• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

King Koopa's New Digs 3.0 Edition

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I see everyone is appreciating and enjoying the Bowser changes.

I'm going to be honest. Fortress hogging in Project M has been a piss-easy, fraudulent "AT" for forever, and was never a good design choice. When I actually got around to looking at how it was coded and worked, I was appalled to discover that I was trying too hard to do something that required literally no effort. I don't know how many of you guys came from Melee Bowser, but PM's fortress hogging was a joke - and I don't regret reverting it to something more reasonable for a moment. The current Fortress mechanics are still really easy, and allow fortress hogging in almost every situation. So why was it made harder? Because it never should have been that easy in the first place. There was a strong sentiment in the backroom to fix it for 2.6, and it was only put off because we didn't think we'd have enough time to assess the effects it might have on his neutral game.
Not to be rude, but that's possibly the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Every other character can wavedash off the stage to the ledge; Bowser cannot. His up+b edgehog allowed a slow character to be played fast in that environment and if you played Bowser in Melee you'd know that ledge play was central to the character. You have to be able to accept Bowser's weaknesses, and one of them was "when you are away from the ledge, you are slow". Bowser players fixed this by staying near the edge. This allowed Bowser to be played quickly AND to focus on his strengths (see: covering multiple options when edgeguarding), even in Melee.

Making things "harder to do" because they are "too easy" is a noob designers form of "that move is cheap". It's bland and doesn't help anyone.

That's the short and easy answer - looking at just that change without accounting for anything else. There are of course, more factors at play. While Bowser mains might like to believe they are playing a low-tier hero who wins against better odds, the reality is that Bowser is mostly disdained as an easy-to-play character that you don't have to practice to excel with. This is ignoring the mental effort that goes into Bowser's macro game, but when it comes to executing with Bowser, it's difficult to put up a defense. I've had more people rage and salt over losing to me - blaming my character, than I have when I played Jigglypuff in Melee. I've had people rant and rave in my face about what a terribly designed character Bowser is - with and without knowing I've worked on him.
This is known as a "noob destroyer". If you followed tournament play you'd find only 3 or 4 tournament level Bowsers (myself, Gimpyfish, Kirk, and one other guy whose name I can't recall) and with the exception of Kirk we all had incredibly small groups of people we played with. Gimpyfish played his locals, I played mine, etc., etc. You'd see a few good matches like Gimpy vs. Silentwolf or me vs. ChuDat or HankyPanky, but typically it was just us trouncing on noobs. Kirk being an obvious exception.

You're essentially using Sakurai's logic in removing L-canceling and wavedashing; newer players don't like getting trounced by it, so remove it to try to even it up. Bowser himself is a bad character. Anyone who plays him for any period of time knows this. He's just simple. Simple to play, simple to beat. He has a few good matchups, but typically he just loses to strong players because of inherent weaknesses in the design.

From a design standpoint, we've known for awhile that Bowser is a lumbering hulk that compensates for a poor neutral game with overwhelming punishes. This is part of where the salt comes from - no one likes putting in a lot of work to outplay the other guy, and then losing a stock cuz they ****ed up once.
See: ICs

That is not Bowser.

But if they don't want to lose a stock because they ****ed up once they probably shouldn't play a game designed around Melee. They might want to take a look at Brawl, it did pretty good in that regard.

To address this, there was a point where we were experimenting with a huge overhaul to Bowser's design, but we held off because we didn't want to alienate the Bowser playerbase like we did with 2.1 Ike and 2.6 Sonic. So we opted for smaller changes, designed to target rewarding precise and proper execution over sloppy play. 3.0 Bowser can do almost all the same things previous Bowser can, and he's still rewarded greatly for it. He even got a slight neutral buff in an improved flamebreath and even longer dash grab range. But he won't be able to get away with as much sloppy fair spacing, or live from haphazard bairs offstage or autopiloting a fortress at a ledge. And these are all positive changes that make the game better, even if you guys don't agree and hate us for implementing them.

As a closing point, remember that everything is still subject to change. If in the coming months you guys can show that these changes make Bowser #unviable, it's always more effective to go back and rebalance with targeted buffs now that some of the design fat has been skimmed off.

I think you need to focus on what Bowser is actually about at high level play. Bowser is not, in any way shape or form, a character with a poor neutral game that compensates with overwhelming punishes. I'm not quite sure how people get to that conclusion.

Bowser is a character with no approach game that compensates for this with a strong edgeguarding game and a strong OoShield game.

Bowser's neutral game is fine. He can play footsie with you all day by teasing with d-tilt and retreating fairs and spaced flame breath and f-tilts. He just can't approach a defensive opponent without any and all of his options leading to one of two conclusions: 1) Bowser gets a single hit and no immediate followup, meaning he has to run up and try again for his 2nd hit. 2) Bowser gets punished

Bowser seems scary because to players that don't understand things like zoning and spacing, but to any experienced player he is just a mid-tier character that can get wrecked off of one grab.

I like the fair change (especially the visual element of it), the nair change was a much needed buff for his combo game on-stage, the dash grab I don't care about much. The bair change was silly as it was part of his "good edgeguarding game" and wasn't replaced with anything whatsoever, so it was a huge nerf to Bowser. Bairing from the ledge is WAY more dangerous now and it has been his only option from the ledge on an off-stage opponent, save for his getup attack which was already nerfed.

The up+b change was just plain dumb. Being able to snap to the ledge was either too good or it wasn't. "Making it harder" doesn't do anything but make people mad. It still exists, so if it's to good it's still there. What do you expect it to do, convince someone to not play Bowser if they first pick him up? I just do not understand that decision.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
It's essentially the difference between manual and auto l-canceling. If you wish to have a certain effect happen, you must actively input the cause. Giving the player a task and rewarding them for accomplishing it are not strange concepts. It feels good to fortress hog and know that you grabbed the ledge because of something you did, rather than the game doing it for you. The old fortress rewarded you for doing nothing but steer Bowser off a ledge. The new one punishes you for not paying attention to your positioning and momentum. You can argue that all players will learn to fortress hog 100%, and nothing will change. You can also argue that all players will learn to l-cancel and it should be automatic. I don't agree with either stance - I think there's some intrinsic value in there being execution barriers for a game - otherwise what's the point in practice? What's the reward for dedication? And if you do screw up, that's a sign that maybe you're not putting in enough effort, and an encouragement to get better.

Really the only problem with this change is that it wasn't like this to begin with, and for that (along with other mistakes we've made along the way), I can only sincerely apologize.

Execution barriers are, by default, bad design. This has been known since the NES days and is why fighters are emulating the Smash model and have all the "supers" be simply inputs. quarter circlex2 punch instead of up right up left down down up+a. The former everyone can do, the latter only people who decide to devote themselves to learning it. Bad game design.

The only time execution barriers can exist and be good design is when the "execution barrier" part is secondary or if it is the only part of the game (see: DDR). If your opponent can influence the aspect in which the execution barrier can exist, it becomes a test between the two players; this is good design. L-canceling itself is dumb. Absolutely stupid, no reason for it to exist. Why not just make everything automatically have no lag?

Until you realize that players can move their shields, changing when the impact actually occurs. It is no longer rote memorization. This tore up Falco main's for a time when people learned to raise their shields at their dair approach and shield grab them. This is what makes L-canceling worthwhile. Not people practicing at home, but that people can move their shields around. That's all it takes!

When you look at Bowser's fortress edgehog, the player has nothing to do with Bowser's input. If Bowser dies, it's his fault. If Bowser lives, it's his accomplishment. You then have to ask if this is A) a choice the player is making or B) an execution error when Bowser dies. If it's B, that is textbook bad design and will commonly result in frustration. If it's A, then the player himself needs to refine his decision making abilities and this is good design.

Bowser's fortress edgehog being more difficult to accomplish is a pretty cut and dry case of bad design because
  • It doesn't change anything about the technique itself, just the input
  • The opponent has absolutely no way of affecting the outcome
  • The effect of the outcome in both the positive and negative is HUGE (literally a stock for Bowser and often the opponent)
  • It's integral to Bowser's design, making it mandatory
Unless you can change those 4 things, it's gonna stay a bad design choice.
I know you guys don't have much actual experience design-wise and you've done a decent job all around, but revert the fortress change. If you actually think the fortress edgehog is "too good" and needs to be changed, change how it actually works. Make it grab the ledge later or make the distance traveled via up+b less or something. Personally I wouldn't change it at all because if you just straight up took it out then Bowser would have a huge hole in his game and you'd need some drastic changes to the character to make him work.
TL;DR, you messed up

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
  • The effect of the outcome in both the positive and negative is HUGE (literally a stock for Bowser and often the opponent)
1. It does change the technique. You now need to either hog right on the edge, or slow down as you approach it- which is an indirect nerf to Bowser's mobility and ease of retreat from hairy situations closer to the middle of the stage because you can't just up-b, whale on the control stick, and assume that everything will be fine. The fort hog is more easily punished because your movement is restricted to a narrower range of possibilities when trying to do it.
2. Sure he does. Now you're moving at the edge more slowly, so he can try to disrupt your ledge grab with a projectile or something.
3. No bigger than a successful ledge grab in many cases.
4. Yes. So are waveshining and pillaring and float cancelling and desyncing and shffled uairs for their respective characters, all of which are way the hell harder than Bowser's easy ass tech.

It's also still incredibly easy to pull off consistently.

If you actually think the fortress edgehog is "too good" and needs to be changed, change how it actually works. Make it grab the ledge later or make the distance traveled via up+b less or something.
That is literally exactly what they did. You have to either grab the ledge later (as in Timed Fortresshogging or Slow fortresshogging because it takes a moment to slow down), or reduce the distance travelled as required for the other techniques.

EDIT: You make a lot of strong points elsewhere, though.

EDIT EDIT: This is also false:
Every other character can wavedash off the stage to the ledge; Bowser cannot.
Bowser absolutely can WD to ledgegrab. There's just no reason to, because fort hogging is just superior, easier, and less risky.

Ace55

Smash Lord
It's essentially the difference between manual and auto l-canceling. If you wish to have a certain effect happen, you must actively input the cause. Giving the player a task and rewarding them for accomplishing it are not strange concepts. It feels good to fortress hog and know that you grabbed the ledge because of something you did, rather than the game doing it for you. The old fortress rewarded you for doing nothing but steer Bowser off a ledge. The new one punishes you for not paying attention to your positioning and momentum. You can argue that all players will learn to fortress hog 100%, and nothing will change. You can also argue that all players will learn to l-cancel and it should be automatic. I don't agree with either stance - I think there's some intrinsic value in there being execution barriers for a game - otherwise what's the point in practice? What's the reward for dedication? And if you do screw up, that's a sign that maybe you're not putting in enough effort, and an encouragement to get better.

Really the only problem with this change is that it wasn't like this to begin with, and for that (along with other mistakes we've made along the way), I can only sincerely apologize.
First of, thanks for the response.

Personally I think move choice, spacing, reading your opponent and such are infinitely more satisfying than: I just performed a completely static tech correctly. L-cancelling at least has a hint of player interaction connected to it. If I'm assuming I'll hit you with an aerial but I whiff, I might miss my L-cancel. Here the interaction is solely between you and the ledge, about as static as it can get. On the other side, if I'm fighting Bowser and he SD's for no other reason than messing up a static input that is also anything but satisfying.

I've had more people rage and salt over losing to me - blaming my character, than I have when I played Jigglypuff in Melee. I've had people rant and rave in my face about what a terribly designed character Bowser is
So have I, but should we really pay attention to the complaints of 'scrubs'?

Anther

Smash Champion
It sounds like the bigger issue is that it's been nerfed but it's not being called a nerf. I'm not well versed in bowser techniques, but if you actually have to slow down before grabbing the ledge, then it's a direct nerf and being called ledgehog "finess" increase.

I think a more appropriate fix would be to slow fortress's horizontal speed or lower the distance it can travel as opposed to make him be able to suicide. I think overall it sounds like you guys (The Bowsers) would prefer that.. I probably would too with how simple fortress is. At least a shorter distanced (easy) fortresshog with low probability of suicide would be better than losing a whole stock ;).
4. Yes. So are waveshining and pillaring and float cancelling and desyncing and shffled uairs for their respective characters, all of which are way the hell harder than Bowser's easy *** tech.
Those are harder as a result of how the engine works, PLUS they're versatile. If fortress was the result of a complicated interaction of multiple moves, then it'd make sense for the input to be dangerous (i.e., you hit up-b, then have to spin the stick to make Bowser rotate his hitbox or something fun like that =P ). The move's so one dimensional that it sucks that its only alternative usage besides moving left and right has been altered from a good design choice to one that literally make you lose a stock when there no reason you'd ever want fortress to drop below the ledge.

Every other move that you can suicide with on the ledge tends to have an alternative mobility choice that doesn't make sense to make easier.

It's sort of the difference between needing to jump cancel a dashing up smash vs using the c-stick to upsmash, but adding the caveat that if you miss the jump cancel your character turns into jigglypuff and your shield breaks.

Maybe the distance traveled by fortress to get to the ledge is too far, but I think adding the suicide element to it wasn't the right nerf. Maybe he should be allowed to double jump if he falls off of the ledge without inputting it correctly? =)?

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
As far as Bowser's toxic aspects go, i'd say Up B is one of the biggest. Even if it completely holds Bowser together being able to counter virtually every attack on shield is way too much. I wouldn't completely agree on changes involving this but perhaps they would be needed.

Not sure about Bowser's ledge mechanics being toxic, however. Specially given he has no true safe options to use to get back onstage. And surely you have to understand that making a technique harder is kinda pissy when it's been the same way for a long time. And specially after Bowser players have been using that timing for so long. If Bowser is to be rebalanced to not be so toxic, then so be it, there are many mechanics that could be changed about the character to not make him rely so horribly on playing defensive and instead be more aggresive, while phasing out some of his negative aspects.
Melee SD remix Bowser is gold. He doesn't need armor to win. Imagine Bowser like that.
Go to this mirror https://sites.google.com/site/sapphiredragon77/SapphireDragon/projectm-mirror and just download 2.6 Bowser until they revert him. I still use 2.5 Fox because I don't like his nerfs. That's just what I do though you don't need to.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
1. It does change the technique. You now need to either hog right on the edge, or slow down as you approach it- which is an indirect nerf to Bowser's mobility and ease of retreat from hairy situations closer to the middle of the stage because you can't just up-b, whale on the control stick, and assume that everything will be fine. The fort hog is more easily punished because your movement is restricted to a narrower range of possibilities when trying to do it.
The technique itself is "up+b to ledge". Changing the technique would be "you can't up+b and snap to the ledge anymore, but you don't go into free fall special/you can jump out of it.

2. Sure he does. Now you're moving at the edge more slowly, so he can try to disrupt your ledge grab with a projectile or something.
I'm not sure what character you're referring to firing projectiles from off stage. ROB maybe? Regardless not very applicable. The point is the the fortress ledgehog is typically something the opponent can't really have an effect over, not that in once in a blue moon they can.

3. No bigger than a successful ledge grab in many cases.
Correct, but I don't see how this is relevant. Bowser's fortress hog is his ledge hog. It takes forever for Bowser to grab the ledge otherwise, severely limiting his edgehogging game.

4. Yes. So are waveshining and pillaring and float cancelling and desyncing and shffled uairs for their respective characters, all of which are way the hell harder than Bowser's easy *** tech.
Which is why if they made a change that said "when you float cancel, you now have to fast fall the aerial to get the lag cancel" or "you now can only desync by doing a desync action and then pressing up on the d-pad to confirm it was a desync" or something else to the above list people would say "wait, what the hell?".

It's also still incredibly easy to pull off consistently.

It's not about ease of use; it's not hard to grab the ledge with it and even if it was it wouldn't be a big deal. People learn and it becomes easy. It's about taking an existing structure and making it more difficult because they think that "making it more difficult" is somehow a good thing.

It's okay for certain things to be difficult. It's not okay for things to be made difficult on purpose as a balancing mechanism. That's doomed to fail. Either it's so impossible that no one can do it and thus doesn't truly exist anymore, or it's easy enough for someone to do with practice in which case they get a huge advantage over other players by practicing that technique. It's like the biggest black mark of design there can be.

Jacob29

Smash Ace
*2.5b lol

It was more that Fox's nerf's are nowhere near the same as Bowser's. Fox is still a very high tier character and going back a version just because you disagree with a small change to a character isn't really a good reason.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
It was more that Fox's nerf's are nowhere near the same as Bowser's. Fox is still a very high tier character and going back a version just because you disagree with a small change to a character isn't really a good reason.
Again my choice. I know I could just play Melee. But Melee doesn't have Charizard <3

Jacob29

Smash Ace
Again.. it's that it isn't at all applicable in this case.. and while I don't want to get into it here seems like a really silly choice.

Jacob29

Smash Ace
I don't know, nor do i pretend to know what will make Bowser better.. but i know nerfing his upb wont help.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Bowser's fortress edgehog being more difficult to accomplish is a pretty cut and dry case of bad design because
Unless you can change those 4 things, it's gonna stay a bad design choice.
Except making the ledge-snap more difficult to do does change the technique itself. It makes it so you have to approach the ledge at a lower speed, requiring more dedication to get the auto-snap.

It's an extremely potent ability that now requires more finesse.

As for the rest, it seems like you're just commenting on several attributes of the move and calling it bad design.

Describes just about every character-specific tech. The input is all done by the performing player. I'd argue that an AT that doesn't punish the player for screwing up is bad design, because you have no reason not to try.

Welcome to ledge play?

It's no more "mandatory" than many other character abilities.

Jacob29

Smash Ace
To be honest I'm not really seeing why bowser's ledge game is 'extremely potent'...

You have his getup attack which is nice but is VERY EASILY shield-grabable. You have all his arial's which are also extremely shield grabable. You have his side-B which is easy to not be in the range for and then get punished as you can't L-cancel it. So his ledge-to-stage game is, if anything, average.

Then we come to his ledgeguard game, you just nerfed his bair ridiculously so that isn't as good at edgeguarding anymore, what else do we have from the ledge? If the opponent comes in low and goes for a tether we have practically nothing to stop it.

So where is this 'extreme potency' coming from? because I would really love to hear it as it seems like it would add to my bowser game a lot.

Welcome to ledge play?.
Ok so when can I expect to see Ganon's side-b getting nerfed to add more finesse? 3.001?

Frost | Odds

To be honest I'm not really seeing why bowser's ledge game is 'extremely potent'...
Your problem.

You have his getup attack which is nice but is VERY EASILY shield-grabable
No moreso than any other ledge attack in the game- it's by far the best.

You have his side-B which is easy to not be in the range for and then get punished as you can't L-cancel it. So his ledge-to-stage game is, if anything, average.
You have the single best ledge attack in the game, a handful of very strong aerials (including one which sends people at a lethal trajectory) *and* an extremely strong, long range command grab which doubles as a KO move, combo starter, kill move, and kamikaze move. If this is an 'average' ledge game in your opinion, I'm terrified of what a 'good' ledgegame would be.

Then we come to his ledgeguard game, you just nerfed his bair ridiculously so that isn't as good at edgeguarding anymore, what else do we have from the ledge?
Bair is still one of the best ledgeguard attacks in P:M or melee. You have flamebreath to gimp opponents coming up diagonally. You have an insane forward and side tilt. You have a completely incredible ledge attack that can hit people away from the stage while you're invincible. You have an fsmash that spells an instant kill if your opponent does not perfectly sweetspot. You have a downsmash that sucks in opponents who aim for the stage, and does insane amounts of damage. You have an incredible forward air that can frequently just smack offstage people in the face, right into the blast zone. You have a super jump via down b to make it incredibly difficult for anyone to come in high and avoid the aforementioned fair. Your down b itself kills recovering floaties at very low percents, has super armor, and has no lag behind it if you grab the ledge. You can also cancel this down b into an up air, killing those same floaties at even *lower* percents if they recover high. You have an incredibly fast and easy ledgegrab from stage via up-b, even if you're facing away from the stage. You can ledge hog and use your insane command grab to pick up the guy who just landed on the stage, and toss him right the hell back off.

Are you seriously that concerned about PM bowser's ledge game?

If the opponent comes in low and goes for a tether we have practically nothing to stop it.
Grab the ledge, use your ledge attack as soon as he pulls himself up from tether. I think you can also drop off the side and forward air him into the stage to spike him off of it under some circumstances, but I haven't played with that much.

Jacob29

Smash Ace
Bowser can cover 100% of forced tether reel options with fair alone. In fact he was able to before the tether nerf in 3.0.

Does the invul not save them?

also what about ZSS? her ledge jump is really quite far

Frost | Odds

Bowser can cover 100% of forced tether reel options with fair alone. In fact he was able to before the tether nerf in 3.0.

Whoa, really? I thought tether chars could come in too low to do this reliably. Do you mean jumping out and fairing, mainly, or reverse fair into stage?

Chaos_Blasta

Smash Journeyman
I think a more appropriate fix would be to slow fortress's horizontal speed or lower the distance it can travel as opposed to make him be able to suicide. I think overall it sounds like you guys (The Bowsers) would prefer that.. I probably would too with how simple fortress is. At least a shorter distanced (easy) fortresshog with low probability of suicide would be better than losing a whole stock ;).
Every other move that you can suicide with on the ledge tends to have an alternative mobility choice that doesn't make sense to make easier.
Exactly. If speed OR distance was decreased so that Bowser would simply be unable to get to the ledge in the ways he already can in PM, that would be an interesting nerf that doesn't really clash with how a mechanic is inputted or how it fits into Bowser's playstyle. These are the kind of changes we need if we want to take a look at truly balancing Bowser.

Chaos_Blasta

Smash Journeyman
Whoa, really? I thought tether chars could come in too low to do this reliably. Do you mean jumping out and fairing, mainly, or reverse fair into stage?
Tether chars are forced to autojump into the stage if someone is already holding the ledge, with quite a bit of frames in where they cannot act. Very easy to punish.

Frost | Odds

Tether chars are forced to autojump into the stage if someone is already holding the ledge, with quite a bit of frames in where they cannot act. Very easy to punish.

Ah, thanks. I knew that, but figured he meant you could *kill* tether chars with fairs 100% of the time.

Exactly. If speed OR distance was decreased so that Bowser would simply be unable to get to the ledge in the ways he already can in PM, that would be an interesting nerf that doesn't really clash with how a mechanic is inputted or how it fits into Bowser's playstyle. These are the kind of changes we need if we want to take a look at truly balancing Bowser.
That would be awful. If either of those were nerfed enough that it affected Bowser's ledge game, it would be almost impossible to up-B unpunished.

Chaos_Blasta

Smash Journeyman
I don't think it's so impossible to take a look at nerfing or modifying some of Bowser's Up B properties so that it wasn't so horrendously safe all the time. This would be one of them. I'm not talking "move only one character length"-kind of distance buff, but perhaps something so that he wouldn't be able to grab the ledge all the time on small stages. Just maybe.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Except making the ledge-snap more difficult to do does change the technique itself. It makes it so you have to approach the ledge at a lower speed, requiring more dedication to get the auto-snap.

It's an extremely potent ability that now requires more finesse.
"More finesse" doesn't really do the change justice; it has to actually be slower and now has a huge risk involved. Mess up and you lose a stock. Because you have less time to do it, its less useful. The technique itself is "up+b to the ledge", it hasn't changed. Just the results of the technique. It'd be like adding 5 frames of lag to Fox's shine. The technique is still the same, you just changed the variables.

Situations this up+b to the ledge can occur:

1. Near ledge, up+b on shielded opponent and retreat towards the ledge

This one is now basically gone, as Bowser can no longer actively pressure the opponent with threat of a getup attack or a drop-jump to flame. It's too slow an action and was already an obvious one; now the opponent has ample time to retreat. It's totally removed this aspect from his game as a potent pressure environment for Bowser, one of the four situations that Bowser can exert serious pressure (the four being with an opponent above him with no jump, the opponent recovering to the stage, the opponent teching with Bowser near him, and Bowser locking them in shield stun then grabbing the ledge). Since Bowser has no reliable way to force a tech chase (d-throw sometimes depending on character and % and position, sometimes with the new nair, both pretty specific but are the most common; maybe u-smash 2nd hit against spacies) and no way for force an opponent above him with no jump, Bowser has typically stayed near the edge to exert pressure. He retreats to the ledge repeatedly in an attempt to force the opponent to fight near the ledge. This gives him an advantage as now his opponent can be forced off stage easily in which he can exert more pressure via his strong edgeguarding game.

This is because players have to accept their character's weaknesses. Bowser's weaknesses are pretty obvious, but once you stop focusing on his weaknesses and instead focus on his strengths you realize "oh, I can stay near the ledge and retreat to it a lot to abuse his strengths".

The recent change essentially neutered his strength near the ledge by slowing it down.

2. Near ledge, up+b to ledgehog up+bing opponent

This is completely gone unless the opponent is far enough away to give you enough time to time it. The last-second edgehog of Bowser that can make an opponent panic and up+b early is gone. Watch some Bowser videos, you'll see Bowsers occasionally just stand near the ledge doing nothing, then suddenly up+b to the ledge and cause their opponent to up-b early, in which case the Bowser will jump and bair/koopa klaw.
3. Near ledge, up+b to ledgehog with opponent far away (on stage / off stage, same situation)
No real change as noted above.

As for the rest, it seems like you're just commenting on several attributes of the move and calling it bad design.

Describes just about every character-specific tech. The input is all done by the performing player. I'd argue that an AT that doesn't punish the player for screwing up is bad design, because you have no reason not to try.

It is bad design. If someone told you "Hey man, Falco's dair to shine is way too strong" you wouldn't say "falco now needs to press the jump button twice to get out of shine" because that isn't changing the technique itself, it's simply changing the input.

Bowser's up+b to the ledge is still there. It's been neutered effectively for on-shield opponents when on stage, but that hasn't been brought up once as a reason by anyone and I'd bet bottom dollar it wasn't the reason for the change. If Bowser's up+b to the ledge is too strong then you left something too strong in the game.

It's like the age-old Quake II design flaw. People found that camping the room with the armor was the best possible strategy. Get full armor, then stand on top of the strongest armor and wait for your opponent so you automatically heal. The response from people running the deathmatch servers? "anti camping measures". If you stand in the same spot for more than 3 minutes, your character suicides. New best strategy was stand on the armor for 2 minutes and 59 seconds or as close as you could get, dance around, then come back to the original position for 2 minutes and 59 seconds again.

If you wanted to really "change the design" you could make it to where Bowser's up+b didn't have him go into freefall. This would be a huge change to Bowser's design and would eliminate the ledgehog, but would open other doors. He could up+b off stage as an aggressive edgeguard, then jump back to the ledge with a fair, or up+b off the stage like a DK dash attack and then jump and bair or suicide dair a recovering opponent. All sorts of new options because the technique itself has changed.

You could have his up+b alternate between "long" and "short" up+bs, so that Bowser can't just spam it and still have his ledgehog ability enabled.

I wouldn't recommend either of those ideas (they're bad ones), but they'd change the technique. Currently you've just changed Bowser's "up+b and hold toward ledge" to "up+b and hold towards ledge, then away from ledge at the last second".

As for "AT should punish the player for screwing up", I just have a big old bowl of "wat" sitting in front of me on that. I have no idea what you're smoking if you think that's good design. I'd suggest reading some of the recent literature. No one thinks Fox should die for missing a waveshine or that Marth should die from wavedashing off the stage to the ledge, I don't know why Bowser's version of wavedashing to the ledge should be any different.

Welcome to ledge play?
What?

What other character has a chance of dying by simply trying to grab the ledge? Maybe sheik if she tried some crazy up+b off the stage gimmick, but that is actually way slower than a needle reverse, waveland, or wavedash off stage. Or just jumping off stage.

It's no more "mandatory" than many other character abilities.
Okay, go make a build where Fox's shine has 3 frames of startup lag and play a few games with him.

I really don't think you understand what I mean by "Bowser's design", so let me try to clear it up:

When you play as a character that is always punished when he hits someones shield, this character then attempts to not hit someone's shield. Now imagine this character is incredibly fast and mobile and has a projectile, designed around the idea of forcing the opponent's hand and punishing his lag.

That character is designed around the idea of making the opponent whiff and not directly approaching a grounded character.

The ICs are a very one-dimensional character. They can lose easily by getting separated because their strongest aspect (at least in Melee/Brawl) was their ability to do extreme grab combos.

That character is designed around getting grabs.

If you see that ICs are getting grabs consistently by desyncing and using blizzard to stun the opponent, you can make a note that is is integral to the character's design. If you then decided to change their u-air to be a hammer toss that hits high up, you have made an indirect change to their design. It opens new options, but doesn't close any doors.

Bowser's design, as stated earlier, is all about ledge play and, more specifically, edgeguarding. When you make large changes that affect that aspect of his game, you are changing the core of his character. The flamebreath change was a minor change that simply weakened an aspect of his game that didn't necessarily need to be that strong. The nair change enhanced some of his on-stage presence while forcing him to space correctly with his fair (those two together really were an awesome change, otherwise people might have just used nair instead of fair for guaranteed knockback), but it wasn't directly related to his edgeguarding or ledge game.

That's what I mean when it is integral to Bowser's design.

Fox's fair is not integral to his design. His waveshine is.

Falco's u-air is not integral to his design. His laser is.

Peach's over-b is not integral to her design. Her turnips and float are.

That is what I mean by integral to Bowser's design. Bowser's up+b snap to ledge is just as mandatory as Fox's waveshine, Falco's laser, or Peach's float. Imagine shortening Fox's waveshine, or removing the stun from Falco's laser, or halving the length of Peach's float or removing float canceling, and you're starting to be on the same wavelength.

Out of curiosity, does anyone there play Bowser competitively?

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Me. I've yet to go farther than locals though, and I'm going to be missing out on the first big 3.0 tourney in MO on Saturday because I don't have the money for it, so it'll be at least a month before I can decide whether or not I'm still going to use Bowser.

Frost | Odds

Only locals and regionals so far. I'm probably (not certainly; my knowledge of the other provinces' scenes is limited) the best active Melee bowser in Canada (which isn't saying much tbh), but my PM boozer needs some work.

The recent change essentially neutered his strength near the ledge by slowing it down.
I thought that was the entire point. "Neutered" is a huge exaggeration, though.

No one thinks .. Marth should die from wavedashing off the stage to the ledge,
But he does if he messes up badly enough.

What other character has a chance of dying by simply trying to grab the ledge?
Everyone if they're trying to sweetspot it. Notably: spacies, sheik, mewtwo, zelda, pikachu, diddy. I probably missed a few.

That is what I mean by integral to Bowser's design. Bowser's up+b snap to ledge is just as mandatory as Fox's waveshine, Falco's laser, or Peach's float. Imagine shortening Fox's waveshine, or removing the stun from Falco's laser, or halving the length of Peach's float or removing float canceling, and you're starting to be on the same wavelength.
You're way overreacting. Fortresshogging was strong in melee, and it's just as strong now.

ATs almost necessarily have a risk/reward element associated with their difficulty. Bowser is one of the easiest characters to play effectively even with the change.

Did you ever play Melee bowser?

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
I think Overswarm was asking if anyone in the PMBR played Bowser competitively, maybe?
Oh, yeah that makes more sense, I know cmart does just from watching S@X. I think Strong Bad has been known to use Bowser as well, but I think his Mario, Wario, DK, and Ike are all probably better.

Scarflame

Smash Rookie
Dear PMBR:

3.0 Bowser is terrible in several aspects.

First off, i would like to start with: why did Bowser have to get such degrading, humilliating nerfs? Wasn't the general concensus that Bowser was a low tier, or that atleast he wasn't very good in competitive, high-level play in the first place? Why does the PMBR, or whoever was in charge of Bowser's design, feel it's proper to change the mechanics and gameplay of a character that dedicated players have spent more than a year and a half using?

Worst change of them all: Fortress hogging. I've heard arguments that it was too easy, or that it was spammed too much that certain players, or that it should require some level of finesse, but nothing has convinced me of why such a basic, integral mechanic to bowser's gameplay had to be changed to be harder for Bowser mains, to the point in where one actually has increased time to get the ledge due to the slight speed drops needed near the ledge to be able to snap it. I don't think "Needs some finesse" applies in comparison ot techniques like moonwalking, l cancelling or wavedashing when the punishment for getting it wrong is completely losing a stock.

Then, a little less important but still disheartening, are Bair and Nair's nerfs. Bair lost a lot of utility both onstage and offstage due to the much larger IASA frames, to the point in where it's not really viable to use it onstage anymore since you need to always l-cancel it, and offstage because the timing to get out a bair and still get back onstage is ridiculously strict, not to mention that it hardly covers the things it did before this way. Nair having reduced knockback is quite annoying, as it makes most early-percent combos much harder to execute due to the reduced hitstun the opponent suffers.

For ending notes, I also heard that Up B didn't lose its invencibility frames, but the reduced hitboxes on grounded Whirling Fortress really seems to affects the kind of attacks that bowser can get through on its very startup. Particularly, and to give an example, something i do often is Up B into Spacies' own Up Bs while they recover, then ledgegrab jump bair, which was always safe due to up b's previous mechanics. Now, it seems it always trades the hit, which is quite frustrating. And although Fair got a change that was positive for Bowser, it seems pretty redundant given how Bowser's Fair was already a very solid move, so a power increase/decrease balance seemed hardly neccesary.

In conclusion, I think that virtually every Bowser change does nothing to genuinely balance Bowser, and instead, It is of my belief that these particular changes help in no way but to slap dedicated bowser players in the face. If one wishes to reduce this post to a nutshell and just call it "salt", then so be it. I'm not gonna drop Bowser anytime soon, but i sure would like to see some of those changes reverted. A single voice doesn't count for much, i suppose, but i want to express these opinions.

Best regards:

-Jorge

P.S: #BuffBowser
I agree 100 percent, I used to love bowser because while he is kind of hard to use at first, he is very rewarding later on, especially when you can edgeguard successfully... Now I'm almost to afraid to grab the ledge because if I mess up (which I would during a tournament match) I lose a freaking stock...

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I thought that was the entire point. "Neutered" is a huge exaggeration, though.
Uh, no.

cmart said:
I'm going to be honest. Fortress hogging in Project M has been a piss-easy, fraudulent "AT" for forever, and was never a good design choice.
cmart said:
While Bowser mains might like to believe they are playing a low-tier hero who wins against better odds, the reality is that Bowser is mostly disdained as an easy-to-play character that you don't have to practice to excel with. This is ignoring the mental effort that goes into Bowser's macro game, but when it comes to executing with Bowser, it's difficult to put up a defense.
cmart said:
no one likes putting in a lot of work to outplay the other guy, and then losing a stock cuz they ****ed up once
cmart said:
So we opted for smaller changes, designed to target rewarding precise and proper execution over sloppy play
cmart said:
But he won't be able to get away with as much sloppy fair spacing, or live from haphazard bairs offstage or autopiloting a fortress at a ledge.
Their entire point was implementing artificial barriers to make Bowser more difficult to play. Cmart's got a scrub mentality. They didn't intend to actually weaken it.

cmart said:
Bowser can do almost all the same things previous Bowser can, and he's still rewarded greatly for it
They just meant to make it harder.

Which is even worse, really. In every Game Design book or "game design 101" lecture on the basic elements of game design they always tell you about the dangers of overcomplicating input and how it turned popular games into niche games (see: Fighters).

But they did weaken his ledge game without actually adding anything to it, specifically for the reasons above. It's pretty scrubby. "Bowser's an easy-to-play character you don't have to practice to excel with" is about the biggest bunch of malarky in the world. He's a noob destroyer and not even good. Most people just suck at PM. It's like early Melee's sheik, people still play their 'favorite character' and they don't realize that their favorite character might be bad or have bad matchups. Peach was good at Melee, but fat chance she'll beat a good Bowser.

But he does if he messes up badly enough.
You're referring to air dodging completely horizontally off the stage? That's about as common as Bowser holding down while fortressing, which would kill him.

Everyone if they're trying to sweetspot it. Notably: spacies, sheik, mewtwo, zelda, pikachu, diddy. I probably missed a few.
Stay on topic, we're talking about from the stage.

You're way overreacting. Fortresshogging was strong in melee, and it's just as strong now.
There's possibly two Bowser's that have more experience than I do with the character that could disagree with me and make me go double check my tests, but you are not one of them. Fortressing to the ledge in Melee wasn't strong it was all Bowser had other than his edgeguarding. In PM he has quite a bit more, but he has retained nearly all his weaknesses from Melee that make him stay near the ledge but they've weakened his presence there.

ATs almost necessarily have a risk/reward element associated with their difficulty. Bowser is one of the easiest characters to play effectively even with the change.
Yeah, against noobs. Any Melee player with a 3 minute discussion on what Bowser can do could pick up Captain Falcon and 4 stock the majority of Bowser players in the US no problem. Bowser is simple to execute in that he doesn't require a ton of flashy button presses like Roy. That doesn't make Bowser easy to play because no matter who Bowser is playing against, they're essentially the Ice Climbers in that once you get grabbed you're either escaping to the ledge or you've gotten yourself a lost stock.

Did you ever play Melee bowser?

Yes? He sucked. Was fun beating spacies with him, but he sucked.

Chaos_Blasta

Smash Journeyman
I think Bowser's execution level can be divine in P:M.

Other than myself (And that will surely sound egotist), i think that Kirk is the only Bowser player that operates P:M Bowser to his fullest, and it's something that really shows in any of his vids. The kind of precise, fast and efficient movement you can perform at any given time with Bowser is something you truly have to master, and sets aside from the idea that bowser is a dull, monotonous char that is very easy to perform efficiently with.

Just wanted to make that clear since a lot of people seem to have that idea of Bowser.

Kirk

Smash Champion
Definitely a lot of interesting discussion here...

I have not had a chance to try out 3.0 yet, but I am a bit wary on more than a few things...but I cant give input since I havent tried it out for myself yet.

Another point of discussion...how do the new shield mechanics and stage changes affect us? Are they super noticeable or just minor changes? Raised ceilings and increased shield health(i think) would make bowser super sad...

shanus

Smash Hero
@kirk, we compensated the shield damage he did to account for the increase in shield hp.

also this thread is full of way too much tldr. If you want to make a point, being concise is advised

Top Bottom