• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman
K. Rool looks amazing in action, helps that the dude playing him really seemed to know what he was doing

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I was so hoping it would be K Rool in English after I heard the "King Cruel"

Just like the Dee Dee Dee Day Day Day situation

Last edited:

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
Seeing footage of K. Rool just put this big goofy grin on my face. His Victory animation, his unique victory theme, that SICK kill where he launched Snake into the Kannonball, it's all just so good!

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The way they animated him is perfect, he's so lively and quirky in pretty much all of his movements. His N-Air is also hilarious.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Not going to lie, when I saw this.

I was like:

"PLEASE STOP, THIS MAN HAVE A FAMILY"

Also, here is a gif of his victory animation.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
K. Rools moveset reminds me faintly of Dedede, though, it's probably just the near identical nAir.
Still, I think he'll feel very intuitive to play for me. I love heavy characters so much. Nimble combo characters just don't cut the mustard.

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
Glad we got some footage and that it was already here for us to talk about. Looks amazing only had a quick look on my phone but it's looking like he could be heavier than bowser. Wasn't moving an inch until well over 100% and against another heavy character.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
Oy Kutthroats!

Also :ultgreninja:'D.
Here we go, moveset analysis:

- Backthrow (0:12) - 11,5% damage, that's a lot!

- Side-B (0:15) - The returning crown deals a bit more than 6% damage. After 15 seconds the crown despawns and then reappears on KKR's head again.

- Back-Air (0:18) – Startup seems a little bit slow, but the hitbox is big and the damage output is really good, 20% damage!

- Neutral-B (0:30) – The canon can be angled diagonally. The canonball itself is quite slow and thus can lead to some insane combos: At 0:33 the canonball in the far distance deals 18% damage, more than twice as much as at 0:31. Maybe the damage of the canonball is dependent on how long it was already flying in the air (the longer in the air, the more damage). Furthermore the pirate hat appears while using the cannon and thus is not an alternative skin.

- Forward-Air (0:33) - The Forward-air looks similar to Bowsers Back-Air . It deals around 15% damage. If interrupted, the Forward-Air only deals 10% (0:47). The knockback seem to be quite good, Forward-Air might be a good kill option at higher percents.

- Pivot-Grab (0:44) - The Pivot-Grab range ist huge, just look at this, that's so great!

- Up-Throw (0:45) – KKR's Upthrow is insane, 16,8% (!) damage – this might be one of the strongest throws in the game. Furthermore it has similar properties to the Up-Throws of Kirby, Metaknight and Glurak Charizard, although the knockback doesn't look quite as strong. Nevertheless, on stages with high platforms like Town & City or Duckhunt this throw might be a kill option.

- Neutral-Air (0:48) – Neutral-Air looks very similar to Dedede's Nair, thats great: Fast, not a lot of landing lag and good for combos. Hopefull this will also be an option to escape if being comboed.

- Jab (0:59) - KKR's Jab is quite slow, and consists only of two punches – but I guess the damage will be very good (unfortunately we can't tell from the video).

- Ultrasmash (1:25) - The Ultrasmash deals 45% damage and is definitely one of the better Ultrasmashes in the game (+ the Donkey Kong 64 throwback is great)!

- New victory jingle (1:39) - King K. Rool gets his own victory-music: the first 12 notes of his Gang-Plank Galleon musictrack.

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
K. Rool looks like a lot of fun from that new gameplay trailer, especially with the neat stuff you could do with the Cannonballs. Also nice they gave him his own little victory jingle to set him apart from the Kongs. Either way, looking forward to playing as him.

NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092
If you told me at the start of the year that K. Rool was in Smash and he has a direct reference to Donkey Kong Land for the Gameboy in his moveset, I would have called you krazy.

This is amazing. Seeing him fully in action really made me feel like it was the direct all over again. Just when I thought it was normal that he was in Smash i'm doubting myself that this is even real.

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
- Up-Throw (0:45) – KKR's Upthrow is insane, 16,8% (!) damage – this might be one of the strongest throws in the game. Furthermore it has similar properties to the Up-Throws of Kirby, Metaknight and Glurak, although the knockback doesn't look quite as strong. Nevertheless, on stages with high platforms like Town & City or Duckhunt this throw might be a kill option.
Reminds me of Zard's seismic toss up throw. Hopefully it can kill like Zard's.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Ah man, he looks amazing. I’m glad we got some gameplay footage, but the more I see, the harder the wait becomes...

I NEED THIS GAME NOW ARGHH

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Wow, i am blown away by K Rool. The fact that the crown acts like an items is very interesting, maybe allowing for some z drop shenanigans.
Blunderbuss is still hard to decipher, it’s not clear if you have to commit to the sucking or not.

Maybe some Crown-to-Suck combos are a fun and hype possibility.

Bair looks absolutely devastating, but slow. Opponents really need to watch out for it off stage I assume.

Also, did we see the up or down air? Was hard to tell for me, but perhaps we have a stomp (spike pls!?) on him, too...

So yeah, seems like the website wasn’t kidding by calling him a versatile fighter. I mean you never really know what K Rool can go for, next

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
This. Was. Beautiful. This was exactly what I had in mind for the character to look, feel, and play like.
takemymoney.jpg

Untouch

Smash Master
The only problem with this footage is that we never saw him recover, so we still don't know if upB has a hitbox or can be acted out of.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Best part is that there are still aspects of the moveset to be seen, we haven't seen all that the king has to offer yet.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Oy Kutthroats!

Also :ultgreninja:'D.
Ohhhhhhhh, this has me really excited to play this guy. Neutral air looks good with nice range and being seemingly easy to throw out. I like the confirmation that K. Rool's crown is an item, though I'm curious to know if K. Rool just puts it back on when he grabs it or if he is indeed allowed to z drop his own crown. The vacuum after the canon ball makes the vaccum seemingly less viable, though I like that the cannonball can be angled, and it seems like a fast projectile. K. Rool's up air whiffed, but I'm curious what the framedata on that looks like.

Untouch

Smash Master
Also confirmation that that laughing animation isn't his dair but is his entrance animation.

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
You know how relieving it is to even hear the announcer say King K. Rools name on screen? The hype is killing me!!!!!!!! Plus he moves a lot faster than I excepted. Just by looking at his moves, his crown throw is going to be very useful. People will shield or spot dodge and you can easily go in for a grab or attack right after they spot dodge. I need this game!

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Not going to lie, when I saw this.

I was like:

"PLEASE STOP, THIS MAN HAVE A FAMILY"

Also, here is a gif of his victory animation.
K Rool took Snake away from his family and made sure he’d never be heard of again...and that point is perfect

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Guys, is it weird that I can’t stop watching his reveal trailer over and over again?

Btw, loving that gameplay footage at last.

Paint_B

Smash Cadet
He looks beautiful in play. Very characteristic and not boring to watch (like Bayonetta, cough cough.)

He looks balanced with his size and fast speed, nice projectiles and range. And his throws are just amazing.

Can't wait to learn the way of the Croc.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
NoJ sharing game play for K. Rool makes me smile they know what we want to see... the GG fanfare is beautiful so much love went into the King. I cant wait to play him, I finally get my slot 2 main I've been waiting for since Smash 64.. Yoshi, K. Rool, and hopefully if I'm really lucky Banjo to round out my 3.

K. Rool looks really fast.. I know Ult. Is faster but K. Rool just seems REALLY fast. I'm not complaining I'm just excited.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
He looks amazing!!! Can't wait to play this game.... (sucks when he is KO'd he doesn't make the "OOF" sound) Damn. Was hoping he'd get that like Megaman got his unique death animation. K. Rools would have just been a sound, but I still am psyched.

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
Aaaand with that, it has officially sunk in for me that King K. Rool is in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Seeing an actual gameplay match seemed to solidify it for good.

Also he looks incredibly good for a heavyweight, I look forward to seeing what kind of setups people can make out of the cannonball and crown attacks, and seeing what's left of his moveset.

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
What the hell with that cannonball combo, man. That's a combo most projectile characters could only dream of. Yet here comes King K. Rool with only two projectiles and one of them happens to be one of the best in the game.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Man, from his reveal I thought K. Rool's projectile game looked like it would be really weak, but this certainly helped prove me wrong.

Comboing into the Blunderbuss ball, using the crown as a means to cover Snake's getup from ledge, that's some pretty good stuff.

Last edited:

Handy Man

Smash Ace
I found an updated version of the Gangplank Galleon remix, utilizing the new music from the gameplay footage uploaded today:

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
YO THE CANNONBALL COMBOS THO!

He seems really fast and strong with really good projectile game! his biggest weakness seems to follow the footsteps of melee Bowser however, not many escape options, being incredibly large (he looks to be even larger than ridley) and being really heavy at the same time, thus a huge punching bag. nevertheless i am maining this guy!

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
He looks awesome, but one thing I've noticed is I haven't seen him cancel his blunderbuss after firing the cannonball. If he can't cancel the sucking animation that'd be pretty rough. And I haven't seen the cannonball be shot at any other angle after he sucks it in.

Last edited:

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
Dang, K. Rool is looking pretty darn good for a heavyweight type character. He looks really fun to play as. So far out of the entire playable cast he's seems to be the most likely to end up as one of my mains.

Oh boy, imagine team matches with K. Rool. That Blunderbuss could lead into some great moments...

Top Bottom