• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
will be little worried IF we dont get any reveal in the next REAL nintendo direct.

edit .: miss some R

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
The only thing that I think potentially hurts King K Rool at this point is the fact I’m increasingly convinced we really do only have a handful of additions newcomers. After all the fanfare I’ve seem surrounding him and this being a game for fans, it only makes sense for him to be in Ultimate.

That said, I’ve been burned before, and it’s possible with such limited newcomers we’re not getting the fan picks so many of us have hopped on board with after the reveal. With continued focus on the relevant characters.

I don’t believe that’s the case, but I could see the reality still.

Though that’s the only way I see him not in this game. He’s gotten to be just too big a part of the Smash community to be ignored and not included.

And I really hope he is the next reveal. I know people say he’s too big of a reveal after Ridley, but he’d be a huge boon to continued hype and a much larger worldwide pick. So I think it’s possible he could be next. I also just want to be able to say I’m entirely satisfied with the newcomers regardless after his reveal.

StormC

Smash Hero
People here are going crazy just because we haven't gotten a newcomer the month after E3... even though that almost never happens.

Wait until August comes and goes without an announcement before freaking out.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
i'm talking about the guys who think that we will get no reveal at all.
:)
Ah. Still, that is a possibility, but if that happens then expect K Rool to be DLC. To all those who are concerned, there is no way that Sakurai does not know about King K. Rool's popularity. He is practically guaranteed a spot in my eyes.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm legit a little worried that we already know the whole roster... Someone reassure me... :confused:
I was just thinking that. What if "don't expect too many newcomers, but here is one" meant "There is only 1 newcomer other than Inkling. Here it is"

Last edited:

SeasideKingDumb

Smash Apprentice
I feel like all the negativity here is probably a knee jerk reaction to the July 22 leak not being true. It's been 1 month since the initial reveal happened and not a single other character has been announced. We're in the exact same boat as we were before the leak dropped.

As much as Smash Bros. is Sakurai's vision, Nintendo is still a business and if they see marketing potential in a character, they will capitalize on it. Ridley didn't fit in Sakurai's vision, both literally and figuratively, and he outright said it would be impossible. And then, after enough people wanted him, guess what, he's in Smash 5, with Sakurai admitting that he's wrong.

I think a lot of people here want K. Rool's return to be this phenomenal, Ridley-esque moment where he returns not only to DK but to Nintendo all at once. The sad truth is that big entrance may not happen. However, to say that nothing has come since Smash 4 is a huge understatement. They gave him a Mii costume with a brand new design. If they didn't think he would sell / didn't like him, why would they acknowledge him with the costume? Why would they trademark him if they didn't see he had potential? Again, Nintendo is a business and they wouldn't put their money and resources into a character if they didn't feel like they could make money off of it.

I'm not saying that he is definitely going to be in Smash 5. In fact I'm thinking the chances of him getting in are 50/50 at best. But giving up hope completely is, imo, the wrong way to look at it. There was more progress made to get him back in the limelight in one year during the ballot than there was in the previous 10 where Nintendo literally abandoned him. The truth is that they aren't going to go all in on a character immediately, they probably tested the waters with the Mii costume and are seeing how they can integrate him into their games. If he isn't in Smash 5, it isn't the end of the world. Even if he just gets acknowledged as an Assist Trophy, while that wouldn't be ideal, is still better than the character being dead for 10 years.

Also, we have 5 full months to go before the game releases. There are so many things that can change between now and December and being upset just because one leak was proven wrong isn't the right perspective, imo. I mean, as others have said, all we can do is wait, really, but we shouldn't give up hope now.

StormC

Smash Hero
There is 0 chance we have seen the final roster. You guys are silly. Go outside and pet a dog or something.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Do you guys think King K. Rool should make the jump sound from DKC he makes in his boss battle when he jumps normally? Would that be annoying or nostalgic?

cothero

Smash Lord
For those wondering about the July 27th leak

Here it is

> On July 27th, we will get a Nintendo Direct
> Here it is. Take it with a grain of salt.
> It will start off right away with Yoshi running and then it goes straight to gameplay of the Yoshi game, titled Yoshi's Craft World. Releasing March 2018.
> Dark Souls releasing 24
> Injustice 2, 2019
> Nintendo Selects for Switch
> Fortnite Nintendo Only Skins based on Metroid, Splatoon, after direct.
> Legends Of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD, holiday 2018
> Chibi-Robo: Plugged, holiday 2018
> Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes, January 2019
> Mario Maker Port, holiday 2018
> Dr. Mario Switch, September 2018
> New Donkey Kong Country game Donkey Kong Country: Origins, characters playable are Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong, Cranky Kong, Funky Kong, then King K. Rool after you finish the game.
> Final Announcement: King K. Rool and Dixie Kong smash trailer

Nintendo Switch Classics? That's not happening anytime soon.
"> New Donkey Kong Country game Donkey Kong Country: Origins, characters playable are Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong, Cranky Kong, Funky Kong, then King K. Rool after you finish the game."

Hah. Hahaha. HahahahaHAHAHA... HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
I'll be honest. I'm getting concerned and pessimistic too. Some of it has to do with Daisy, a character that rots in spinoffs, getting in Smash before DK's main big bad and my favourite Nintendo character, echo or otherwise. But my hope is not COMPLETELY gone. That thing about being about fan demand is very promising.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I'll be honest. I'm getting concerned and pessimistic too. Some of it has to do with Daisy, a character that rots in spinoffs, getting in Smash before DK's main big bad and my favourite Nintendo character, echo or otherwise. But my hope is not COMPLETELY gone. That thing about being about fan demand is very promising.
No offense, but literally nothing has changed to make you feel this way, we haven't gotten new information in over a month.

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
S SeasideKingDumb I guarantee you my feelings aren't due to the BS July 22th leak. I've felt this way going on four years now since the final roster was shown for Smash For and the end of the DLC. I deliberately feel Sakurai does not care for Donkey Kong, or else and this is just my theory on it - he could have easily added a Dixie dessert when Tropical Freeze was announced. Compared Dr. Mario to Mario and there's no excuse why it couldn't have happened, even as DLC. Why couldn't she have slipped through the cracks as well? Those costumes were just that - costumes. It's very Sakurai-like to put extra details in a small trivial thing just to 'impress'. Back to the desserts (His own words and I'll never stop using it, even with the echo label now a thing and calling Dark Pit of all things a dessert), my real issue was that there weren't enough of them and the ones offered had a mixed reaction, for good reason. I'd say at least two more (Dixie, Alph) would have balanced the roster a little better. I don't want her to be a simple Diddy skin with pink jet barrels and girly animations, but at the very least that would have been okay back then. I'm seriously not getting my hopes up for K. Rool. I'm not even anticipating Dixie who has a far better chance of making it in based on what Donkey Kong has been given in comparison to the other IP's.

Given Sakurai's status with the late Iwata, I don't think Nintendo will intervene too much with his vision or his plans. They trust him to make a best-selling product and that's what really matters. This is not being negative or pessimistic, this is the cold reality. Sakurai is a human being and is just as capable of being biased and preferential as the rest of us, it's a matter of whether you like his preferences or not.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
No offense, but literally nothing has changed to make you feel this way, we haven't gotten new information in over a month.
I think that’s the reason a lot of us are a little on edge and acting a little more pessimistic. Yes, nothing has changed, and that’s the issue. The blog has provided very little we weren’t already aware of from the initial reveal at E3 (Until today arguably with the Mii fighters and how they’re being handled).

That wouldn’t usually be so bad, but lots of people have convinced themselves we’d be getting a reveal per month til release given the trancated hype cycle that is really only 6 months between reveal and release. With such a short time frame to build hype and reveal pre-release content, the assumption to many is that we’d be seeing new content sooner rather than later. We haven’t, and with the end of July fast approaching that crushes the idea of the one per month theory.

From that line of thinking, you can extrapolate to people believing that’s sakurai’s comments about not expecting too many newcomers are much more serious than first thought. People have been hoping in the 7-10 range, but with less time to reveal characters, that range gets smaller and smaller. Which means fewer new characters, and in a game where things are looking bright for fan picks, that’s going to create a lot of anxiety. Ultimate has in a lot of ways become the place of the hopeful for long requested and desired characters, with people going as far as to say this is the last chance some characters have in Smash.

When you put that all together, the picture starts to make sense of the growing concern and potential negativity. Fewer spots likely means more disagreement, and things could easily become ugly with arguments over certain characters taking precedent over others. Add to that the potential of a less notable or requested pick taking a spot, and things are likely to get worse.

We’ve always been a community that analyzes and speculated to near the point of absurdity because we love the franchise. With nothing to new to analyze, we’re running circles and getting more riled up. That’s why we need some news. If just to have something new to talk about and understand really where the game is headed direction wise for newcomers.

I’ve been team 5-6 unique additional newcomers at most, so I’m not too terribly concerned yet, but I see why others are. Things are only going to get worse for us until something concrete comes out of Nintendo.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
K. Rool is just as likely now as he's been since Ultimate was announced. We've had nothing to deconfirm him yet... and honestly we've had quite the lack of DK content shown off for ultimate so far. I HIGHLY doubt that in a game where it seems Sakurai is addressing criticism with changes that we won't get more DK content since that's one of the big complaints from fans... surely DK content will be shown alongside a newcomer or newcomers...we're absolutely getting a new DK character in this game, be it K. Rool or Dixie or possibly both... we're getting a new DK rep.

StormC

Smash Hero
I expect whatever newcomer gets announced next will generate a lot of complaining and hurt feelings. Now that people are realizing that Sakurai was very serious about "not too many new challengers," (something Treehouse doubled down on at Comic-Con), the next character, no matter what, will get a lot of people upset because they "stole a spot," and now other characters' prospects grow ever narrower. It isn't like pre-E3 where we could gleefully fantasize about a 10+ newcomer roster.

It's only going to get uglier the closer it gets to release. Let's try to remain positive until the King is in our sights.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I think if there is anything handled poorly with Ultimate, it’s the Newcomer situation. I think being up front with the degree of newcomers would have been a much smarter move. The vague I’m hoping you aren’t expecting too many newcomers was just that. Needlessly vague, especially when Sakurai has said similar things and that meant relatively litttle.

I think it’s completely fair to expect fewer newcomers when theyre including all the veterans and then cuts back in as basically new characters to the base of 4 + DLC and all of the additional tweaks to the characters and gameplay.

But, instead of I’m hoping you aren’t expecting too many newcomers should have been replaced with “There will be significantly fewer newcomers as a result of the returning veterans, so don’t expect too many. We will be announcing them in the months to come”

I would hope it’s phrased more eloquently, but it would have been clear and direct that not only were we getting more, but the number was a small one without giving away any exact information.

Quick Edit: How reliable are the comments of the one treehouse dude? I understand that’s the most official thing we’ve gotten since E3, but would he know enough or even be able to say that much about Smash if he did. I don’t doubt he’s wrong, but i would like to know more about his involvement and legitimacy as a source of info for Ultimate.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I'm simply not expecting anymore than 10 more newcomers. Probably a bit closer to 8 than 10 giving us 11 total. I think people are blowing it a bit out of proportion.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
There is 0 chance we have seen the final roster. You guys are silly. Go outside and pet a dog or something.
This is good advice. we should all go out and pet more dogs. our lives will be better for it.

I still trust K. Rool is already in. he is by far the biggest boy on the block now. they obviously know who he is because of the costume. and with the ballot they must know he is standing at the top where he belongs as the King he is. you know after Bayo left for the game and he kicked the joke characters out of the throne.

StormC

Smash Hero
Quick Edit: How reliable are the comments of the one treehouse dude? I understand that’s the most official thing we’ve gotten since E3, but would he know enough or even be able to say that much about Smash if he did. I don’t doubt he’s wrong, but i would like to know more about his involvement and legitimacy as a source of info for Ultimate.
No way to know for sure. But he seemed pretty adamant that Treehouse communicates with Sakurai pretty often.

https://smashboards.com/threads/smash-ultimate-discussion.434391/page-2458#post-22223578 For anyone who misses the context.

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
None taken!

Nothing may have changed, but now it's becoming more and more apparent that the situation I described will remain a reality. I'm just singling out Daisy herself due to my intense hatred of her. Not her fans. I'm glad 2 fanbases got what they wanted this time around. Especially Ridley. His fans got closure at long last. It would appear this is less about Sakurai's own fantasies than Smash 4 was. It would just have been nice for ours to have been thrown a bone. So far we know nothing. Except that DK and Diddy are back, DK has a new, more appropriate Final Smash, and that Kongo Falls Melee is back after a long hiatus. We haven't even been given a new music track in the music page. (I'm not counting Diddy's video)

I know it's only been a little over a month. That does not change my anxiety. I've been burned hard by Smash Wii U/3DS. I tried to move on and enjoy them but my disappointment killed it. I tried and it didn't work for me. Confirmation of "the Bayonetta theory" killed it even more, made me realize Rool never stood a chance in hell in 4. I find Smash Wii U boring as all heck. I still play For 3DS, but I'm even considering letting them go, especially Wii U. (I hardly play 4WU anymore and I prefer Brawl any day of the week anyway). Maybe it's the Ultimate hype, I don't know, but Smash Wii U brings me no enjoyment anymore.

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
Just remind yourselves that Sakurai is not a negative person and, more importantly, he really is a man of his word. He said he was really close to adding Takamaru and Heihachi and he always wanted to (lack of recognition and implementation respectively) but then he also said that about having all old characters return. Now he has his chance and he takes it! The madman. But really, points for consistency.

That having been said it's kind of like we already have 80-90% confirmation that this is the title where he finally gets to add the stuff he wants. He's earned it and he's clearly one of the unspoken elites at Nintendo.

Long story short just remind yourself that he didn't put those Mii costumes in to "punish" you, them, or anybody. Or to say he thought about them and call it good for that matter. No my friends, he put in costumes of his own favorite hopefuls.

So yeah, he's not angry at people for wanting stuff. He's just really humble and the Mii costume is his way of saying "Hey you in the back! I see you."

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
Then again the whole "don't expect many new challengers" thing boggles me. Maybe he's saying that to lower our expectations so he can blow the lid off of them?

Sakurai loves to cram his games with tons of content, after all.

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
No my friends, he put in costumes of his own favorite hopefuls.
You sure about that? That's just being blindly optimistic and I warn you, that's also dangerous. DKC was massive, yet he promptly ignores it. When Diddy is the best the IP has gotten in Smash, something's wrong. And if the costumes were really his way of saying "Hey you in the back! I see you.", I'd rather he not see me. Better to be ignored than to be given a consolation prize.

Klimax

Smash Ace
The fact that we got nothing this mounth doesn't change anything for me, i still think that K Rool is really likely.

Lisbon Mapping

Smash Apprentice
You sure about that? That's just being blindly optimistic and I warn you, that's also dangerous. DKC was massive, yet he promptly ignores it. When Diddy is the best the IP has gotten in Smash, something's wrong. And if the costumes were really his way of saying "Hey you in the back! I see you.", I'd rather he not see me. Better to be ignored than to be given a consolation prize.
That's ridiculous. Why would you rather not be given anything at all over something? There are so many characters with fans that would love for them to have any recognition in Smash, and you're treating a mii costume as a bad thing.

Last edited:

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
^Never settle for less. I prefer to play as a character I like than to dress up as him. Yes, I prefer nothing in that case. I don't buy into the half-full glass when I can easily have had a full glass of water. That goes for video games and real life. You settle for less, you get less by default.

Lisbon Mapping

Smash Apprentice
^Never settle for less. I prefer to play as a character I like than to dress up as him. Yes, I prefer nothing in that case. I don't buy into the half-full glass when I can easily have had a full glass of water. That goes for video games and real life. You settle for less, you get less by default.
It's not "settling for less". It's appreciating that you got anything at all. You can still ask for K. Rool to be a playable character while still being happy he was added as a mii costume. It's not only one or the other. This is a really bad attitude tbh

Last edited:

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
It's not "settling for less". It's appreciating that you got anything at all. You can still ask for K. Rool to be a playable character while still being happy he was added as a mii costume. It's not only one or the other. This is a really bad attitude tbh
Characters aren't food.
TOYS are not food.
This is not about necessities that we should all be grateful about at all times. This is first and foremost centering around a luxury. Having said that...

If a boy wants a Transformer toy and an adult offers them a picture cutout and say "You should be glad you got anything at all", I'm not going to fault the boy for becoming extremely irritated and frustrated.

Wanting exactly what you're asking for and being disappointed when you don't get it is not wrong, or is it having a bad attitude. It's only a bad attitude if you respond disrespectfully. And merely being honest about one's disappointment is not disrespectful by default.

(EDIT - Geez I'm getting my quoting mixed up big time. I've not posted here for far too long... :urg:

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
When they annoinced the Kostume, I was really salty about that, not gonna lie. Mii costume != character.

But now, I see it as a really good thing.

Smash 4 had a very short lifetime. Now that we’ve got another Smash on the horizon, I can see the Mii costume in a different light. I’ll still be mad if that’s all we get, but at the time it did allow the internet to highlight exactly how much we want our Kaptain.

Just a few more months...

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
None taken!

Nothing may have changed, but now it's becoming more and more apparent that the situation I described will remain a reality. I'm just singling out Daisy herself due to my intense hatred of her. Not her fans. I'm glad 2 fanbases got what they wanted this time around. Especially Ridley. His fans got closure at long last. It would appear this is less about Sakurai's own fantasies than Smash 4 was. It would just have been nice for ours to have been thrown a bone. So far we know nothing. Except that DK and Diddy are back, DK has a new, more appropriate Final Smash, and that Kongo Falls Melee is back after a long hiatus. We haven't even been given a new music track in the music page. (I'm not counting Diddy's video)

I know it's only been a little over a month. That does not change my anxiety. I've been burned hard by Smash Wii U/3DS. I tried to move on and enjoy them but my disappointment killed it. I tried and it didn't work for me. Confirmation of "the Bayonetta theory" killed it even more, made me realize Rool never stood a chance in hell in 4. I find Smash Wii U boring as all heck. I still play For 3DS, but I'm even considering letting them go, especially Wii U. (I hardly play 4WU anymore and I prefer Brawl any day of the week anyway). Maybe it's the Ultimate hype, I don't know, but Smash Wii U brings me no enjoyment anymore.
I don't understand how you can be upset at Daisy considering she took basically no development time. She didn't take the place of anyone else, she's an echo (and basically 1-1 Peach at that).

Also didn't that theory about Bayonetta get debunked? Those slots were clearly placed there as placeholders for characters and they contained Mario's data initially.

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
@ Anomilus Anomilus Thank you. Exactly what I'm trying to say. I heard that "Be thankful you have something" bull**** from too many people after Smash For released when I complained about the lack of DK material. Worse, some people compared their one-off NES title to the entirety of DK, almost implying that the want for a DK character takes away from Takamaru or Mach Rider when there was nothing to take from them from the start. Honestly Libson, you sound like one of those same people I argued with way back. I'm not sorry for voicing my frustration. This extends outside of Smash, too. I don't want to just keep on playing the same games with K. Rool, I'd like to see a new game with the Kremlings, and expies of those characters won't cut it. There was a rant Sean King from the DKVine made over a decade ago that mentioned a lot about Donkey Kong and its characters. Everything he said came to pass. People got a new Donkey Kong game but the characters were more or less forgotten. Now, look at the situation today. Two DK games and people are now saying "That's plenty for DK, no need for more." or "This character's irrelevant, why bring him back?" It's very damning when it seems that Nintendo and Sakurai even coincidentally fall in the position where they align with those statements. I don't take bones, I want the whole bird.

I repeat: This goes far beyond Smash, and it's somewhat comforting to see that people are preferring the Kremlings to return the next time around. But ultimately the damage is already done. Being vocal about this is the best thing to do, as it shows there IS interest in the character and best case scenario, you get a Ridley situation, where there was actual statements against his inclusion. When you 'appreciate' a minor trinket and accept that, be prepared to receive the equivalent of that for a long time.

Last edited:

Lisbon Mapping

Smash Apprentice
@ Anomilus Anomilus Thank you. Exactly what I'm trying to say. I heard that "Be thankful you have something" bull**** from too many people after Smash For released when I complained about the lack of DK material. Worse, some people compared their one-off NES title to the entirety of DK, almost implying that the want for a DK character takes away from Takamaru or Mach Rider when there was nothing to take from them from the start. Honestly Libson, you sound like one of those same people I argued with way back. I'm not sorry for voicing my frustration. This extends outside of Smash, too. I don't want to just keep on playing the same games with K. Rool, I'd like to see a new game with the Kremlings, and expies of those characters won't cut it. There was a rant Sean King from the DKVine made over a decade ago that mentioned a lot about Donkey Kong and its characters. Everything he said came to pass. People got a new Donkey Kong game but the characters were more or less forgotten. Now, look at the situation today. Two DK games and people are now saying "That's plenty for DK, no need for more." or "This character's irrelevant, why bring him back?" It's very damning when it seems that Nintendo and Sakurai even coincidentally fall in the position where they align with those statements. I don't take bones, I want the whole bird.

I repeat: This goes far beyond Smash, and it's somewhat comforting to see that people are preferring the Kremlings to return the next time around. But ultimately the damage is already done. Being vocal about this is the best thing to do, as it shows there IS interest in the character and best case scenario, you get a Ridley situation, where there was actual statements against his inclusion. When you 'appreciate' a minor trinket and accept that, be prepared to receive the equivalent of that for a long time.
Appreciate ! = stop campaigning for more, do you not get that? I really appreciate Prince Sable being an assist trophy, but does that mean I'm going to stop supporting his promotion to a playable character? Of course not! That doesn't mean I have to actively dislike his assist trophy. I support K Rool and Dixie for Smash, so idk what your rant about people saying DK doesn't need more reps is for lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom