• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby's "I forgot the old thread title" - Kirby Video Thread

JetX818

Smash Cadet
First Smash 4 video up. I'm JetX. I'm known to be one the best Kirby players in Project M. Still adapting to this game but i'll be up there :)

updated better hd quality

Smash Wii U - JetX(Kirby) vs Diddy online: http://youtu.be/_HXxRnr_5sA

Last edited:

Yan-Yan

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yan-Yans
3DS FC
2921-9087-2933
Nebulous 16# - Loser's Quarters
MikeKirby (Kirby) Vs Error 404 (Ike)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=xdZrApkRvhQ

Nebulous #16 - Loser's Semis
MikeKirby (Kirby) Vs HelpR (Diddy)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=U6H-qdOTm0w

Nebulous#16 - Loser's Finals
MikeKirby (Kirby) Vs NinjaLink (Iggy/MegaMan/Marth)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=MNA1Hvjaljw

Nebulous #16 - Grand Finals
MikeKirby (Kirby) Vs Blue Terrorist (Sonic)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=YQUjRTWXyjQ

Nebulous #17 - Winner's Bracket
FS | DarkBlues (MegaMan) Vs MikeKirby (Kirby)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Wv3qpwlOXUs

Nebulous #17 - Loser's Quarters
MikeKirby (Kirby) Vs DA | Dire (Diddy)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WnVaj28GACo

Last edited:

MaximTomato

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1118-0313-9599
That's awesome! I like how @ MikeKirby MikeKirby just grabs projectiles out of the air or off the floor so much (Mega-Man's razor or bowser jr.'s mechakoopa) It looks like a very valuable skill to have.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I watched a couple of those so far and I'm really impressed. He definitely plays safer than me, and clearly has his reaction time down (like you mentioned with the projectiles)
He has smart play, I'm gonna watch that Sonic match next because I have a pressing need to learn how to beat Sonic lol

I like the use of advancing dtilts, I should really put some work into mastering crouch walking, it's a legit thing on Kirby.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Great Kirby Matches! Any reason why you keep using D-Throw? I thought it is the worst throw out of all our throws (assuming you are saving Up throw for Fresh Kills).

Last edited:

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Oh hey @ Yan-Yan Yan-Yan posted my videos here! Haha! :bee:

@ MaximTomato MaximTomato

I'm disappointed that d-throw only does 6% buuuuut it's good at 0%/low percents against characters that Kirby doesn't have throw combos against. It puts them in a position where you can get rewarded if you read right. If you read an air dodge go for a punish or reset grab. If you read an attack, shield and punish. I you read a jump Kirby can usually punish with a double jump u-air. It's not the best but it is what it is. After around 40%/50+ I start using f-throw instead of d-throw because of more damage and it kinda still accomplishes the same thing th d-throw did at low percents. I don't like f-throw at 0% against most characters because they can just DI down, shield and there's almost nothing you can do about that since you can't regrab for a second or so. U-throw is up to you and stage dependent. At high percents when I feel like I can't get no read reward then I'll just u-throw for damage but only if I'm fighting in a stage that doesn't have any platforms to use to my advantage. B-throw is your throw combo when you have one. I also save it for KO's when I can't get one at high %s.

I got second today at Nebulous. I lost to Jtails in both winners and Grand Finals. I hope they'll be uploaded! =D

Last edited:

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
omg MikeKirby! Your vids are so fun to watch! YOU ARE SO AMAZING! <3 <3 I am your fan. I support Kirby mainers!

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
Oh cool @ MikeKirby MikeKirby , yoo live in Brooklyn, I live in queens :o

Also nice playing, you play really safe, certainly safer than I do. I noticed you like you approached with Kirby's jab a lot against the sonic player and also pointed your shield upwards a lot, but most notably the jab. I don't think I saw much air play or mix-ups though. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
That's certainly a different play style from any Kirby I've seen before. I didn't watch all of the videos, but nicely played! It looked like you made good use of your jabs and u-airs! ^.^

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
I need to read more guides on Kirby ducking. MikeKirby seems to really utilize Kirby's ability to duck under a lot of attacks. Characters like Marth with his damn long sword are a pain to approach. For Kirby, as well, he has to practically be on top of a character to hit them. Him using ducking for certain characters to slide in a and get closer looks really useful. I need to use that way more as well as improve reads. Oh and catching items. I really want to watch more vids from him.

Last edited:

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210

WootSnorlax

Smash Apprentice
Nebulous 16# - Loser's Quarters
MikeKirby (Kirby) Vs Error 404 (Ike)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=xdZrApkRvhQ

Nebulous #16 - Loser's Semis
MikeKirby (Kirby) Vs HelpR (Diddy)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=U6H-qdOTm0w

Nebulous#16 - Loser's Finals
MikeKirby (Kirby) Vs NinjaLink (Iggy/MegaMan/Marth)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=MNA1Hvjaljw

Nebulous #16 - Grand Finals
MikeKirby (Kirby) Vs Blue Terrorist (Sonic)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=YQUjRTWXyjQ

Nebulous #17 - Winner's Bracket
FS | DarkBlues (MegaMan) Vs MikeKirby (Kirby)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Wv3qpwlOXUs

Nebulous #17 - Loser's Quarters
MikeKirby (Kirby) Vs DA | Dire (Diddy)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WnVaj28GACo
@ MikeKirby MikeKirby Great Kirby play here. Really admirable play and great use of uptilt -> upair strings. Also that patience against Sonic is just unreal. Question though when you're playing you don't seem to use nair as much, why is that? I feel like nair against some characters with very solid grabs but poor aerials priorty, like Sonic for example, is a solid way to approach with good spacing. It is also pretty decent as a finisher for your uptilt -> upair strings. Not saying that it is the best and only tool, but it does prove itself to be very useful in some situations.

Other than that, this is the kind of play that I expect from most Kirby mains. IMO Kirby is one of those characters that, once they get in on someone, can do some destructive damage leading upwards to 60-70%. The level of mindgames and reading you have to do with Kirby in order to make him a good character is pretty high, but should be expected with the amount of tools he has. He may not be great at spacing, but when Kirby is in range he has so many options to choose from and can easily mix it up. When it comes to opponents with spacing tools it is where it really shows how much you know how to play Kirby.

Last edited:

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
@ GrnFzzTgr GrnFzzTgr
You live in NYC too?? Go to the Nebulous tournaments in Chinatown!! :bee:
I have a habit point my shield up because of Brawl. =V MK2stronk
I used to do some air play but I eventually realized that just walking and approaching with jabs was so much more reliable. I hated when I approach with an aerial (n-air/f-air etc) and sonic would spin dash my landing lag. I stayed grounded as much as I could. I tried to do mixups but I soon realized that my opponent just kept reacting to things the same way and my "mixups" would go punished (ex: after a jab clash I wanted to maybe bait a shield/roll but he always mashed f-tilt which loses to Kirby's faster jab) So, I figured if it ain't broke...

@ WootSnorlax WootSnorlax
You're right. To be honest, I used to use n-air a lot back when Sm4sh came out. I'm not sure what happened that I kinda stopped using it. It would probably be good to finish the u-tilt>u-air strings with n-air but I feel like once I can't get any more hits, at the very least, an u-air finisher will still place my opponent above me than just too far away from me with n-air. N-air is a fine move don't get me wrong; MUCH better than the past 2 games. I'm still trying to learn, though. I'll find a way to get the most use out of it. Also, if you can't tell, I don't use f-air as much. I need to learn how to properly utilize f-air, too. I've seen other Kirby's do a pseudo wall of pain thing with it sometimes. I can't get it to work for me for some reason. :/

Last edited:

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Oh hey @ Yan-Yan Yan-Yan posted my videos here! Haha! :bee:

@ MaximTomato MaximTomato

I'm disappointed that d-throw only does 6% buuuuut it's good at 0%/low percents against characters that Kirby doesn't have throw combos against. It puts them in a position where you can get rewarded if you read right. If you read an air dodge go for a punish or reset grab. If you read an attack, shield and punish. I you read a jump Kirby can usually punish with a double jump u-air. It's not the best but it is what it is. After around 40%/50+ I start using f-throw instead of d-throw because of more damage and it kinda still accomplishes the same thing th d-throw did at low percents. I don't like f-throw at 0% against most characters because they can just DI down, shield and there's almost nothing you can do about that since you can't regrab for a second or so. U-throw is up to you and stage dependent. At high percents when I feel like I can't get no read reward then I'll just u-throw for damage but only if I'm fighting in a stage that doesn't have any platforms to use to my advantage. B-throw is your throw combo when you have one. I also save it for KO's when I can't get one at high %s.

I got second today at Nebulous. I lost to Jtails in both winners and Grand Finals. I hope they'll be uploaded! =D
Oh I see. That makes sense! I will try to incorporate this mindset wit my play style. But those reads, man, so Godlike.
Woah! You made to Grand Finals again?! I cannot wait to see those matchup!

I hope we are not harassing you with questions but I have one/two more if you don't mind. I know this is not the place for this but What is your general opinion on this version of Kirby? Any tips/tricks should we practice to increase Kirby's potential in the Competitive Scene?

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
@ Unknownkid Unknownkid
It's ok. As long as it's Kirby related! :)

To be honest I get asked this a lot and I'm never sure what to say. I will say that this version of Kirby is different. At first I was bummed about the changes but I had to toss that mindset out and work with what I had and what I could find. Throw combos are character and percentage based. So I feel it takes skill and lots of MU knowledge to use him right. I literally kept a notepad on my phone with all the characters and what combos I had or didn't have so that I could memorize them. So basically just keep practicing. It's a very bland response, I know, but, unfortunately, it's not like we're a character like Shiek/Diddy where I can tell you to just d-throw>u-air and shenanigans. As far as tier list wise goes, I haven't really thought about it too much. I thought he was low tier at first but I'm not sure anymore; maybe mid, iunno. I'm more focused on trying to learn MU's~

Oh and someone snagged and uploaded one if my matches before it was officially uploaded from this Sunday so I'll share! :)

Nebulous#18 - Loser's Quarters
MikeKirby (Kirby) Vs John12346 (Shulk)
https://youtube.com/watch?v=8o4w0rSjxhM

Last edited:

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
@ MikeKirby MikeKirby I don't do tournaments! It's too much stress and pressure for me! The only reason I go to china town is for the delicious bubble tea at Ten Ren's XD

WootSnorlax

Smash Apprentice
@ GrnFzzTgr GrnFzzTgr
You live in NYC too?? Go to the Nebulous tournaments in Chinatown!! :bee:
I have a habit point my shield up because of Brawl. =V MK2stronk
I used to do some air play but I eventually realized that just walking and approaching with jabs was so much more reliable. I hated when I approach with an aerial (n-air/f-air etc) and sonic would spin dash my landing lag. I stayed grounded as much as I could. I tried to do mixups but I soon realized that my opponent just kept reacting to things the same way and my "mixups" would go punished (ex: after a jab clash I wanted to maybe bait a shield/roll but he always mashed f-tilt which loses to Kirby's faster jab) So, I figured if it ain't broke...

@ WootSnorlax WootSnorlax
You're right. To be honest, I used to use n-air a lot back when Sm4sh came out. I'm not sure what happened that I kinda stopped using it. It would probably be good to finish the u-tilt>u-air strings with n-air but I feel like once I can't get any more hits, at the very least, an u-air finisher will still place my opponent above me than just too far away from me with n-air. N-air is a fine move don't get me wrong; MUCH better than the past 2 games. I'm still trying to learn, though. I'll find a way to get the most use out of it. Also, if you can't tell, I don't use f-air as much. I need to learn how to properly utilize f-air, too. I've seen other Kirby's do a pseudo wall of pain thing with it sometimes. I can't get it to work for me for some reason. :/

Yeah I did notice a lack of fairs, but that move isn't too great for most of the matchups you were up against. Characters with disjointed moves suck so much to play against. So I figured you knew it probably wasn't the best move to use aggressively :p. Fair should be used to trap opponents in shield and create shield pressure. If spaced correctly against most characters it is extremely difficult to punish. You should just be barely hitting the shield and before the last part of the fair hits pull back. It's also nice if it connects and usually leads to 2 different options: fastfall -> any fast follow up (this can be shielded so grab usually works), or just connecting all hits and go for a read. Again not gauranteed followups like general Kirby play, so you got to get into their heads. Pseudo wall of pain doesn't work against good people :laugh:. You can practice it by hitting the sandbag though!

Yan-Yan

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yan-Yans
3DS FC
2921-9087-2933
#SYNERGY!!
(It's Me and BlazerKirby in action, also today is BlazerKirby's birthday!) :D

Last edited:

Rochette

Smash Cadet
That's awesome! I like how @ MikeKirby MikeKirby just grabs projectiles out of the air or off the floor so much (Mega-Man's razor or bowser jr.'s mechakoopa) It looks like a very valuable skill to have.
Yeah, we have talk about that briefly for Toon Link MU. In For Glory a lot of people don't notice that is so easy to grab projectile in SSB4 than before. It help me a lot in some match up.

These videos are really great and what you said about kirby too Mikekirby. We need with Kirby more train on MU.

WootSnorlax

Smash Apprentice
#SYNERGY!!
(It's Me and BlazerKirby in action, also today is BlazerKirby's birthday!) :D
Hilarious matches and amazing doubles action. Though I would never use Kirby in doubles seriously, a double Kirby team is funny. Both of you guys showed off some great edgegaurding too!

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
@ Unknownkid Unknownkid

To be honest I get asked this a lot and I'm never sure what to say. I will say that this version of Kirby is different. At first I was bummed about the changes but I had to toss that mindset out and work with what I had and what I could find. Throw combos are character and percentage based. So I feel it takes skill and lots of MU knowledge to use him right. I literally kept a notepad on my phone with all the characters and what combos I had or didn't have so that I could memorize them. So basically just keep practicing. It's a very bland response, I know, but, unfortunately, it's not like we're a character like Shiek/Diddy where I can tell you to just d-throw>u-air and shenanigans. As far as tier list wise goes, I haven't really thought about it too much. I thought he was low tier at first but I'm not sure anymore; maybe mid, iunno. I'm more focused on trying to learn MU's~

Oh and someone snagged and uploaded one if my matches before it was officially uploaded from this Sunday so I'll share! :)

Ah, so pretty much what we have been telling each other. Well, thank you for your insight. I feel more motivated to continue improving my playstyle and making Kirby more "op" than he should be. Maybe someday we will meet in a tournament (I will get destroy of course haha).

That Shulk battle was hype! I am glad pro players do not spam Counter/Vision as much as For Glory/Friend Matches.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Asdioh brought this up while we were talking, so I think it should be brought up here. MikeKirby heavily relies on his reaction time to play Kirby at such a high level. If you really want to get better with Kirby, you're gonna have to find your local scene and stick with that. Relying on reaction times while playing online wouldn't really work out too well.

Rochette

Smash Cadet
If you really want to get better with Kirby, you're gonna have to find your local scene and stick with that. Relying on reaction times while playing online wouldn't really work out too well.
If you stick with your local scene you fight same opponents (if you have good level and don't loose too early). In my area, Smash has an university club. You could take bad habit in your reaction by playing against same players. That's why I believe than mixing up your training is great. Amiibo, CPU, FG, Friends, Rivals, Tourney, Championship : you could work on differents things.

gameplayzero

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroBlaze
Asdioh brought this up while we were talking, so I think it should be brought up here. MikeKirby heavily relies on his reaction time to play Kirby at such a high level. If you really want to get better with Kirby, you're gonna have to find your local scene and stick with that. Relying on reaction times while playing online wouldn't really work out too well.
I don't really have a local scene close by my area (and I have checked). At least not for smash 4. Guilty Gear is already out so my time will be divided regardless, but what do you recommend then?

Might just have to suck it up and drive longer distances I guess.

Last edited:

Rochette

Smash Cadet
Gameplayzero, just create your own local scene. Talk with your video gamestore manager and put flyers. Then you just need time.

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
@ Unknownkid Unknownkid

EHHH that match was really fun to watch! Great job!

Yan-Yan

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yan-Yans
3DS FC
2921-9087-2933
If you really want to get better with Kirby, you're gonna have to find your local scene and stick with that. Relying on reaction times while playing online wouldn't really work out too well.
No. You play good or bad people. (By all means everyone.)
Every "good" person loses to a "good" or "bad" player. Which you learn from your loss. Most people wants that good experience online to interact with other good players without going offline, that's why some people wanted to play people on other countries like Europe and Asia. Playing a bad person teaches you how to be patient and punish their habits. Playing a good person makes you realized you make mistakes and also start questioning yourself "Why am I getting hit?" "How did I get hit?" "How do I avoid these hits?" also playing in a tournament is the test to see your results! If you really wanted to be out there and shine bright like Planet Popstar. Then good luck! :)

JetX818

Smash Cadet
As of now only the hard match ups in my eyes are Rosalina and Metaknight. The others are beatable if you know what your doing and really fast on your inputs.

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
As of now only the hard match ups in my eyes are Rosalina and Metaknight. The others are beatable if you know what your doing and really fast on your inputs.
fast imputs is where I fail for sure. I'm so impressed by the mere act of some of you folks getting that back air out in an instance and close to the ground. I aim to just get decent if anything.

Top Bottom