• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Kirby & The Amazing Cats

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
Any good SSB4 Kirby videos to watch, of tournament play?
Pretty much all videos of MikeKirby, his sets against G5 Dugan (check Game5 Smash), IQHQ Vinnie (check Team Spooky), and LarryLurr (check DarkMusician) are some of my personal favorites but in general searching his name, Triple R, or Prince Kirby will give you pretty decent sets to watch and analyze.

Funny how there's so much talk of Kirby getting a haircut, considering he was actually GOING to have hair in a canceled game called Kid Kirby:
That is exactly what I would have imagined his hair to be like.

Agent Emerald

Smash Journeyman
Funny how there's so much talk of Kirby getting a haircut, considering he was actually GOING to have hair in a canceled game called Kid Kirby:
Funny thing: That game was being developed by the company who would go on to make Grand Theft Auto.

Small world we live in, huh?

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
December at the earliest, if I were to guess I'd say late December through mid January. We have no idea when the "December announcement" is, so it's hard to say. Also hard to say if they'll release the patch immediately after the announcement/Direct/whatever it is, or if it will be weeks afterwards.

If I were to use my prophetic skills, I would say the announcement will be on December 15th, and the patch will be January 5th.

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
Well, historically speaking, character releases are always accompanied by balance patches. Because of this, I'm assuming Cloud will come with a balance patch, and since a Smash direct was announced for December, I assume that Cloud will be released immediately following the direct, as that is pretty much what happened with Lucas, Roy, and Ryu. But this is just inferring from past character releases.

Last edited:

Mr.Dreamland

Smash Rookie
Hello, My name is Mr.Dreamland, a main of Dedede, Kirby, and Meta Knight. Ive been in love with the kirby games ever since I was a kid, my favorite game being Super star, and have transferred that love into smash bros, trying my hardest to main Kirby characters and learn as much as I can (although I regret trying Melee Kirby). I have a goal, as we all do, to become the workd's best Dreamland main. Best of all three of the characters. To be recognized by the like of Esam, Nairo, Zero, and many others. Its all for fun and I hope to learn alot from this thread. Thank you for allowing me to be here :4kirby:

TimG57867

Smash Ace
Hello, My name is Mr.Dreamland, a main of Dedede, Kirby, and Meta Knight. Ive been in love with the kirby games ever since I was a kid, my favorite game being Super star, and have transferred that love into smash bros, trying my hardest to main Kirby characters and learn as much as I can (although I regret trying Melee Kirby). I have a goal, as we all do, to become the workd's best Dreamland main. Best of all three of the characters. To be recognized by the like of Esam, Nairo, Zero, and many others. Its all for fun and I hope to learn alot from this thread. Thank you for allowing me to be here :4kirby:
The more Kirby fans/players the merrier! Glad to have ya.

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
With Kirby
would it be more practical to master the skill with the basic characters before moving on to kirby or is the timing between frames so drastic that kirby is completely different from the others in terms of how you've performed it

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
just something to think about:

n64 characters tend to be either super braindead or super complex solely based on their special moves

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
would it be more practical to master the skill with the basic characters before moving on to kirby or is the timing between frames so drastic that kirby is completely different from the others in terms of how you've performed it
Idk when I do it with like Marth, Lucina, or Peach it seems pretty easy. Kirby's timing definitely feels a lot different. Maybe if you dont know if you're doing it right you can start off with Marth/Lucina for reference and then when you have the inputs down switch to Kirby.

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
Idk when I do it with like Marth, Lucina, or Peach it seems pretty easy. Kirby's timing definitely feels a lot different. Maybe if you dont know if you're doing it right you can start off with Marth/Lucina for reference and then when you have the inputs down switch to Kirby.
I usually would but I'm at college right now and don't have access to a Wii U (which is why i'm asking so much) (TT^TT )
I feel so out of practice rn all i can do is theorize and watch tournaments

Last edited:

TimG57867

Smash Ace
3rd place. Won $5.

I made a dollar in profit.
Nice going dude! That reminds me, I think we should get a mod to sticky the Tournament Data thread. I'd ask Reserved to do it, but I don't think he's a moderator anymore...

Last edited:

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
****ing Kirby saying "Buster!" and TRYING to say "Autoreticle!" always makes my heart melt, He's just too adorable.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
MikeKirby for mod.

I have a notification tone on my mobile phone where kirby shouts hadouken.

I don't mind being mod, but asking for mod here killed my chances. Ha.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Pro tip from Gunblade,

Basically said, Kirbys neutral is one of the best and if you think otherwise you're bad and are throwing out moves lmaoooo. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Gunblade789

Smash Ace
Pro tip from Gunblade,

Basically said, Kirbys neutral is one of the best and if you think otherwise you're bad and are throwing out moves lmaoooo. :rolleyes:
I actually didnt say that. I referenced a guy in chat saying "lol kirby and neutral in the same sentence." I then went on the explain that playing neutral is not just throwing attacks out but the have purpose and patience behind what you do. I used the example of Mike Kirby.

Nice try tho.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
I actually didnt say that. I referenced a guy in chat saying "lol kirby and neutral in the same sentence." I then went on the explain that playing neutral is not just throwing attacks out but the have purpose and patience behind what you do. I used the example of Mike Kirby.

Nice try tho.
ROFL

I was the one who said that btw and Im well aware the neutral game isnt how well you can throw out attacks. Doesnt mean Kirby's neutral doesnt suck relative to the cast.

Last edited:

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Then how do you define neutral exactly?
And if possible just give me a short explanation on footies, don't have time to watch a video or read an article about it.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Then how do you define neutral exactly?
And if possible just give me a short explanation on footies, don't have time to watch a video or read an article about it.
Basically, its how threatening the character is when both players aren't at an advantage or disadvantage... aka both characters are neutral. Whiff punishing, which is positioning yourself outside of the character's range and punishing them if they commit to something, plays a big role in this. General footsies that every character can do come down to the "Attack beating Grab, Grab beating Shield, and Shield beating Attack" triangle and how safe the character can deal with those options effectively.

Thats a very simplified summary of what neutral game means. Kirby's options in all of these situations are weak relative to the cast.

Last edited:

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
JoeKing made an interesting video on Kirby's match ups. I disagree with some of his choices for disadvantageous match ups, like Pac-Man. I guess this is without Copy Abilities put into the equation, but Copy Abilities should be put into consideration. In this case, Pac-Man would at least be an even match up. Oh, and Sonic is not an even match up. Sonic scares Kirby. Speaking of Sonic,
I still love this video and this version of Kirby. :p

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
JoeKing made an interesting video on Kirby's match ups. I disagree with some of his choices for disadvantageous match ups, like Pac-Man. I guess this is without Copy Abilities put into the equation, but Copy Abilities should be put into consideration. In this case, Pac-Man would at least be an even match up. Oh, and Sonic is not an even match up. Sonic scares Kirby. Speaking of Sonic,
I still love this video and this version of Kirby. :p
HE. SAID. KIRBY. HAS. AN. ADVANTAGE. AGANIST. YOSHI

TrueDimentioKirby

Smash Cadet
NNID
DimentionKirby
3DS FC
1907-8793-9647
Let me join as well please! I think I can offer some new tech to you peoples, and we can share some stuff, and other good

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
What is Discord?

Edit:
So I looked it up and saw:
"It's time to ditch Skype".

I approve.

Last edited:
Top Bottom