• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
How would you guys feel about K. Rool having crocodile spines on his back?
I would prefer a redesign like that from Retro if they ever revive the character. But, if he's revived for Smash, I'd expect more callbacks to his many appearance rather than something entirely new.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
K. Rool is more Looney Tunes.
Speaking of Looney Tunes, which character does K. Rool most resemble in terms of characteristics and personality? For me, it would be Wile E. Coyote, super genius. Now I can imagine a King K. Rool cartoon directed by Bob Clampett who provided us with zaniness and wackiness in his cartoons.

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
Don't worry about the false leak, this week we'll have some more for our amusement. Maybe one with K. Rool and, let's say... Linkle for example.

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
what's annoying me is that if the leak was false, how would a false leak be getting things correct? maybe everything is right but the date for the direct is wrong. I need some news now

SmashingXan2

Smash Journeyman
Guys, we still have all day for an announcement. We still have hours for one

I do hope for the direct to be true

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
We're not getting an announcement tomorrow. Fake leaks are fake.

Still, whether there is an announcement or not does nothing to affect our King's chances. They are higher than ever this round - I'd put it at a coin flip, and I'm pretty pessimistic with that. The fact that K.Rool is on everyone's minds is a good thing, and we can be assured that if K.Rool isn't in vanilla, that Sakurai will mention him by name and he'll be one of the first considered for DLC.

Our finest hour approaches...

Last edited:

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
This thread has been a lot slower (at least by its own standards) this past week. Hopefully after the 22nd is behind us we can find something else to talk about.

Like I said though, there's still a chance of something new to be revealed at SDCC, even if it's not a newcomer. Was the MK8 BotW update announced at SDCC or was it just a timing coincidence? If it's the former, I could possibly see them doing something similar for Smash tomorrow.

PPNY

Smash Journeyman
Most leaks are likely made simply to throw off the fans into a sense of hopelessness. We have been waiting for K.Rool for ages and at times it still feels hard to believe that he could have a smash trailer for himself in the following months. But Ridley got in due to high fan demand and his importance in the Metroid series. And while his inclusion to Smash was a double edged sword for us in that it made our hopes higher then ever without actually giving us any solid proof that he would be in,, K.Rool should not be that far fetched as a newcomer. Smash 4, and especially Corrin, made a lot of people feel smash has only become a game about relevancy, but Smash has always been a gaming library, of Nintendo's greatest characters and achievements. Hold out strong Kremling Krew, cause if there is any series that deserves more reps, its Donkey Kong, and if there is any character who has far exceeded his dues, its K.Rool (and hopefully Dixie following).

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Like I said though, there's still a chance of something new to be revealed at SDCC, even if it's not a newcomer. Was the MK8 BotW update announced at SDCC or was it just a timing coincidence? If it's the former, I could possibly see them doing something similar for Smash tomorrow.
I think it was more-so a timing coincidence if anything else and was not announced at SDCC.

Jimmy42893

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jimmy42893
Assuming we don't get anything this week, does anyone think they may troll us all and casually drop a reveal on the Smash Blog at some point instead of in a Direct? The blog has been up for six weeks, and in that time it hasn't shown us anything new except for a few songs. It seems nonsensical to me that they'd go to the trouble of creating and updating the blog if they knew from the outset that it would be so useless.

StormC

Smash Hero
Looks like Sakurai was serious about "don't expect too many new challengers."

Anybody here still hoping for a July reveal?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Not overly concerned here. For original characters, my guess is two shown in Nintendo Directs pre-release (August and October, let's say), one streamed on the Smash site, one shown in a Smash-exclusive Direct, and one shown only post-release. And that's not counting the possibility of characters doubling up in trailers like K. Rool and Dixie, or even unrelated characters who fit together (say Banjo-Kazooie faces off with a new witch in Ashely). Plus echoes, which can go wherever.

I of course would've liked that rumor for a Direct tomorrow to be true, and it was worth paying attention on account of the coincidental reveals (the Pikachu pop, the new Pokémon and Mario Kart info) but it always was going to be a longshot. Whatever, on the bright side, it's helped this month pass more quickly so we're all closer to the next Direct and release.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm still sticking with:

-August newcomer in a Direct
-October Smash Direct with 1-2 newcomers
-November reveal (possibly with a countdown trailer a la Robin/Lucina)

And a couple of echoes thrown in.

SmashingXan2

Smash Journeyman
We're not getting an announcement tomorrow. Fake leaks are fake.

Still, whether there is an announcement or not does nothing to affect our King's chances. They are higher than ever this round - I'd put it at a coin flip, and I'm pretty pessimistic with that. The fact that K.Rool is on everyone's minds is a good thing, and we can be assured that if K.Rool isn't in vanilla, that Sakurai will mention him by name and he'll be one of the first considered for DLC.

Our finest hour approaches...
It's only 1, there still some time (I might be overly optimistic, but oh well)

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
This is simply taking way too long. Look, I know it's unrealistic to expect some news after the bomb we got at E3 (Ridley and everybody else). But I wish there were another way besides just dragging the wait for new news on and on for months. Sakurai is just toying with us. :/

Either way, I think a little of my hope will be lost if the Direct leak's false...

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
maybe it's only one more new fighter. I don't think it's right the only see that new smash smash only once. you know, right before they reveal a character

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
Listen to yourself. No. It will be more than one fighter at least my dude. Aaaaaaand they didn't introduce echo fighters as a concept just to show us one of them and pat themselves on the back.

Come on buddy, chin up!

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
If there were really was 1 other new character, I don't see why they wouldn't have announced them along with the rest of the cast. I think absolute worst case we're getting 2 + echoes, but my money's in the range of 3-6. Time will tell.

If there's nothing planned for August, I'm guessing it's going to be a one thing every three months.

March: Teaser with Inklings
June: E3, all vets + Daisy and Ridley
September: Direct focused mostly or entirely on Smash, with 2-3 newcomer announcements
December: The release. Anyone not revealed by that point would get their trailers later, a la Bowser Jr. and Duck Hunt

cothero

Smash Lord
People are getting too delusional about how many newcomers are left to be revealed. I've seen leaks talking about 11-12 newcomers and some people are biting it. Remember Vergeben (the most credited leaker so far) said they'll add 5 or 6 more new characters, aside from Inkling, Daisy and Ridley.

Last edited:

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
People are getting too delusional about how many newcomers are left to be revealed. I've seen leaks talking about 11-12 newcomers and some people are biting it. Remember Vergeben (the most credited leaker so far) said they'll add 5 or 6 more new characters, aside from Inkling, Daisy and Ridley.
I'm banking on around 10 more newcomers, with 5-8 unique ones and 2-3 echoes. Pretty optimistic but Sakurai keeps surprising us and the game had a long dev cycle so there's that.

Last edited:

Space Detective

Smash Journeyman
what's annoying me is that if the leak was false, how would a false leak be getting things correct?
Pure coincidence. Just because something is improbable to randomly predict doesn't mean it cannot happen, especially with the dozens of fake leaks every week.
Remember Vergeben (the most credited leaker so far)
He really isn't. The vast majority of his info was piggybacking off existing leaks, some of it was iffy ("no cuts" is different than "EVERYONE IS HERE") and a lot of his non-Smash info for E3 just plain turned out wrong.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Pure coincidence. Just because something is improbable to randomly predict doesn't mean it cannot happen, especially with the dozens of fake leaks every week.
Either that OR the leaker did know about those things, so he decided to fabricate his own leak adding the truths that would make him more credible. Cause seriously, who the heck predicts Funko out of all things

Dru2

Hail to the King
NNID
DruetheDruid
3DS FC
0189-9845-3398
He really isn't. The vast majority of his info was piggybacking off existing leaks, some of it was iffy ("no cuts" is different than "EVERYONE IS HERE") and a lot of his non-Smash info for E3 just plain turned out wrong.
Is that why he was able to predict every Dragon Ball Fighterz DLC character for Season 1?

Seriously, don't count him out just because he's had a few misses. Sure, Ridley has been memed to death and could just be a lucky guess, but Daisy and Ridley at the same time? Also, predicting "no cuts" even if it wasn't "every single character ever is back" is still something to think about. Clearly he has connections.

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
Again, this would not be the first time a Smash game went months without new information. I can see them revealing more as the release date nears, around November to rekindle the fire.

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
Yeah truee i remember after the first reveal...we got rosalina in december after 5 months with old content

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, we passed some months until Rosalina, but SmashU hype train was longer, more than a year with trailers, veterans and reveals. This time we only have 6 months till the launch, and already passed one.

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
Yeah, we passed some months until Rosalina, but SmashU hype train was longer, more than a year with trailers, veterans and reveals. This time we only have 6 months till the launch, and already passed one.
less newcomer less reveal. its just that.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
It's also the price we have to pay for getting the "Everyone is here" trailer. If they didn't do that we'd probably have veteran reveals along the way to keep us entertained enough.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
We're only a little over a month out from E3. Honestly, this is nothing in comparison to past info droughts. What was it, something like a year between the E3 2006 Brawl reveal and the time the Dojo blog began regular updates? There was radio silence for the longest time before we got any new content reveals, and it's not like they showed off a massive amount of content to begin with, unlike Ultimate's reveal, which flooded us with content right out of the gate. We didn't even have demo gameplay to sort through. It was basically the brief (but epic) E3 trailer and the renders for the 9 officially revealed characters, and that was it.

Not trying to sound like a grumpy old man stereotype, but it could be so much worse, and I'm so grateful those kinds of content droughts aren't something we really have to deal with anymore (unless we're talking about Yoshi games, for some odd reason). Personally, I was expecting July to be a quiet month for Smash news ever since the game's reveal. Nintendo usually likes to have a cooldown period after really hype-worthy reveals. I think it's pretty likely we'll see something in mid to late August, so hopefully it's not a long wait from now.

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
less newcomer less reveal. its just that.
It's true, maybe a reveal per month could fit well, but it's needed some planification for doing that, there's no reason in monthly Directs. Or there are not many newcomers (6-8) or they will be revealed in packs, I don't know.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I'm sure August will be the time we get new information, I'm just wondering if we will ever get Smash trailers outside of Directs this time..because really we could get a new announcement any day at anytime it's basically whenever Sakurai wants to share new info

D

Deleted member

This thread has been a lot slower (at least by its own standards) this past week. Hopefully after the 22nd is behind us we can find something else to talk about.

Not having a lot going on, that always hinders.

I kinda hate that the updates all focus on pointing out everything that was confirmed at E3, and if you wanted information on the characters that are already confirmed, they got screenshots and videos. Only the music track is the only thing interesting right now.

Top Bottom