• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

KirbyKid on The Smash Community, Project SMASH and More

RIDLEY is too SMALL

Smash Journeyman
As someone who is very invested in competitive Smash, I would like to say that the overwhelming majority of competitive Smashers are not like the elitist, anti-casual, hateful prick that is posting in this thread. He is a vocal minority and is not at all representative of competitive Smashers. As others have said, we all love Smash but some people love Smash for different reasons. The Smash Community would be much better if we were unified and didn't repel people for playing the game in a different way.

Last edited:

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
The Smash Community would be much better if we were unified and didn't drive people away.
Especially not a-la Brawl vs Melee type of repelling. That's one type of issue that needs to be 100% avoided from now on. It was a mistake that people should learn from.

KinGly

Smash Journeyman
Just finished it. I can't wait to see this completed. It'll be good to see the general consensus on where smash should be heading

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
He's cute and he plays Kirby. That's cool. I like a more inclusive gaming environment but I don't personally trust it myself. I lurk mostly or just stay in really specific threads. I just play with friends and co-workers. Gaming culture is too toxic imo. I think it's a great idea though if it is brings different people together to play smash. Good luck.

Last edited:

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
I've had a very different experience. Most people I've tried to introduce to Smash competitively just get butthurt and cry "cheap" or "OP" on everything when they get beaten legitimately, and then go back into their little huddle and start bashing each other around on New Pork City with Golden Hammers. It could be that I just hang around a bunch of salty rectums, but I think it's best leaving them to do their thing.

I don't really mind the usual song and dance about items and characters and whatnot, but seeing it on the front page of Smashboards can be a little depressing.

Really? How often do you listen to Brawl's soundtrack? Play the Subspace Emissary? These kinds of things aren't what keep kept Smash going, it was the great gameplay. If you're letting ******* Mega Man's absence ruin the game for you, then go play Mega Man or whatever garbage you're into. If you're thrilled Sakurai made more awful stages that kill the players for you, you can play them in your basement with other neckbeards.

You aren't really qualified to explain to the world what Smash is about, let alone be reminding everyone that random **** and unimportant features that absolutely no one remembers are mandatory.

Also, required reading, since you have no idea what the **** you're talking about.

That's my two cents on the subject, so good day to you, sir. I'd appreciate KirbyKid's input on my earlier post, but the rest of the casual peanut gallery can suck it.
I'm probably offending you at this point, but not only do I think your friends are butthurt, but you seem a little butthurt yourself. Like, you're scarred from the experience and now you're just against casual play entirely? I think you're literally a little crazy for not appreciating the greatness that the Smash franchise offers to the world. So much effort goes into the special modes (Classis, Smash Run, All-Start, etc.) that it's a ridiculous to say "none of that matters because it has cool mechanics." Smash wasn't designed to be a competitive game, it's a party game, and people should recognize that.

If you have a problem with new items, innovative stages, unique characters, and the perpetuation of a great franchise and would rather just see Melee/PM rereleased on eShop every year with improved graphics, that's your loss, and that's a huge loss for you.

That's the biggest issue I have with the Smash community: people need to recognize that new Smashes aren't Melee: the Sequel, and should start appreciating the game for the reasons that they started playing it long ago. I did say I would hold my opinions, so I'm ashamed to do this, my apologies everyone.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I didn't think I'd see foxblaze here again. Wasn't he banned before? Eh.

Anywhoooo, @ kirbykid kirbykid , since I'm also into kirby (by a lot) and most definitely willing to kickstart the scene in FL again, I got your back.

Vortex 4

Smash Cadet
I think this is a great idea. The Smash community needs a bridge between the casual and competitive scenes in order to survive and grow as an Esport.

How well do you think the NFL would do if only the professional players were interested in the NFL? They, like us, need the amateurs and spectators.

If you want to see how this benefits a game then look at golf. Originally it was a closed off sport for a few elite, then the PGA formed and opened the game to amateurs and spectators. Ultimately this led to bigger purses for the pros, more unexpected competition for the pros, and (dare I say it) more hype for the game.

So basically if we want pro smash to grow and become everything it can be, we need casual players to feel they are a part of the scene.

LoveandBacon

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lithiums
I think this is a fantastic idea. Getting rid of the rift between casual and competitive Smashers would open up new opportunities for the Smash scene as a whole.

Casual players would have more exposure to the competitive scene and will maybe want to become a part of it. Competitive players would also have more of an opportunity to relax and take a break from hardcore training and play with some items for fun.

I'm a competitive player, and I work hard to get better, but I also take some times to chill and play some FFAs with items with some buddies if I get the chance.

It would give an opportunity for both sides to experience the game in a much more complete way. After all, that's what the game was intended for.

Last edited:

RIDLEY is too SMALL

Smash Journeyman
Code Bread, I think what you just posted illustrates a major issue in our community. You were responding to a person that is against casual play and thinks the game should only be played competitively. However, your response is on the other polarizing extreme because you seem to be saying that Smash should only be played as a party game:

Smash wasn't designed to be a competitive game, it's a party game, and people should recognize that.
If you have a problem with new items, innovative stages, unique characters, and the perpetuation of a great franchise and would rather just see Melee/PM rereleased on eShop every year with improved graphics, that's your loss, and that's a huge loss for you.
That's the biggest issue I have with the Smash community: people need to recognize that new Smashes aren't Melee: the Sequel, and should start appreciating the game for the reasons that they started playing it long ago.
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but it seems like you're saying that the correct way to play Smash is as a party game. Personally, that's not the game that I necessarily want to play, but I'm not going to tell my friends who play the game differently that I think they're playing it wrong (because I don't--I just have a different perspective.)

Smash is a game that is loved by tons of people, but people love the game for different reasons. What both you and FoxBlaze are seem to be doing is claiming that it is wrong for people to love Smash for different reasons than you do or to play the game in a different way than your own preference.

Everyone does not have to enjoy playing Smash as a crazy Nintendo party game. Everyone does not have to be a competitive Smasher and love playing the game in a competitive way. There's nothing wrong with people playing Smash in different ways, and we don't need to tell people how they're supposed to play the game.

Last edited:

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Code Bread, I think what you just posted illustrates a major issue in our community. You were responding to a person that is against casual play and thinks the game should only be played competitively. However, your response is on the other polarizing extreme because you seem to be saying that Smash should only be played as a party game:

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but it seems like you're saying that the correct way to play Smash is as a party game. Personally, that's not the game that I necessarily want to play, but I'm not going to tell my friends who play the game differently that I think they're playing it wrong (because I don't--I just have a different perspective.)

Smash is a game that is loved by tons of people, but people love the game for different reasons. What both you and FoxBlaze are doing is claiming that it is wrong for people to love Smash for different reasons than you do or to play the game in a different way than your own preference.

Everyone does not have to enjoy playing Smash as a crazy Nintendo party game. Everyone does not have to be a competitive Smasher and love playing the game in a competitive way. There's nothing wrong with people playing Smash in different ways, and we don't need to tell people how they're supposed to play the game.
I'm not going to forgive you for being wrong because that seems silly. But what I'm saying isn't that people need to play smash as a party game, I'm saying that people seem to forget that that's what it is, not how it has to be played. I'm not saying competitive play shouldn't exist. When I played casual, I was playing FD, 1vs1, no items. Not very party-like. I'm just saying people who look at smash only as a competitive game are missing out. Not gameplay wise (although I would miss it), but they're not relating to a very large, very real portion of the smash community and it just seems like it's hurting everyone. I'm not blaming anyone for playing one over the other, I'm only saying people should see both sides, not completely reject the other. Sorry for that misleading post, I was trying hard to emphasize that casual play shouldn't be overlooked. But in no way was I trying to put down competitive.

EDIT: typos, bruh.

Last edited:

RIDLEY is too SMALL

Smash Journeyman
I'm not going to forgive you for being wrong because that seems silly. But what I'm saying isn't that people need to play smash as a party game, I'm saying that people seem to forget that that's what it is, not how it has to be played. I'm not saying competitive play shouldn't exist. When I played casual, I was playing FD, 1vs1, no items. Not very party-like. I'm just saying people who look at smash only as a competitive game are missing out. Not gameplay wise (although I would miss it), but they're not relating to a very large, very real portion of the smash community and it just seems like it's hurting everyone. I'm not blaming anyone for playing one over the other, I'm only saying people should see both sides, not completely reject the other. Sorry for that misleading post, I was trying hard to emphasize that casual play shouldn't be overlooked. But in no way was I trying to put down competitive.

EDIT: typos, bruh.
Okay, I think I understand your earlier post now that you've clarified. It seems like we both feel that the Smash community would benefit from all of us being more open-minded and inclusive towards fellow Smashers, regardless of how they play the game.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Oh great. A flame war.

*puts on fireproof gear*

Filling out the survey. Looks interesting :)

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Y'know, I've seen this argument many times from the sidelines, but I've never really joined in as I never had an account before. Now that I do I guess I'll throw in my two cents...

As far as I go, I find I'm sorta in the middle. As a completely non-competetive person (not in smash specifically, just in life), I really tend to avoid competion. I find that, while it can be fun, it tends to bring out the worst in people, usually the losing party. It's basically a sort of test to find out who is better than someone else at something, so that kind of result can be expected. Ideally though, what it should do, and what it sometimes does, should be to push us to better ourselves. Sadly that doesn't happen alot, so I personally don't think it's worth the risk.

That being said, I'm not a big fan of luck based stuff, so i don't like using items in smash, nor do I like stages that have gimmicks or where you can walk to the blast lines. These things don't make for a very satisfying KO either, so more often than not, I try to avoid those things when playing alone. As such, I do understand where the competetive players are coming from. But still, I haven't gone so far as to learn any of the advanced stuff. Those kinds of techniques are usually born from a desire to win, which I do not possess.

When I play, my only concern is making my performance acceptable to myself, getting better to the point where I am satisfied that I did well, not necessarily that I beat my opponent. I treat it like a score-based game; my opponent is more like an extra factor that keeps things interesting. It doesn't really matter to me what they do so long as I feel I did well. I just feel like if everyone played this way, everything would be so much better overall. Of course, if someone didn't want to play that way, that's fine too. It won't stop me from playing with them. To each his own.

So there it is... Sorry if it went on long. Just wanted to get it off my chest. I really do hope KirbyKid can achieve the kind of smash peace we all want. Good luck!:)

warioismymain

Smash Cadet
I don't think anyway of playing smash is supperior to another, I think all that matters is if the experience you get makes you and/or others happy.

Last edited:

Boss N

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Boss-N
3DS FC
0044-3869-2757
So my angle is that the root of the problem is how we communicate. That's my speciality. Video games are complication and talking about video games is even harder. Being a community is more just recognizing that people have different opinions and preferences. How we express our preferences and how we respect one another are related. I've been thinking about how to approach this sensitive area for years. I've actually been doing research for years and this will be my best attempt to help. Bottom line, I think we're more likely to be friends than enemies about this issue and many others.

I think it's cool that you don't quite see the purpose yet. THis project is complicated as is Smash and our community. If I could convey what it is an why I feel it's important in one simple post like this, I would have. I hope you're at least curious. That I can work with.

I'm not here to diss anyone or "call anyone out." This isn't about casuals vs competitive smashers. It's a lot more complicated than that.
Man I absolutely adore the fact that you can still get your point across and still be so professional, even with this guy.

The smash community needs more people like you KirbyKid, and I'm gonna fully support this project till the end of Smash itself. (which will hopefully be never ^_^ )

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I've had a very different experience. Most people I've tried to introduce to Smash competitively just get butthurt and cry "cheap" or "OP" on everything when they get beaten legitimately, and then go back into their little huddle and start bashing each other around on New Pork City with Golden Hammers. It could be that I just hang around a bunch of salty rectums, but I think it's best leaving them to do their thing.

I don't really mind the usual song and dance about items and characters and whatnot, but seeing it on the front page of Smashboards can be a little depressing.

Really? How often do you listen to Brawl's soundtrack? Play the Subspace Emissary? These kinds of things aren't what keep kept Smash going, it was the great gameplay. If you're letting ******* Mega Man's absence ruin the game for you, then go play Mega Man or whatever garbage you're into. If you're thrilled Sakurai made more awful stages that kill the players for you, you can play them in your basement with other neckbeards.

You aren't really qualified to explain to the world what Smash is about, let alone be reminding everyone that random **** and unimportant features that absolutely no one remembers are mandatory.

Also, required reading, since you have no idea what the **** you're talking about.

That's my two cents on the subject, so good day to you, sir. I'd appreciate KirbyKid's input on my earlier post, but the rest of the casual peanut gallery can suck it.
First of all, you say 'bashing each other on New Pork City with Golden Hammers' as it's somehow the wrong way to play the game, when the game actually defaults to those kinds of settings you're complaining about. I can guess that you're not a good promoter of your playstyle, or a good teacher, or a good partner for playing either...bitter people tend to spread bitterness, so I'm not surprised.

And seeing character speculation on the front page of a Forum based on a game that pretty much runs on speculation and character choices feels depressing? I feel like you might be missing a few clues here, buddy...and the MegaMan example works perfectly because Marvel Vs. Capcom's supposed to be a crossover between the best of Capcom and the best of Marvel first, and then a fighting game, so excluding arguably one of the most popular and beloved Capcom characters from that series IS a huge mistake, I don't care how polished the gameplay might be, that doesn't mean that it's not a mistake because someone who loves the dried husk of a game says so (As you seem to hate soundtracks, character identities, items, iconic locations...etc, I can only assume that you like your games to play like dried husks of the things they actually are). The fact that you dared to call the Megaman series 'garbage' tells me all I need to know about your level of respect for gaming beyond simple gameplay.

I know you're trying to be witty...but I listen to Brawl's soundtrack at least once every day...and from time to time I go through SSE with a friend because it's a cool co-op experience with awesome cutscenes. Not surprised to see the second post's content on that 'required reading' though, I love how you're quick to blame it on anything but yourself when the stage kills you, why didn't you avoid it? I'm not saying super-crazy stages should be a competitive standard, but I find this
attitude extremely pretentious, but no worries, you seem to know your way around pretentiousness pretty well.

I'm not qualified to tell the world about how Smash should be played...but you've proven that you aren't qualified either, I think @ The Derrit The Derrit hit the nail on the head, this project aims to draw Casuals who might be interested in the competitive community but want to stay away from people as inflamattory, etilist and self-absorbed as you.

And...'casual peanut gallery can suck it'...AHAHAHAHAHA! First, you should get off your High Horse and maybe work on that aristocratic god complex you've got going on there...then maybe you should try to understand that everyone enjoys the game differently and even within the competitive community, you're in the minority who doesn't get excited about character reveals, soundtrack pieces and memorable stages...if that wasn't clear enough, I'm gonna leave it here with big cartoony red letters so your 'superior god competitive brain' can understand the ramblings of 'golden-hammer New Pork playing peasants':
WAKE THE **** UP!
I'd make a comment about a stick residing somewhere on your person but that'd get me in trouble, so I'll avoid that kind of direct insult, that's YOUR specialty.

strawhats

Smash Master
The first thing it'll help me understand is what we all think. I don't assume there are issues out there. I'm simply going to read what everyone has to say and take it all in.

If there aren't issues, great. If there are, I'll begin to work them out in any way that I can.

Have you looked at the survey to see what kinds of questions I ask?
umm...random question but are you KrazyKirbyKid? The one that played melee years ago (like back in 2005/6)

TheKmanOfSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5443-8100
Another is the "negative" part of competitive Smash, which I assume means some kind of discrimination. I've played Smash for several years and I've never seen anyone harassed because of their gender or any other aspect about them, so I don't see the need for the implied white knighting.
LOL this response takes the cake. " I haven't seen it so it doesn't happen."

*****, frequent fondling, stalking,death threats, etc. have happened in the Competitive Smash community. I dont know how deep you are into the Smash community, but these things definitely happen. Heck it is a global issue with gaming period.

Its not about being a white knight, its about addressing an issue that hurts both brothers and sisters of Smash. I'm not going to berate you about the core issue at hand, but I will just say this: don't make such baseless inferences based on experience alone. If you haven't done research, or your due diligence regarding the issue leave it be.

Lastly, this doesn't have to be groundbreaking in terms of an idea in order for it to be important. An idea doesn't solve issues; the actualization of an idea does.

I love the Smash community with all my heart; there are definitely a myriad of gems within it. However, its not all rainbows and lumas, there are definitely issues that could be dealt with that would result in the betterment of this community. I will always be for someone who is dedicating time to better the community we love.

I've actually never heard of any such thing happening, let alone seen it. Source?
You are extremely ill-informed, FoxBlaze.

As far as women in the Smash community are concerned:

http://meleeiton.me/2014/03/10/the-voices-of-women-in-the-super-smash-brothers-community/

This is an actual, qualitative study done by a Smasher (author: LiloandStitchface) in the Smash community to assess females' experiences and opinions in the community. When you read the part at the very end of the article that puts more clarity on the "sexual assault" statistic, you'll see that of the 12, sexually assaulted women who were interviewed, 11 of them were actually *****. 8 of the 12 accused of assault were done by members of the community. Many of them had reported the crimes to the local police departments, but their cases were either ignored from further investigation or not taken seriously. And under-investigated ***** by the police/FBI is a documented problem in the U.S.

http://www.thenation.com/article/180441/how-did-fbi-miss-over-1-million-*****

If you begin to outright dismissive qualitative and statistical data with your own limited, anecdotal experiences, then you've already lost any credibility you had left.

That's not to say that everything in the Smash study is 100% fact, but you argue scientifically-obtained, qualitative research with more of the same kind. And/or you point out logical contradictions in the study's methodology or conclusions. You're welcome to do your own study to see if the results match up with this study or an in-depth scientific analysis of it, pointing out methodological flaws. Otherwise, don't put yourself in a deeper hole than the one you've already dug.

Let this also serve as indication that when you rely on your sole, personal anecdotes within the community to describe it as a whole, you tend to end up looking very foolish.

Last edited:

Shilvic

Smash Rookie
I'm new to SmashBoards, so seeing this has made me very excited.

Firejew

Smash Cadet
I'm not qualified to tell the world about how Smash should be played...but you've proven that you aren't qualified either, I think @ The Derrit The Derrit hit the nail on the head, this project aims to draw Casuals who might be interested in the competitive community but want to stay away from people as inflamattory, etilist and self-absorbed as you.

And...'casual peanut gallery can suck it'...AHAHAHAHAHA! First, you should get off your High Horse and maybe work on that aristocratic god complex you've got going on there...then maybe you should try to understand that everyone enjoys the game differently and even within the competitive community, you're in the minority who doesn't get excited about character reveals, soundtrack pieces and memorable stages...if that wasn't clear enough, I'm gonna leave it here with big cartoony red letters so your 'superior god competitive brain' can understand the ramblings of 'golden-hammer New Pork playing peasants':
WAKE THE **** UP!
I'd make a comment about a stick residing somewhere on your person but that'd get me in trouble, so I'll avoid that kind of direct insult, that's YOUR specialty.
Your tumblr-tier writing is trash and the passive aggressiveness coming from your responses is painfully juvenile. Quit sucking or trying to suck moderator **** and state your opinions without being such a ninny.
"Aristocratic god complex" "when the stage kills you, why didn't you avoid it?" "I know you're trying to be witty..."
Stop those. It's bad for everyone and doesn't facilitate proper argument or conversation.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Your tumblr-tier writing is trash and the passive aggressiveness coming from your responses is painfully juvenile. Quit sucking or trying to suck moderator **** and state your opinions without being such a ninny.
"Aristocratic god complex" "when the stage kills you, why didn't you avoid it?" "I know you're trying to be witty..."
Stop those. It's bad for everyone and doesn't facilitate proper argument or conversation.
Tumblr-tier writing, looks like we found a hater, DING DING DING!
If you knew my attitude, you would know that the last thing I'd do is suck moderator ****, but you don't, so shut your mouth. And I'd rather have Tumblr-tier writing than Smashboards-Etilist-Dickriding-tier writing, at least the people on tumblr accept other people's personal preferences.

Also, where did you see me being passive-agressive? I read my own post twice and all I can see are DIRECT call-outs on that person's terrible arguments and etilist behavior.
Man I hate the idiots waging the brawl vs melee war
I don't know where you're seeing Melee Vs. Brawl on this thread, all I see's a person ****ting on the casual style of play, yes, even the Melee casual style of play, because they hate items, soundtrack, graphics or anything that comprises the heart and soul of a good game.

Last edited:

Firejew

Smash Cadet
Tumblr-tier writing, looks like we found a hater, DING DING DING!
If you knew my attitude, you would know that the last thing I'd do is suck moderator ****, but you don't, so shut your mouth. And I'd rather have Tumblr-tier writing than Smashboards-Etilist-****riding-tier writing, at least the people on tumblr accept other people's personal preferences.

Also, where did you see me being passive-agressive? I read my own post twice and all I can see are DIRECT call-outs on that person's terrible arguments and etilist behavior.
Oh god this isn't worth my time.

gmanownyou

Smash Cadet
NNID
gmanownyou
3DS FC
0946-3091-2616
This is really cool! It's always awesome to see stuff like this.

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
at least the people on tumblr accept other people's personal preferences.
I'm inclined to disagree. If you're part of a fandom or whatever, other fandoms will probably hate on you. If you disagree with someone's shipping pairings they will send anon hate to you. Hell, you get anon hate for the stupidest of reasons all the time, popular users get the worst backlash when they act out of a line that the followers didn't know about, it's pretty stupid, much like tumblr users overall.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I'm inclined to disagree. If you're part of a fandom or whatever, other fandoms will probably hate on you. If you disagree with someone's shipping pairings they will send anon hate to you. Hell, you get anon hate for the stupidest of reasons all the time, popular users get the worst backlash when they act out of a line that the followers didn't know about, it's pretty stupid, much like tumblr users overall.
I could say the same about any userbase, every userbase has people like FoxBlaze, but they also have people like The Derrit or KirbyKid...I really don't see what point you're trying to make here.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
God damn, people. I don't like getting online and trying to sift through 20+ alerts. Half of it's garbage, the other half are meaningless likes. If you like something I post, please leave that affection in your head. I'm not responding to most of the garbage and/or extremely questionable sources presented, so I'll just respond the the one person here who actually is well-informed, not trash at SSB, and isn't another bandwagon LOLFOXBLAZE casual.

So my angle is that the root of the problem is how we communicate. That's my speciality. Video games are complication and talking about video games is even harder. Being a community is more just recognizing that people have different opinions and preferences. How we express our preferences and how we respect one another are related. I've been thinking about how to approach this sensitive area for years. I've actually been doing research for years and this will be my best attempt to help. Bottom line, I think we're more likely to be friends than enemies about this issue and many others.

I think it's cool that you don't quite see the purpose yet. THis project is complicated as is Smash and our community. If I could convey what it is an why I feel it's important in one simple post like this, I would have. I hope you're at least curious. That I can work with.

I'm not here to diss anyone or "call anyone out." This isn't about casuals vs competitive smashers. It's a lot more complicated than that.
Though I still think this isn't very well formed and tries to be a little too ambitious in certain areas (trying to mend the Brawl/Melee divide being foremost in my mind), but you seem to have the best intentions, so good for you.

Sen. Sawft

Professional Laundry Folder
NNID
Sawft
3DS FC
4940-6793-4197
A thread that was made to bring the Smash community together has resulted in arguments between Brawl and Melee players.

I love this website.

Jinx129

Smash Ace
NNID
Jinx129
3DS FC
3368-3418-9942
I have to admit I didn't really understand the purpose of creating a new site as I didn't see a lot of flaw with this one. But I am a little slow to catch on sometimes. After witnessing a certain someone's absolute disrespect for members of the community, I was infuriated.

Quite honestly, I probably wouldn't be here except for the Nintendo WFC shutdown, my desire to brawl and desperateness for Smash 4 info, not to mention pure excitement! It's gonna be awesome awesomeness! But I am glad I came, because I realized there is a whole lot more to the game. That there was tons of info, hints and even members here that would help a "peanut gallery casual" like me, learn more about a game that I love. I won't let another person's uninhibited insults change that. Didn't we all pick up that remote for the first time at some point? However, they say it takes 100 positives to cancel out a negative, so an attitude like that could have a huge impact on the members of the community. I have heard more than one person say they were put off by this person to the point of avoiding the site.

I'm sure I am not the only one who came here for the reasons stated above and I came in blindly because I had no idea what was going to happen. So I thought about this all day, and it suddenly made sense to me why I was like the least skilled player in the Arena. Because casuals don't go there. How many people have joined SB since the shutdown and with the release of Smash 4 getting closer? How many of those people are dying to post, exchange FCs and play but are too intimidated and afraid to be insulted, ridiculed or labeled?

So unless there is a reason or rule against it, I invite all casual players to post in the arena. I would be happy to play with you! Best wishes and......
TAUNT PARTY ON!!

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
God damn, people. I don't like getting online and trying to sift through 20+ alerts. Half of it's garbage, the other half are meaningless likes. If you like something I post, please leave that affection in your head. I'm not responding to most of the garbage and/or extremely questionable sources presented, so I'll just respond the the one person here who actually is well-informed, not trash at SSB, and isn't another bandwagon LOLFOXBLAZE casual.

Though I still think this isn't very well formed and tries to be a little too ambitious in certain areas (trying to mend the Brawl/Melee divide being foremost in my mind), but you seem to have the best intentions, so good for you.
Noone cares about your alerts.
What exactly is well formed to you?
I didn't realize Smash skill determines intelligence. You're a legitimate counter to that illegitimate argument.
Questionable sources? Is that because you don't know the source's Smash skill?

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
I filled it out too! It's good to have stuff like this. I'd love to see a more diverse community

While I might not agree with FoxBlaze, it seems he's bowed out of this argument so it's probably best to leave him alone, no??

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Bowed out because he knows how big a fool he's made of himself. But that's not a real reason to get back into it, I know. The only thing that irked me is implying that people aren't credible if they're not a pro smasher, which is a whole other argument.

Last edited:

Redcard

Smash Cadet
Coming from a long Online Warrior background in Street Fighter, and praying that Sm4sh is competitively viable, I think this is something that the Smash community could benefit from immensely.

I may be biased, but I'm hype for this game because I definitely want to get into the competitive scene for this game - as I find I have trouble with Melee due to the large technical skillgap and no good local scene around me. (That being said, I love this roster and if the same technical learning curve exists, I'd be willing to put in the time since I'll have the opportunity to start with everybody else.)

This seems like just what I need for my competitive start in Smash.

(edited to make a little prettier)

Last edited:

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
It honestly doesnt matter what he thinks tbh. The only reason I even replied to him in the first place is because for every Foxblaze there's myriad of others lurking thinking the same thing. Theyre the one's who need to understand the errors he's made and cretinous position he is standing for.

As stated before the meleeitonme site has a study of sexual harassment within the smash community. There's also tons of statistics concluding 1 out of every 4 women are ***** in college and 1 out of 3 women are sexually assaulted in their lifetime. Numbers that could be even higher due to the social stigma of **** and the victim blaming culture we have. Even if the gaming community was at the same average as the rest of America ( which its not) anyone who has proper empathy for mothers, sisters and wives of the world knows we all need to strive for better than this.

I think the other issues Kirbykid hit it right on the money so it should be clear to anyone using reason to understand his purpose. Dont have to agree with it but it should make sense. Also people do your own research and due diligence. There's tons of sources for these things, and all around is a good habit to have in this era. Its a great shame and irony that in the age of information people dont seem to inform themselves accordingly.

Please dont contribute to that.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
-"Study"

-Smash Bros gaming sites

lol

Even in most of the really publicized "sexism" incidents in gaming (the Aris Bakhtanians SFxT bull**** a couple years back being a prime example) it's very overblown and it's just the usual white knights foaming at the mouth about "those evil, misogynistic tryhards!". It's nice to know about general ****/harassment statistics, but it's not like any credible research has been done on Smash.

So yeah, all the heroic social warriors like to start screaming the moment someone drops the R-word in any video game, non-literal setting, really are just desperate nerds who are only here frothing at me because they think doing this routine online will get them in a girl's pants.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Well, as someone who doesn't really care about getting into girl's pants, I'd have to disagree that using the word "****" isn't really nonchalant as you'd like it to be. There definitely are social justice warriors that get butthurt about every single thing, but in general, using that word towards a female in generally unadvised. It's different when it's directed towards a woman. Not that you shouldn't trash talk females at all, but have some couth at least

Top Bottom