• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Yeah been tweeting Retro ERYDAY!! I am actually curious to see IF they put Kremlings in, what they would look like in Retro's art-style.

I personally don't think theyll look all that different. Since they're not original character's from Retro I think Retro won't take many liberties with them... if anything I see Retro embracing the Rare designs with them, going back to older looks. Retro's current style actually isn't that different from Rare. A lot of the enemies from DKC3 actually look close to Retro's current designs for things, check out the Penguins from DKC3 in comparison to the Penguins from TF they actually look quite similar, which I like because it gives the game a sense of wholeness despite the different companes interpretations. A lot of Retros staff had actually worked at Rare as well though so it shouldn't come to be a surprise.

Edit: An interesting thing to note about Michael Kelbaugh (curent president of Retro) he actually worked as a tester for Nintendo all through the Rare era and worked on most of the Donkey Kong games including the original Country..you'd think if anyone would have a soft spot for the Kremlings it would be someone who in one way or another had worked on almost all of them and now has say for the franchise.

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Quasi related to the topic of One Of Us making it into Smash, I always thought that if Captain N made it into Smash, that'd be the Smash's Dev Team's excuse to put a bunch of Nintendo TV/cartoon themes and song Jingles into Smash. Have Captain N represented by the Kirby: Right Back At Ya theme, Do The Mario, the Donkey Kong Country cartoon theme song, and the like. It'd be fun if they added some non-theme songs that are remembered solely on meme value, such as One Of Us in such a scenario.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
I might show some interest in representation for the cartoon if we could get any representation for anything from the Rare era.

While a song won't happen, I could maybe, in one of many alternate universes, see Sakurai stick Eddie's blue nightcap on top of the white DK alt costume. That'd be pretty great.

Bonus points if there's a DK alt with a mustache, cuffs, and slicked back hair.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
This should be his victory pose if you manage to play doubles with DK.
I actually really want to see that happen lol.

Although I bet 99% of people playing the game would be confused AF seeing that.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Btw, can we all acknowledge that one time K Rool feel off of the top of a mountain, crushed his body multiple times on the cliffs falling down but STILL managed to fight off 3 hungry sharks after he fell into the ocean?

he didnt just fall off the mountain, he was banana slamma'd by dk's fist launching him through the roof(glass window if on gba) then he fell the way you described.....one thing about k rool that is common throughout the games is that he can take a beating and always get back up
Btw, can we all acknowledge that one time K Rool feel off of the top of a mountain, crushed his body multiple times on the cliffs falling down but STILL managed to fight off 3 hungry sharks after he fell into the ocean?

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Oh yeah, don‘t forget that he took multiple explosions to the face before all the other stuff.

That‘s one tough Guy!

-VictoriaJustice-

Smash Ace
NNID
Victor1aJust1ce
3DS FC
4768-7937-5552

Remember when this "leaked" before Returns came out and we thought he was the secret final boss?

This is a badass design. Would be cool to see if he has alt colors/attires based off Tiki/Fredrik.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR

Remember when this "leaked" before Returns came out and we thought he was the secret final boss?

This is a badass design. Would be cool to see if he has alt colors/attires based off Tiki/Fredrik.
I always wondered where that render came from... did anyone ever take credit for that?

Also I wanted to add that Retro Studios has created a new Animal Buddy! Got this courtesy of DK Vine! Tawks the parrot ha ha ha

Attachments

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Guys, I got to think about something...

What if the hinting is actually a 3rd Donkey Kong Country game, and.. hear me out;

What if King K. Rool (hopefully whatsoever) was made for the new Smash game, and that Retro, working on a third DK Country came to Sakurai to ask him to wait showing the King, until Retro themselves reveal the comeback of K. Rool themselves, like in the same direct for example, so that, first we get the reveal of Kremlins and K. Rool for DK Country 3, and right after an epic reveal for K. Rool for Smash.

Also, Dixie Reveal with Tropical Freeze's re-release.

^
All of that would be killer.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133

God I remember being so pissed off that the Kremlings weren't returning back then that this gave me so much joy then immediately knew it was fake simply due to the fact that at the time Nintendo said "Rare's stuff wasn't fresh enough" and it just didn't make since to have K.Rool be there but no other Kremlings. But then again I gave Returns a lot of **** in the day for removing animal buddies besides Rambi, less varied bonus rooms, weaker soundtrack IMO, no Kremlings, changing the look of DK Island, no underwater stages, the final boss being yet another giant head with floating hands boss, no tag team mechanic where you can switch between Diddy and Donkey. But after all that and all these years I'm still annoyed by a lot of this stuff BUT have grown to enjoy DKCR more. Tropical Freeze is MILES better IMO and is tied with DKC2 to me.

-VictoriaJustice-

Smash Ace
NNID
Victor1aJust1ce
3DS FC
4768-7937-5552
Just got to say though: If K. Rool is revealed for Smash, the moment he's on screen...I'm going to blow my vocal cords out from screaming and my room is going to be a waterworld with my (happy) tears.

Anyone else?

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
https://youtu.be/PvTgFZH2IH4

Just found this video..... I can't believe I haven't seen it till now.....

This falls in line with the DK Vine Rumor they had about David Wise working with Nintendo.... the Italian Instagram photo....

I'm telling you Kutthroats a new DK is coming and maybe even a return of the king.....

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I think the new game might be 3D. They wouldn't rerelease Tropical Freeze if it was 2D and being 3D explains why Retro's newest project is taking forever.

It would be amazing if they announced this supposed new DK game at e3 with King K. Rool being the main villain and also joining Smash Bros.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
You think the whole "Replace C with K" thing is cause Rool has an accent like that?

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
What if they had a Dixie Kong reveal trailer with a King K Rool surprise reveal? Like Robin/Lucina’s reveal.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
What if they had a Dixie Kong reveal trailer with a King K Rool surprise reveal? Like Robin/Lucina’s reveal.

It would be fantastic if they did the Dixie reveal and the trailer ended, then all of the sudden red letter's popped up on screen "The End?" and then BAM! K. Rool reveal to awesome redo of the Gangplank Galleon music...... one can dream

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Yeah, they GOTTA use "THE END" to introduce K. Rool. Rolling the credits is one of his most memorable moments.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Yeah, they GOTTA use "THE END" to introduce K. Rool. Rolling the credits is one of his most memorable moments.
Even now I'm still hoping "Kredits Roll" will be his final Smash. It is one of his most memorable moments, and it was such an awesome, revolutionary fourth wall break, and a really dirty trick to any poor child who were so excited to have finally beat K. Rool. All traits befitting of K. Rools character, and it would be awesome to imagine him harnessing and taking advantage of a fourth wall break for a strongest attack of sorts, like he somehow warps the reality of the game like it isn't a thing, because he's King K. Rool.

*EDIT* And it would befit his ego too, as if he alone is the final boss of Smash Bros., and everyone else is just trying to beat him.

Last edited:

culumon

Smash Apprentice
Dixie and K. Rool in the same trailer was my biggest hope during the days of Sm4sh DLC. My idea for it was - the first portion of Gangplank Galleon playing. Mario, Luigi, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong and Link, all tied up to the mast of a pirate ship. Goombas, Koopas, Bokoblins and Kremlings jeer and taunt them. At the front of the ship sits three thrones, all occupants laughing maniacally at the situation. In the left one, Bowser. In the right, Ganondorf. Between them... a figure just out of frame.The trapped heroes' situation looks grim, until... an explosion from the back of the ship. The music stops. The minions have barely any time to react before they start getting pelted by a variety of projectiles - turnips, fire, a Luma for good measure... and gum balls. Once all the minions have been taken out, from out of the smoke step Peach, Rosalina, Zelda, and finally... Dixie Kong. Cue her splash art. The heroes are jubilated, while Bowser and Ganondorf are furious. It is here when one scaly claw enters into frame, doing the "wait" gesture. The pair calm down. We finally get a glimpse of the middle throne's occupant, cloaked in shadow, before he leaps up into the air and lands on the deck with a slam. We finally see who it is. Cue King K. Rool's splash art. Both him and Dixie stare at one another intensely, like it's a standoff from a Western. Finally, they charge at one another, and the second portion of Gangplank Galleon kicks in as we cut to gameplay.

I just love when the reveal trailers toy with the audience's expectations or draw out the reveal. Making you think "OH MAN WE'RE GETTING K. ROOL!" before Dixie is revealed and you think "wait... is it just Dixie... or..." and then we get a double whammy... I'd love something like that. Either way as a supporter of both characters, if we got the two of them in the same trailer... it'd probably be one of my favourite Smash trailers ever by proxy, even if it ended up flatly directed and dull - which I don't think a Smash reveal trailer as ever been, so I'm not worried about that.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Dixie and K. Rool in the same trailer was my biggest hope during the days of Sm4sh DLC. My idea for it was - the first portion of Gangplank Galleon playing. Mario, Luigi, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong and Link, all tied up to the mast of a pirate ship. Goombas, Koopas, Bokoblins and Kremlings jeer and taunt them. At the front of the ship sits three thrones, all occupants laughing maniacally at the situation. In the left one, Bowser. In the right, Ganondorf. Between them... a figure just out of frame.The trapped heroes' situation looks grim, until... an explosion from the back of the ship. The music stops. The minions have barely any time to react before they start getting pelted by a variety of projectiles - turnips, fire, a Luma for good measure... and gum balls. Once all the minions have been taken out, from out of the smoke step Peach, Rosalina, Zelda, and finally... Dixie Kong. Cue her splash art. The heroes are jubilated, while Bowser and Ganondorf are furious. It is here when one scaly claw enters into frame, doing the "wait" gesture. The pair calm down. We finally get a glimpse of the middle throne's occupant, cloaked in shadow, before he leaps up into the air and lands on the deck with a slam. We finally see who it is. Cue King K. Rool's splash art. Both him and Dixie stare at one another intensely, like it's a standoff from a Western. Finally, they charge at one another, and the second portion of Gangplank Galleon kicks in as we cut to gameplay.

I just love when the reveal trailers toy with the audience's expectations or draw out the reveal. Making you think "OH MAN WE'RE GETTING K. ROOL!" before Dixie is revealed and you think "wait... is it just Dixie... or..." and then we get a double whammy... I'd love something like that. Either way as a supporter of both characters, if we got the two of them in the same trailer... it'd probably be one of my favourite Smash trailers ever by proxy, even if it ended up flatly directed and dull - which I don't think a Smash reveal trailer as ever been, so I'm not worried about that.
This trailer needs to be at e3

SmashKeks

Smash Ace

I like the idea, though I feel like them being on Gangplank Galleon would tip quite a few people off K. Rool was coming right away, given how it was his signature flagship from his first appearance.

Now have this trailer play out at Crocodile Isle, which was Dixies first appearance, with no prior hint of K. Rool, but later show the Gangplank as a stage, then it would be a pretty good psych out.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I like the idea, though I feel like them being on Gangplank Galleon would tip quite a few people off K. Rool was coming right away, given how it was his signature flagship from his first appearance.

Now have this trailer play out at Crocodile Isle, which was Dixies first appearance, with no prior hint of K. Rool, but later show the Gangplank as a stage, then it would be a pretty good psych out.
I'd show Dixie first then show them gameplay of her. Then her, Diddy, DK, Mario, Link and Inkling and see a cannonball blasting at them from a ship. The camera zooms into the ship and we see K. Rool, it then goes to a close a closeup on his face and we see the Smash Ball in his eyes. Then the rest of the trailer is gameplay footage of King K. Rool showing off his moveset and wrecking the heroes.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I'd show Dixie first then show them gameplay of her. Then her, Diddy, DK, Mario, Link and Inkling and see a cannonball blasting at them from a ship. The camera zooms into the ship and we see K. Rool, it then goes to a close a closeup on his face and we see the Smash Ball in his eyes. Then the rest of the trailer is gameplay footage of King K. Rool showing off his moveset and wrecking the heroes.
I agree. I forgot to mention that I'd probably show Dixie, some gameplay, THEN, K. Rool, followed by K. Rool gameplay, a bit of which would be on the good Gangplank.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I agree. I forgot to mention that I'd probably show Dixie, some gameplay, THEN, K. Rool, followed by K. Rool gameplay, a bit of which would be on the good Gangplank.
I've got another idea. After Dixie they should pretend it's the end of the trailer first and then show K. Rool after that.

Troykv

Smash Master
I've got another idea. After Dixie they should pretend it's the end of the trailer first and then show K. Rool after that.
That definitely sounds like something that K. Rool would do... I love the idea.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Support once more! The king will always be relevant to me in my heart!

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
So, during my replay of DKC3, I finally reached K Rool.
I totally forgot that he makes a Scoopy Doo reference after you beat Kaos.

Oh and I actually really like the Battle theme

Top Bottom