• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Everything -- Kirby Social Thread

metaXzero

Smash Champion
I know they at least made Kirby's F-air like Brawl and say it as such in the changelist
http://uglook.net/writing/sdremix/#kirby

Eh. I'm not really liking the sound of Wizard Kick Dash attack (I mean it's better than the awful original, but I like PM DA), but an actually good Melee style hammer and Copy being safe sounds cool. Dunno though. Still feels like SDR Kirby is just a fixed Melee Kirby rather than being balanced to compete with Melee top tiers. But what do I know?

Jinjo64

Smash Apprentice
metaXzepost: 18334388 said:
I know they at least made Kirby's F-air like Brawl and say it as such in the changelist
http://uglook.net/writing/sdremix/#kirby

Eh. I'm not really liking the sound of Wizard Kick Dash attack (I mean it's better than the awful original, but I like PM DA), but an actually good Melee style hammer and Copy being safe sounds cool. Dunno though. Still feels like SDR Kirby is just a fixed Melee Kirby rather than being balanced to compete with Melee top tiers. But what do I know?
Yeah I actually didnt like the sound of this game, but when I played it. I fell in love withI It and pichu is so cute. Also pm kirby does have a waaaaay better final cutter. I love the ledge backwards cutter stall. so much fun.

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
Meh... I don't really like Melee's air Hammer at all. Even if they made it slightly less terrible. I also really liked Brawl Kirby aside from his D-Air's atrocious startup.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Melee air hammer to me is the kind of move that could easily be made not terrible. It's issue in Melee was the landing lag was so long/hitstun from it was so low that Kirby would get punished unless he did it backwards and the opponent doesn't DI. Especially since it brought opponents closer to Kirby. The move still had decent start-up and range though. Fix the end-lag and make it knock away and you got a decent move. And unlike Brawl/PM air hammer, you have a move that isn't constantly overshadowed by B-air.

Of course, I'm remembering the one thing I liked about Melee Kirby. The range on the hammer being noticeably bigger than Brawl.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Hammer isn't overshadowed by bair, what lol. It has way more range and knockback and doesn't require to you RAR to have all your momentum to approach with it. They have different purposes. Hammer can also put out two hits (both stronger) much quicker than bair, two in a single SH without DJing. Of course, you use bair more in general because it's a good multipurpose move, but it lacks the mid percent kill power and outreach ability of aerial hammer, which gives hammer its place.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
I know what makes B-air and air hammer different, but in alot of situations, it just comes off as "why go for it when I could B-air". The slower start-up, the length of the move, and landing lag just really hold it back for me. I do try to use and even hit with it sometimes, but I never feel it's that great or that I really expected it to hit.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Charged Usmash can duck grabs.

Last edited:

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Quick question - How scummy is it to go for kirbycides right when you get the lead stock? Not planking/spamming of course, but using it at any favorable opportunity.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Quick question - How scummy is it to go for kirbycides right when you get the lead stock? Not planking/spamming of course, but using it at any favorable opportunity.
Very.

But anything goes in tournament. Whatever floats your boat.

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
If you play like Chu Dat and do nothing but fish for it that's probably gonna piss people off. But when I just casually lure them over to the side without making it obvious and then surprise them with it, most people I've played are more impressed than salty.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
If you play like Chu Dat and do nothing but fish for it that's probably gonna piss people off. But when I just casually lure them over to the side without making it obvious and then surprise them with it, most people I've played are more impressed than salty.
Pretty much whenever I get them off the stage I try to put a wall of inhales in between them and the stage.

I'd say it's pretty spammy.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Why side-b over bair? These situations:
1. They are low percent and bair can be CC'd but you don't want to be CC'd so you side-b to knock them down
2. They are keeping good spacing from bair so you side-b to barely reach them
3. You are facing the wrong way for bair but want to land ASAP without DJing to turn around so you side-b to threaten their punish on your landing
4. They are mid percent and you want to knock them offstage with side-b instead of just knocking them near the edge with bair
5. They are mid-high percent and you want to kill them with side-b instead of knocking them offstage with bair
6. Swag

Last edited:

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Also
1. Hammer is disjointed, so you'd beat out certain attacks that you'd otherwise trade or lose.
2. You can change your momentum with Breverse and Wavebounce to catch them off guard sometimes
3. You can hammer with an item in hand
4. Swag.

Last edited:

SirWellsAlot

Smash Rookie
If it works it works bossman. I've done it plenty of times with no shame. In the end you're in it to win.
Inhale is pretty viable. It's sort of a good starter for combos and stringing neutral airs aside from the kirbycides. Useful tool for doubles as well.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
I cant wait for the day where Inhale's main use will be as a command grab mixup against shields instead of the "I saw Chudat do this, so it must be good" suicide stock trader (Kappa). The release angle for inhale should be changed to straight up similar to D3s, and in turn starshot should do 20% and cannot be mashed out of (as in the star will always travel max distance) , and copy should have 15 frames of hitstun.

---

Anyway, non-l cancelled NAir avoids grabs, just as many grabs as ducking avoids. Thoughts?

Last edited:

SirWellsAlot

Smash Rookie
I cant wait for the day where Inhale's main use will be as a command grab mixup against shields instead of the "I saw Chudat do this, so it must be good" suicide stock trader (Kappa). The release angle for inhale should be changed to straight up similar to D3s, and in turn starshot should do 20% and cannot be mashed out of (as in the star will always travel max distance) , and copy should have 15 frames of hitstun.

---

Anyway, non-l cancelled NAir avoids grabs, just as many grabs as ducking avoids. Thoughts?
Definitely something very underrated, and the neutral airs are as well. Could see that working against those who grab oos most of the time.

JipC

Smash Journeyman
Of course, I'm remembering the one thing I liked about Melee Kirby. The range on the hammer being noticeably bigger than Brawl.
Doesnt really matter when it's weak as hell and the sweetspot is tiny
Was awesome landing the sweetspot though.

skellitorman

Smash Journeyman
Found a glitch a while back and just wanted to let everyone know.

According to the changes for Cutter Dash it now "consumes all but one jump." If you Cutter Dash after having used four jumps then you can't use the last jump.

I know this is a glitch because the same description was used to describe Pit's Side B except he doesn't lose his last jump when he used all but the last one.

Hopefully this gets fixed.

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
Doesn't Cutter Dash count as using a jump, the same way Stone does?

Well, it used to... one would think that using it with 1 or 2 jumps left should leave you with 1. Either way, I can't math very well and it sounds like they dun goofed on their programming.

Last edited:

SSS

Smash Ace
I haven't been on these forums recently because I've been hard focusing on Melee but KIRBY'S TECHCHASES ARE AMAZING OMFG

that's all

oh also dthrow right on the edge to dropdown bair is amazing. they try to tech the dthrow which makes it impossible for them to tech the stagespike on the bair due to the missed tech counter.

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
Anyone else notice that you can cancel the push back from a inhale release by jumping and landing right when they get released? Being in the air also cancels the push back from the release, but your not in as prime a position. Seems useful to do this on the edge, so you able to get in to position to edgeguard better.

Also, just realize how far kirby can jump off the edge with someone inhaled.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
I feel almost dirty 3-4 stocking people with backthrow -> final cutter edge grab. So few people realize they can either drift away from the stage or airdodge through it. And people who go below the stage risk getting ledgedropped D-air.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
With 3.6 coming up, it makes me wonder if Copy will get any attention. Im not even talking about the obvious differences like Shadow Ball, Offensive Up, or Ganon Float; but like the subtle differences within the other ones. Ones that come to mind are Lucario, Yoshi, Diddy, Sonic, Squirtle, and a few others i know are different but cant think of right now.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
I'd be surprised if they touch Kirby. Hardly anyone big named plays him anymore and I don't see the PMDT having a Kirby lover/hater fighting for changes.

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
I can't see them, really making any changes to kirby.

But, i'll cross my fingers for a Up throw that can kill at realatively low %. Like make it to were they would die at like 140 with in on stage, but if you catch them below top Battlefield platform they can die at like 110.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Im sure they know his problems... I mean hopefully they do, they are very obvious. Im sure they dont need someone fighting for Kirby changes in the tier list speculation thread to know hes still not perfect. If so then sign me up lol.

Last edited:

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
I expect he'll be unchanged aside from polishing a few Copy Abilities. Perhaps a minor buff or 2? If he gets nerfed, they should fire whoever suggested nerfs.

Shenanigan

Smash Apprentice
I'd like for them to fix his down throw so it actually knocks people to the ground. Currently certain characters like Mario and Zelda can jump out of it seemingly at random

Top Bottom