• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Just wanted to give congrats to all K Rool fans! While I am more of an Isaac fanboy, I have rooted for you guys to get the croc (sorry, Kremling) and you got your wish fulfilled!

Here's hoping for Dixie Kong for you guys to *raises Banana Cocktail glass*

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Hmm... I don't know if this has been asked yet, but do you guys think K. Rool will use his classic hurt noise when you jump on him in the original DKC as a KO sound? Alternatively, it could work when he gets hit once or a few times from multiple moves in combos, but it's quite an iconic sound at this point, so I'd hope they might put it in somewhere.

Last edited:

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Even ignoring that I've softened up towards the idea of Waluigi in Smash since E3, I very much can't laugh at this kind of thing right now, for reasons I'm sure anyone looking over to the left could guess.

Doesn't help that a friend of mine keeps showing me similar (and crueler) images, presumably just to try to provoke me.
I can't stand looking at that. Extremely rude..considering where King K Rool was before 8/8/2018... I like Waluigi and I do feel he should be in the game in some form. AT is fine with me, but whoever made it that...yeesh...making Ridley and K Rool fans look like ass holes.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Sorry I'm late to the party but I wanted to say congratulations! As a Ridley fan it's frickin wonderful to see my sister fanbase get their character. Smash Bros finally feels complete!

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Been watching K.Rool's trailer again and I really can't stop saying how just amazing and hype-inducing it is. I think it definitely rivals Ridley's, but I might personally be preferring this one over the style.

I mean, God:

This one always sends shivers down my spine.

BKupa666 BKupa666 - my biggest Kongratulations for your enduring enthusiasm, leadership and such passionate support finally paying off. It had me go just gooey inside to watch your reaction to K.Rool's reveal - which might be probably one of my most fave to date.

While being primarily a Dixie-fan, I remember quite fondly of noting the strong and loud support that emanated from this thread around SSB4-speculation era as I went to the character subforums, and volunteered to do this particular character support stamp for the Krew:

Something else interesting I had to note as I browsed for this particular stamp: I actually had voted for K.Rool as well, during the time I was wearing a tag to support Roy as DLC for Smash 4. So I could say I lent on my support as well. Nice to see it paid off too!

In whole, the way K.Rool's been made in Ultimate has me quite wonder if to pick him up as that go-to-villain among the roster - since Wario was so long-time ruined by his "zany" Original The Character-take by Sakurai, not having an ounce of Wario Land in him (until Ultimate as a Dash Attack - but I vastly prefer his Project M-self despite it all.)

Anyway, here's cheers for the ever-charming Kremling King!

There are still characters I intend to passively support - namely Dixie, who I think has a great chance at being a Chrom-style echo, taking her fans' suggestion to use Diddy's side and neutral specials, plus DK's up and down specials.
Sweet to hear that you're lending your support for her too after this! Just wanted to tell you that plenty of Kremling Kutthroats have been coming like a wave to Dixie's support thread since K.Rool's confirmation - I certainly find this so heartwarming as it shows how all the fans of DKC are sticking so closely together to rally for the perfect representation of the series.

I personally feel like if she's gonna be an Echo, that'd mean less amazing of a fanfare and presentation that K.Rool received - but I made a post about how that might be averted (which'd involved K.Rool probably being featured in another trailer for that purpose.)

Nevertheless, BKupa666 BKupa666 - it's time to sail your crew on to new seas! I don't think the Kaptain's work is done yet. ;)

Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion

King K. Rool reactions from Japan compilation!
That was great. I had this dumb grin on watching the whole thing, especially whenever I heard them mention Kaptain, Baron, or 64.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Am I too late for the letter?

King K. Rool reactions from Japan compilation!
Hehe, not popular in Japan they said. Irrelevant they said, PAW, humbug!

This was great, thank you for posting it, its nice that the whole community is excited for the King.

I really do hope this affects DKC moving forward.

Rool is a really transformative villain with a persona and legion that can match any setting.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The main things that I hope for include the following...
  1. King K. Rool is among the top 3 heaviest fighters, potentially surpassing Bowser for the #1 spot.
  2. Deceptively good air speed, preferably tied with Wario's air speed.
  3. Has Tough Guy mechanics, like Bowser.

Iblistech

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NeosCross
3DS FC
3179-6577-8881
Switch FC
SW-7096-0760-2425
I was literally over the moon when K. Rool got revealed at the end of the Direct. I'm so excited that he's in Smash!

Sponge

Smash Journeyman
BKupa666 BKupa666 I'm interested in signing that thank you letter! Thank you everyone who's held hope for K. Rool all these years.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I hope we get Kaptain K. Rool outfit and Baron K. Roolesntein outfit as an unlockable costume or DLC! I'd definitely pay for that!

Last edited:

Scicky

Smash Journeyman
  1. King K. Rool is among the top 3 heaviest fighters, potentially surpassing Bowser for the #1 spot.
I think these are pretty much guaranteed. The heaviest fighters right now I think are Bowser and DK, and K. Rool is canonically heavier than the latter. Would be surprised if he isn't tied with Bowser. Not sure about air speed, but Tough Guy mechanics are pretty much confirmed, with his FSmash shown beating out Bowser's FSmash in the trailer.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I dunno, 0:08 to 0:10 of his character demo doesn't seem to paint a great picture for his airspeed. And for that matter, his run speed doesn't look great either. That along with the trend of his moves having good to ok startup but punishable endlag means approaching isn't K. Rool's strong suit, but he's good at defending himself from pressure and forcing approaches himself with his projectile game.

I think these are pretty much guaranteed. The heaviest fighters right now I think are Bowser and DK, and K. Rool is canonically heavier than the latter. Would be surprised if he isn't tied with Bowser. Not sure about air speed, but Tough Guy mechanics are pretty much confirmed, with his FSmash shown beating out Bowser's FSmash in the trailer.
That wasn't armour, K. Rool's smash just hit first.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
A lot of the newer people here probably don't recognize me, but I was actually very active back between 2014 and the end of 2015 and a little over into 2016 in the K. Rool support thread. I became inactive outside of the Bandana Dee Social afterwards. When Ultimate was initially announced without a title in March, I tried to reconnect and spread my social interaction on this site to 5 support threads, those being of the characters in my signature. I overall failed to keep up though, and I apologize for not being more active here and the other threads aside from briefly celebrating Ridley's inclusion in his thread and acknowledging Bomberman's fate in his thread, and then of course celebrating K. Rool's inclusion here. I truly am grateful to everyone here for getting K. Rool, who I've wanted since post-Brawl, in Smash and saving him from being forgotten.

BKupa666 BKupa666 Your leadership may very well have been a huge factor in getting enough support to convince Sakurai to include K. Rool in Smash. You were always very mature, yet optimistic, regardless of the ups and downs we've had. You held us together like glue. Thank you the love and effort you put into this movement. I couldn't have asked for any better honestly.

I'm definitely going to at least stop by this thread from time to time up to Ultimate's release. And I am definitely maining K. Rool. I can't wait to fight you guys and the others with him in December.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
So...why does this board and Simon still not have updated pictures?
Seriously, what is up with this? I’ve already mentioned it once or twice, but we’re going on four days now without a proper thumbnail. I can’t help but wonder why it’s taking so long; did someone just forget?

This bothers me way more than it has any right to

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
That seems like too much heavy armor, since Bowser's Tough Guy mechanic only protects him from flinching against attacks that deal less than 19 units of knockback. King K. Rool probably gets super armor for his smash attacks, which could explain how he didn't flinch from Bowser's f-smash (which deals 23% damage uncharged).

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I had a cool idea, although it's probably never going to happen. I was thinking about the Crash and Spyro HD remakes, and I started thinking: What if Nintendo released a HD remake game of the first three DKC games, fully remade in HD 2.5D, complete with updated graphics and character looks, obviously including K. Rool?

Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
So you know those little 20 second character trailers? I just went through all of them on the official Smash Bros. Youtube channel, and K. Rool's is literally the only one to have broken 200,000 views. Ridley, who has had his trailer out far longer, was second place, with about 164,000.

The hype is real.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I have a question for all of you. When the Direct was ending with Sakurai on screen, and the screen started shaking, all before our king's trailer was shown, how many of you all thought it was going to be K. Rool that would be shown next in the following trailer?

I know I did.

Last edited:

Space Detective

Smash Journeyman
I have a question for all of you. When the Direct was ending with Sakurai on screen, and the screen started shaking, all before our king's trailer was shown, how many of you all thought it was going to be K. Rool that would be shown next in the following trailer?

I know I did.
I was in a state of pure confusion, and had no idea what was happening.

"wait what is this what's going on"

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908

I know I did.
When I saw/heard the screen shakes I became suspicious, but I didn’t want to jump to conclusions too early and get myself disappointed.

Then the villain/hero confrontations started rolling and I knew exactly what was going on. Sadly I was in a public place with headphones on, or I would have been screaming my head off with glee. :laugh:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
That seems like too much heavy armor, since Bowser's Tough Guy mechanic only protects him from flinching against attacks that deal less than 19 units of knockback. King K. Rool probably gets super armor for his smash attacks, which could explain how he didn't flinch from Bowser's f-smash (which deals 23% damage uncharged).

7:11, you can see he didn't actually get hit at all during his fsmash, so there's no proof of it having armour.

Seanp12

Smash Journeyman
To be fair, maybe it's a little disingenuous to neglect to mention Ganondorf when talking who's the most evil of Nintendo villains, but thought he wants to take over the world, he's always been kind of a sidelines villain imo. We don't see him torture or starve people, and do we really have a good vision of what his takeover would look like? if it's just destruction and monsters, then he's a generic cartoon villain twirling his black moustache. If he has a more nuanced approach where he truly thinks he'll be a better ruler than the Goddess Hylia, then for the love of Link SHOW US THAT STORY.
Actually, he does try to starve the Gorons in OoT (though it's their own fault for being picky about what rocks they eat). I don't recall any torture though. Most of Ganondorf's cruelty is subtle or unseen, like whatever he did during the OoT seven-year jump to turn Hyrule into a wasteland and stuff like attempted genocide of the Zoras in OoT and general tyranny as seen in every appearance except Wind Waker. And then of course there's BotW, where he's literally nothing but hatred for Link and Zelda's bloodlines.

But you do have a point. Ganondorf early on has no beef with Link and doesn't take him seriously until the end of OoT. Zelda's family he might despise, for reasons explained in WW, but it's not until TP, LttP, and BotW that he begins to just hate his enemies the way K. Rool does. In general, Ganondorf is a more dignified evil, while K. Rool and Ridley are more maniacal. Of course, with Ridley it's obvious, but with K. Rool, the cartoony style of the DK series makes his evil seem less so. After all, the Kongs often are the victims of slapstick humor, so it becomes easier to dismiss K. Rool's actions as being just part of the comedy. Ridley and Ganondorf, on the other hand, are always played dead serious, especially Ridley. The Mario hat spin was the first comedic thing he's done since the Zero Mission manga, and even that was dark.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

I know I did.
I thought it might have been a flub or something by the staff, but all doubt started to vanish as soon as the FMV part of the trailer started.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
with K. Rool, the cartoony style of the DK series makes his evil seem less so. After all, the Kongs often are the victims of slapstick humor, so it becomes easier to dismiss K. Rool's actions as being just part of the comedy. Ridley and Ganondorf, on the other hand, are always played dead serious, especially Ridley. The Mario hat spin was the first comedic thing he's done since the Zero Mission manga, and even that was dark.
Huh, I never thought about that. On one hand, K. Rool literally pistol whipping his kidnapping victim seems hardcore. On the other hand, the intensity of that could potentially be considered lessened when you consider he was pistol whipping the same guy who survived an explosion from a barrel of TNT thrown at him by his own grandpa. Alternatively, one could also argue that just makes Cranky more abusive than K. Rool.

Last edited:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816

I know I did.
I was watching with a friend, who was more objective than me, and not too interested in K. Rool, so when he noticed the shaking, he said it was K. Rool right away because the idea of K. Rool to him was not as surreal as it was to me. I wasn't ready to believe yet, then the little heroes vs. villains snippet showed up and I was starting to realize that this was actually happening. When DK showed up on the screen I started to lose it because I knew it was K. Rool. So much so that the DeDeDe fake-out didn't faze me because I knew there was no going back, my excitement wasn't going to be stopped. Then K. Rool actually showed up and at that point I was yelling from how happy I was. I had to watch the trailer again immediately because I didn't actually pay attention to the gameplay because of how excited I was. I couldn't stop talking about how happy I was about K. Rool for the next hour. It really was a dream come true.

Handy Man

Smash Ace

I know I did.
I was so scared at first, but right after the villain montage, everything just clicked and I immediately lost my ****.

StormC

Smash Hero

I know I did.
Logically, I thought it could only be him. Emotionally? I couldn’t comprehend what was happening.

Any doubt I had was gone during the villain montage.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
With K. Rool in, now I feel selfish wanting anything else for Smash Bros. Ultimate.
Same. Still, Sakurai playing the K. Rool card this early makes me hopeful he has something even bigger up his sleeve. I'm not *asking* for anything because hell, I'd be selfish to with him packing this much stuff into the game already *and* giving us the incredibly faithful K. Rool we dreamed of, but...I can think of a duo that might be even more earth-shattering.

Travix Man

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TravixMan
It took me this long to gather my thoughts, mostly due to my internet being out for three days. I was still able to watch the Direct on my phone with my brother and we were overjoyed that the king finally made his grand return to the spotlight.

I knew that the trademark from 2015 meant something for K. Rool's future. I knew that the Mii Costume meant something more and that the ballot was actually used for something else, even though I may have had a less than pleasant reaction at the time. I knew that King K. Rool would return one day, ever since the days of Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

When I watched the trailer on that fateful day, I knew something was up the moment I saw Klaptrap. When the screen shook at the end, I felt breathless. The Heroes vs Villains section instantly made us scream, "It's King K. Rool!" many times that by the time King Dedede's troll happened, we were just laughing and said, "Figured it would be Sakurai to troll us through Dedede." When the real King K. Rool smacked him out of the screen, our reactions were exactly like Donkey Kong and Diddy's reactions, except for the window shattering eyes popping out. (They need to go to a hospital after that...)

After years of wanting King K. Rool to return to the gaming world, after voting for him in the ballot and believing that he would return even when some of my friends doubted he would, my beliefs and theories are now vindicated as my favorite Nintendo and video game villain is being brought back into the spotlight by making his grand debut in Super Smash Bros Ultimate. It has been a wild and krazy ride, and I am glad that I could be a part of this kool fanbase of like-minded people who also want King K. Rool to return to the gaming world.

I know I posted on many pages back that I would parade with Finest Hour blaring, but I didn't do that on that day. Instead, I played Donkey Kong Country and Donkey Kong 64 with my brother and beat King K. Rool in those games, with me beating K. Rool two-three times in Donkey Kong Country and letting K. Rool win a few times. King K. Rool is still my favorite video game villain of all time, and I am ecstatic for his return. Although I got my most wanted character in Smash Ultimate, I will still support Dixie Kong, along with some other personal picks of mine. We have our king, so now let's give Dixie a hand.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'm going to be livid if the King of Krazy and The Cunning God of Death (Ridley) don't team up in story mode if it exists. The two most popular together is a requirement.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Oh yeah. I'm not specifically going to ask for anything else because holy ****, look how much we've gotten, but every ounce of support I have is going right to Dixie and Banjo.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I am still not over it! I have looked at all the relevant wikis just to soak it up. Like Mario wiki, SSBWiki, etc. "This marks his first appearance in a decade". Heck yeah it does.

Watching reaction vids from languages I don't even understand, anything I could find!!! Fans of all over going crazy for the return of KING KUH ROOL!

The official Nintendo press release on King K. Rool is a trip to read too!

And VERY PROUD of King K. Rool and the DK brand that his vids and his posts on social media give the legendary Simon Belmont, and even Inkling and Ridley, a run for their money!

Last edited:
Top Bottom