• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

cybersai

Smash Ace
Problem is I don't see a new "main" DK game coming out for awhile. Retro isn't working on another DK and Tropical Freeze just got ported this year, they don't have a team to make another DK game at the moment and Nintendo is treating Wii-U ports as "new releases" because most people never played them.

I honestly think Tropical Freeze will be the only main DK game on Switch, just like the port of Donkey Kong Country Returns was the only main DK game on 3DS.

If you realize it, we tend to only get one new DK game per console from N64 onward:

N64: DK64
Gamecube: Jungle Beat
Wii: DKCR
Wii-U and Switch: Tropical Freeze

And then King of Swing for GBA and Jungle Climber for DS.

Besides that there's just ports or spinoff games.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
How long until you all think the Ashley thread will pass us Kutthroats?
I'm not sure a thread's length matters

In the end, the only thing that actually matters is if the character makes it.

In the past, characters have had massive threads that didn't get in. And characters that had tiny threads did get in.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Smashboards is also just a tiny section on the internet. There's also the Smash discussions in reddit, gamefaqs, IGN, ResetEra, twitter, tumblr, discords, other various gaming or Nintendo sites, etc.

You can't judge popularity of a character on one website when the Smash fanbase literally consists of millions of people on hundreds of different sites online.

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
Exactly. This is the only place I've seen a discernible Ashley community. Not that's they aren't out there.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
It's just a fun goal by the Ashley thread. It doesn't really mean anything by itself.

I will note that having a large thread probably does have to do something with demand for the character. But it's not the only thing. For example, and imagine me looking at the camera right now, another factor involved in whether a character thread is large is whether the community in question specifically is trying to get bigger.

Other factors include what other venues people use to discuss the character. For example, I know this character support thread has a notable Discord.

Also, I wouldn't assume anything about when the next DK game may be coming. Let's keep an open mind.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Ridley and Geno had a competition for longest thread in Brawl. Which Geno technically won but mostly because Ridley threads got banned. Also because Ridley was deconfirmed as a SSE boss.

Neither got in that game. Or the next. It wasn't until now that Ridley finally got in

Last edited:

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Maybe a lot of us have the feeling that even if King K. Rool doesn't get in the base game thanks to an unlikely oversight of the Smash development team. His popularity and demand are so high that if DLC happens, it will also be a top contender.
After all, Mewtwo was left out of the base game of Smash 4 despite him being highly requested next to Ridley and K. Rool. So he was the first one to become DLC.

Mccdbz5

Smash Journeyman
Problem is I don't see a new "main" DK game coming out for awhile. Retro isn't working on another DK and Tropical Freeze just got ported this year, they don't have a team to make another DK game at the moment and Nintendo is treating Wii-U ports as "new releases" because most people never played them.
We have no idea what Retro's working on. It very well could be a new Donkey Kong game. Or it could be something entirely different. But let's not sit here and pretend like we know what game they're making. I honestly don't understand why no one considers this a possibility. Like, there's just absolutely no way Retro could be doing another Donkey Kong...that's what people thought after Returns as well and we see how that turned out. I think it's more likely that they're working on another Donkey Kong than something else, but that's just me.

I honestly think Tropical Freeze will be the only main DK game on Switch, just like the port of Donkey Kong Country Returns was the only main DK game on 3DS.

If you realize it, we tend to only get one new DK game per console from N64 onward:

Again, this is a pretty big assumption. And by that logic, Returns wouldn't have been released because Jungle Beat was ported to the Wii. I don't think Tropical Freeze being ported to the Switch has any bearing on the possibility of another Donkey Kong game coming out on the system. I think they just saw an opportunity with Tropical Freeze, as it was a phenomenal game that a lot of people missed out on, and also happened to be from their fourth best selling franchise (not including the Wii series), and was most likely relatively easy to port. If anything, I think it's even more likely that we get another Donkey Kong game, because now the series is fresh in people's minds and there's a lot of people who are going to want to play more because of how great a game Tropical Freeze is. And I know these are just your opinions, but I just thought I'd offer my two cents.

Last edited:

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
K.Rool has been my most wanted newcomer since Melee, but it gets harder and harder to believe that he'll make it into the game with each new release.
Personally, I think that if he doesn't make it into the base game this time, its just not going to happen.
I hate to sound pessimistic, but he's had so many chances to get into the game at this point. I imagine the idea of including him would have popped up occasionally over the course of the last 4 development cycles. At this point it feels like they've already made up their minds about it.

Then again, it finally happened for Ridley, so who knows. If Metroid is finally getting some love in Smash, I really hope they do so for Donkey Kong too. The series really deserves it.

Jimmy42893

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jimmy42893

The pessimist in me is inclined to agree with you, but the optimist in me can't ignore Nintendo's description of the Tropical Freeze Switch port: "Barrel-blast into a critically acclaimed Donkey Kong adventure as this beloved franchise makes its Nintendo Switch™ debut with a banana-bunch of new features." Unless it's just careless word choice, the word "debut" implies that the Tropical Freeze port is only the first of several DK games on the Switch. (Plus, it's always nice to see them refer to DK as a "beloved franchise." :love:)

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I need this character in Smash.... Hope the Smash Gods are in favor of K. Rool this time... I say it all the time. This game will not be "ultimate" if Donkey Kong still has such small representation.. Give us something. Newcomers, ATs, new stages, new music, etc... Either Dixie or K Rool has got to be in..at this point one would think...

Last edited:

Space Detective

Smash Journeyman
I think we'll probably be slowing down soon actually, since there isn't any events that could have a reveal any time soon (aside for maybe Gamescom), and the WarioWare Gold hype train has slowed down now that it's actually out.

That said, these are only my feelings as things currently stand. If there is a Direct announcement or a tease towards news at Gamescom, I expect activity to shoot back up.

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
I need this character in Smash.... Hope the Smash Gods are in favor of K. Rool this time... I say it all the time. This game will not be "ultimate" if Donkey Kong still has such small representation.. Give us something. Newcomers, ATs, new stages, new music, etc... Either Dixie or K Rool has got to be in..at this point one would think...
Preach! Also your sig inspires poetry.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Never

Maybe a lot of us have the feeling that even if King K. Rool doesn't get in the base game thanks to an unlikely oversight of the Smash development team. His popularity and demand are so high that if DLC happens, it will also be a top contender.
After all, Mewtwo was left out of the base game of Smash 4 despite him being highly requested next to Ridley and K. Rool. So he was the first one to become DLC.
If K. Rool is in he'll be in he base game thanks to the ballot. Mewtwo missed the base game because he hadn't been relevant in a while when the roster was made but then his popularity surged back when Mega Mewtwo Y was revealed.

Last edited:

ThatRedPlumber

Smash Apprentice
I literally joined Smashboards with one of my biggest intentions being to immediately pledge support to Dixie Kong and K. Rool. Both of these absolute gems of characters are tied for my most wanted newcomer for Smash Ultimate. Daddy Sakurai Please! Smash needs a 3rd DK rep more than anything!!

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I literally joined Smashboards with one of my biggest intentions being to immediately pledge support to Dixie Kong and K. Rool. Both of these absolute gems of characters are tied for my most wanted newcomer for Smash Ultimate. Daddy Sakurai Please! Smash needs a 3rd DK rep more than anything!!
Welcome. You're One of Us now!

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I still will never understand their lack of inclusion.

Perhaps I think the 90s are just fantastic from my own personal nostalgia.

osby

Smash Obsessed

If I recall correctly, a big part of the roster comes from 1990-1999 period.

ThatRedPlumber

Smash Apprentice

For me, it’s because Donkey Kong has been one of my favorite video game franchises since I was a kid and it honestly feels like something is missing from Smash with Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong bring the only 2 DK reps.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
The N64 era honestly has almost no representation outside of a couple of Ocarina of Time nods, which is ironic considering the first Smash game owes its allegiance to that platform

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
The DKC trilogy and DK64 are some of the games that helped define my childhood. It's almost criminal that Dixie and K Rool haven't been added to Smash yet.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The N64 era honestly has almost no representation outside of a couple of Ocarina of Time nods, which is ironic considering the first Smash game owes its allegiance to that platform
It's shameful, it shouldn't be treated like the frickin' Virtual Boy. As such, Banjo-Kazooie have to be in here to help address this issue (also, at least 2/3rds of the DK Crew, though it'd be more gravy than anything else)

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Can any DK experts tell me why Kongs hate Kremlings so much? Kremlings love them!

Free hugs for all Kongs!

They even provide free head -- I mean hair cutting services. Just for Kongs!

Last edited:

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
Who from the N64 era would there be to represent, though? A lot of the flagship series in that era were doing their first outings in 3D, and few of those actually introduced new characters, most just used the ones already established. I can only think of a couple legitimate candidates yet to be in - like Banjo, Skull Kid, and Paper Mario. The rest of the characters from major N64 games are either third-party or were previously established in the NES or SNES eras. This includes K. Rool. I suppose there's also Lanky/Tiny/Chunky, but there are like four other DK characters who would take priority over any of them.

In regards to DLC, I can see why people think if he's not in the base game he won't be DLC. If the Ballot and K. Rool's overwhelming popularity and support weren't enough to get him in the base game, I have a hard time seeing him made as DLC. But I'd still hold on to some hope, of course. The real worst case scenario is that he'll be an Assist Trophy. Becuase even if Waluigi gets the playable upgrade in the form of DLC, I can't see K. Rool having that same level of outcry, even with his popularity.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace

I think, as much as I hate to say it, that there is a bit of a bias towards characters created locally in Japan.
Characters created or designed outside of Japan seem to have a tougher time making it into the series for whatever reason.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
The answer is Banjo.

He really should be a big target for inclusion for Sakurai to represent this era

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
You know what would be nice is if Chunky Kong got at least a trophy this time around. That poor dude hasn't been seen in 3D since DK64.

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
Check the EVO VODs, or the subreddit. It literally just happened.

No matter what happens or who is confirmed/deconfirmed, we'll be getting some new info. The time has finally come.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
We might not get a character though.

There was a credible source, apparently, that said there would be an early August direct that just had game modes.

I can't remember if the date matches or not

Top Bottom