• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby's "I forgot the old thread title" - Kirby Video Thread

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
I think the important thing to note here is how much shield damage stone, the down special move, does. Kirby's hammer is easily the move to use in order to punish shield breaking because of it's ability to kill at low percentage. It's the reason I am trying to incorporate Stone more in my matches even though in past iterations I wouldn't even think to.
I'd be afraid to use stone as a shield breaker, because the punishment for failing can be severe.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
Using stone as anything other than a recovery or a surprise attack is kind of foolish in my opinion. It's highly punishable. It's defenses also seemed nerfed. Still I find myself using it more than I should and it gets me punished. I tried using it as an edge guard but it feels too risky with most characters having amazing recoveries that allow them to return to the stage before I can if it fails.

Last edited:

MaximTomato

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1118-0313-9599
Hey guys, I'm new around here but I've been around this site for awhile. I thought it would be cool to help contribute to the kirby. The other day in for glory I got a spike K.O. with final cutter. It spikes just near the handle of the sword. I wondered if anyone else knew.
I have a video but I can't post it yet because I need 10 posts or something.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
You can contribute by letting me eat you to restore my HP to max! :)

Unfortunately the beam tends to prevent spiking off the edge of the stage :(

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Hey guys, I'm new around here but I've been around this site for awhile. I thought it would be cool to help contribute to the kirby. The other day in for glory I got a spike K.O. with final cutter. It spikes just near the handle of the sword. I wondered if anyone else knew.
I have a video but I can't post it yet because I need 10 posts or something.
Hello. Welcome to the Community. Please enjoy your stay.

Hmm... yes, I believe it is very well-known. I believe the problem is consistently and placement to perform the spike. Has the Beam from Final Cutter always go through projectiles and never cancel them? I just noticed in this version I cannot cancelled anything.

MaximTomato

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1118-0313-9599
Haha, Thank you for the welcome Unknownkid and GmFzzTgr! I'll post the video when I can, I was thinking of a more defensive use for it. Like when you are recovering and the opponent is trying to smack you down, then you can catch your opponent with the down spike.

And Hi Asdioh, your videos are always great to watch, I like how you were using the rock to edgegaurd vs Fox and Luigi. If it hit it would have really hurt. I also like how you use the hammer in your fights. I notice that opponents almost always try to get as far back as they can when you bring out the hammer. Maybe this is good to get some space once in awhile???

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
vs Diddy Kong http://youtu.be/N_-DYVW3StA
vs Sheik http://youtu.be/qBnTlOKl4U4
vs Pit http://youtu.be/Us8IxTUZ4IM
vs Marth http://youtu.be/_QgOpO2Ux60

All of these were on the nintendodojo ladder, so the players are good. That was my first time playing a Pit so I got pretty destroyed. The Marth guy is actually a Kirby main and I told him he should come here :3 idk if he will or not. I'm absolutely calling wifi johns on the Marth video, I was way ahead and then failed to grab the ledge at the end when I meant to so I got gimped hard, we had a shaky connection. I just thought the match was funny because I get a 0-death first stock and then lose. He's good though, and his Kirby managed to beat the same Pit that I lost to.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
@ Asdioh Asdioh

I just watched those matches you had with ZeRo. They were so good! You really should upload those, as it's a nice display on how Kirby can be played effectively, switching between defensive and aggressive mid-match to get a good balance going. I especially liked the first one.

I have a question, though. While you were fighting ZeRo, were you calm and ready to play, or did you feel pressured and shaky?

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
I can't do ladders. They're too intimidating for me. I get enough stress from for glory when I run into a good player, especially if the lag is bad.

Was playing with an aquaintaince whose been helping me improve, and then he decides to use pikachu and repeatedly spam thunder jolt while hiding under the platform on yoshi's island, knowing full well we had a lot of latency between us, so shielding and approaching was useless. Then he'd dodge away when I got close or hit me with an F smash.

He thought it was funny, punishing me for something out of my control. I thought he was being a ****. Especially when I said" "you're purposely using lag against me!" And he was like "lol, I know!".

Ended up getting super frustrated, because I know I can deal with that crap without lag. he also found that funny. He also kept devaluing my victories.

I wish we could share replays. I don't have any way to record or upload my stuff for constructive criticism.

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I can't do ladders. They're too intimidating for me. I get enough stress from for glory when I run into a good player, especially if the lag.
I can relate to this. I don't get any pressure while playing in friendlies or For Glory (even though I don't really play in FG), but I really get pressured when I'm in a ladder. It's pretty bad.

Also, lag is so gross for Kirby. Kirby's attacks come out quick but don't stay out long, so input lag doesn't help him at all.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
@ Asdioh Asdioh

I just watched those matches you had with ZeRo. They were so good! You really should upload those, as it's a nice display on how Kirby can be played effectively, switching between defensive and aggressive mid-match to get a good balance going. I especially liked the first one.

I have a question, though. While you were fighting ZeRo, were you calm and ready to play, or did you feel pressured and shaky?
I felt annoyed because it was the laggiest I've ever seen my connection and of course that's when I run into him. I wasn't nervous but I don't even know what characters he mains, probably not fox. He also doesn't know much about kirby as demonstrated by him not knowing bthrow was a kill throw.
the first couple matches were so laggy though ugh. I believe there's a Rhode Island tourney near me soon, I'll see if I can go to that and see what it's like to play people offline.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I have good news and bad news...

I'll start with the bad news first and get it out of the way:
When I downloaded the 1.0.3 patch it crashed my game (a blank, black screen immediately after starting up SSB4 3DS). Worse, it corrupted my SD card and I lost all my save game data including Replays. (I've read this happening to other people as well). So, yeah, the videos I had saved from tournaments are lost and I won't be able to upload them.

Okay, so, some good news to help balance some things out:
I went to a tournament this weekend and so I have a couple replays that I thought were cool and saved them. Unfortunately with the corrupted SD card if I shut off my game I lose all my data and replays... so I have to keep SSB4 running.

Even better news:
There was an SSB4 stream running at the tournament, so there should be some videos of my Kirby uploaded soon. I'll make sure to drop a link to them here when I find them. :)

Last edited:

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Video links!
Please excuse the problems with the mic. (The game's SFX and music work fine)

www.twitch.tv/masterfisk/b/584286206
:4kirby::4yoshi: [20:13] - t1mmy (Kirby) vs. G-man (Yoshi)
(You can also watch my Meta Knight and King Dedede, if you want.)
:4kirby: :4greninja: [2:18:00] - t1mmy (Kirby) vs t0mmy (Greninja)

www.twitch.tv/masterfisk/b/584357851
:4kirby: :4sheik: [1:05:30] - t1mmy (Kirby) vs t0mmy (Sheik)

www.twitch.tv/masterfisk/b/584381270
:4kirby: :4sheik: [00:00] - t1mmy (Kirby) vs t0mmy (Sheik) <- continued set
:4charizard: :4greninja: [07:25] - t1mmy (Charizard) vs t0mmy (Greninja) <- We decided to have a Pokémon battle.]
:4kirby: :4greninja: [13:00] - t1mmy (Kirby) vs t0mmy (Greninja)
:4kirby: :4greninja: [20:10] - t1mmy (Kirby) vs t0mmy (Greninja)

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Apparently the Twitch app doesn't let you view videos :( I tried really hard to watch those last night on my phone, but they wouldn't work in Chrome (unless they did work, and they just take FOREVER to load..) and I couldn't find them on the twitch app. I'll watch them later though!

I have some more ladder matches, mostly close games against pretty good players.

vs. Rosalina http://youtu.be/qN66LO7kruk
I lost the first match but didn't record that one :x

vs. Greninja and Diddy Kong http://youtu.be/5E_2QSYNt2k
Did you know that Greninja can't be grabbed during his shuriken? Nintendo please fix, that's really obnoxious. Happens to me ALL the time.

vs. Villager http://youtu.be/mzdfBw9cQ24
I lost the best of 3. Villager is super annoying, but in an amusing kind of way. I learned that he's basically ungimpable, and going offstage is a good way to get yourself killed. The Slingshot is really good and you need to find a way around that, especially when they set up Gyroid and then cover air options with slingshot. Also Villager's Nair might beat out some aerials, I don't know. At the very least it comes out extremely fast.

vs. Pikachu http://youtu.be/AHbQ6wEOxno
Another close 1-2 loss. Pikachu has a harder time getting KOs than Kirby, but his priority and combos are generally better, especially in the air. Since Kirby's attacks all extend his hurtbox (since his feet are part of his body and still vulnerable) stuff like Pikachu's Fair beats him. Also, the way Pikachu's body moves is something to keep in mind. One of Kirby's biggest strengths is that he can crouch under some attacks, especially from taller characters, either with his crouch or with certain moves, like landing with aerials sometimes makes him crouch a bit and he goes under. Pikachu and others such as Sheik and Greninja have similar properties, where their attack animations make their bodies move in a weird way so they dodge things that would have otherwise hit. You'll see it a lot in these videos if you're looking.

edit: oh no Timmy you had that Greninja set :(
Only advice I can see is do NOT use Final Cutter on the edge against Greninja. I don't know why Tommy didn't do it, but he can hydro pump it and get a free kill really easily.
Also apparently Greninja can Shadow Sneak out of hitstun like Megaman's upB? That's annoying, considering Kirby's uptilt combo on him is his biggest advantage.
Tommy loved running into charged smashes that first set :p
Good matches. The last match was kind of depressing though >_<
Would recommend using Upthrow more as a damage builder when you get a grab, it does the most damage, and it's not like you can followup on the other throws anyway.

Last edited:

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I have some more ladder matches, mostly close games against pretty good players.
Those were fun to watch. The video with the Villager reminds me of someone here on Smashboards saying how Villager can be losing the entire game through, but then end up winning at the end. XD But seriously, I feel like Villager gives Kirby a lot of trouble because of the ranged attacks and how he/she excels at the run-away game. Also, Villager doesn't have to worry so much about how to get the KO on Kirby since he's so light and slow.

edit: oh no Timmy you had that Greninja set :(
Only advice I can see is do NOT use Final Cutter on the edge against Greninja. I don't know why Tommy didn't do it, but he can hydro pump it and get a free kill really easily.
Also apparently Greninja can Shadow Sneak out of hitstun like Megaman's upB? That's annoying, considering Kirby's uptilt combo on him is his biggest advantage.
Tommy loved running into charged smashes that first set :p
Good matches. The last match was kind of depressing though >_<
Would recommend using Upthrow more as a damage builder when you get a grab, it does the most damage, and it's not like you can followup on the other throws anyway.
Trust me, I know how good Hydro Pump is against Final Cutter. X_X I can't say why, but I knew he wasn't going to be throwing out Hydro Pump in those instances. The problem I was having was using Final Cutter against the Water Shuriken. Either I was already stuck doing Final Cutter and then the Shuriken came after the fact, or I was just not getting the blade part to knock away the uncharged Shuriken. (It also doesn't help that Greninja can just go for full-charged Shuriken and then Final Cutter fails regardless).

The last match was depressing for me too. :\ I felt like I was distracted and losing focus a lot. Probably didn't help that I didn't have anything but half an apple that entire day. XD

U-throw does do more damage. I think I'm still trying to adjust to Kirby's new Grab game (or should I say, lack thereof). I've been looking into it more lately and while I still see the obvious fact that U-throw does more damage, I really like dancing on my opponent. Ha ha...

Is there even a reason to use D-throw. :(

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Wow, those match ups were incredible! Watching Timmy vs Tommy's Greninja first round make me rethink (Does Kirby really have a disadvantage against Greninja or is Timmy just that good) Then I saw the last round and went damn. That match up is troublesome. I'm now a little intimidated to post my videos. They are not as exciting nor tense as your guys' videos. Keep on post though. I am learning a lot and adapting your guys playstyle while mixing my own. Also, thank you for the videos by the way!

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
Also I think we can combo up throw into a fair on some characters. I doubt it's a true combo but it seems to work on dedede. I forgot if you listed that in the guide. I also find myself using d throw instead of up throw. X.x

And now you guys know my pain with villager.

Last edited:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
U-throw does do more damage. I think I'm still trying to adjust to Kirby's new Grab game (or should I say, lack thereof). I've been looking into it more lately and while I still see the obvious fact that U-throw does more damage, I really like dancing on my opponent. Ha ha...

Is there even a reason to use D-throw. :(
Nope! It does the least/tied for the least damage, and has no followups. It doesn't even separate RosaLuma like I thought it would, Luma can still hit you after the initial kicks are over. With all the random nerfs to Kirby you would think he was an SSS tier character in the last game.
Don't forget he has the second highest dps Pummel though http://smashboards.com/threads/pummel-damage-data.372509/ so his grab game is still technically really good for racking up damage. At least his throws don't do like 4% damage and have no(?) followups like Marth :x

Then I saw the last round and went damn. That match up is troublesome. I'm now a little intimidated to post my videos.
It's tough but you just need to play patient and it's not too bad. Once the WiiU version is out though, and Greninja can do DACUS... https://vine.co/v/OAQxKbIuwJb it's going to be miserable.

If you want critique or advice or whatever, feel free to post videos and ask. We all start somewhere.

Also I think we can combo up throw into a fair on some characters. I doubt it's a true combo but it seems to work on dedede. I forgot if you listed that in the guide. I also find myself using d throw instead of up throw. X.x

And now you guys know my pain with villager.
I kinda doubt it, unlike Bthrow and Fthrow, Kirby can't act instantly out of Upthrow, there's a slight delay, and it sends people too far away. Maybe if they DI wrong you can followup, but yeah. And yes Villager is annoying heh. Manageable, but annoying.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
How come we never get nifty tools outside of copy abilities? :(

JipC

Smash Journeyman
vs Diddy Kong http://youtu.be/N_-DYVW3StA
vs Sheik http://youtu.be/qBnTlOKl4U4
vs Pit http://youtu.be/Us8IxTUZ4IM
vs Marth http://youtu.be/_QgOpO2Ux60

All of these were on the nintendodojo ladder, so the players are good. That was my first time playing a Pit so I got pretty destroyed. The Marth guy is actually a Kirby main and I told him he should come here :3 idk if he will or not. I'm absolutely calling wifi johns on the Marth video, I was way ahead and then failed to grab the ledge at the end when I meant to so I got gimped hard, we had a shaky connection. I just thought the match was funny because I get a 0-death first stock and then lose. He's good though, and his Kirby managed to beat the same Pit that I lost to.
dat shield break into hammer dance into KO on the Marth match. 10/10

Mr.CreamCakes

Smash Cadet
There hasn't been many kirbys in tournaments. I hope that changes in the future. Kirby has potential but no one is showing it like im sure that he has combos and stuff that haven't been discovered yet.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
those reminded me of why a lot recoveries frustrate me so much in this game, a lot of them are just way too good.

Like that sonic recovering after he down aired off the stage.

Last edited:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Right? Kirby should be the one with the top tier recovery, not everyone that isn't Mario/Falcon/Dorf etc.

The Pink Marshmallow

Smash Rookie
I haven't seen a tournament where customs are used yet. @ Asdioh Asdioh Do you have a tournament where you used customs because with the high final cutter, jump inhale, hammer bash, it might bring him to top tier. Right now I see him as mid watching ur videos and some from tourney locater. He has the tools to be a good character. Great combo game, decent approaches, good neutral game, edgeguarding tools, and kill options. He think he has potential to be high tier if his meta game keeps progressing. It took one tournament to make Meta Knight top tier in brawl.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
@ The Pink Marshmallow The Pink Marshmallow yes if you look at the tournament videos i posted just up there ^^^ customs were allowed. I used Upper Cutter and Jumping Inhale, the only other one to use customs was the Luigi (and his custom downB killed me both stocks first game)
It was only like 11 players, and a couple of them didn't even own 3ds, but I got 2nd and the guy who got 1st is RI's best player, to my understanding. I took him to game 5 both sets. A little better play on my part and I could've won at least one set. There's a much bigger wiiu release tournament this saturday I hope to go to.

The Pink Marshmallow

Smash Rookie
@ The Pink Marshmallow The Pink Marshmallow yes if you look at the tournament videos i posted just up there ^^^ customs were allowed. I used Upper Cutter and Jumping Inhale, the only other one to use customs was the Luigi (and his custom downB killed me both stocks first game)
It was only like 11 players, and a couple of them didn't even own 3ds, but I got 2nd and the guy who got 1st is RI's best player, to my understanding. I took him to game 5 both sets. A little better play on my part and I could've won at least one set. There's a much bigger wiiu release tournament this saturday I hope to go to.
Ok good luck, looking at your gameplay I'm sure you'll do great. I'm sure you'll be the best Kirby player out there. I can't wait for the Wii U versions. WOO better controls

7upfree123

Smash Rookie
NNID
Snowy123
3DS FC
0533-4047-9106
I would upload a video, but I don't know how to even make one.... Can someone show me how to upload a 3DS replay?

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
those reminded me of why a lot recoveries frustrate me so much in this game, a lot of them are just way too good.

Like that sonic recovering after he down aired off the stage.
That sonic recovery was just scary. O.o

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Some random tournament matches from this Saturday.

vs Dr. Mario http://youtu.be/NfRZE0z3tWE I only managed to record game 2 because it's easy to exit the results screen (I think if one player hits A and then the other does it ends the screen, or something) Anyway Game 1 was almost exactly like Game 2 from what I remember, it ended with him at 60something% on his last stock.
http://nintendodojo.com/ladder/rankings.aspx?id=124 the Dr. Mario I lost to is Koolaid, ranked 3rd on this ladder.

vs. ROB http://youtu.be/NKCt6hWSVD8
vs. Diddy Kong http://youtu.be/3R9UWsnKMnY these two matches are the same player, this was a set.

I have another set vs Little Mac/Shulk, I'll probably upload it tomorrow or later today.
Sometimes I try to record the screen and the camera decides it wants to go out of focus so it ends up blurry ;_;

Last edited:

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
Some random tournament matches from this Saturday.
Wow, the Wii U version just looks so gorgeous. Also, while this may not be a surprise, you seemed to play notably better on the GameCube controller. If I compare this to your 3DS videos, this is definitely on another level.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Yeah, and that's just on the Gamepad on minimum brightness... on a cell phone camera youtube video. The game looks absolutely amazing. FD is the coolest thing ever.
And agreed, I can actually do Dair->Smash reliably, and it seems more legit. Idk if the changes to multihit moves affected it at all.
I still need to get used to the C-stick, it's very weird compared to how it was in Brawl. In case you guys didn't know, holding C-stick now charges smashes instead of doing them instantly (in Brawl you could do c-stick + Z to charge) and for this reason, it messes up your aerial momentum if you do c-stick aerials for more than one frame. For example, retreating Bairs where you're holding left in the air and hitting right on the C-stick. If you flick the C-stick right for one frame, it acts like you would expect. If you hold the C-stick down, it kills your momentum and you basically stop. It's also annoying for Dairs, because I used to C-stick Dair fastfall intentionally, but now it's awkward. Definitely takes some getting used to. I haven't actually gotten to play yet since the tournament, still need to do that training.

Top Bottom