• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

Paint_B

Smash Cadet
I remember the reveal of Bayo and Corrin... I was so disappointed it wasn't King K. Rool.

I was so mad I didn't bother buying them! I am not a fan of FE or the Bayo series so I didn't want to waste my money. I bought the K. Rool mii costume instead!

Loyality to the King!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The more I hear the new Gangplank Galleon remix the more I like it. I wasn't sure about it at first

I want the full thing now

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
The Mario and Zelda franchises alone have several unique, interesting, and beloved villain characters, but you never see them after their initial appearance. Because Nintendo values accessibility above all else, they don't want people to get confused when they play a new game and go "Who's this character? What's going on?" because they didn't play a specific previous game. They may put references and callbacks in their games, but you'll never see Skull Kid/Majora's Mask or Zant appear in another Zelda game, for example.
I can't speak for the Mario series, but for Zelda, it wouldn't even be that hard. Every Zelda game acts as a story for a new Link, with each game acting as kind of a jumping on point where we get cursory introductions for Link, Ganon, and Zelda, with Ganon's introduction usually being "He is the demon king of evil who has tormented Hyrule for countless generations.". You could literally throw the same explanation on a game that re-introduces Skull Kid, or Zant, or Ghirahim.

StormC

Smash Hero
Oh yeah, they're definitely also added because they're beloved characters from great franchises. What I'm saying is that Nintendo seems to have underestimated how beloved their villains are if they're not Bowser or Ganon.

The Mario and Zelda franchises alone have several unique, interesting, and beloved villain characters, but you never see them after their initial appearance. Because Nintendo values accessibility above all else, they don't want people to get confused when they play a new game and go "Who's this character? What's going on?" because they didn't play a specific previous game. They may put references and callbacks in their games, but you'll never see Skull Kid/Majora's Mask or Zant appear in another Zelda game, for example.

Which I guess is part of why King K. Rool was blacklisted for a while. The last game he had a major appearance in was on the Nintendo 64 or something, right? So Nintendo thinks that's too long ago, and that he's not as well-known as the protagonists, so they exclude him from future games. It's not until people are pounding at the gates for him to come back that they realize they were wrong.
I mean, considering Ganondorf hasn't appeared in a new mainline game since 2006... I don't think he's gone forever exactly. K. Rool seems to have come down more to disagreements about the character on a fundamental level than his absences.

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
I never really thought about it but I guess Nintendo might underestimate how invested fans can get in a good antagonist. And Smash newcomer favorites reflect that investment, with Ridley and K. Rool being huge for years, plus characters like Dark Samus, Sylux, Ghirahim, Skull Kid, Magolor, Marx, etc. etc. etc. as well as the call for Wolf to return after he was cut.
Would be fun if the whole "heroes vs villains" theme of K. Rool's trailer (and Simon's, kinda) turns out to be an actual part of the game as a whole and we see a few non-main antagonists as bosses. Would be wild to face down Wart as Bowser or something.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Darn, now I'm a little bit disappointed. Somebody a few pages back said that clearing your cache would make Simon and K. Rool's profiles appear on the character forums page. No dice. :/

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I remember the reveal of Bayo and Corrin... I was so disappointed it wasn't King K. Rool.

I was so mad I didn't bother buying them! I am not a fan of FE or the Bayo series so I didn't want to waste my money. I bought the K. Rool mii costume instead!

Loyality to the King!
Voting with your wallet is always a sound decision.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I bought the characters recently but during the cycle when Smash 4 was relevant I didn't buy them

I didn't realize how much DLC I missed though. There were costumes and stages released after the point I bought my last bit of DLC

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Darn, now I'm a little bit disappointed. Somebody a few pages back said that clearing your cache would make Simon and K. Rool's profiles appear on the character forums page. No dice. :/
I think they were referring to the emoticons you can put in your posts:

:ultkrool::ultsimon:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Know what I realised what this world needs? A remix of Interior, Crocodile, Aligator with K.Rool's running animation.

We absolutely need this to excist, please understand.

For those who don't know what am talking about:

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Not since Sonic in Brawl have I been this giddy over a character's inclusion.
It's been over a week since K. Rool was revealed to the world and I constantly have to remind myself that this is real. I no longer have K. Rool in my signature of Smash wishes. I no longer can find K. Rool in the Newcomer Speculation thread. I no longer have to worry about the King not making the cut. K. Rool isn't a dream anymore. This is real and the amazing thing is K. Rool wouldn't have happened without you guys.
What floors me about K. Rool isn't the fact that he came back from the dead, but it's the fact that he looks so good. After being gone for so long, it's easy to have been pessimistic that Sakurai wouldn't have known how to properly represent him, but he's went far and beyond anyone's expectations and has created the perfect look and moveset fitting for the King. Whether it's the Crown Throw from DKC1, the Blunderbuss and Kaptain's hat from DKC2, the Helipak from DKC3, the bellyflop from Land, or the boxing gloves from DK64, every bit of K. Rool's moveset has been done with love and care to the point that I can't really imagine a better way to represent the Kremling King. Heck, even the counter of all things might be a reference to Klump from DK64.
150px-DK64_Klump.png

If I was nerding out over K. Rool's moveset during the reveal trailer, though, then I jumped for joy when I saw the Blast-O-Matic from DK64 as his Final Smash.
Having grown up on DK64 and playing through it again on the Wii U VC, there's a lot of things you can say about the game, but I think the one thing DK64 absolutely nailed was its portrayal of K. Rool. We may have seen hints of K. Rool's personality in the SNES trilogy, but DK64 went all in on making K. Rool this memorable villain. Whether it was his deep voice in the beginning, his evil laugh, or his interactions with his minions, we truly got a look inside the mind of K. Rool and his personality and as a result, K. Rool stuck with me as a kid.
That's why I was so happy to see the Blast-O-Matic make an appearance again. The Game Over screen was really impactful on my gaming childhood and given that DK64 has been prone to being ignored for all these years, I'm ecstatic that Sakurai remembers the game for giving us K. Rool's villainous act.
I know I wasn't very active on the K. Rool thread, but you guys have been in my heart since April 2014. I've wanted K. Rool since before my time here on Smashboards. I may be known as the Rayman guy, but K. Rool has always been a character that I wanted to see. In fact, he was EASILY my most wanted character for the longest time. Since Sonic was put in Brawl, there hasn't been a reveal that has made me pump out my fists in joy, but K. Rool did just that. It's the end of an era (this long 10 year absence), but it's also the beginning of K. Rool's Renaissance and it was all because of you guys that a part of my childhood is coming back.
You guys really proved to everyone that King K. Rool is a special character and evidently, Sakurai agrees. Thank you so much, congratulations on your victory, and see you in December!

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I'm so glad that Super Smash Bros Ultimate seems to be going after fan favorites over relevancy..this is the first Smash Bros. to really do that for the most part, since most previous newcomers were relevant in the past 4 years in some fashion. Out of all the newcomers, none except Inklings were really relevant when Ultimate began development.
True, but I hope Sakurai doesn't completely abandon the relevancy factor. My 2nd most wanted newcomer solely falls into that category.

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
I hope there are great action figures for the next DK game released, especially if K Rool is with them! Other older Kong’s like Lanky as well!

Vycoul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vycoul
Guys, I have been wondering. Let me ask you all a thing: If K. Rool were to be low or not-so-high tier or whatever in this game, will you still main him?
I can work with bad characters, Shulk was my secondary after all. And being a heavy character, (we can safely assume) I'm already prepared for K. Rool to be less than stellar. But throughout Smash games, most of the rock bottom worst characters have felt too frustrating for me to play very often.

In Smash 4 Dedede was one of those characters. I'm a little worried because I can see K. Rool and Dedede ending up balanced similarly. Both are heavy characters with a projectile. (K. Rool has two)
I'm absolutely going to give learning K. Rool my best effort though.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I can work with bad characters, Shulk was my secondary after all. And being a heavy character, (we can safely assume) I'm already prepared for K. Rool to be less than stellar. But throughout Smash games, most of the rock bottom worst characters have felt too frustrating for me to play very often.

In Smash 4 Dedede was one of those characters. I'm a little worried because I can see K. Rool and Dedede ending up balanced similarly. Both are heavy characters with a projectile. (K. Rool has two)
I'm absolutely going to give learning K. Rool my best effort though.
Dedede has a giant hammer and multiple jumps. K. Rool doesn't. Being a "brawler" with his normals probably means better frame data on average (Dedede's biggest downfall), and it certainly looks that way from what we can see of his trailers, especially startup. It's mainly his reach that seems suspect now that I think about it, but of course he has two projectiles to mitigate this. Special mention goes to that burying tilt (my money's on it being his ftilt, due to the lack of crouching), which looks to be the fastest burying option in the game outside of items.

Also now that I think about it, if K.Rool throws his krown backwards and moves, how well will it track his movement, if at all?

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I gotta say the overwhelming amount of K.Rool fanart that I have seen really warms my heart. He finally feels like he is a legit part of the Nintendo family as I and many others here always have felt especially after all of these years of being forgotten about by Nintendo. When you see amazing pieces like the picture above or K.Rool hanging out with Pearl from Splatoon 2 or an amazing recreation piece of the moment in the trailer when Pikachu, Inkling, and Ness are jumping on K.Rool. Not to mention the Ridley/K.Rool "bros" art pieces. Ugh it's all SOOO good! Makes me wish I had some artistic talents..

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
It's always disappointed me how little fanart there was of K. Rool. I said way earlier in the thread that I hoped that would change with his reveal and man am I happy that was the case. I hope this never stops.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I gotta say the overwhelming amount of K.Rool fanart that I have seen really warms my heart. He finally feels like he is a legit part of the Nintendo family as I and many others here always have felt especially after all of these years of being forgotten about by Nintendo. When you see amazing pieces like the picture above or K.Rool hanging out with Pearl from Splatoon 2 or an amazing recreation piece of the moment in the trailer when Pikachu, Inkling, and Ness are jumping on K.Rool. Not to mention the Ridley/K.Rool "bros" art pieces. Ugh it's all SOOO good! Makes me wish I had some artistic talents..
Same for me and Dark Samus. There's a severe lack of good Dark Samus fanart out there, because her appearances were in 2004 and 2007, before the internet was as insanely popular as it is now, and before uploading art online was an easy process. But since the Direct last week, you go onto Twitter or other sites and there's more great fanart in the past 10 days than there has been in the past 10 years.

Seeing these characters be brought back into the spotlight after being effectively dead for over a decade is amazing.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
With the King in i’m still hoping for Forest Interlude, Jib Jig, and music from Tropical Freeze, a little more musical variety would be pretty good.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Because I think a DK rouge's gallery is a wonderful idea

GigaRidley

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0044-3298-5285
Switch FC
SW 7210-7639-6413
Guys, I have been wondering. Let me ask you all a thing: If K. Rool were to be low or not-so-high tier or whatever in this game, will you still main him?

As for me, I surely will! Never cared much about tiers to begin with, personally.
After all the time I spent hoping for him in, it would be a crime not to play him. If anyone cares about my opinion on this, I personally think he'll be about mid tier. From what we've seen, he's got a good amount of utility and will likely be the heaviest character in the game.

He seems to fit my play style really well, though. I'll main him even if he's somehow last on the tier list.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
After all the time I spent hoping for him in, it would be a crime not to play him. If anyone cares about my opinion on this, I personally think he'll be about mid tier. From what we've seen, he's got a good amount of utility and will likely be the heaviest character in the game.

He seems to fit my play style really well, though. I'll main him even if he's somehow last on the tier list.
It's already been said, but that dash attack already looks obnoxious to deal with. Unless end lag is horrendous on it (which to be fair it might be; it would be a good counter balance.), K. Rool could easily be one of those characters For Glory noobs would have to learn how to adapt to. Assuming it has good knockback, it could be a move that becomes safe to throw out (for noobs, read spam) at high % due to knockback and super armor.

That said though, I do wonder what moves, if any, out prioritize K. Rool's dash attack armor.

Last edited:

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Look at all the K. ROOL haters now! Many of them have tried to put us down over the years while at the same time laugh at us for even thinking he would make it... They won the long hard battle of disbelief til the very last second, but in the end WE WON THE WAR!!!

Who is laughing NOW??!!

We are!

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Dedede has a giant hammer and multiple jumps. K. Rool doesn't. Being a "brawler" with his normals probably means better frame data on average (Dedede's biggest downfall), and it certainly looks that way from what we can see of his trailers, especially startup. It's mainly his reach that seems suspect now that I think about it, but of course he has two projectiles to mitigate this. Special mention goes to that burying tilt (my money's on it being his ftilt, due to the lack of crouching), which looks to be the fastest burying option in the game outside of items.

Also now that I think about it, if K.Rool throws his krown backwards and moves, how well will it track his movement, if at all?
Is his tilt faster than WFT Jab? That buries. ROB can also bury off of a grab, which is even more scary.

I imagine the crown tracking would be similar to Toon Link.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Is his tilt faster than WFT Jab? That buries. ROB can also bury off of a grab, which is even more scary.

I imagine the crown tracking would be similar to Toon Link.
I was thinking of R.O.B's new dthrow, but grabs have somewhat punishable endlag in this game. And while WFT Jab 3 may be faster than K. Rool's ftilt in a vacuum, the fact remains that you have to input two other attacks before you get to the bury, limiting it's usefulness and speed.

It looks like K. Rool can act approximately once the crown reaches it's maximum distance. This probably means that it's best to try and catch landings with it's return trip when used this way (as opposed to using it as an item). It may indeed function similarly to the Boomerang item.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I was thinking of R.O.B's new dthrow, but grabs have somewhat punishable endlag in this game. And while WFT Jab 3 may be faster than K. Rool's ftilt in a vacuum, the fact remains that you have to input two other attacks before you get to the bury, limiting it's usefulness and speed.

It looks like K. Rool can act approximately once the crown reaches it's maximum distance. This probably means that it's best to try and catch landings with it's return trip when used this way (as opposed to using it as an item). It may indeed function similarly to the Boomerang item.
You should compare to WFT Jab 1 for speed as the hits should link. The only real advantage K. Rool has over it is range. I still expect ROBs throw to be much more useful than either.

I am curious as to how much shield pressure you can get going with the crown toss. I'm interested in throwing it out, using its recovery to fire off a cannonball and then trying to command grab anyone who shields all of that. Lots of fun stuff to try.

Know what I realised what this world needs? A remix of Interior, Crocodile, Aligator with K.Rool's running animation.

We absolutely need this to excist, please understand.

For those who don't know what am talking about:

Damn, that's a blast from the Smash 4 speculation period past.

We need an updated Gators Gonna Gate gif with his walking animation too.

tumblr_noeaw2xEKg1setq5go1_500.gif

Still some salty crocodile tears being spilt by cuppa haters, this gif can be put to good use there :p

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Oh yeah, they're definitely also added because they're beloved characters from great franchises. What I'm saying is that Nintendo seems to have underestimated how beloved their villains are if they're not Bowser or Ganon.

Which I guess is part of why King K. Rool was blacklisted for a while. The last game he had a major appearance in was on the Nintendo 64 or something, right? So Nintendo thinks that's too long ago, and that he's not as well-known as the protagonists, so they exclude him from future games. It's not until people are pounding at the gates for him to come back that they realize they were wrong.
Ironically, DK fans prefer the Kremlings and Rool over the various one-shots that franchise has had over the years. The Snowmads only got some love mostly because they weren't the Tiki Taks (who are so unremarkable that they're represented on the box art by their leaders ). Luckily Donkey Kong is episodic enough that getting K. Rool to reenter the series would be simple to do.

Then there's Kirby, which specializes in one-shot villains to the point that the former main villains are often just regular bosses or full-blown team mates.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Ironically, DK fans prefer the Kremlings and Rool over the various one-shots that franchise has had over the years. The Snowmads only got some love mostly because they weren't the Tiki Taks (who are so unremarkable that they're represented on the box art by their leaders ). Luckily Donkey Kong is episodic enough that getting K. Rool to reenter the series would be simple to do.

Then there's Kirby, which specializes in one-shot villains to the point that the former main villains are often just regular bosses or full-blown team mates.
Well, Snowmads are also not that different from Kremlings, just a different species and theme. I could easily see the groups being rivals, if they're both still intent on conquering DK Isles.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It would be funny if K. Rool thought of a viking theme, only to notice it was "taken" already.
K. Rool has always had one underlying theme no matter what he's posing as at the time: technology. Whether he's a king, kaptain or scientist, he always has access to factories and high-tech vehicles and weapons. This obviously makes the Kremlings a natural foil to the more-in-tune-with nature Kongs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom