• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby needs his hammer replaced with something else

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Are you serious.

So Ice Climbers, MetaKnight, Snake, Wario, Diddy, and Olimar is not obnoxious to to you in any way?

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Sure, Diddy is a jerk character and MK is a slightly less annoying (though vastly more powerful) version of Kirby. The others are fine IMO. Dedede is probably actually my most hated Brawl character due to the major weight discrepancies he has going on but I say Kirby because I'm more used to Melee and Peach doesn't have the same level of air time in general. I just really don't like facing floaties so, besides Diddy, all my most disliked matchups are them.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
im alright with jiggs. i figured out just recengly that jiggy is an awesome aerial approacher (ive been neglecting jiggs for a long time) although ive only used jiggs on cpus, i have to wait till school starts again so i can try jiggly out on my friends.

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
I actually like the flaming dash attack from Melee. They could easily buff it in the new game to make it better, while allowing it to retain that lingering effect that makes it annoying to defend against.

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
I actually like the flaming dash attack from Melee. They could easily buff it in the new game to make it better, while allowing it to retain that lingering effect that makes it annoying to defend against.
oh god, not this again.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
No.

The Hammer is fine, you may feel like it doesn't work for him, but not everyone does.

Plus, it's very useful when used correctly.

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
oh god, not this again.
A differing opinion? Oh no! Jeebus.

IMO, a flaming dash can be changed to have the properties of his headspin attack, just with a much more colorful and interesting animation change. Flaming impact or a headspin?

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
So, you'd like spin dash with a flaming effect.

You know I'm glad Nintendo and Sakurai doesn't take people's suggestions.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Break Dash =/= Spin Dash. I'm pretty sure nobody would be in favour of Kirby having Spin Dash, what with it being so similar to Rollout.
Also, I'm not really sold on the idea of flaming Break Dash since it wouldn't get rid of Break Dash's one real failing.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Break Dash =/= Spin Dash. I'm pretty sure nobody would be in favour of Kirby having Spin Dash, what with it being so similar to Rollout.
Also, I'm not really sold on the idea of flaming Break Dash since it wouldn't get rid of Break Dash's one real failing.
How is it similar to Rollout?

I can't believe you actually think Kirby is obnoxious to fight.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
You charge it up, then you roll back and forth along the floor. Both moves have the same basic design, as does Yoshi's Egg Roll.

And obnoxious =/= hard by the way, obnoxious = annoying and unpleasant. I don't like facing floaties.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
You charge it up, then you roll back and forth along the floor. Both moves have the same basic design, as does Yoshi's Egg Roll.

And obnoxious =/= hard by the way, obnoxious = annoying and unpleasant. I don't like facing floaties.
You don't charge spin dash....you run forwards and hit a button. And it doesn't travel back and forth, AND it slows down very quickly after use, AND, it doesn't send someone flying immediately, it quickly racks up a bit of damage first.

Unless I'm blind as a bat and have missed something throughout several years of playing Brawl, I don't see any similarites between Rollout and the spin dash whatsoever.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
You seem to be failing to grasp the concept of my initial statement. Vinyl was talking about "spin dash", a move Sonic has that is functionally almost identical Roll Out and Egg Roll. What they should have been talking about was Break Dash or Yo-yo Spin or whatever it's called.
I then went on to say that under no circumstances should Kirby get Spin Dash/Roll Out/Egg Roll, partially because it wouldn't really fit him and partially because it would make him even more similar to Jigs.

I agree that Kirby's Brawl dash attack has no similarity to Roll Out but that was never in question. Jeez, if you people are going to hate on my posts all the time, atleast try and understand them first. It's not hard.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I'm not hating on them, and from what I saw, Vinyl referred to Kirby's dash as the spin dash in the link.

There are a few differences between Rollout and the other specials of Yoshi and Sonic though.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Oh, my mistake then.

Spin dash fits with him more than sonic though.
Mostly because I always call sonic's move a dash attack.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Ok, no, not this time. Nor has it necessarily been you in the past. The point is that my posts are surprisingly unpopular for something that nobody seems to understand.
I could tell by the low amount of likes in comparison to your post count. (Likes don't necessarily tell how popular someone is, but your amount is still quite low)

I made another mistake myself when I forgot what Lemonwater said.

Anyway, we should probably keep things on topic of Kirby's hammer. (which is perfectly fine in my opinion, and a smart Kirby player will know when to use it)

ryuu seika

Smash Master
To be fair, the vast majority of my posts were made before there was a like button but you still have a point.

I'm not totally sold on Brawl's aerial Hammer. It's not really that interesting. There's nothing actively wrong with it, Melee's just seemed more inspired.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I wonder why they decided to change it? In the trailer the aerial version of the attack appeared to be just like it was in Melee. (aside from being a shorter range)

D

Deleted member

I liked Brawl's Hammer. I love going into some combos with Kirby and then follow up with the Hammer in the air. Not only that, but I love using it for recovery and to use it against those who are going to recover. I don't use it as much on the ground since it takes a while to get off. I hated the one in Melee since I never found much use for it and the Hammer spin in the air? That was garbage. I'm glad that they changed it in Brawl and I hope its mechanics stay the same in SSB4.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Either improve it or remove it.

I still would want it to be like its source material. When that Pink Blob dashes, he should do the hammer spin.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Kirby WILL and SHOULD keep his hammer. Not keeping the hammer b/c Dedede uses a hammer is like saying not keeping stone because dare i say it Onix is a playable character... or something to that effect. Final Cutter, Hammer, and Stone were all abilities he could copy in the Kirby games, he cant really change it to anything else without the argument of "There's a similar move another character can do already" :ohwell:

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I thought this discussion has been over with.

Oh wait, let me make this more clear.

I thought this discussion has been over with.

It's not gonna happen. Hammer will be staying the same as Sakurai intends to. If you are aware that your suggestions will never be responded to and will not be done in the game, then I'd like to know why you at least think that they'll be done in the next.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
No more discussion about replacing the hammer, please.

If anything, just talk about how it could be changed, that is, if we haven't already gotten footage of the hammer in action, on both the ground and in the air.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
i think the second swing of the aerial hammer should be a spike.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
When he has stolen somebody's ability, his hammer should be replaced with that person's side+b.
This way Kirby would have access to both the foe's B and side B, which actually makes Kirby more justice - staying true to his games.

Angiance

Smash Lord
The marshmallow's hammer in Brawl is actually very good (especially the aerial hammer); the one thing that needs fixing is it's phantom lag.

Top Bottom