• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby needs his hammer replaced with something else

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
As the 47th King of Phantoms, I'll ensure this phantom lag is put at ease.

No but seriously, I don't know what phantom lag is either.

Angiance

Smash Lord
Phantom lag: extra frames saved from another move. Use Kirby's hammer on the ground, then jump; upon landing, Kirby'll have extended landing lag, even on aerials. The air hammer also has phantom lag.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
I don't play Kirby all that often, but I think the hammer should stay, sure it's incredibly unsafe on the ground, but if you get a good read it can be devastating in the air, especially since it has two hits instead of one.

Yoichi Hiruma

Smash Journeyman
I think it should be the Hammer from Super Star.
You can charge it and if you charge it, it hits at a more upward angle with fire.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
I think it should be the Hammer from Super Star.
You can charge it and if you charge it, it hits at a more upward angle with fire.
I imagined using the flaming hammer swing kirby had in kirbys return to dreamland as a smash hammer attack. It would have a flameing hitbox behind him for a few frames and then swing forward and upward in the angle you described. It would be slower, but more powerful.

Yoichi Hiruma

Smash Journeyman
No, the Hammer was changed in design. The face does have the star anymore, and the arrangement of the colors is slightly different.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I see "Kirby needs his hammer..." under the subheading and I go "WUT, NO, HIS HAMMER IS HORRIBAD!" And then I click on the thread and find out that the ellipsis cuts it off at a most inoportune time. I agree, Kirby needs his Hammer replaced with something better, but what is so iconic to his power-up repertoire that surpasses the Hammer? Perhaps it could take his opponents SideB?
Remember, Sakurai said he wanted to refresh the veteran's movesets, and later made a comment saying that none of the moves are final (as of x screenshot).

Tenguman

Smash Rookie
i like the hammer, keep it.

just buff it on the ground by decreasing the start up time to make it a better punish, or decrease the recovery to make it a better poke.

KirbyStar1992

Smash Rookie
I like Kirby's Hammer move. It adds some extra "umph" to his attacks. It wasn't as great in Melee, but in Brawl, that thing could do some massive damage. If you got decently low, you could use it to knock some people out.

The video I normally post in my signature has some examples:

Check out 2:19 minute and 3:27 to see what happens when King Dedede or Meta Knight gets wacked!

---------------------------
KirbyStar1992

A lover of all things Kirby

Kirby Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdTdM0sOnxE

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Keep hammer, end of story. All of Kirby's B attacks are actually useful offensively (not in top level of course), and the hammer is the cornerstone of his specials. Its very good for punishing on the ground and for causing pressure in the air.

XTheElegantShadowX

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3625-7979-8675
I would say that the Hammer should stay. It doesn't really act as a detriment to his Moveset whatsoever, and for those who say that it's hard to hit with, try using it after tripping the opponent with Kirby's Down-Normal. It's actually quite comboable if you know what you're doing. Though, I do agree that it could use some Buffs here and there. :)

Also, if any Attack in Kirby's arsonal should change, it should be his Rock move. :I

SmasherCat

Smash Journeyman
Hey, that tripping thing is a good idea. Only thing is, they could roll behind you and punish accordingly.

The hammer is nice to mix up recovery and defeat edgeguarders. On land, all you need is a single full jump and a swing, and you have two swings at head and body level, respectively.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Kirby as a character is a guy who likes to play with his enemies with his grabs and the copy abbility, however, this philosophy of the character only really applies in a free for all match.

My point is, once you are done with a character you could simply smash him with the hammer and finish the match, so, it actually follows of the ideal of the character :B

SRUFUS3D

Smash Journeyman
I perfer the hammer it is so good at mindgames, edgegaurding, recovery and getting cool KOs. But if they were to replace it I would go for the cutter boomerang!

SRUFUS3D

Smash Journeyman
I anyone is unhappy with the hammer. i bet you will love it if you buff speed and range(melees hammer range) of attack.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Hammer was good when used properly.
I'd like it gone either way. Dedede already represents the Hammer ability anyway (Down Special acts similar to Hammer Flip and a few other minor tidbits) plus, it seems rather bland compared to other abilities Kirby can use in his games.

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
The only change I'd want for the hammer is for him to do a hammer spin when he uses it in a dash - that would make me happy, but I'd also be content if that didn't happen.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Brawl's hammer was cool with me.

Melee's hammer though...if you liked that, the terrorists win.

So hammer is kinda fine. Having said that in the games there was a special motion that allowed you to throw the hammer.....maybe that should be added?

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
Brawl's hammer was cool with me.

Melee's hammer though...if you liked that, the terrorists win.

So hammer is kinda fine. Having said that in the games there was a special motion that allowed you to throw the hammer.....maybe that should be added?
Like a smash dashing hammer?

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
well my dream came true. kirby now has a flaming hammer swing called hammer flip

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
not quite. in the game, or at least RTDL, you stood there for a moment before swinging. in ssb4, you can hold it longer and move about. which i think is kind of a rip off of Dededes jet hammer. i would have prefered it to be a smash special rather than a charged special.

CandyWizard

Smash Rookie
I actually really like the hammer. It worked really well in Brawl for KOing. But that's just my opinion.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
No need to fix what ain't broken.

I remember how the aerial hammer in Melee was bad but in Brawl, thank goodness it became awesesome.

Top Bottom