• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby MetaGame discussion

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
i like to use rock just on the edge as far over as i can go and when people come up from up by rolling or attacking it pushes me off and they get hit. some people dont see it comin lol.

also i was trying gonzo combo with different copy abilittys and some work well. like wario.fthrow-uair-fthrow-bite is really good. work with marth. fthorw-uair marths b move, i forget what its called.
it works with different people too. this is nice character specifics to learn. we should look into this.

drSuper

Smash Apprentice
Since we're talking about rock, and I haven't seen this posted anywhere else

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGZnX9Pj5dc

I think this makes pictochat an effective counterpick against people with limited recoveries and just for some sweet mindgrapes

I found couterpicks to be an important part of a tournament kirby
Rainbow cruise is my favorite since an upthrow from the bottom left hand side almost always results in a kill

Sakki

Smash Cadet
Since we're talking about rock, and I haven't seen this posted anywhere else

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGZnX9Pj5dc

I think this makes pictochat an effective counterpick against people with limited recoveries and just for some sweet mindgrapes

I found couterpicks to be an important part of a tournament kirby
Rainbow cruise is my favorite since an upthrow from the bottom left hand side almost always results in a kill
Isn't pictochat banned in most tournies? It is cool though, I actually caught my lil brother off guard on when i tried it on Poke Stadium and he had a classic what the eff look on his face xD

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
Isn't pictochat banned in most tournies? It is cool though, I actually caught my lil brother off guard on when i tried it on Poke Stadium and he had a classic what the eff look on his face xD
hey my friend Race played you at AX and said you owned everyone and 3stocked people in FFAs

XD

lol he is one of my main practice partners so he knows how to play kirby pretty well o.O

maybe I'll play you saturday when I hang out at the console room? =P my friend tells me you're super good :)

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
im gonna bumb cause i dont want this thread to die. we need to get discussion going for the sake of god teir

jtowns

Smash Apprentice
I made up my own combo that works on fast fallers, I can't remember it right now though, still going through the testing on characters. I'll get back to you asap. It's d-throw u-air b-air at low percents, I believe. That might not be it, I'm really burnt out and tired. Maybe a new combo to integrate! Gonzo, I do like your combo a lot though. Worked on it for a few days to get it down perfectly. Heading to a SoVa tourney sometime this weekend hopefully. You should come :p

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
I made up my own combo that works on fast fallers, I can't remember it right now though, still going through the testing on characters. I'll get back to you asap. It's d-throw u-air b-air at low percents, I believe. That might not be it, I'm really burnt out and tired. Maybe a new combo to integrate! Gonzo, I do like your combo a lot though. Worked on it for a few days to get it down perfectly. Heading to a SoVa tourney sometime this weekend hopefully. You should come :p
When exactly?

jtowns

Smash Apprentice
Highscore tourney, wow imtrashed. August 9, next saturday. start at 12. setup for bringing systems is 11. sponsored by monster or something. good amount of people and possibly G-reg and people. should be a good tourney, I think I can win ^_^

WildStar

Smash Journeyman
I believe f-air is a good way to punish someone who is air dodging to much. The first kicks may miss, but the last should connect.
True, I always spam it.. especially if there trying to recover. But if you do it right you can do it about two or three times straight. And I find that for most people it's hard to recover from the first string.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
uall no u can use Fair to setup Fsmash right? if u fastfall the Fair so only the first two connect and not the third kick ur opponent is stunned enough and close enough to get hit by Fsmash

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
uall no u can use Fair to setup Fsmash right? if u fastfall the Fair so only the first two connect and not the third kick ur opponent is stunned enough and close enough to get hit by Fsmash
Didn't I say that awhile ago too? :( lol
Fair>grab is great too

Oh and gonzo something I've been doing recently is utilt utilt(sometimes more) usmash. I think I even did it on a G&W. I don't know if its escapable or not but I haven't seen anyone get out of it yet as long as I don't screw up lol. Fsmash can work better though if they are drifting out towards the sides, but this one I'm pretty sure is escapable.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
yeah i've thought about that i think its pretty good just cuz we really dont use Usmash that often anyway plus by the time were ready to kill its knockback has been restored. Plus Utilt is pretty easy to hit wit.

Phantomwake

Smash Journeyman
I am surprised this has not yet been mentioned and I am hoping it is not because it is useless
I am currently just playing computers so actual results will vary

But I am edgeguarding way over the edge where Kirby Shows how truly ridiculous he is

With FF Dair to Footstool

Most some of the characters (MK, Snake, Pit) will usually recover from the Dair alone but the time in
footfall is often enough to make recovery impossible

And then of course Kirby can recover w/o the final cutter if you want

P.S. there is even still time to taunt

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
i think kirbys strongest game is off the stage airguarding or whatever. if the 2 chars got off the stage kirby has the advantage. bair and as mentioned above dair are excellent moves off stage(aswell as on stage but are more deadly off) this is a strong point in kirbys game here. same as in melee it was his only strength though. i think mastering kirbys off stage will greatly increase his standing on the teir list. like versus falco and snake airguarding them is easier. so that gives us more advantage over those 2 high teir chars.

i like to copy falcos laser and edgeguard with it. just jump right off the stage inturrupt his phantasm or firebird and keep goin down with him it screws him up.

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
eh I don't feel like making a new thread so I'll post here.

Now you know how some characters like Zamus use attacks to stoped their momentum? (dair and downb for zamus depending on the direction) I was curious if kirbys downb still completely stops his movement even when he is sent flying from the stage. So you could hypothetically do downb as soon as possible and live longer if it completely stopped your movement and you realeased asap.

I really don't know why I haven't tested this before because I've been thinking about it for a long time...
I'm at work right now though so I can't test it =/

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
it does but the start up is so long and u dont cancel the momentum until u get into rock. So its not always worth using. However when hit vertically it does help a little.

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
Ahh too bad. Well anyways DSF told me awhile ago a way to be able to jump the fastest possible after you've been hit. Just do your quickest aerial (for kirby a bair) and you will be able to jump immediately after using it. Basically just do an aerial instead of an airdodge and you can jump sooner.

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
interesting, u know u cant kill urself by upBing? perhaps if upB is not laggy enough u can use that
yeah actually it goes for anyjumping i beleive. it was the same in melee. its how the luigi ladder worked. try becoming wario man and then jumping up and doin nuetral air as fast as ytou can. youll keep goin up and never die unless you fart.

upb does cancel momentum aswell so that might work.

eh I don't feel like making a new thread so I'll post here.

=/
thats what i want you to do in this thread.

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
Problem with doing upb is that you will get punished easier upon landing... Stone would generally be better since it can be cancelled and protects you from getting followed up off the top.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
thats tru but if ur gonna die using stone and upB is ur only option course ur gonna use upB and try and mindgame for the edge on ur way down. Honestly its fairly difficult kill ur momentum vertically unless u use Dair. That thing u told me that DSF told u. About Bairing first then jumping. is really good, Bair, then jump and cancel the jump with Hammer = amazing momentum canceling

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
Yeah I didn't think to also use hammer to stop momentum too. Anyways this can be the kirby secret method of momentum cancel :) lol

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
Momentum does help when you're fighting MK to be srs. It's good mind games too.
Umm I don't think you quite get what we mean by momentum canceling? Basically, its just stopping your movement after being hit as fast as possible. Its to help you live longer. Not sure how you'd be using that as mindgames?? o.O

jtowns

Smash Apprentice
I edited my other post and put in random bull**** because I was being a sarcastic douchebag. But I understand what you mean, haha. I was just messing around.

Dflected

Smash Cadet
Cool Thing # 1: Sometimes when you use his Inhale, it will suck your opponent towards you and then away from you and off the edge. I have done it and have heard other people do it. We need to figure out how to consistently do that.

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
I dunno... it makes you fall slower but don't know what it would do while your being knocked away.

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
i saw in a video, i forgot the one though. kirby got hit alittle not very high but hard still. and then did a rock and kept moving up until the rock was out. so i dont think that the rock would be good cause of that. inhale doesnt make sense though it doesnt do anything. the only thing i think would work if kirby did any sort of jump or upb to resist the knockback.

T-nuts

Smash Ace
sorry to change the subject, and umm im sure this is old news but ive never seen people talk about it...people know about kirbys fthrow-->fair combo right? between the percent the gonzo combo stops working, and about the next 25% this combo works, on seemingly just about every character. you just do the fthrow then immediatley double jump as you continue to move forward and use the fair while you rise.

at the upper limit of the percents for this combo though it seems you usually cant get all 3 hits of fair, either just the first and last or just the last.

also on lighter characters does anyone else prefer to just use dthrow at low percents instead of the gonzo combo and then follow up with mindgames? i do, but i was wondering what people thought about this.

haha it seems the best throw to use changes many times based on opponent percentage...
at first use fthrow or maybe dthrow, then use fthrow, then use dthrow, then use uthrow.

Top Bottom