to test sh air dodge > land behind your opponent > up tilt.

I feel like this will work against characters that sh aerials a lot, assuming you start the air dodge before they sh.

I'm also going to try reverse up tilt when the opponent is on the edge to see if I can hit ledge jumpers.
That would be sweet if it did. Jump and use a Klaw to turn around and UTilt instead of jumping for mind games... in fact, now that I think about it, I swear I've down this before. O.o You could mix it up with a turning Klaw Hop to BAir/DAir.

Sliq

Smash Master
That would be sweet if it did. Jump and use a Klaw to turn around and UTilt instead of jumping for mind games... in fact, now that I think about it, I swear I've down this before. O.o You could mix it up with a turning Klaw Hop to BAir/DAir.
I like that bair idea. I'm going to try that.

NNID
Budget_Player
I'm looking for ideas for Bowser in Brawl- (see my sig for details).

So far, this is what I have (more or less):

BOWSER

-Whirling Fortress always has the strong hitbox.
-On the upsmash hitbox where bowser hits the ground, shockwave will be sent out that trips anyone in it (think maybe slightly bigger than DK's down-B area) (deals 9 damage). Anyone directly below him will be grounded.
-Opponent cannot influence Klaw DI. Klaw damage up by 4-8 (not entirely sure)
-Air speed x1.6
-Dash speed x1.4
-Dthrow should set up for ftilt (bury?)
-Ftilt speed x1.7, damage and knockback.
-Dtilt range up by sliding (Bowser should slide forward slightly when he dtilts)
-Dsmash creates a small whirlwind, raising it's terrible range up (tornado draws in for the rest of the move, imagine the tornado having about 0.5x the radius of the attack, starting from the edge of dsmash's hitbox)
-Fair has a fire hitbox slightly beyond the claw that will deal 16% and has decent knockback.
-Dair will bury the opponent if they get hit in the landing animation; spikes, 30% ALR, should do around 40 if all hits connect (about double the damage of what each hit does).
-Bair should hit at about 350-370 angle, double the speed after the strong hitbox stops. Strong hitbox damage up to 19%, should kill earlier.
-Uair damage up to 23, x2.3 speed after hitbox vanishes.
-Fire on firebreathing should be bigger (1.5x-2x) and do about twice as much damage (SDI and DI will be improved, after all).
-Heavy Armor to 5% on all actions and animations.
-Earthquake hitbox on down-B landing similar to usmash but bigger (damage: 11 on earthquake hitbox). Down-B landing on floor has little pillars of earth spring up around it (? Not sure about this one; think SSBM gigabowser)
-Fthrow high angle, fire element, should combo into stuff. +2-5%
-Bthrow low angle, kills very early. +4-6%

Anyone have any thoughts as to what bowser should be capable of/how bowser should be broken in Brawl-?

MrEh

Smash Hero
I like running off or falling through a platform into a Utilt. Totally bogus, but it works sometimes.

The Brown Scourge

Smash Journeyman
Blue Firebreath!!!!!!!
During a Roll, bowser teleports from point A to point B
Idea from super mario 64, second bowser battle where u fight him in the lava sea level. He would jump and the whole platform would slant to a 45 degree angle. In certain situations bowzer would teleport if u got to close to his tail

What moves of Bowser is used to kill and what moves of Bowser is used to rack up damage?

B!squick

Smash Master
I'm looking for ideas for Bowser in Brawl- (see my sig for details).

So far, this is what I have (more or less):

BOWSER

-Whirling Fortress always has the strong hitbox.
-On the upsmash hitbox where bowser hits the ground, shockwave will be sent out that trips anyone in it (think maybe slightly bigger than DK's down-B area) (deals 9 damage). Anyone directly below him will be grounded.
-Opponent cannot influence Klaw DI. Klaw damage up by 4-8 (not entirely sure)
-Air speed x1.6
-Dash speed x1.4
-Dthrow should set up for ftilt (bury?)
-Ftilt speed x1.7, damage and knockback.
-Dtilt range up by sliding (Bowser should slide forward slightly when he dtilts)
-Dsmash creates a small whirlwind, raising it's terrible range up (tornado draws in for the rest of the move, imagine the tornado having about 0.5x the radius of the attack, starting from the edge of dsmash's hitbox)
-Fair has a fire hitbox slightly beyond the claw that will deal 16% and has decent knockback.
-Dair will bury the opponent if they get hit in the landing animation; spikes, 30% ALR, should do around 40 if all hits connect (about double the damage of what each hit does).
-Bair should hit at about 350-370 angle, double the speed after the strong hitbox stops. Strong hitbox damage up to 19%, should kill earlier.
-Uair damage up to 23, x2.3 speed after hitbox vanishes.
-Fire on firebreathing should be bigger (1.5x-2x) and do about twice as much damage (SDI and DI will be improved, after all).
-Heavy Armor to 5% on all actions and animations.
-Earthquake hitbox on down-B landing similar to usmash but bigger (damage: 11 on earthquake hitbox). Down-B landing on floor has little pillars of earth spring up around it (? Not sure about this one; think SSBM gigabowser)
-Fthrow high angle, fire element, should combo into stuff. +2-5%
-Bthrow low angle, kills very early. +4-6%

Anyone have any thoughts as to what bowser should be capable of/how bowser should be broken in Brawl-?
All of that sounds pretty broken already. Anything else and I think we'd putting icing on a cake that already has plenty. Not sure how this Bowser would stack up against the rest of the cast though, I assume some pretty brutal changes would be in store for them as well. I'll have to check this out.

Nelo Vergil

Smash Master
Hi there everyone, I have a question Im sure has been answered before, but Id rather not go through 47 pages to find it (Just picked up Bowser, awesome king is awesome =D)

Anyway, my question is on the grab release chaingrabs, last night I tried practicing it against the computers (not the best idea, but I figured in this case, itd work), first against lvl8 D3, however when he escapes the grab and I go to regrab him (ground release) hes either out of range, or when I get in range he easily could of (and had) reacted before I could get it in, air releasing didnt go much better. I also tried against Falco and Mario, no luck there either. Is this actually a CG, and if so, how the heck is it done?

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
Mario can't be air release CG'd but the rest should work. It's just a matter of getting the timing down, you can't buffer a run out of the release and you have to know the range of your grab fairly well to know how early you can grab and still get them. Just keep trying and you'll get the hang of it.

Nelo Vergil

Smash Master
Is the ground release regrab an actual CG though, the wording kinda made me think it was worded that way (while air release regrab is stated a chain grab) so its more of a act before your opponent can sorta thing? Also this is a horribly noobish question, but Ive never really played a grab heavy character before, does Shield grabbing have more range than just a standing grab?

Thanks for the answer so far btw, starting to get the air release down better

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
The ground releases are chain grabs too in the sense that if performed correctly the opponent cannot avoid being re-grabbed, they are harder to time than air release CG's though but once again that just comes with practice.

Standing grabs and shield grabs have identical range.

Nelo Vergil

Smash Master
Ah k, well Ill just have to make alot of time to Practice this, my 2nd tourny's coming up and I wanna use Bowser (and maybe 1 D3 counterpick, but that would be for only one match anyway), so Im trying my to get my Bowser up to snuff, even though everything is essentially up-hill, he still can easily do wonders against essentially anyone.

Thanks for the help Lord, and you as well Flayl, Im sure Ill like it on this character board.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
While we're on the topic of grab releases I too have a few nooby questions.

Flayl when you said we should dashgrab to regrab, does that mean we shouldn't dash-sheild-grab?

I'm still abit confused about how to force air and ground releases. I know you can force a GR if you pummel them while they're about to escape, but will they always AR if you don't pummel them? Or do they have a way to force a ground release.

Do the timings for grab release mixups and regrabs differ from char to char?

Finally, what would be the best way to practice them on your own, would it be to just set a CPU to evade or to stand still and just practice?

Thanks in advance.

KingKong_ad

Smash Ace
While we're on the topic of grab releases I too have a few nooby questions.

Flayl when you said we should dashgrab to regrab, does that mean we shouldn't dash-sheild-grab?

I'm still abit confused about how to force air and ground releases. I know you can force a GR if you pummel them while they're about to escape, but will they always AR if you don't pummel them? Or do they have a way to force a ground release.

Do the timings for grab release mixups and regrabs differ from char to char?

Finally, what would be the best way to practice them on your own, would it be to just set a CPU to evade or to stand still and just practice?

Thanks in advance.
Just Dash grab

there is 2 situations:
-If the character touch the ground with his feet, he will always ground break if he does nothing. If he tryes to mash jump he can air break

-If the character doesnt touch the ground, he will always air break if bowser doesnt pummel him to try to force a ground break

bowser has always 10frames advantage over his opponent (exception DK:0, ness and lucas:20) the only thing that can change with characters is the distance you have to travel to get another grab or any follow up.Farther you have to go, harder the timing will be.

First try with characters who dont go far from you when they ground break in training mode. I prefer setting the cpu to attack. Like this you will get punished if you miss the timing. If the cpu is in evade you may still get him with a bad timing.

B!squick

Smash Master
Well, I don't know if the CPU is anything to go by in the first place. Bowser can follow up a FThrow with a grab if you believe it.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Grab releases are about muscle memory and prediction.

With practice, you'll know the proper timing to buffer a dashing grab, and you'll be able to predict when your opponent will break out of your grab.

Pay attention to your opponent's percent, and how they're mashing out of your grab. With practice, you can stagger your pummels in a way where you can force your opponent to ground break more.

Alfa

Smash Apprentice
Every once in a while with Bowser, after landing from the Koopa Klaw (as an attack), instead of bouncing back, I land laglessly on the ground, is the reason for this known?

Alfa

Smash Apprentice
You didn't hit the jump button ^_^
By the attack, I meant that I'd grabbed my opponent, leapt up into the air with them, done a flip, and come back down for 18% (fresh). Not that I just used it in the air...

Edit: I clearly remember it hapening on Yoshi's island, but I know I've done it other places too.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Oh, that probably has something to do with uneven terrain, it's happened to me too but I can't remember when.

Trouble King

Smash Apprentice
Everyone knows you can fire breath while falling(over the edge) to stop alot of gimping attempts, but recently I discovered a trick while brawling friends that main filthy trigger-happy space animals. I first used it on Falco whom was comming towards me and ended up under me after the breath, and I footstool-hopped her to death. I of course thought it was a fluke that would never happen again and saved the replay. However I repeated the trick on a Fox main and eventually other characters in general, but infrequently. I only have the replays of Fox and Falco's crushed skulls. My question: Has anyone else done this, or does anyone care to try and replicate it? Or is it too situational?

In short, Fire breath->footstool (off-stage), legit or ****?

/poor attempt at productivity

Trouble King

Smash Apprentice
(double post from some n00b makes forum complete)

Almost every great Falco that I brawl with shl spams to **** my approach and promply punishes me when I get near, even when I sheild approach. Falco is my worst personal matchup when I use Da King. (I hold my own against anyother character usually)How can I get around this excluding baiting via ledge camp? >_>

B!squick

Smash Master
Just walk towards them, PS the lasers and be ready for when they try to SideB past you. I believe that's what Liquid Gen said to do against Falco.

Sliq

Smash Master
If the Falco spams side b, just get close enough to them to force a side b, then fortress oos. It will hit Falco and reset you. Then wait for them to dair your shield, then up b OOS again. Then read their air dodge and grab. This is almost always how this exchange goes when I play Falcos. They always attempt to dair the first time, then afterwards they try to air dodge down.

Some will try to get far away from you and side b you from the air. Just up b OOS.

Top Bottom