• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

StormC

Smash Hero
I would think that "irrelevant theory" had more weight if the K. Rool costume didn't explicitly have a redesign. There was literally 0 reason to do that unless if they were planning on using it for something else because most people probably would've been content with strictly PAON K. Rool for the Mii costume.

Not only that, but as we've seen before, there are portions of the costume that literally have texturing issues as if the costume wasn't designed to be fit around a Mii model. Plus the fact that the hat portion is literally just a fully modeled head shows that the model was going to be used for something else in some capacity.

Do I think Sakurai and his team could've redesigned K. Rool entirely just so the fans could have their preferred design on the Mii costume? I think it's possible, but at the same time, if the character wasn't on their radar at all, they wouldn't have bothered to do that in the first place. Smash 5 was also starting development around this time as well, so I think the idea of them taking a prototype Smash 5 model and using it for the Mii costume is a decently likely one.
I'm not sure the costume would actually literally be ripped from a model - the project proposal was delivered in December 2015, meaning I doubt any actual modeling and rendering would be done at that point, just a list of concepts and characters. What I think is more likely is the costume design was developed as a sort of test and proof of concept - this design had not been used for the better part of 20 years, so assuming at that point Sakurai already decided he wanted K. Rool in Smash 5, he could have had this developed to see how the design would translate in an HD Smash game.

Either that, or maybe they did seriously consider adding K. Rool as DLC, even got as far as a model, then decided to save him for the next game.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I would think that "irrelevant theory" had more weight if the K. Rool costume didn't explicitly have a redesign. There was literally 0 reason to do that unless if they were planning on using it for something else because most people probably would've been content with strictly PAON K. Rool for the Mii costume.

Not only that, but as we've seen before, there are portions of the costume that literally have texturing issues as if the costume wasn't designed to be fit around a Mii model. Plus the fact that the hat portion is literally just a fully modeled head shows that the model was going to be used for something else in some capacity.

Do I think Sakurai and his team could've redesigned K. Rool entirely just so the fans could have their preferred design on the Mii costume? I think it's possible, but at the same time, if the character wasn't on their radar at all, they wouldn't have bothered to do that in the first place. Smash 5 was also starting development around this time as well, so I think the idea of them taking a prototype Smash 5 model and using it for the Mii costume is a decently likely one.

I'm not gonna give up hope since it's literally been one month since anything from the game even got announced. I'm still holding out hope that the ballot meant something really important for Smash 5, and I think being pessimistic is the worst thing we can do right now as a fanbase.
The K. Rool Mii costume takes the most obvious inspiration from his Rare design, but there are still elements of the Paon design in the costume. The straight rows of teeth, the blue jewels, the way in which the ends of his cape are wrapped around his shoulders and neck and connected with said jewel (Rare's design has the ends of the cape being thinner and connected underneath the belly armour) and finally the even size of all his toes all come from that redesign.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I doubt it was ripped from a model. It did look a little too much like it was always intended for a Mii costume for that.

The only thing that makes me suspicious is the style itself though. They had the K.Rool trophy in-game already - while remodelling it mwould probably have ended up looking like a botch job, remaking the texture was not necessary in the slightest. So why did they? Unless Sakurai likes the Rare design better, or was just considering designs... (Note that Ridley's new design is also kind of a conglomerate of all of his designs...)

Not to mention that K.Rool was kind of left to die ages ago, and then randomly came back for a Mii costume? There would be no reason to put him in outside of fan requests.

Fake or not (they're all fake), all of these 'leaks' pointing to K.Rool does make it seem like he's one of the likliest characters to be added in. And with everyone considering DK an underrepresented franchise, everything is looking so good now. We just need to hold out for a few more months...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Would love too see Geno in, he seems like a unique and fun character that'd be fun to use.

The July 22nd direct leak seems like it, will fade away and classify itself, as obsolete , obsolete.

Oh we'll hope we get news eventually I hope King K. Rool is part of that.
May I say this post was... Wonderful!

Green beans for all!

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I could be wrong, but isn't the reason Bandai-Namco uses younger Heihachi nowadays because his original voice actor died?
It was the case for Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and PSABR.
But, they reverted back to Tekken 7 with the Old Heihachi, so, I guess that doesn't matter anymore.

What's interesting is the "Young" Heihachi's voice actor is also the new "old" Heihachi's voice actor, so I guess they will just use him, which I'm fine with. I don't mind they use both as an alternative, BUT, make the old classic iconic one as default.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Well, at least someone put a little more effort into a leak than the usual list of names. I call BS on the third party characters unless Suda and Sakurai are much better friends than I ever knew of... And a Tales Of Rep still feels off to me, but I don’t know enough about the series to confirm that suspicion.
Sakurai and Suda51 are friends, at least to the extent that they have dinner together and Suda has regular enough contact with Sakurai to ask him about Travis in Smash for the past ten years.

https://sourcegaming.info/2017/05/26/straight-from-the-source-goichi-suda-no-more-heroes/

I could be wrong, but isn't the reason Bandai-Namco uses younger Heihachi nowadays because his original voice actor died?
They did for Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (and games released between that and Tekken 7, like Playstation All-Stars and Smash), but he's back to being an old man in Tekken 7. If I had to guess, I'd say it was to get people used to the transition for voice actors.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
For those wondering about the July 27th leak

Here it is

> On July 27th, we will get a Nintendo Direct
> Here it is. Take it with a grain of salt.
> It will start off right away with Yoshi running and then it goes straight to gameplay of the Yoshi game, titled Yoshi's Craft World. Releasing March 2018.
> Dark Souls releasing 24
> Injustice 2, 2019
> Nintendo Selects for Switch
> Fortnite Nintendo Only Skins based on Metroid, Splatoon, after direct.
> Legends Of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD, holiday 2018
> Chibi-Robo: Plugged, holiday 2018
> Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes, January 2019
> Mario Maker Port, holiday 2018
> Dr. Mario Switch, September 2018
> New Donkey Kong Country game Donkey Kong Country: Origins, characters playable are Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong, Cranky Kong, Funky Kong, then King K. Rool after you finish the game.
> Final Announcement: King K. Rool and Dixie Kong smash trailer

Nintendo Switch Classics? That's not happening anytime soon.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Sounds like another fake leak, I can't see a whole new DKC game being made this soon, Retro is working on a Starfox racer, no way are they releasing a new DKC the same year as the Tropical Freeze port

Also Skyword Sword HD? I seriously doubt it.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Sakurai basically confirmed in his recent Famitsu column that he literally feels anger towards leakers. If he's bold enough to call them out, I'm sure he'd be bold enough to withhold information from us. If this leaker was proven right by announcements from Nintendo following his leak, then people would be expecting everything from his list and Nintendo wouldn't want that. Though I wouldn't put stock in it, it's possible that they decided to change their announcement schedule.
Kind of off-topic but I just realized that was Sylux in your signature and not, in fact, Funky's surfboard.

D

Deleted member

Skyward Sword was so dependent on motion controls, and there was criticism about how the Let's Go games will require Joy Con movements to catch Pokemon.

I don't see them putting effort into a port much like I see them building off Tri Force Heroes. They don't revisit failed ideas much.

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
Seems credible, not as crazy as the 22th one. Ports, Dark Souls, little titles... Well calibrated.
But cardboard Yoshi will be released some months ago, in March.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I want to float a pessimistic theory from ResetEra to see what you all think:

"I wonder if it's time to contemplate if the mii costumes that seemed to be representative of the ballot were more like the best we were gonna get for those particular characters and that was Sakurai meeting us halfway. The combo of fan demanded but ultimately inactive characters like Rool and Geno almost makes more sense that way."
Honestly I've already come to this realization. Honestly if K.Rool isn't playable in this game. I don't think he will ever be playable in a Smash Bros. game OR even return to the DK franchise. Honestly I'm not getting any younger, I'm not gonna keep clinging on to false hope YEARS from now when the next Smash rolls around thinking "Well he wasn't Melee, he wasn't in Brawl, he wasn't in Wii U/3DS, he wasn't in Ultimate SURELY he will appear THIS time!" **** who knows by the time Smash 6 comes out I may not even be gaming anymore. It would just prove my suspicions that someone in the hierarchy of Nintendo just really doesn't like the character and wants to "banish" him completely. I think Sakurai gave us the Mii Costume as a bone to us fans as his hands were tied. Let's be honest with ourselves here K.Rool was DEFINITELY at the topper echelon of the ballot and Sakurai knew that we knew that. So he threw us a bone because if he hadn't given us K.Rool fans anything he would never hear the end of it. K.Rool would become the new Ridley/Waluigi to Sakurai. Where he would constantly be asked about him. Granted it worked for Ridley but after how long though? Also Ridley has the benefit of having appeared in recent titles unlike K.Rool.

While I don't think relevancy should overtake popularity ESPECIALLY a character that is long overdue for a series that is long overdue for more representation in Smash Bros. I don't think Sakurai/Nintendo see it that way. Time will tell with this roster. If characters like K.Rool, Geno, Simon Belmont, Issac, etc. get confirmed soon I think we will have our answer to whether or not Sakurai is TRULY looking at the ballot and throwing relevancy completely out the window. But if we get characters like new Pokemon from Sun/Moon, Elma, Alm/Celica, Spring-Man, Bandana Dee, Captain Toad, Dixie Kong (instead of K.Rool) then I think we will have our answer and it will just follow the same pattern of Wii U/3DS where the characters are strictly being picked due to marketing promotions and not necessarily fan requests. No I'm also not saying characters like Spring-Man, Captain Toad, Sun/Moon Pokemon don't have their fans/followings in fact I want to see most of these characters in Smash myself but I'm just trying to give insight into what Sakurai/Nintendo are possibly thinking. I'm trying not to get my hopes up and I know K.Rool does have a few things going in his favor this time (but then again I thought that back in Melee as well) I just don't want to keep being kicked in the balls by Sakurai/Nintendo. At some point you just gotta be "enough is enough I'm not gonna keep putting myself through this again and again" But all we can do is wait and see....

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Yea about that...

Sakurai don't you dare make him a echo of mii gunner
I don't know if that was necessary. Even I thought that was kinda a cringey idea, but cringey ideas don't need to be removed. Just someone's opinion, like the video states.

I kinda feel like they might have gotten too much backlash from that than it deserved. Even if I've been meme'ing the Geno mii echo thing.

--

Besides, despite how much everyone (Including myself) hates the idea of Geno as a mii gunner echo, that would be preferable to just being a mii costume. If just by a tiny amount. Being able to hear "This game's winner is ....Geno!" and having a proper model even if not representing the character all that much would just be a bit better.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Oh hey, another leak from a guy who's friend of someone that worked on Smash. This one says K. Rool is in the game too, alongside Geno. It's funny how every leaker thinks K. Rool is a safe bet at this point.

http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/424801625
I saw a video on this leak, and I called BS on it.

The moveset they give the characters is practically ripped off of Smashboards.

It's fun to speculate on what moves the character could have to represent them, but I highly doubt it's realistically going to be so similar to what we speculate.

Last edited:

GigaRidley

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0044-3298-5285
Switch FC
SW 7210-7639-6413

"I wonder if it's time to contemplate if the mii costumes that seemed to be representative of the ballot were more like the best we were gonna get for those particular characters and that was Sakurai meeting us halfway. The combo of fan demanded but ultimately inactive characters like Rool and Geno almost makes more sense that way."
This may have been the case for Smash 4, but I'm still pretty optimistic about K. Rool's chances this time, if nothing else because they might use the ballot for Ultimate.

Besides, Sakurai changes his mind all the time with this series. Just a few years ago, Ridley being playable wasn't achievable for Smash in his eyes and... here he is now. Even if K. Rool isn't the most active character right now, the fan demand doesn't look like it's going away any time soon.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I saw a video on this leak, and I called BS on it.

The moveset they give the characters is practically ripped off of Smashboards.

It's fun to speculate on what moves the character could have to represent them, but I highly doubt it's realistically going to be so similar to what we speculate.
That and k rool final smash doesn't seem to go straight back into battle type of final smash

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
For those wondering about the July 27th leak

Here it is

> On July 27th, we will get a Nintendo Direct
> Here it is. Take it with a grain of salt.
> It will start off right away with Yoshi running and then it goes straight to gameplay of the Yoshi game, titled Yoshi's Craft World. Releasing March 2018.
> Dark Souls releasing 24
> Injustice 2, 2019
> Nintendo Selects for Switch
> Fortnite Nintendo Only Skins based on Metroid, Splatoon, after direct.
> Legends Of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD, holiday 2018
> Chibi-Robo: Plugged, holiday 2018
> Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes, January 2019
> Mario Maker Port, holiday 2018
> Dr. Mario Switch, September 2018
> New Donkey Kong Country game Donkey Kong Country: Origins, characters playable are Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong, Cranky Kong, Funky Kong, then King K. Rool after you finish the game.
> Final Announcement: King K. Rool and Dixie Kong smash trailer

Nintendo Switch Classics? That's not happening anytime soon.
Wow, it's the first leak I've seen with a new DK game... kudos to them for being different... theyre totally playing off Nintendo renewing the copyrights of some of those DK characters and the DK barrel a little ways back.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
That and k rool final smash doesn't seem to go straight back into battle type of final smash
That final Smash sounds really stupid. I was also thinking it doesn't make sense with the current way the Final Smashes work.

I imagine it'd just be his ship firing a flurry of canon balls or something

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Honestly I've already come to this realization. Honestly if K.Rool isn't playable in this game. I don't think he will ever be playable in a Smash Bros. game OR even return to the DK franchise. Honestly I'm not getting any younger, I'm not gonna keep clinging on to false hope YEARS from now when the next Smash rolls around thinking "Well he wasn't Melee, he wasn't in Brawl, he wasn't in Wii U/3DS, he wasn't in Ultimate SURELY he will appear THIS time!" **** who knows by the time Smash 6 comes out I may not even be gaming anymore. It would just prove my suspicions that someone in the hierarchy of Nintendo just really doesn't like the character and wants to "banish" him completely. I think Sakurai gave us the Mii Costume as a bone to us fans as his hands were tied. Let's be honest with ourselves here K.Rool was DEFINITELY at the topper echelon of the ballot and Sakurai knew that we knew that. So he threw us a bone because if he hadn't given us K.Rool fans anything he would never hear the end of it. K.Rool would become the new Ridley/Waluigi to Sakurai. Where he would constantly be asked about him. Granted it worked for Ridley but after how long though? Also Ridley has the benefit of having appeared in recent titles unlike K.Rool.

While I don't think relevancy should overtake popularity ESPECIALLY a character that is long overdue for a series that is long overdue for more representation in Smash Bros. I don't think Sakurai/Nintendo see it that way. Time will tell with this roster. If characters like K.Rool, Geno, Simon Belmont, Issac, etc. get confirmed soon I think we will have our answer to whether or not Sakurai is TRULY looking at the ballot and throwing relevancy completely out the window. But if we get characters like new Pokemon from Sun/Moon, Elma, Alm/Celica, Spring-Man, Bandana Dee, Captain Toad, Dixie Kong (instead of K.Rool) then I think we will have our answer and it will just follow the same pattern of Wii U/3DS where the characters are strictly being picked due to marketing promotions and not necessarily fan requests. No I'm also not saying characters like Spring-Man, Captain Toad, Sun/Moon Pokemon don't have their fans/followings in fact I want to see most of these characters in Smash myself but I'm just trying to give insight into what Sakurai/Nintendo are possibly thinking. I'm trying not to get my hopes up and I know K.Rool does have a few things going in his favor this time (but then again I thought that back in Melee as well) I just don't want to keep being kicked in the balls by Sakurai/Nintendo. At some point you just gotta be "enough is enough I'm not gonna keep putting myself through this again and again" But all we can do is wait and see....
Here! Here! As a Geno fan I feel the same. I'm not getting any younger.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

Well I'm expecting k rool but not getting my hopes up is where I am

But I understand if you feel this way

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Donkey Kong Country: Origins is such a dumb title.

I think you're being a tad melodramatic. I don't see why you think Smash Ultimate is K. Rool's last stand. It sounds more to me that you want it to be his last stand so you can get closure. And I understand that. It sucks to be in this position. But the prickly truth is that if K. Rool isn't in this game, the only closure we'll get is related to his inclusion in this game in particular. His appearances in future games will still be a real possibility. If K. Rool isn't in, we're going to be in this purgatory a little longer.

I personally think he's certain to appear in the next DK game. And I think that because the character's profile has just risen since Smash 4 despite not appearing in any new games. He's still topping the polls or nearing the top in 2018. He's certainly the clear choice for DK character by the community and it's not close. I am sure this has been noticed by Nintendo or its feelers. Heck, the Mii costume itself is a sign they heard us. And no, if they truly wanted to bury the character, they wouldn't have given us anything at all. I also don't see his exclusion in Brawl to be that big of a deal either. K. Rool really wasn't that popular back then, not compared to how he's popular now. His popularity has increased over time. His strength has increased! He hasn't always been in-your-face popular, so I don't think it's fair to Sakurai to say that he's ignored a popular character that has been in his face this whole time. That's overselling K. Rool's Brawl popularity. K. Rool really only rose until Smash 4 and then rose to the tippy top during the ballot.

However, it's true that K. Rool might not appear in Smash Ultimate. But let's take a step back here. That's true for any character. Smash Brothers is a hard game to get into. Popular characters are left on the platter all the time. Relevant characters are excluded all the time. Character choice is complicated. "Relevance", "promotion" matters, but so does popularity. So does feasibility. So does Sakurai's particular views at the time. There are tons of things that matter; a lot of stars have to align for a character to appear in Smash Brothers. So K. Rool might not get in, even if I think he has a great shot.

But it's not the end of the line for the character at all. Particularly because those things that matter for character selection can change or K. Rool's profile can change. And one big thing can change in K. Rool's favor -- a new appearance. I don't see why you'd doubt the character would ever get in when he has such an obvious characteristic that he could "improve" and that I think is realistic he will improve.

Don't forget, we're still waiting on the next DK game.

Last edited:

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman

You say pessimism, I say realism. The more I become hopeful, the more I remember the burning I received from the ESRB Leak and the July Mii costume release along with the December direct. I can see Dixie popping up because of Tropical Freeze and that's probably the best DK is going to get. I don't think Sakurai really cares for Donkey Kong, and that alone keeps DK at two while Fire Emblem which he likes at six. Even if he made the claim that Fire Emblem had too many reps, deep down he still probably was okay with it. I mentioned that DK should have K. Rool, Dixie, Tiny as an echo and Fredrik as a clone because Donkey Kong Country has pushed consoles and even outsold a Zelda title when it 'return'ed. Donkey Kong under Rare was legendary. All their DK titles broke a million, even the Land titles and possibly the GBC port of DKC, even the GBA titles broke a million. And it's not a Japanese issue, we know that if the Kremling Kampaigner and the sheer popularity of the DKC Cartoon is anything to go by. It's Sakurai. The same Sakurai who focuses on Wario's grossout elements when the Shake Dimension director knows he's more than that and avoided that side of him (And Sakurai removing the shoulder barge in For citing gameplay reasons as the excuse). The same Sakurai that made an exception for Cloud on the notion that the games themselves should be enjoyed, going back on his rule about 3rd parties (I know about the GBA Kingdom Hearts titles) and the same Sakurai who made Dark Pit a dessert option on the notion of some sacred treasures BS while keeping Alph an alt and not even trying to make Dixie another dessert option to tie in Tropical Freeze. At LEAST that would have made me keep the game. Not to mention pulling that stunt with Bayonetta* when she was revealed.

Frankly at this point, I'm sticking with whoever mentioned that statement, only because I can see Sakurai doing just that - pushing the Mii costumes as 'characters' or allowing you to enjoy more characters knowing full well people want to play as them. I can't wait for those new Fire Emblem characters and 3rd party inclusions. Ridley was the big win here, and that's likely going to be as good as it gets.

Mariomaniac45213 Mariomaniac45213 you're not only correct on that statement, you're not alone on that notion either.

Last edited:

SmashingXan2

Smash Journeyman
Guys, remember, Ridley got in due to fan demand despite Sakurai staying that he cant add him in. And Ridley is bot even well known in Japan. K Rool is popular in Japan and the west, ifanything, hes got a bigger chance of getting in, dont give up.

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
****ing hell, just a month ago we got back every single veteran in Smash Bros. history and goddamn Ridley, and people still think Sakurai doesn't give a **** about what the fans think. Have you ever seen an interview with the guy? The man bleeds passion for the game, especially when deciding the rosters.

The Smash Ballot existed for a reason. As recent news will tell us, it likely wasn't for Smash 4 DLC, but I find it hard to believe it existed for no reason. And unlike the gaps between Melee and Brawl, and Brawl and Smash 4, there haven't been as many new big name characters or franchises to seem like clear favorites, the few that do being already in (Inkling) or were almost definitely too late (Rex/Pyra, ARMS). So at this point, who else will join the roster but popular requests?

There are so many factors that determine who becomes playable. Yes, certain franchises will get neglected, and some get overrepresented. Fire Emblem got six last time, but remember that it was 3 and a clone before DLC. Roy was a popular request for a returning vet, and Corrin was just a product of timing. But Metroid is finally getting some love with Ridley, you have to believe DK will follow suit - even if it's literally just Dixie and nothing else, as disappointing as that would be.

I'm not outright expecting K. Rool. I'd be naive to. But I'm hoping for him because for the first time he (and other characters that share his situation) seems actually possible. But "realistic" pessimism is still pessimism, and nothing from E3 gave me any reason to be pessimistic.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
What would King K. Rool's victory fanfare once he gets in? Does he have his own variation (like Ridley) or the same ones that the other kongs use?

Awakining

Smash Apprentice
What would King K. Rool's victory fanfare once he gets in? Does he have his own variation (like Ridley) or the same ones that the other kongs use?
Why, only a remix of the finest song would do:

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
A short remix of Crocodile cacophony could make a good fanfare. It's got a number of good parts that'd work

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
Something Gangplank Galleon or Crocodile Cacophony-inspired would be amazing, but I'd honestly expect the same as the other DK fare. Only Bowser/Jr. and Ridley I think have gotten special treatment for villains so far, unless you count Meta Knight as a villain.

For the memes, definitely an instrumental of One of Us would be most fitting.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Something Gangplank Galleon or Crocodile Cacophony-inspired would be amazing, but I'd honestly expect the same as the other DK fare. Only Bowser/Jr. and Ridley I think have gotten special treatment for villains so far, unless you count Meta Knight as a villain.

Dark Pit has a Unique Fanfare too, fwiw.

SmashingXan2

Smash Journeyman

Bowser did

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
Forgot Dark Pit, is he a villain? And I mentioned Bowser.

But actually I'm remembering how few villains there are. I think Ganon is the only big one without an original theme. I'm a bit hopeful that K. Rool will get one now, and maybe Ganon finally gets one too.

SmashingXan2

Smash Journeyman
Forgot Dark Pit, is he a villain? And I mentioned Bowser.

But actually I'm remembering how few villains there are. I think Ganon is the only big one without an original theme. I'm a bit hopeful that K. Rool will get one now, and maybe Ganon finally gets one too.
Didn't see the / so I thought it only said Bowser Jr. Sorry

I'm legit a little worried that we already know the whole roster... Someone reassure me... :confused:
There is no way they would show off the whole roster at e3, its extremely bad marketing. Also, I remember someone at Nintendo mentioning we will learn more about the roster closer to December

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
I'm legit a little worried that we already know the whole roster... Someone reassure me... :confused:
1. Sakurai would have explicitly said so at E3 if the revealed roster was final, he wouldn't do us dirty like that.
2. They wouldn't have branded Echo Fighters just for existing + Daisy, or made a new trailer intro just for Ridley
3. Never before has the entire roster been (officially) known before release.

There you go, reassured.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
1. Sakurai would have explicitly said so at E3 if the revealed roster was final, he wouldn't do us dirty like that.
2. They wouldn't have branded Echo Fighters just for existing + Daisy, or made a new trailer intro just for Ridley
3. Never before has the entire roster been (officially) known before release.

There you go, reassured.
Yea, that makes sense, and I've told myself the same. I think the lack of news is just getting to me.

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
You say pessimism, I say realism. The more I become hopeful, the more I remember the burning I received from the ESRB Leak and the July Mii costume release along with the December direct. I can see Dixie popping up because of Tropical Freeze and that's probably the best DK is going to get. I don't think Sakurai really cares for Donkey Kong, and that alone keeps DK at two while Fire Emblem which he likes at six. Even if he made the claim that Fire Emblem had too many reps, deep down he still probably was okay with it. I mentioned that DK should have K. Rool, Dixie, Tiny as an echo and Fredrik as a clone because Donkey Kong Country has pushed consoles and even outsold a Zelda title when it 'return'ed. Donkey Kong under Rare was legendary. All their DK titles broke a million, even the Land titles and possibly the GBC port of DKC, even the GBA titles broke a million. And it's not a Japanese issue, we know that if the Kremling Kampaigner and the sheer popularity of the DKC Cartoon is anything to go by. It's Sakurai. The same Sakurai who focuses on Wario's grossout elements when the Shake Dimension director knows he's more than that and avoided that side of him (And Sakurai removing the shoulder barge in For citing gameplay reasons as the excuse). The same Sakurai that made an exception for Cloud on the notion that the games themselves should be enjoyed, going back on his rule about 3rd parties (I know about the GBA Kingdom Hearts titles) and the same Sakurai who made Dark Pit a dessert option on the notion of some sacred treasures BS while keeping Alph an alt and not even trying to make Dixie another dessert option to tie in Tropical Freeze. At LEAST that would have made me keep the game. Not to mention pulling that stunt with Bayonetta* when she was revealed.

Frankly at this point, I'm sticking with whoever mentioned that statement, only because I can see Sakurai doing just that - pushing the Mii costumes as 'characters' or allowing you to enjoy more characters knowing full well people want to play as them. I can't wait for those new Fire Emblem characters and 3rd party inclusions. Ridley was the big win here, and that's likely going to be as good as it gets.

Mariomaniac45213 Mariomaniac45213 you're not only correct on that statement, you're not alone on that notion either.
Realistic or not, we've done all we can for K. Rool. We dominated the Smash ballot and brought him back from the brink of obscurity and Nintendo obviously took notice. If the Smash Ballot meant anything at all, he'll make it into the game, and maybe even a new Donkey Kong game.

And noone would name a Donkey Kong game "Origins." It's far too bland. If there was any origin title involving K. Rool, the only sensible choice would be A Krocwork Origin.

Top Bottom