• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Everything -- Kirby Social Thread

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
I want U-Throw to deal 10%+ and kill floaties around 140-150%. F-Throw should also deal more damage and give a better angle for followups.

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
Hey guys i'm new around here but i've been watching alot of project m lately and loving how it looks but i can't download the game because my laptop doesn't have anywhere to put an sd card. Is there an alternative method of getting it or am i out of luck?

Jinjo64

Smash Apprentice
So I've been watching chudat playing kirby in both brawl and project m. Why did they get rid the usefulness of his forward throw??? I actually liked the combos in brawl with kirby. Also sidenote...I am not an expert at brawl.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
^Probably because it was too automatic, which is what they are trying to avoid i think. Then again a lot of characters have "automatic" combos from throws at low %s so idk. I would suggest to just make Kirby's fthrow animation faster (somewhere around Falcon dthrow speed) just so its a little harder to react to and DI away.

Here guys work on your tech chases. http://reactiontraining.herokuapp.com/

Last edited:

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
What's everyone's perferred control scheme for kirby? I have my own perferred method but pm is way different from brawl so i'm not sure it's the best one.

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
Guys i just did an F-throw to solarbeam on a ivysaur at like 50% which is kill percent for a solarbeam and won the match. Not sure if it's a true combo so i will have to do further testing now and i'll come back with the results later.

Edit:It only works without DI so we have to make sure they don't expect it but it works till like 150% but fast fall u-air to solarbeam works at like 40%.

Last edited:

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Guys i just did an F-throw to solarbeam on a ivysaur at like 50% which is kill percent for a solarbeam and won the match. Not sure if it's a true combo so i will have to do further testing now and i'll come back with the results later.

Edit:It only works without DI so we have to make sure they don't expect it but it works till like 150% but fast fall u-air to solarbeam works at like 40%.
They can always react to the throw animation and DI but that's why its the best one, there are like 10 more combos and 20 more strings or option coverages. If you master them all the situations pop up one after another.

Last edited:

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
I'm think i'm starting to get a bit of tunnel vision. Every time I play some friendlies in PM it feels like i'm not getting any better at anything when I play a match because it feels like i'm doing the same exact things over and over. I need help before I turn myself into an obstacle.

Player -0

Smash Hero
There a couple of guides that can help you with that. You can also record the matches and then watch them over again. You can even ask the guy you're playing against. You have to think why you're doing what you're doing and what will happen because of what you just chose. While doing this you have to think of your opponent's response to your "statement" or choice.

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
I'm think i'm starting to get a bit of tunnel vision. Every time I play some friendlies in PM it feels like i'm not getting any better at anything when I play a match because it feels like i'm doing the same exact things over and over. I need help before I turn myself into an obstacle.
Find someone who just destroys you and between stocks think about what went wrong and try to implement new ideas. Playing better people is the quickest way to get better.

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
It is, having full movesets for each power was the best. Took them too damn long to finally bring it back for RtDL and TD.

OmegaMuffin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OmegaMuffin498
I wasn't a fan of Super Star's structure. Return to Dream Land and Triple Deluxe pulled it off better.
I didn't like SS was a bunch of tiny stories. But I loved the gameplay and the challenge aspect of the game. combine that with the introduction of full movesets for the powers, of course people are going to say it was great. RtDL and TD are beautiful and the gameplay is great, I just wish they both gave more of a challenge.

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
I need to play Tilt N' Tumble, but there's no good way to do that since I don't have a GBC... :(

Ninty, y u no put it on the 3DS eShop and use the gyroscope for controls?

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
I tried to dig out my old copy to replay it, but my adult eyes can no longer handle the GBC's non-backlit screen. And since the GBA SP has the cartridge slot on the bottom, that makes it kinda difficult to play on.

Sadly I doubt we'll see a VC rerelease any time soon. It'd be a fair amount of extra work to implement the tilt sensor emulation, all for just one game.

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
Didn't really want to make a new thread as I don't have enough data, but I really wanna share this. At zero, if you down throw wolf and immediately jab, that jab will jab reset if they miss tech, but you will also have enough frames to grab tech in place/react to tech rolls. That is pretty insane. I think reaction tech chases are on the horizon for any aspiring Kirby main and this is just another thing to add to your tool belt.

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
I said wolf because that's who I tested on as I just thought of it while fighting wolf, a few other characters can do it, but theirs either require a di mixup (Pit), have lots of moving parts (squirtle), or only kinda work/have major drawbacks (Meta Knight). You don't need to move with Kirby, so its just a matter of being quick and close to frame perfect. The other reason I said Wolf was it was a fastfaller. Floater characters that still are at percents where it forces a tech situation, it just means a little more moving and a little less frame perfection required (re: easier). I would love to see a Kirby pull this off on stream, but I guess the prerequisite would be the reaction tech chasing seeing as its mostly useful when in conjunction with that.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
PMDT members when you get around to looking at Kirby changes look here and consider.

here is a google doc of the changes I want for Kirby. I might still make a change here or there but the core of it is set in stone. Goal was to make him not underwhelming in the meta while keeping the "jank" at an acceptable level making it fun to play as, play against, and to watch. Also to increase his skill ceiling, and possibly skill floor a bit, so development throughout the years doesnt become stale; all while keeping his playstyle in tact.

I just made/really worked on the doc like not that long ago, so for some changes there arent exact BKB, KBG, range, etc. changes because I was too lazy to find them. I just say works like Samus' jab 1, or kills at 140%, assume the BKB and KBG were changed to match that as best as possible. Dont discredit the change because I dont know exact numbers. I got as much exact info as I could by looking around the boards, a lot from skellitorman's thread. I was also going to put detailed paragraphs for the reasons of the change but got lazy.

Last edited:

DblCrest

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DblCrest
3DS FC
0018-2708-3882
I'm going to hang about here more often now that the semester started up again . The group I meet up with plays Smash for Wii u/3ds only casually and as a result the 1on1 matches get real boring for me it's too easy XD

BUT they play competitive PM and given how much of a beast Kirby is in it I'd like to see how far I can get.
Also just a question...is there any point in using stone now? Since you can still be knocked out of it...by link's bombs of all things. =/

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
Stone is your get-out-of-jail-free card for whenever you get juggled. It should never be used to tank hits lol.

qwertz143

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
QWER#215
Switch FC
3943-7485-4011
here is a google doc of the changes I want for Kirby. Im just gonna put it up here for the hell of it, I might still make a change here or there but the core of it is set in stone. Goal was to make him not underwhelming in the meta while keeping the "jank" at an acceptable level making it fun to play as, play against, and to watch. Also to increase his skill ceiling, and possibly skill floor a bit, so development throughout the years doesnt become stale; all while keeping playstyle freedom in tact.

I just made/really worked on the doc like not that long ago, so for some changes there arent exact BKB, KBG, range, etc. changes because I was too lazy to find them. I just say works like Samus' jab 1, or kills at 140%, assume the BKB and KBG were changed to match that as best as possible. Dont discredit the change because I dont know exact numbers. I got as much exact info as I could by looking around the boards, a lot from skellitorman's thread. I was also going to put detailed paragraphs for the reasons of the change but got lazy.

Hopefully PMDT can take a look at this and emulate this type of playstyle as best as possible; and/or create a PSA of these changes, try it out, and see how well it functions in the meta even with a few or so changes.
The rock and final cutter nerfs aren't really necessary. We need the jumps for the cutter.

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
Stone is for when you see your opponent commit to something punishable. It can also be a panic button to get out of juggles, but I really don't recommend relying on that too much, you're in trouble if they catch on.

Mowg

Smash Cadet
I liked what the PM team did with Samus, the Ice move-set, Super wave dash, new crawl and crawl attack. They gave Samus more options while keeping her core gameplay indelible. Also, the moves are well, reminiscent of the Metroid games. Samus is to me the best example of changes to a smash character which preserve functionality and aesthetics (this Metroid fanboy concurs). Ivysaur is another honorable mention, I think that SOLARBEAM>BULLETSEED has been established.

Kirby is also deserving of these kinds of changes. Like Samus, Kirby has had a lot of tools in his repertoire over the years. The PM team did add an old dash attack, and a new utility for Uspecial, did I forget something else?

Kirby seems to need better mobility options, either on the ground or in the air. I like how Lucas, Ivysaur, Lucario all got new moves that benefit the player over the course of the match, although they are all attacks and not movement options.

Mowg

Smash Cadet
I used to have Kirby 64, where you acquire abilities sometimes from stars that appear, usually by cancelling your ability, Kirby can make a star that he has the option to throw at an enemy to create a hybrid star, a hybrid ability.

PM Kirby proposition: what if Kirby could use his taunt, while he has a copy ability from his opponent, and instead of the star just disappearing, it created a star projectile? The star could be picked up and thrown just like grenades, bananas, ROB tops and whatnot, however, I would make the projectiles weak, and not so encouraging to use as an offensive projectile, to be weaker and have less gimp-utility than turnips. It should feel light like the Fan. The Kirby stars should also have a long time before disappearing, like Snake's mines and C4, and not like ROB tops, but should disappear when Kirby dies. Of course the opponent can pick it up too.

What's the point? adding a new dimension to Kirby's taunt and Neutral Special. Maybe there can be a creative way to have less steps in this process. This is a scenario in my imagination. Kirby vs. Fox: Swallow>copy ability>taunt to create star=lose copy ability>possibly grab the star and continue>Swallow again>copy ability>taunt to create another star=lose copy ability>throw 1st star that Kirby is holding into the 2nd star>impact creates small hitbox that deters opponent a bit(like stars around Yoshi's Dspecial)=and behold a hybrid star/projectile is born. Kirby would then have the option to swallow this hybrid star to acquire the hybrid ability or use it as a heavier, stronger, rangier projectile.

Perhaps the new hybrid ability be this: a single use midair or grounded attack that is noticeable faster and stronger than the rest of Kirby's moves. Ice-skate Kirby could be his grounded move-attack option, temporarily giving Kirby faster walk, run and dash speed as well as a single-use spinning attack where he slashes with Ice powers and skates. The midair option could be a different ability, but serve the same function, to give Kirby another option to make his core gameplay more viable, being an up-close brawler that has innate disadvantages to the other up-close brawlers and characters that use projectiles against which he needs help to get in their face better, or to evade and bait better.

Nintendo probably wouldn't like this idea. They are probably opposed to Project M as a whole. Project M probably wouldn't like it because it would entail a lot of work. Giving Kirby more abilities based on the games would be taking additional risks from the legal standpoint.

So much fuss over a pink ball.

Top Bottom