• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
I'm really starting to think they're going to make us wait so long we start to believe what Sakurai said about not many more characters.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Just wait. We may get like 4-5 newcomers in the coming months, a crap load of reveals for modes in november, and a couple hidden characters post-launch.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
I'm really starting to think they're going to make us wait so long we start to believe what Sakurai said about not many more characters.
As soon as he said that, I set my expectations on 5 newcomers (including Ridley and Inkling).
I don't mean to sound pessimistic because K.Rool is my most wanted character of all time, but yeah I'm not expecting anything more than 3 additional newcomers.

Echoes are a whole different story though. No idea how many of those to expect.

cybersai

Smash Ace
The problem with only 5 newcomers (not counting echoes), is we're essentially half done:

1. Inklings
2. Ridley
3. Simon Belmont (assuming this is true)
4. New Pokemon rep

So the 5th character would be a competition between Dixie, K. Rool, Ashley, Geno, etc....which is ridiculous. I feel there has to be at least 8 newcomers at the minimum to give us a decent amount of new characters and cover the bases of some of the last majorly requested characters. I also don't think we'll get many echoes because there's not many characters who can share identical movesets and share the same height/body shape.

Knowing Sakurai is a work-a-holic and puts 110% of work into every game, and how much he likes to please fans, I find it hard to believe the game will only launch with 5 new characters. Sakurai knows the hype between each new Smash is the newcomers.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
I personally do not believe K. Rool will be an Assist Trophy. That'd be a little strange. After Ridley, he's the new number one fan request. It would have been like either putting Rid back as a boss or even an Assist. Sakurai wants to go out with a bang.
I don't think #1 requested is accurate. K. Rool has historically been the more requested character, it's just Ridley had more attention due to how contentious he was. Most eyes are on K.Rool now due to Ridley being in the game. Both good and bad, with the relevancy debate being the new too big.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The problem with only 5 newcomers (not counting echoes), is we're essentially half done:

1. Inklings
2. Ridley
4. New Pokemon rep

So the 5th character would be a competition between Dixie, K. Rool, Ashley, Geno, etc....which is ridiculous. I feel there has to be at least 8 newcomers at the minimum to give us a decent amount of new characters and cover the bases of some of the last majorly requested characters. I also don't think we'll get many echoes because there's not many characters who can share identical movesets and share the same height/body shape.

Knowing Sakurai is a work-a-holic and puts 110% of work into every game, and how much he likes to please fans, I find it hard to believe the game will only launch with 5 new characters. Sakurai knows the hype between each new Smash is the newcomers.
That's also assuming Isabelle is an echo and not a fully unique newcomer. :p

StormC

Smash Hero
If anything, King K Rool and Ashley are safe bets for DLC if they don't make it to the base game.
I don't see why K. Rool is automatically likely for DLC if he's passed over for the base game.

Sakurai stated during E3 that the #1 goal of the game was bringing back every old fighter. He's putting it out there to expect less newcomers.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I don't think #1 requested is accurate. K. Rool has historically been the more requested character, it's just Ridley had more attention due to how contentious he was. Most eyes are on K.Rool now due to Ridley being in the game. Both good and bad, with the relevancy debate being the new too big.
Being too big didn't stop Ridley, and there was that trademark on his name around when the plan was finalized.

John Dylan Smith

Banned via Warnings
West Chester Township, Butler County, Ohio

1. Inklings
2. Ridley
4. New Pokemon rep

Would you all please stop acting like the Verbagen leaks are legit and the character's he mentioned are in the game and that six new character's is all were getting!

As far as I'm Aware! All the things mentioned in Verbagen's leaks have NOT been confirmed for Smash Bros Ultimate yet! We should just wait until an official Super Smash Bros Ultimate Announcement comes before we jump to the conclusion that says Mr. V is correct (REMEMBER, This Guy Isn't Always Correct About Information)!

And No! Just because he got Ridley right doesn't mean he's fully legit with his other leaks (He also said that Simon Belmont was going to be in the game, and yet, Simon was not shown at E3 at all)!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Would you all please stop acting like the Verbagen leaks are legit and the character's he mentioned are in the game and that six new character's is all were getting!

As far as I'm Aware! All the things mentioned in Verbagen's leaks have NOT been confirmed for Smash Bros Ultimate yet! We should just wait until an official Super Smash Bros Ultimate Announcement comes before we jump to the conclusion that says Mr. V is correct (REMEMBER, This Guy Isn't Always Correct About Information)!

And No! Just because he got Ridley right doesn't mean he's fully legit with his other leaks (He also said that Simon Belmont was going to be in the game, and yet, Simon was not shown at E3 at all)!
He never said Simon was an E3 reveal though.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace

So much this.

Can we please stop giving this guy credibility just because he was lucky and got Ridley right?

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
Being too big didn't stop Ridley, and there was that trademark on his name around when the plan was finalized.
I'm just pointing out that prior to Ridley making it into the game, most argued against his inclusion because he was too big. K. Rool detractors are using the relevancy card against his inclusion much the same way.

Draugen

Smash Apprentice
Just a thought: if the game's theme is indeed something like heroes vs villains, as suggested by gamefaqs user loz18, and considering that the initial roster will be the original 8 from Smash 64, isnt it possible that we could consider K.Rool in?
Because the other 7 already have "villains" that match, Donkey Kong is the only one without one.
Again: just a thought. What do you think?

Jimmy42893

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jimmy42893
If we don't get a character reveal this month I'm gonna start thinking we aren't getting any character reveals and they're gonna pull a "Melee" and have the last remaining newcomers be secret unlocks once the game releases. Nintendo DOESN'T need to reveal new characters for hype for this game to sell. The fact that EVERY Smash character is returning and the game has almost every stage returning as well will sell this game alone. Not to mention this is Smash Bros. on the Switch not the Wii U. Where back in the Wii U days Nintendo needed every bit of promotion they could get to try and move consoles and they used Smash Bros character reveals to try and hide the fact that there would be MONTHS with no new games, Switch doesn't have that problem.

We also don't know how many newcomers are actually left. All we know is not to expect as many as previous entries. We could only have like 3 newcomers left for all we know might as well just leave them in the game for us to find out when we are constantly unlocking characters. I mean from what I gathered online and I know for a fact the general audience doesn't really care but I haven't seen THAT many people online unhappy by the fact that we aren't getting a lot of newcomers I mostly see people praising the fact that EVERYONE is here/back. I doubt their are people out there that WON'T buy this game if characters like K.Rool, Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, Simon Belmont, etc. aren't revealed pre-launch. People are going to buy this game (as well as the lackluster online service) regardless because it's Smash Bros.
I agree that Nintendo doesn't need to reveal any new characters to get people to buy the game, but considering the hit that their stock price took after E3, I don't think they'll want to wait until launch to reveal something new.

As soon as he said that, I set my expectations on 5 newcomers (including Ridley and Inkling).
I don't mean to sound pessimistic because K.Rool is my most wanted character of all time, but yeah I'm not expecting anything more than 3 additional newcomers.

Echoes are a whole different story though. No idea how many of those to expect.
I thought the exact same thing. (In fact, earlier in the video when he said "Every fighter, ever, is here. We believe that's what players want, so we've made the impossible possible," I thought we weren't getting ANY newcomers besides Inkling. Thankfully, Daisy and Ridley proved me wrong on that count.)

I don't see why K. Rool is automatically likely for DLC if he's passed over for the base game.
Agree 100%. If the ballot results and fan demand haven't already prompted them to add K. Rool to the base game, then I don't see what would prompt them to add him after launch.

Space Detective

Smash Journeyman

Simon also isn't even his own prediction, too. Someone did some digging and found Stealth_ (also a sketchy "leaker") predicted Simon and even a Castlevania compilation before Vergeben did.
So even in the event that Simon gets in, it does Vergeben's credibility no good.

cybersai

Smash Ace
8-10 newcomers is still less than Smash ever had. This is still a big release, not counting DLC, I can't see an all new Smash launching with 5 characters.

This is Sakurai, people. He works himself to death, better or worse. Remember how he worked while sick or had his hand in pain during Brawl and Smash U? Or never took a vacation? Or got Melee out in 2 years after Smash 64?

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
I don't take the Vergedude leaks too seriously. Maybe he's lucky, maybe has some info not always correct, maybe he enjoys dropping true and false info, maybe is Sakurai himself... His rating is not 100% correct, enough for me. Also, people gets very literal and imaginative with the leaks and info. Sakurai said that we wouldn't have so many newcomers this time, but in SmashU we get a ton. Only one less and still it is true. Last Verge leaks are about PKMNs who didn't get in, but maybe a new PKMN is not in. Your choice, words can be twisted in many different ways.
And talking about K. Rool.... He's awesome.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
A pessimistic thought on the hero vs villain concept:

I think Nintendo sees Donkey Kong himself as almost a villain, at least in the Mario series considering his original game and even to this day with him on the same row as all of the villains of the Mario series in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
8-10 newcomers is still less than Smash ever had. This is still a big release, not counting DLC, I can't see an all new Smash launching with 5 characters.

This is Sakurai, people. He works himself to death, better or worse. Remember how he worked while sick or had his hand in pain during Brawl and Smash U? Or never took a vacation? Or got Melee out in 2 years after Smash 64?
If I'm not mistaken, even 10 newcomers would still be less newcomers that any previous Smash game.

My expectations are low, but I think expecting 8-10 newcomers is reasonable.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord

64 only had 12 newcomers so I can see 8 unique and four echo

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero

8 original newcomers would be equal to Melee.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
King K. Rools chances haven't budged past what they've been since we saw the teaser for Smash Ult.... I think some of us need to relax.

Text leaks are text leaks no matter who's name is on them and I don't believe anything until I see it. That being said even IF Veggyburger is correct I don't see how any of this spells doom for K. Rool...

If we go by his supposed info then we have Isabelle, Simon, and Gen 7 pokemon, he said there's 'at least' half a dozen newcomers. Which means it's up in the air, still plenty of room for K. Rool. It's not any worse than before.

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
I was 50-50 on Verg before, less so after he brought up Isabelle. But his manner in talking about the Gen 7 Pokemon has completely turned me against believing him. If he had real information he would have outright said the Pokemon, but he just said one that it wasn't Decidueye (the most popular choice), and then later that it wasn't Mimikyu or Lycanroc (arguably the next most popular choices besides Incineroar). To me that reeks of the same attention-seeking behavior of all the other fake leakers.

I'm aware he and/or his sources have gotten stuff right in the past about other games, but at this point it seems very possible he's just saying nonsense after he getting E3 right.

I'm far more inclined to believe loz18 at this point, if I had to pick a "leaker" to follow. Plus a Heroes vs. Villains theme would be hype, and would be a great sign for the Kroc.

Oh, but if he is right then my hopes are with Buzzwole all the way, or maybe Golisopod. But again, even if he is, this still of course does not affect the Kroc. People were expecting an Alola Pokemon anyway.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
There is still the thought that Incineroar would tie into a hero/villain theme as a heel Pokemon. Not to mention the possibility of Dark Samus as an echo.

I'll believe Vergeben's claims when I see them, but it's something to think about.

Last edited:

Lunatros

Smash Cadet
Apparently loz18's post about an August direct featuring Menus was also sourced from Stealth, and I believe that also lines up with a Lloyd Irving leak from a while back. As I understand it, Stealth likes giving false information, and has somewhat of a bad reputation among the "leaker" crowd.

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I was 50-50 on Verg before, less so after he brought up Isabelle. But his manner in talking about the Gen 7 Pokemon has completely turned me against believing him. If he had real information he would have outright said the Pokemon, but he just said one that it wasn't Decidueye (the most popular choice), and then later that it wasn't Mimikyu or Lycanroc (arguably the next most popular choices besides Incineroar). To me that reeks of the same attention-seeking behavior of all the other fake leakers.

I'm aware he and/or his sources have gotten stuff right in the past about other games, but at this point it seems very possible he's just saying nonsense after he getting E3 right.

I'm far more inclined to believe loz18 at this point, if I had to pick a "leaker" to follow. Plus a Heroes vs. Villains theme would be hype, and would be a great sign for the Kroc.
Yep, totally agree. Only someone who wants tons of attention would deconfirm all three of the top gen 7 pokemon for that spot. And stuff like Ice Climbers were easy guesses due to them only being excluded because of 3ds technical issues, and Ridley was in tons of leaks before anyway.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
We’ll get a better idea after the next reveal on the overall roster beyond just the one character revealed

Mccdbz5

Smash Journeyman
Is anyone else of the mindset that they could be waiting to announce King K. Rool alongside the announcement of a new Donkey Kong title? Think about it; Nintendo said that they have more titles to announce this year, and with the E3 Direct being so Smash focused, maybe they pocketed that announcement since it's further off in terms of a release date, and it gives them the opportunity to throw in a Smash character reveal alongside the reveal at a later date. Also, we still have no clue as to what Retro Studios has been working on this entire time, and I personally believe it's another Donkey Kong Country game. Call me crazy, but I just feel that two games is such a weird number to end a series on, and it's hard to come up with what else they could possibly be working on if it's not an entirely new IP. I never believed the Starfox Grand Prix rumor. Insiders were saying that Retro Studios was working on two projects, with one potentially being cancelled due to a rough development cycle. I find it more likely that Starfox Grand Prix was the rumored canceled title, as I feel that people would not be as tight lipped about a canned project as opposed to an ongoing one.

That's my crazy theory any who. I personally think that Retro Studios wants to send the franchise off that way, and what better way to announce King K. Rool than in a direct alongside the announcement of a new Donkey Kong Country game, featuring the king of course!

Last edited:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Is anyone else of the mindset that they could be waiting to announce King K. Rool alongside the announcement of a new Donkey Kong title? Think about it; Nintendo said that they have more titles to announce this year, and with the E3 Direct being so Smash focused, maybe they pocketed that announcement since it's further off in terms of a release date, and it gives them the opportunity to throw in a Smash character reveal alongside the reveal at a later date. Also, we still have no clue as to what Retro Studios has been working on this entire time, and I personally believe it's another Donkey Kong Country game. Call me crazy, but I just feel that two games is such a weird number to end a series on, and it's hard to come up with what else they could possibly be working on if it's not an entirely new IP. I never believed the Starfox Grand Prix rumor. Insiders were saying that Retro Studios was working on two projects, with one potentially being cancelled due to a rough development cycle. I find it more likely that Starfox Grand Prix was the rumored canceled title, as I feel that people would not be as tight lipped about a canned project as opposed to an ongoing one.

That's my crazy theory any who. I personally think that Retro Studios wants to send the franchise off that way, and what better way to announce King K. Rool than in a direct alongside the announcement of a new Donkey Kong Country game, featuring the king of course!
I could get behind that idea. The Tropical Freeze port has sold quite well, and this would be a great time to bring back the DKC series with King K Rool and the Kremlings as the villains.

Draugen

Smash Apprentice

That is one of my crazy theories too. And I also saw that on a couple 4chan fake leaks about some future Nintendo Direct. They even gave some crazy titles, like DKC: K. Rool returns; Origins; etc. It would be the perfect time to announce the King on Smash.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
We could possibly get an HD remake of the original DKC trilogy.
Never going to happen. But that'd be good.

I think a cool option would be the ability to have any of the kongs in all 3 games.

like, having Dixie in DKC or Donkey in DKC2

D

Deleted member

All rumors and leaks are fake till proven otherwise.

The fuss this caused was big but we will find out more soon.

Well till then I'll enjoy how this plays out.

It's more entertaining then anything.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just read a comment of someone saying DKC1 had the best soundtrack of any DKC game and DKC2's suck

There is such thing as having an opinion

But there is such thing as just being plain wrong

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Yes, like people who say the next 3D DK game should be scored exclusively by Grant Kirkhope. Yeah, I said it. He's really talented but not the best fit for DK.

We need David Wise and even Eveline Fischer for a 3D game too.

Kirkhope can remix a few special tracks. But otherwise, I think his music is a little too whimsical for DK whose music should sound more "earthy".

Top Bottom