• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Out of kuriosity, what did Twitter/Facebook/Nintendo's Twitch look like sinde the announcement?

I bet there are people at Nintendo who still don't think that the Kroc is important or anything. It'd be interesting to see their reactions to our reactions. Are they going to see that people actually do want to see the King again?

Vez

Smash Apprentice
It felt really weird waking up today and realizing K. Rool is in Smash. I was overjoyed yesterday but it only really hit me today that he's actually a character in this game.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I'm still mind blowed that KKR is finally in. And he looks so good and full of charisma that it almost hurts. I'm very tempted to maining him!
I've rarely posted here, mostly because I couldn't keep with the rhythm of this tread, but I always wanted him in Smash since he is my favourite Donkey Kong character.
And after seeing that awesome CGI trailer I really hope they will use the character in future games in the series.

Anyway, kongratulations guys!

Last edited:

SmashingXan2

Smash Journeyman
The burying stomp doesn't appear to be his Down Smash, because you don't see the little star when he uses it. If you check the moveset thread you'll see what I mean as they have pictures there. Other than that change I agree with this 100%.

An interesting note is that King K Rool appears to jump whilst doing his spinebreaker up throw, which means it could potentially be used as a suicide up throw on stages with moving platforms or windboxes.

See 0:36 of this video for the sort of thing I am referring to:

We have Bowsercide, Ganoncide, Ridleycide, and now K.Rollcide

AIM0001

Smash Lord
The next step for me is to see if there is more awesome DKC music on the way along with Kaptain K. Rool’s theme. Kinda bummed he didn’t get a stage like Simon but honestly that means nothing because he’s here and I still can’t stop smiling. I’ve watched his trailer a shameless amount of times.

cothero

Smash Lord
I'm still in disbelief K. Rool is in the game. I'm watching the trailer over and over again, he looks so confident, superior, a true royalty. You did well Sakurai.

Bootortle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
J-Dudd
3DS FC
0259-0284-1711
Switch FC
SW-4554-3900-0616
I just realized I wasn't too far off in my "how he could work" video I posted a while back
including the down special counter, I guess

John Dylan Smith

Banned via Warnings
West Chester Township, Butler County, Ohio
Here's to hoping we'll also get to see some gameplay of Mr. Rool at a few tournaments (Like the Japanese Smash/Mario Tennis ones they've been posting on the Japanese Youtube page) before the games release and that is get his Boxing outfit, his mad Scientist, and his his pirate coat as alternate costumes for Smash Ultimate!

And congratulations everyone!!!! We finally reached our end goal "Gives The Two Thumbs Up"!!!!!!!!!

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
is anyone else still seeing Little Mac’s face instead of Simon and K. Rool in the characters subfourms? I know it’s not a huge deal, but it’s sure taking them a while to get the official renders in there.

Also can’t wait for K. Rool’s stock icon to become an emote, I’m gonna spam that thing everywhere

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
YES, HE HAS HIS BELLY SLAM FOR DONKEY KONG LAND!! DK Land is my favorite game of all time, I’m so happy it’s being recognized!

Untouch

Smash Master
Looks like the blunderbuss functions similarly to dedede's inhale, should allow him to deal with projectiles more easily. I don't want to speak early incase I'm wrong but it looks like his moveset remedies a lot of the problems heavyweights have.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
My only gripe with the reveal trailer was this: After D3 revealed himself, DK and Diddy should've just narrowed their eyes at him, with Diddy maybe shaking his head and rolling his eyes.

It would've given the perfect sense of "Oh great, he's at it again..." to that moment which would've both captured the fans' reactions, as well as implied that this perhaps wasn't the first time D3 had pulled stunts like this.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Out of kuriosity, what did Twitter/Facebook/Nintendo's Twitch look like sinde the announcement?

I bet there are people at Nintendo who still don't think that the Kroc is important or anything. It'd be interesting to see their reactions to our reactions. Are they going to see that people actually do want to see the King again?
I don't think Nintendo could ignore the reaction, K. Rool was one of the top Twitter trends yesterday and was Tweeted about over 40 million times according to a Twitter info post I saw.. Nintendo saw the reaction loud and clear, I have the official Smash Facebook page on my FB and the comments were posting so fast it was nuts. They can see now much we love K. Rool. I think that if his Amiibo sells well we may start seeing more of him. Notice that his redesign keeps him close to his modern appearance which many consider able to fit in the Mario series better.. I think his design has the purpose of making him more marketable alongside other Mario property characters. I truly feel that we will be getting more K. Rool sooner than later

StormC

Smash Hero
Just making sure I didn't dream all this. God DAMN.

I love the spin they put on the Gangplank Galleon theme, it suits the fast paced battles for Smash. but it also has a finale type feel different from other remixes. Has a triumphant sort of vibe with the trumpets/horns blaring with the signature part of the theme. Kind of reminds me of the Hoenn Elite Four Theme in the Pokemon Anime.

Can't wait to hear the whole thing, fingers crossed for an alt or two but that may be unlikely?

Dixie would just top it off.
To me, there's a triumphant nature to the new remix. Almost like it's saying "yes, he's really back!"

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
As a Ridley fan, but also someone who wanted K Rool in Smash (he's always been my second pick after Ridley)

SO HAPPY FOR HIM AND EVERYONE AND ALL OF YOU HERE ^_^

K Rool should've been in a long time ago. Glad he's gonna gotten his shine. Looking forward to seeing him in Ultimate.

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
GUYS! We mustn't quit wile we're ahead! Don't forget to support the Dixie Kong thread. It's now or never!

100 pages GOGOGO.

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman
Just had an insane realization about K. Rool that was staring us right in the face. Him lying face down on the ground looking beaten at the end of his trailer... IS his crouch animation. He goes directly from that pose into a backwards crawl. He doesn't roll or get up first... his crouching animation is literally him looking defeated. That's brilliant.

I was wrong, please ignore this post. You can see his real crouch in his reveal trailer right before he tries to pick up a banana. I'm so sorry to anyone I misled with my inattentiveness. I didn't realize that his crawling backwards was literally his rolling back animation, and I didn't know Smash 5 didn't have that flashing white effect for people who roll from the ground. Again, sorry guys.

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
It's worth noting in hindsight that Sakurai did this for you guys. For the hardcore Smash players and DK fans who had built this shrine for Rool. I'm not really one of these people because I like Rool and was definitely happy to see him in, but wasn't ultimately passionate about him either way. But ultimately he's in because of the explosive following you all created. And I say this because the point of contention about his relevancy and the scale of how iconic he is is a very valid point.

To put it into perspective, I've heard followers laughing off arguments about how modern kids don't know who K Rool is, hurting his chances. Well I just got done chatting with a couple coworkers, both of whom are my age, about the Smash reveal. Both of them are big-time gamers, especially one of them who is a Castlevania die-hard and plans on buying Ultimate to play Richter. They're both 27. Yet when I mentioned the highly desired King K Rool...

They had literally no idea who he was. They knew of Donkey Kong. They knew of Smash and have played in the past, but have been off the scene for quite some time. They were old enough to see DKC 1 launch and actually play it. Yet they had never even heard of DK's Bowser.

This demonstrates both how poorly he's been represented in his series and to gaming at large, as well as how powerful his fan support truly was to have still earned him a spot.

He's here, and it really boiled down to you guys, just like the Ridley supporters. You should feel proud.

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
I AM proud. :) My favourite Nintendo character ever. I am honoured to have been part of this movement. And I feel it made a difference. He's in Smash. He's gonna get a freaking AMIIBO. Now there's nothing stopping K. Rool from returning to his former glory. Returning to his roots as DK evil mastermind.

I'm proud to be alive in this day and age. <3

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
"King K Rool is a dead, irrelevant character."

38777304_2012014625527376_8119460391177682944_n.jpg

(I'm sorry, this image has just already become a meme amongst my friends since yesterday and I wanted the opportunity to use it)

cybersai

Smash Ace
Now that K. Rool is finally in, I hope a lot of you guys or DK fans in general throw support towards Dixie getting in.

The DK franchise still doesn't have perfect representation in Smash without Dixie.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I've heard followers laughing off arguments about how modern kids don't know who K Rool is, hurting his chances.
I have a younger friend, around 11 or so, who's a huge Mario fan, but isn't too familiar with the characters outside of the main spin-off characters (and Wart, who he somehow recognised instantly when I briefly mentioned Mario 2 in a conversation), so one time, while talking about Smash Ultimate, I mentioned I really wanted K. Rool in the game, and he didn't know who K. Rool is from name, so I described him as "the big, evil crocodile from the old Donkey Kong Country games" and he had a good idea of who I was talking about. it may not seem like much, but the fact he even had a clue as to who K. Rool despite being born only a year before his last major appearance (Super Sluggers) really proves he's a memorable character. (either that or it proves he reads the Mario wiki)

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Pretty much anyone who's talked about Smash on the internet since Brawl would know who K. Rool is. That's what mattered, and proves that the ballot was indeed driven by big Smash fans, not random casuals or kids.

Remember, K. Rool fans are just a vocal minority, having the most popular Smashboards thread means nothing.

Kongratulations, Kutthroats! I haven't been around for a long time, but I was still rooting for K. Rool and I'm really happy he finally made it in.

Last edited:

SeasideKingDumb

Smash Apprentice
I find it amazing that this character who the creator even didn't expect to last past the first DKC game (they even named him in 5 minutes lol) had such an impact on so many of us to the point where he was the most trending topic on Twitter in Japan yesterday. I honestly cannot wait to pick up Smash Ultimate when it comes around. If I get a choice in the matter King K. Rool is 100% the first character I'm unlocking.

Vycoul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vycoul
Just stopping by to say that while K. Rool was my most wanted newcomer in Smash 4, (he got my sole Ballot vote even) my enthusiasm for him had diminished a fair bit recently...

Until that reveal. Oh man, K. Rool looks better than I ever could have imagined. I really like how his moveset is inspired by all his boss appearances. And that run animation! It may not be true to his games, but I think it looks fantastic.

IMO K. Rool Kompletes the DKC universe representation. It feels really good to have the big three in the game. If is an option to sort the CCS by series it will be great to see them grouped together.
Now my only (admittedly greedy feeling) hope is that he fairs a little better than other heavyweights competitively.

I lurk here a lot, and reading how overjoyed you guys were after that reveal was really fun.
Also, I keep going to Newcomer Speculation every time I want to read this board. I wonder how long it will take me to adjust.

Last edited:

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
So guys, time for the big question... will K. Rool's Blunderbuss be able to fire off the spiked version of his kannonball and the colored gases that do different effects or do you think he'll only be able to fire off a kannonball and that's it?

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Pretty much anyone who's talked about Smash on the internet since Brawl would know who K. Rool is. That's what mattered, and proves that the ballot was indeed driven by big Smash fans, not random casuals or kids.

Remember, K. Rool fans are just a vocal minority, having the most popular Smashboards thread means nothing.
Yep this is what I'm saying. To a casual gamer, K Rool is pretty much unknown. To a serious gamer who has never delved into Smash speculation or played an old DKC game, he's equally unknown. But to a Donkey Kong fan and a Smash Bros fan, his character has been immortalized. He's an icon to the gamers that will buy Ultimate, the ones that will support future Donkey Kong games. And ultimately, isn't that what adding fan favorites is all about?

cybersai

Smash Ace
The DKC games were also ported to the GBA in the early 2000's, were on the Wii Virtual Console from 2007-2018 when it shut down, and were on the Wii-U Virtual console. And DKC1 is on the SNES classic.

Even for the kids too young to grow up in the SNES era, the DKC series was re-released a ton of times after that for 2000's kids.

Top Bottom