• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Kirby & The Amazing Cats

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
What actually hit you in the skyloft match? I don't even understand what hitbox was there.
When the stage is transitioning from one part to the next, sometimes there are like, rocks or whatever sticking out, but they're usually way up high or way down low, nowhere near the stage. But for some reason it simply went straight through the stage and hit me.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
I'm sorry but in what ways were they lecturing/critiquing you?
Basically telling me how to play smash, saying that if you get good enough and master a character you can overcome their flaws and beat even even against the best players who are using better characters, that tiers don't exist, that the Amiibo/Ai make excellent sparring partners and teach you how to make reads, especially since they're frame perfect. Yada yada. Nothing I would call critique. Then they tried using Kirby against me to prove a point and they got absolutely destroyed, until he and another friend ganged up on me.

Examples like that, no real useful information.

Last edited:

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Basically telling me how to play smash, saying that if you get good enough and master a character you can overcome their flaws and beat even even against the best players who are using better characters, that tiers don't exist, that the Amiibo/Ai make excellent sparring partners and teach you how to make reads, especially since they're frame perfect. Yada yada. Nothing I would call critique. Then then tried using Kirby against me to prove a point and was absolutely destroyed, until he and another friend ganged up on me.
Oh dear! Sorry to hear that bro. I hate people/players like that.

Sigh... it is what it is. I hope you crush him next time.

Rochette

Smash Cadet
Basically telling me how to play smash, saying that if you get good enough and master a character you can overcome their flaws and beat even even against the best players who are using better characters, that tiers don't exist, that the Amiibo/Ai make excellent sparring partners and teach you how to make reads, especially since they're frame perfect. Yada yada. Nothing I would call critique. Then they tried using Kirby against me to prove a point and they got absolutely destroyed, until he and another friend ganged up on me.

I understand... They are people like that everywhere, smashboards include.

The most important thing with smash
is to have fun. A lot of people forget that and take it too seriously. A friend of mine give up on the series after loosing against me in a tournament... I was more sad than him after that. Having fun and doing your best are the most important.

Triple R

Smash Lord
When the stage is transitioning from one part to the next, sometimes there are like, rocks or whatever sticking out, but they're usually way up high or way down low, nowhere near the stage. But for some reason it simply went straight through the stage and hit me.
So I guess the corner of that building hit you? lol That's really strange.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787

Accept the request I sent you, plus the 3DS FC. I can give you one either I lose or not. Amiibos are for entertainment, not help.

Can you also tell me who it is? I'd love to play this guy.

Last edited:

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
He's a friend of mine, though my friends get uh... Really petty and spiteful! I'll add you later when I get on my wii U, I'm currently addicted to wind waker HD though :3

By the way, I do destroy this guy in a 1v1's scenario.

Last edited:

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
Yeah, I got it free when I purchased Mario Kart 8.

Now I wish what we saw in that rosalina trailer was a real thing. Kirby in Mario Kart, or a sequel/remake of Air Ride

Last edited:

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
You get me addicted and then you don't commit to it yourself. You are gonna make me cry @ Aunt Jemima Aunt Jemima . Guess we won't be talking to children about our adventures together out on the great sea. You, me and our little red boat.

Last edited:

Hotdog

Smash Lord
Finally came first in a tourney with Kirby (25 entrants) Feels good man.

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
Finally came first in a tourney with Kirby (25 entrants) Feels good man.
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! I'm so proud of you :)

I've given up on playing smash so intensely. I've never had a chance to go to a tourney either. I just want to encourage other Kirby users to play him though. I'm glad you entered and won! That's very exciting.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Thinking about picking up Kirby based on my glory days on 64.

What are the biggest advantages to playing Kirby in SSB4, and why do you main him?

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
What are the biggest advantages to playing Kirby?
Oh that is easy! It is because....
Oh...! Hmm... I guess I can try to be optimistic.

I guess one of our advantages D-air is our BnB and a good gimp tool. Multiple Jumps lead to deceptive approach/bait options (though Jiggly does this better). Our Grab Range is good and we can do a lot of pummel damage. Throws are a different story -_-. Stone is pretty good. I use Stone more in this game than any other version. Our A-Combo is a good punisher. It racks up damage well. Our duck can make most matchup easier. And I believe D-tilt trips more.

He is more fun with Custom Moves On. Get Jumping Inhale and see what the baby can do.

and why do you main him?
Same reason with you. Because I main him since 64.

gameplayzero

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroBlaze
Well I just had a rosalina with a 110% rage kill my bowser jr at 38% with an up air (I was at 19% before she hit me).

Edit: God dang I mean up tilt. This was a couple of days ago so my memory was a bit foggy. Nice balancing there sakurai!

Last edited:

gameplayzero

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroBlaze
Last edited:

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
Same on gamefaqs as on here. Though I rarely post to Gfaqs anymore.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Looks like Luma got you. I don't know how it kill you though. Did you post this on the Rosalina Forum to get a clue how this kill you?

gameplayzero

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroBlaze
Looks like Luma got you. I don't know how it kill you though. Did you post this on the Rosalina Forum to get a clue how this kill you?
Posted it on both bj and rosy boards, but I only made a topic about it on the bowser jr boards because of the two hitboxes bowser jr has (his car and himself). Gonna post it rosalina boards now.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
What are the biggest advantages to playing Kirby in SSB4, and why do you main him?
I'd say inhale and copy could be useful against some characters, though most time it is generally useless. If you connect with D-air, you can combo into jab/smash. Plus, it can spike. Grab range is fairly good and pummel is fast. Hard to combo out of throws though. Stone is useful, but only offstage (be careful not to SD), mind games (hard to do), or punish.

I picked him up in Brawl 5 years ago, won against a friend I never won against before, and have used him a lot ever since. Even though Ness and TL are my mains for this iteration, Kirby is also a tough contender too.

Slonk

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2638-2289-0078
Goodness gracious, does anyone else find airdodging to be a big issue? Seems like whenever I play someone good and get them in the air, they just airdodge my gimp/juggle attempt and then get to the ground before I can have another crack!

I'm getting better at reading them and timing until just after the dodge, but that second or so makes them lose so much height that it makes air strings basically impossible :(

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
Ugh any tips against Sonic? His speed is a nightmare and I hate that spring he can shoot out just before you can get with him. I don't want my Kirby to lose to some has been such as Sonic, gross.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Goodness gracious, does anyone else find airdodging to be a big issue? Seems like whenever I play someone good and get them in the air, they just airdodge my gimp/juggle attempt and then get to the ground before I can have another crack!

I'm getting better at reading them and timing until just after the dodge, but that second or so makes them lose so much height that it makes air strings basically impossible :(
I know how that feels. Makes combos at high percents very difficult. Unless you attack them as soon as you land, I'm afraid I have none.

Slonk

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2638-2289-0078
I know how that feels. Makes combos at high percents very difficult. Unless you attack them as soon as you land, I'm afraid I have none.
I also like to play as Shiek, and everyone raves about her U-throw to u-air combos, but it rarely works for me as they just airdodge after the U-throw. I have a huge amount of trouble against Little Mac as her, even though everyone goes "oh, just get him in the air and you're fine". But he just airdodges and fast falls and then we're back at square one!

Ugh any tips against Sonic? His speed is a nightmare and I hate that spring he can shoot out just before you can get with him. I don't want my Kirby to lose to some has been such as Sonic, gross.
Most Sonics I fight are indeed very irritating, but 90% of them open the match with either a dash attack or down/side special straight at you. Hold down B and most of the time they run right into you for a free power!
I find the best way of fighting most Sonics is to not bother fighting them at their own game; do lots of in-and-outs and feinting without actually attacking, and general avoidance tactics. Wait them out, play defensively. This tends to frustrate them, and then they often fall back on the same tactics or make stupid mistakes in their annoyance- if you're playing as Sonic, I'd hazard a guess that you're not a very patient player.

Apart from that, I got nothin'

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
I also like to play as Shiek, and everyone raves about her U-throw to u-air combos, but it rarely works for me as they just airdodge after the U-throw. I have a huge amount of trouble against Little Mac as her, even though everyone goes "oh, just get him in the air and you're fine". But he just airdodges and fast falls and then we're back at square one!

Most Sonics I fight are indeed very irritating, but 90% of them open the match with either a dash attack or down/side special straight at you. Hold down B and most of the time they run right into you for a free power!
I find the best way of fighting most Sonics is to not bother fighting them at their own game; do lots of in-and-outs and feinting without actually attacking, and general avoidance tactics. Wait them out, play defensively. This tends to frustrate them, and then they often fall back on the same tactics or make stupid mistakes in their annoyance- if you're playing as Sonic, I'd hazard a guess that you're not a very patient player.

Apart from that, I got nothin'
I was patient at first and winning at the beginning and than I got REALLY impatient and kept losing. LOL. I need way more patience. Thanks for the tips.

Last edited:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
You know airdodging loses to doing nothing right? If your opponent is consistently airdodging your followups, then you need to be patient, wait for the airdodge, and then attack.

Sonic is an extremely obnoxious matchup for anyone, but especially for characters like Kirby. Ideally you'd get him above you and then juggle him, but thanks to his Spring he can jump way out of reach, and then attempt to land and reset the situation. Of course, on the ground he can also just run away really fast to reset the situation. Your best bet is probably empty shorthops/walking towards him if you have to approach. Jab stops his SideB approach, and then if you jab afterwards you'll at least clank with his own jab followup. It's going to be one of those boring matchups, where you can't combo him very well (you can get some 2-3 hit combos, but anytime he gets above you from uptilts or whatever he Springs away) and it requires a lot of patience. And reaction time. Which is impossible on wifi.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Also, remember that if they airdodge into the ground, there's like 22 or 24 frames of landing lag, Plenty of time to punish them. If somebody is spamming airdodge, it'll be incredibly easy to bait it and then punish them, too. Also, N-Air lasts for so long that it can usually hit them when they come out of the airdodge.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
As I currently edit the OP, please go to the Social Thread and post who'd you like to start our first week with! If you can, give a reason for why.
My suggestion is we start with characters that are seen the most. The reason is because since the game is still new we'll have more to talk about the commonly-used characters than the others. My top-10 suggestions would be:

:4diddy::4fox::4greninja::4myfriends::4littlemac::4megaman::4robinm::4sheik::4shulk::4zss:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
My suggestion is we start with characters that are seen the most. The reason is because since the game is still new we'll have more to talk about the commonly-used characters than the others. My top-10 suggestions would be:

:4diddy::4fox::4greninja::4myfriends::4littlemac::4megaman::4robinm::4sheik::4shulk::4zss:
Thank you! From what I know, the least discussed match-ups out of those characters that have been talked about in the Kirby boards is Ike, Mega Man, Robin, and ZSS. The others have been discussed to an extent, albeit lackluster. Anybody else have any feedback before we get this going?

PSIBoy

Smash Lord

What about difficult matchups? I frankly don't know much in the way of Kirby matchups, but he probably does struggle against the likes of :4sheik::4zss::4diddy: at least. Maybe :4rob::4shulk::4samus::4robinm::4lucario::4marth: and :4link: too.

Top Bottom