• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Two things;

1. I love how K. Rool fans have gone over from K. Rool is the best choice, Dixie no. And vice verse. To; "Man, how cool it would be with both Dixie and K. Rool. THEY NEED to show Dixie first and K. Rool after". This is a very cool attitude change, diggin it.

2. Would you actually want to have our king voiced with a talking role like in the TV Show, or be like Bowser, just beast sounds that fit the character?

Two things;

1. I love how K. Rool fans have gone over from K. Rool is the best choice, Dixie no. And vice verse. To; "Man, how cool it would be with both Dixie and K. Rool. THEY NEED to show Dixie first and K. Rool after". This is a very cool attitude change, diggin it.

2. Would you actually want to have our king voiced with a talking role like in the TV Show, or be like Bowser, just beast sounds that fit the character?
personally i have wanted both since the beggining k rool more so than dixie....hated how the fanbases were divided and saw each other as competition even though we are from the same franchise so i am glad that things are changing to how they should be

i think k rools dk 64 voice mixed with some dkc 1 ughs should be his voice....generic crocodile hissing and crackling wouldnt fit all that well, neither would his tv show voice even though it is a great singing voice

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
1. I've noticed this change too. I think at least in the DLC days, many people (including myself) were expecting a series to get only 1 character for DLC (which generally held true, with the exception of FE's Roy and Corrin), so Dixie posed a threat to K Rool superfans. Now that we're in for a new release, many have gone back to the idea that DK can get 2 newcomers in the same game, like Mario in Melee & 4, Zelda in Melee, Kirby in Brawl, Pokemon in Melee & Brawl, and FE in Melee & 4.

Also, this may just be me, but it's gotten to the point where DK is so criminally under represented that I'll take Dixie, Cranky, Funky, just A new DK character would make me happy.

2. Please no realistic crocodile roars out of K. Rool! I'm not a fan of it with Bowser, DK and Diddy (yeah it would be hilarious if DK and Diddy made a realistic ape screech when they got launched once and a while, but they've had their own voices for nearly 20 years now, same with Bowser).

As for dialogue... stuff like the "Yeah! Thank you!" from DK64 is cool but if they go all in with voice acting I'd have to see/hear before I reach a conclusion. I'd prefer if he just made his grunts/noises from the DKC games & DK64. His newer voice from Super Sluggers would be ok, as long as he makes the "AUGH!" sound from DKC somewhere.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
For me anyway I feel DK deserves 2 reps at this point and I don't see how Dixie should or could ruin K. Rools chances..... I want to see both because I love DKC and want deserving reps.... plus DKC2 is my all time favorite game in the series so seeing Dixie, Diddy and K. Rool would make me so happy.

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
I've always wanted Dixie and k.rool. If we're open to having both and revealing k.rool in characteristic style then it's all worth it. I still believe though k.rool should come before Dixie though if we only get one more rep for DK.

I'm not too bothered by his voice as long as he has his death grunt somewhere I'll be happy.

StormC

Smash Hero
I'd be pissed if we got Lord Fredrik or Dread Kong and told this was our new "Donkey Kong character." It's not just that K. Rool and Dixie are Donkey Kong characters, but they're iconic characters that have been neglected over and over. While I want K. Rool more than Dixie, she's more than due as well.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I won't lie I'll be really REALLY disappointed if Dixie gets in and K. Rool gets snubbed.... not because I dont thinK she deserves it, it's just clearly she isn't my first choice. I'd be happy that we got something but it's annoying that other series can get multiple reps at a time but with DK were on a hope and a prayer.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
If it were my call. I'd have Dixie, Cranky, Funky and K Rool in. That's how much I love the old Country games. They were so good. I'd rather have all of them then the Inklings, even though they're cool I guess. I guess it's cause I'm old. Lol

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
I think all of us would have the whole DK and Kremling C/Krew if we could. We just have to unfortunately be very realistic. Which is only going to be two reps at most if that.

StormC

Smash Hero
I don't really want anyone besides K. Rool and Dixie. Cranky would be okay I guess but not exactly a pressing concern. No other DK characters warrant being playable.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I'd be pissed if we got Lord Fredrik or Dread Kong and told this was our new "Donkey Kong character." It's not just that K. Rool and Dixie are Donkey Kong characters, but they're iconic characters that have been neglected over and over. While I want K. Rool more than Dixie, she's more than due as well.

If Frederick got into Smash I'd be floored. I wouldn't believe a one off villain would get a roster spot over the most recurring villain in the series. If that scenario played out I think I'd give up on K. Rool showing up in a modern DK game or anything really..... fortunately I don't see that being the case.

It's funny really... we've had these one off villains for over a decade in the console DK games.... which is why I feel like the series is sort of in a weird place. All they need to do is just bring back the damn Kremlings and everything would be perfect... it's one simple thing.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
If it was MY choice we'd have K.Rool, Dixie, Cranky, Funky, Candy, Tiny, Chunky, Lanky, Kiddy, Swanky, Wrinkly all playable with Rambi, Squawks, Kritter, Lord Fredrick, and Zinger as assist trophies. lol

Though seriously Dixie and K.Rool are the only two characters I'm pulling for honestly and would be severely disappointed if neither get in. We got Inklings (which was a given) so my other characters like Bandana Dee, Medusa, Krystal, Wolf, Dr. Coyle, Sylux, and Issac will just be icing on the cake honestly.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
How would you guys feel about a K. Rool specific rage-like mechanic where his attacks become faster, stronger, more complicated as his damage increases. Let's use the blunderbuss for an example. Let's say at low percentage damage he just shoots normal cannon balls that can be grabbed by opponents to hit K. Rool. But as the damage increases, K. Rool starts shooting spiked cannon balls that can't be picke dup, bouncing spiked cannon balls, spiked cannon balls that float through the air in a whirlpool motion, or even baddies like KlapTrap or Zinger.

It may work better with other attacks but I'm just using the blunderbuss to illustrate the idea of this K Rool specific rage mechanic. How would you feel if K. Rool's attacks became "dynamic" like that? I think it would be fun. I always wanted to play a "boss" character in Smash Bros and I think this would channel that feeling.

StormC

Smash Hero
If Frederick got into Smash I'd be floored. I wouldn't believe a one off villain would get a roster spot over the most recurring villain in the series. If that scenario played out I think I'd give up on K. Rool showing up in a modern DK game or anything really..... fortunately I don't see that being the case.

It's funny really... we've had these one off villains for over a decade in the console DK games.... which is why I feel like the series is sort of in a weird place. All they need to do is just bring back the damn Kremlings and everything would be perfect... it's one simple thing.
Personally, although the Kremlings coming back is the top priority, I really want to see more Kongs and Animal Buddies return as well. Enguarde not being in Tropical Freeze was a crock.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Personally, although the Kremlings coming back is the top priority, I really want to see more Kongs and Animal Buddies return as well. Enguarde not being in Tropical Freeze was a crock.
I agree, I don't understand how come Retro didn't utilize the other animal buddies.... then again... they didn't utilize a lot of things... hence our complaints about K. Rools absence...

I have to say though, Tawks the Parrot is really a step in the right direction albeit a small one. His design looks so similar to Rares stuff youd think he was an older animal buddy from the 90s. I like him a lot and I hope he's a sign of what to expect moving forward so long as Retro continues to work on the DK series. I do believe that if Retro is indeed working on a new DK game that they will address the fan's concerns.

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
I'd like to see K. Rool be a mashup of both incarnations of his character, like Wolf.

Make him talk in his taunts and victory animations, everything else can be animal noises.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Fredrick in Smash Bros over K Rool would be like getting Wart but no Bowser, its an idea too ridiculous for my feeble mind to comprehend.

But hey, on the topic of animal buddies, which one do you guys miss the most? Besides Enguarde, since he is pretty much everyones go to answer and is almost as popular as Rambi. I personally really want Squitter back, I really like the gameplay element of creating new platforms. And if you could come up with a new buddy, what would they be and what would they do?

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Fredrick in Smash Bros over K Rool would be like getting Wart but no Bowser, its an idea too ridiculous for my feeble mind to comprehend.

But hey, on the topic of animal buddies, which one do you guys miss the most? Besides Enguarde, since he is pretty much everyones go to answer and is almost as popular as Rambi. I personally really want Squitter back, I really like the gameplay element of creating new platforms. And if you could come up with a new buddy, what would they be and what would they do?
I really liked Ellie, actually.

StormC

Smash Hero
Squitter has always been my favorite Animal Buddy. His platform building mechanic is so well done you could make a whole game around it.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Squitter for your reasons. I think it could be a really fun mechanic in Smash Bros. Like Squitter's an item, an AT, or a background element that spawns platforms.

I also miss big Squawks. Carrying Kongs was his best job. Puzzle finding and flashlight holding are not the highlight of his resume.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I'd prefer Ellie, Squitter and Rattly coming back. I really like all three of them, and would like to see them return. Big Squawks, as InASnowBoundLand said, is also a thing that needs to come back as well.

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
What if they had a Dixie Kong reveal trailer with a King K Rool surprise reveal? Like Robin/Lucina’s reveal.
I've been thinking about that for a while. I feel like that'd be a great way to bring in the surprise that he's in the game. I imagined the reveal would have Donkey and Diddy sparring while Dixie joins in for the fun. Then out of nowhere K. Rool comes by and causes trouble. Now that would make me cry tears of joy.

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
Two things;

I don't know what K. Rool fans you know, but I definitely want both him and Dixie. I just want more DK representation in general. I'll even take Cranky Kong as a playable character. I just love this series to death.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I won't lie I'll be really REALLY disappointed if Dixie gets in and K. Rool gets snubbed.... not because I dont thinK she deserves it, it's just clearly she isn't my first choice. I'd be happy that we got something but it's annoying that other series can get multiple reps at a time but with DK were on a hope and a prayer.
This is surely how the majority of us feel. I have always wanted both. I don't want them to have to compete and don't see why they should have to when Sakurai tossed in 2 more Kirby characters at once in Brawl and 2 more of *his* Kid Icarus characters in Smash 4. (even though I barely count Dark Pit as a character at all.)

We want both Dixie and K.Rool. It is indeed Krool that we have neither at this point... And the future for this character always seems so uncertain. I really wish something or someone would bring this guy back after all this time.

I do enjoy seeing K.Rool brought up 90% of the time by fans now. You'd think Sakurai would include the following seeing as how they have been in the majority of fan-made rosters since before Brawls release: Ridley, King K Rool, and Rayman. The man still hasn't taken a freaking hint?!

Last edited:

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
That's something I've noticed as well. Now it's kind of out of the norm if a roster list doesn't include k.rool. Pretty much most I'm seeing has him in and speak to a decent length about him.

I think if they weren't before a lot more people are aware of him and his possibility or potential. Which is a major boost for him.

Even if we were disapointed with the mii kostume I think it's helped a lot. Maybe it was all just a test to see how popular he actually was?

Last edited:

The Animator

Smash Journeyman
That's something I've noticed as well. Now it's kind of out of the norm if a roster list doesn't include k.rool. Pretty much most I'm seeing has him in and speak to a decent length about him.

I think if they weren't before a lot more people are aware of him and his possibility or potential. Which is a major boost for him.

Even if we were disapointed with the mii kostume I think it's helped a lot. Maybe it was all just a test to see how popular he actually was?
The way I see it the costume was them acknowledging that there is a high demand for K. Rool. Plus the smash ballot was clearly a way to survey what people want. This game is the best chance he has at getting in. If not now then probably wont happen until he returns as the main villain/playable character in new (very successful) DKC games. At least if he doesn't make it in, I hope all the talk about him will prompt his return to DKC games, they feel empty without him, the walrus was a poor substitute.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
In a world where FE can get 6 characters, we should get K. Rool, Dixie Kong, and my boy Funky Kong in this game.

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
This is surely how the majority of us feel. I have always wanted both. I don't want them to have to compete and don't see why they should have to when Sakurai tossed in 2 more Kirby characters at once in Brawl and 2 more of *his* Kid Icarus characters in Smash 4. (even though I barely count Dark Pit as a character at all.)

We want both Dixie and K.Rool. It is indeed Krool that we have neither at this point... And the future for this character always seems so uncertain. I really wish something or someone would bring this guy back after all this time.

I do enjoy seeing K.Rool brought up 90% of the time by fans now. You'd think Sakurai would include the following seeing as how they have been in the majority of fan-made rosters since before Brawls release: Ridley, King K Rool, and Rayman. The man still hasn't taken a freaking hint?!
I think the problem with Sakurai is that he may not see K. Rool as a character who can bring in a unique and interesting moveset that could set him up different than the rest of the cast. Of course, that'd be wrong as we all know, but this is the same guy who thought Pac-Man couldn't work because he was pizza shaped. I think the ballot may help him understand what makes him a great character and hopefully he can bring him to life in this new iteration of Smash.

Honestly, It surprises me that Sakurai has never brought up K. Rool in an interview or anything before. K. Rool has had fan demand for a long time now, but he's never once commented an anything. He's brought up Ridley and Geno, but never our King. I really wish he could at least say something about him.

Love the animal buddies,, fleshed out the game play mechanics even more.

Squitter would be my fave, one of the glaring weaknesses in the new DKC was the lack of animal buddies we got.

If Dixie/Cranky get in I'd love for an animal buddy to be part of their move set. Even as an assist. trophy. Squawks carrying Cranky as his Up B would probably be the most suitable way to use an animal buddy in a moveset.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I think the problem with Sakurai is that he may not see K. Rool as a character who can bring in a unique and interesting moveset that could set him up different than the rest of the cast. Of course, that'd be wrong as we all know, but this is the same guy who thought Pac-Man couldn't work because he was pizza shaped. I think the ballot may help him understand what makes him a great character and hopefully he can bring him to life in this new iteration of Smash.

Honestly, It surprises me that Sakurai has never brought up K. Rool in an interview or anything before. K. Rool has had fan demand for a long time now, but he's never once commented an anything. He's brought up Ridley and Geno, but never our King. I really wish he could at least say something about him.
If he thinks K. Rool will bring nothing unique than Dixie is equally screwed.... so in such a case were doubly out of luck. I agree on the fact that Sakurai has never mentioned K. Rool, though at the same time everyone who's ever interviewed Sakurai has never asked about him which always annoyes me.... every interview they ask about Ridley... I'm feeling that this time if he doesnt get in we will definitely get a reason why because at this point I think he's probably known as one of, if not THE top request. Pretty much every gaming site I've seen has mentioned his requestedness so if he gets snubbed then someone's absolutely going to bring him up.

Exactly... there's been so many series that have received multiple reps at once, Kirby, Mario, FE, Pokemon, Kid Icarus. It's pretty outrageous that we as DK fans have to have this mentality that we will probably only get one... unfortunately that's the result of our favorite series getting largely Ignored for multiple games...

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I think, to be fair to Sakurai, K. Rool's popularity didn't reach huge heights until post-Brawl, the lead-up into Smash 4. It was then that K. Rool's popularity seemed to compete with some of the actual newcomers we got, including Palutena. For Brawl, it was decent, but I think Diddy's lack of inclusion was holding him back. I think it's too early to conclude what Sakurai thinks of K. Rool. He's really actually only been "snubbed" for just one game (and the DLC, which seems to have focused on third party characters and a transparent promotion). I'm actually feeling really hopeful thanks to the mii costume.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
The push for K. Rool reached new hights for Smash 4, and bursted out like a vulcano during DLC-days.
Luckily for K. Rool was that we got Diddy Kong for Brawl, which was a step in the right direction.

Unluckily for DK Smash Fans, Smash 4 did not branch out on the series. Dixie could easily have joined Dark Pit, Lucina and Doctor Mario on the clone side. Even though she would have been less clone than them, she would still have been doing more for the DK Series in Smash and continuing the great step forward for the series in Smash, which would have made K. Rool even more likelier.

Fans of the character, DK series and Villains supporters in general really came to unite for his inclusion during DLC-days, which was heard from all over the world to Sakurai's office. Finally, first step of recognition outside Trophies, Sticker and Music, it was a Mii costume. The fans might have saved the Kremlin King by using the Ballot.

Because of what happened, we can only hope that both K. Rool and Dixie get in.
Both have a lot going for them in regards to the new Smash Bros game. Could this finally be time for DK to shine?

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
and the DLC, which seems to have focused on third party characters and a transparent promotion
That’s a good point. Smash DLC is a great idea since there are so many characters we all want and not much roster space, so I’m all for it. Thing is, DLC needs to sell, so it’s a great place for cut vets and hype worthy 3rd parties.

Sm4sh DLC consisted of three returning veterans, two of whom missed Brawl; three 3rd parties, two of which are considered some of the biggest names in gaming; and another put in purely for promotion - who got the most flack for it. They didn’t add any Nintendo newcomers otherwise. I have a sneaking suspicion the ballot barely registered DLC there and they’d planned the DLC prior, but the Mii costumes were ways they could support Nintendo newcomers who surprised them by doing well.

K. Rool is becoming one of the hottest possibles, and I feel that if he doesn’t get in the base game, Sakurai will be asked about him by name.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
You know, I just realized how important the sound of the K in King "K". Rool is.

I mean. It could easily sound like Kinky Rule.
Turns out its his next persona in the next DK game, Kinky K. Rool... just black leather every where with a spiked choker that say's "Daddy".

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Have you guys seen this?

If DKC ended up like this, how do you think K.Rool would have ended up looking?
You know... seeing this I'm kind of glad they went in a different direction with the designs lol

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Do you think King K. Rool was the #1 first party on the Smash Ballot?
I don't think any official data was ever released on the Ballot's results so it be entirely speculation at best.

Top Bottom