• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

Korporal K. Reep

Smash Apprentice
Don't forget the Neckies! Being the only non-crocodilian enemy type to dress up to fit the pirate motif in DKC2, they definitely have to be my favorite of them all. I find them just as memorable as the Zingers!

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
One of my favorite enemies from DKC has always been the Klap Traps specifically the ones from DKC2, I've always liked them the best. The design stands out the blue with red spots, the curly tail, the huge eyes ha ha. I also love the ones from DK64, especially the dog like personality

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Neckies, yup I agree. I like how they functioned in DKC2, too. in DKC1, I found the Neckies who tossed eggs a little bit hard to understand. Perhaps cause the eggs were too fast or the animation was a little unclear. Maybe in modern day it would be more readable. But neckies are definitely memorable.

And yes, Klap Traps are another great design. I love Klampon (DKC2 Klaptrap). And while I agree that the dog personality fits them, I don't like the look they gave the klap traps in DK64. I think it's just too generic. The design from DKC1 or 2 with the dog personality would be great.

As for other non Kremlings I find memorable, in terms of aquatic enemies, I always liked Snapjaw the fish in DKC2. It's the red fish that snaps its mouth several times before growing huge and biting the Kongs. I think there's a purple version that chases you throughout the stage, too. I like em.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Running from the cops in Stardust Speedway.
Neckies, yup I agree. I like how they functioned in DKC2, too. in DKC1, I found the Neckies who tossed eggs a little bit hard to understand. Perhaps cause the eggs were too fast or the animation was a little unclear. Maybe in modern day it would be more readable. But neckies are definitely memorable.

And yes, Klap Traps are another great design. I love Klampon (DKC2 Klaptrap). And while I agree that the dog personality fits them, I don't like the look they gave the klap traps in DK64. I think it's just too generic. The design from DKC1 or 2 with the dog personality would be great.

As for other non Kremlings I find memorable, in terms of aquatic enemies, I always liked Snapjaw the fish in DKC2. It's the red fish that snaps its mouth several times before growing huge and biting the Kongs. I think there's a purple version that chases you throughout the stage, too. I like em.
I believe the purple version is Snapjaw. The main version, if I recall correctly, is Lockjaw.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
A random thought jumped into my head....

Remember back in the day Sakurai had those note's on his website back when Brawl was being developed?? He had a list of characters he had considered from fan requests. I remember seeing the list pop up a few times online back when Brawl was in development

Anyway I remember King K. Rool was on that list alongside Geno, King DeDeDe, Megaman, Palutena, Diddy & Dixie duo, Krystal etc.

After Sakurai did that interview for Nintendo dream after the Smash DLC and said he considered Geno even back when Brawl was being developed just reaffirm's my suspicions that the list was serious considerations.....

Either way maybe that's another advantage we have, K. Rool was clearly considered during Brawl since he shows up on the list. Many others from that list were finally realized, his current popularity could be just enough of that final push to get him in there..

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I just realized recently - I don't think I've ever beaten Donkey Kong Country 1 or 3. (at least, not by playing through the game's levels myself - we got our copy of the game from our cousin, who had reached the final boss for both games) This weekend, I'll try to play through DKC1.

I'm currently up to the third area, and while I've died a few times, I feel like playing through games like Rayman Legends have helped me with keeping my cool and getting timing down when it comes to stages like Stop & Go Station and Millstone Mayhem.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
A random thought jumped into my head....

Remember back in the day Sakurai had those note's on his website back when Brawl was being developed?? He had a list of characters he had considered from fan requests. I remember seeing the list pop up a few times online back when Brawl was in development

Anyway I remember King K. Rool was on that list alongside Geno, King DeDeDe, Megaman, Palutena, Diddy & Dixie duo, Krystal etc.

After Sakurai did that interview for Nintendo dream after the Smash DLC and said he considered Geno even back when Brawl was being developed just reaffirm's my suspicions that the list was serious considerations.....

Either way maybe that's another advantage we have, K. Rool was clearly considered during Brawl since he shows up on the list. Many others from that list were finally realized, his current popularity could be just enough of that final push to get him in there..
I'm assuming there is no link to that list or? I'v never seen King K Rool on any list of Sakurai.

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I definitely agree with this sentiment. I play a lot of high tier characters, and a lot of low tier characters. I play some characters in one smash, but not another. The only factor I look at is "are they fun?" To that end, I have been forcing myself to play Lucina just because. So, you never know, once I see King K. Rool, he might be that kind of character.
This is an honest fear of mine: That K. Rool gets revealed, but I when I finally get to play him, I hate the way he plays/feels to play. This happened in Smash 4 when I was burned by Megaman. I was hyped to try Megaman... but for some reason he just feels wrong to me. I really cannot play Megaman, and he feels bad to play for me. I would hate for my favorite kharacter and krook to get the same treatment, but it is certainly possible.

Then again, characters change in feel from game to game. Maybe in another game, my boy Megaman will click for me a lot easier unexpectedly.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
So, which are your favorite Kremlings?

I love Krook, Kutlass, Kloak, Krusha, the DK64 Klaptraps and Kritters and of course K Rool

anyways now lets get back to our ridley disscussion , so we know that ridley is going to take up a considerable amount of the screen ingame so how do we jump without getting insta killed?

the only thing im worried about is that ridley might be too purple to make the it in the game

i love king k rool

Last edited:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
anyways now lets get back to our ridley disscussion , so we know that ridley is going to take up a considerable amount of the screen ingame so how do we jump without getting insta killed?

the only thing im worried about is that ridley might be too purple to make the it in the game

i love king k rool
I know you're just joking around, but you can actually go as high as you like off screen without being killed. It's when you're damaged while up there or launched up there that you'll die.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
My favourites are of course King K. Rool, and Klump. Kludge and Kopter is also pretty cool. Kalypso too.

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
I think paon (the developer of DK Barrel blast)
did a great job with redesigning some of the Kremlins. Kalypso and kludge looked so cool. I think the Kremlins have a really memorable design and my favorites are the ones from dkc2. Personally, I believe K.Rool is in no way inferior to Bowser or Ganondorf, he is a fantastic villain!

Morbi

Scavenger
I know you're just joking around, but you can actually go as high as you like off screen without being killed. It's when you're damaged while up there or launched up there that you'll die.
If we are being overly pedantic, you actually get damaged while you are off-screen and therefore damage is not what kills you, it is the knock-back.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
If we are being overly pedantic, you actually get damaged while you are off-screen and therefore damage is not what kills you, it is the knock-back.
You have me there.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
So, which are your favorite Kremlings?

I love Krook, Kutlass, Kloak, Krusha, the DK64 Klaptraps and Kritters and of course K Rool

My all time favorite Kremlings aside from the King himself are Krusha, Kruncha, Kudgel, Kludge (easily one of the best Paon designed Kremlings) and Kopter.

Kopter is probably the only Kremling design from DKC3 I actually liked, for the most part I find the design's from the 3rd game to be so boring, DKC 1 is your basic Kremlings and even they had a theme going, many of them looked like infantry in the military and it was easy picturing them as invasion force. The second of course we had the pirate theme and it was done beautifully. The 3rd one though...they're all a bunch of naked Kremlings... they just felt so generic compared to the previous games, then K. Rool has a cool Dr. Frankenstein theme going on but all of his minions are just running around naked... I don't know just not a fan.

DK64 had my favorite Kritter design though can't beat Krunch...

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
They should have made the Kremlings in DKC3 look more mutated or like science experiments. I thought the buzzes were ugly but they had the right idea in making them look like experimental Zingers. Some people say the Kremlings in DKC3 already are mutants but I think they were just ugly lol. They really did need a theme. Science experiments, polluters would have been great.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Yeah, 3‘s design seems to be all over the place, especially with the bosses...

I mean, Arich is kinda ok and his more nature-based design is in stark contrast to Kaos.

But the rest is just...eh.

The game really should have gone deep into the nature vs technology trope. The Buzzers or Bazooka are great examples here. The other Kremlings however seem to be inconsistent

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
I think paon (the developer of DK Barrel blast)
did a great job with redesigning some of the Kremlins. Kalypso and kludge looked so cool. I think the Kremlins have a really memorable design and my favorites are the ones from dkc2. Personally, I believe K.Rool is in no way inferior to Bowser or Ganondorf, he is a fantastic villain!
I agree with the exception of K. Rool. It might sound silly, but I like his golden belly. That should always be kept. He along with the kremlings also should have been a bit more scaly. Also, I forgot all about Paon. What are they even up to nowadays? I'm surprised we didn't see them work on anything after Jungle Climber. I would have liked to see them take on a 2D platforming game on 3DS.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Obligatory K. Rool Victory pose.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
^
Tag this guy into the post above his. :)
Welcome aboard.

#OneOfUsOncePerPageLimit? <3

Last edited:

Wegenbarth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3609-1252-6127
Besides the Ashley and Waluigi Thread, this is my favourite place at SmashBoards.

I have never really played a DKC game for quite long (mostly around 30 mins), yet the appeal of the Krool King is something I noticed back when a friend of mine wanted him for Brawl already.
Kinda a shame that he didn't appear in Smash4 when I felt he was guarantued to be playable, but each defeat just makes the final victory (once he finally appears in Smash) sweeter.

At least Sakurai KNOWS about the fan's wishes for Rool (and Ashley) thanks to the Mii Costumes, so this time I'm positive that at least on of the characters which I support make it in, unlike last time.

And Rool is the one who deserves it the most.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I've been watching too much Jojo so I made this abomination; King K. Rimson.

upload_2018-4-2_20-18-4.png

Context:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
I've been watching too much Jojo so I made this abomination; King K. Rimson.

View attachment 140374

Context:
It just works!

K. Rool actually is kinda like Diavolo now that I think of it,

He is merciless, destroys anyone that gets in his way, and has multiple identities/personalities!

PF9

Smash Lord
King K. Rool is the another new DK representative I'm aiming for, alongside Candy and Dixie. I've wanted him since SSB4.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
If they actually use the ballot data for some of the newcomers then there's a really high chance King K. Rool will get in.

-VictoriaJustice-

Smash Ace
NNID
Victor1aJust1ce
3DS FC
4768-7937-5552
Since the Ballot is being used as a reference point, I feel like this literally makes his chances skyrocket. I'm very, very positive he scored high.

I can only hope that I finally get to see my favorite villain return to Smash!

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
A good belly should always be appreciated so I support K.Rool

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Since the Ballot is being used as a reference point, I feel like this literally makes his chances skyrocket. I'm very, very positive he scored high.

I can only hope that I finally get to see my favorite villain return to Smash!
It's not one hundred percent they're using the ballot, it says the ballot data "may be" used for future games... but let's be honest it's more than likely being used.

Let's just throw the scenario out there that Sakurai didn't make Mii costumes based off ballot votes. That means character's got costumes based off Sakurai's own knowledge of them being requested. K. Rool, Geno, and Loyd especially were all popular in the Brawl days. Now imagine moving forward with that knowledge then looking at the ballot results for some of those characters. Especially a certain Krocodile... I think it would be hard to justify not including him..

Quillion

Smash Hero
Does anyone else really hope Retro will make a third DKC game that features the Kremlings' big comeback? It would be a nice end to their DKC trilogy.

Either way, I equally hope that either Dixie or K. Rool gets in Smash. I don't really care who at this point.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Does anyone else really hope Retro will make a third DKC game that features the Kremlings' big comeback? It would be a nice end to their DKC trilogy.

Either way, I equally hope that either Dixie or K. Rool gets in Smash. I don't really care who at this point.
Yeah been tweeting Retro ERYDAY!! I am actually curious to see IF they put Kremlings in, what they would look like in Retro's art-style.

Top Bottom