• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Part of me feels like we'll get another remix of Gangplank Galleon, but I think a remix of Crocodile Cacophony is possible. I just hope they end up adding the originals themes as well. If we manage to get the Gangplank Galleon with all his fight themes from DKC 1-3 (along with his fight in DK64) then it'll be a dream come true.

Also, I know this is unlikely, but I'd actually like to see Sakurai surprise us and give us a remix of K. Rool's Acid Punk from Donkey Kong Land 1.

As for characters I'd support after. Well, I'm already apart of the Shadow thread, but I'll definitely be hoping on to support both Issac and Ashley. I've really wanted both since Brawl and would be really happy to see them playable. I remember my heart was crushed when Ashley was confirmed as an AT in Smash 4. I was pretty bummed out the whole day. Seeing her be playable would make me really happy. Especially since I'm a big WarioWare fan. As for Issac... We'll they did him dirty by removing him completely in Smash 4. I think he should really be made playable this time around. Of course, I'd also be more involved with the Dixie Kong support as like most of you guys here I want to see more than 1 DK rep.
I've always wondered what's up with those flying pigs?

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
I've always wondered what's up with those flying pigs?
Those are the Hogwash! They're these flying pig enemies that were exclusive to the Donkey Kong Land games. All they do is fly towards you to hurt you. It's nothing really special, but they're pretty adorable to look at (even if they're trying to kill you lol).

Luigi player

Smash Master
As for characters I'd support after. Well, I'm already apart of the Shadow thread, but I'll definitely be hoping on to support both Issac and Ashley. I've really wanted both since Brawl and would be really happy to see them playable. I remember my heart was crushed when Ashley was confirmed as an AT in Smash 4. I was pretty bummed out the whole day. Seeing her be playable would make me really happy. Especially since I'm a big WarioWare fan. As for Issac... We'll they did him dirty by removing him completely in Smash 4. I think he should really be made playable this time around. Of course, I'd also be more involved with the Dixie Kong support as like most of you guys here I want to see more than 1 DK rep.
Do you support/think of Shadow as an echo? It's pretty possible for him to be one even if it'd be kinda sad since it would be cool and easy to make him a little different.

Anyway, as for myself.. I'm hoping that we do get that dual reveal with K. Rool and Dixie. If not I might start going to the Dixie support thread more.
There definitely are some other characters I still want, like Shadow and Tails, but I'd probably not actively support/discuss them too much, except for maybe looking into the threads every now and then to see whats up.

I'd be super satisfied with K. Rool (#2 most wanted) and Dixie (#3). My #1 Knuckles didn't make it and my #4 Waluigi also didn't. The rest isn't that important to have in Smash for me, even though some of them would be really nice too.

(these 4 were also the only newcomer chars I really wanted for Smash4 (Mewtwo was the vet I really wanted back). I thought since I only wanted few I couldn't be too disappointed [and I obviously didn't expect Knuckles to really make it anyway], boy was I wrong... just one of them would've at least made me enjoy the new roster more - but honestly I got nothing besides Mewtwo (which is great at least))

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
I got one for you. I think a lot about possible echo fighters (E. Honda being my favorite, he even fits Bowser's moveset better than Bowser if you really think about it) but who else from the DK universe would be good as an echo?

And also, who could these characters be echoes of:

Funky Kong
Swanky Kong
Cranky Kong

PPNY

Smash Journeyman
If we get any kind of song in the game I want a Medley of all three of the first K.Rool battles. They have that new one for megaman 4 and i'de love to hear a composition of Gang-Plank Galleon, Crocodile Cacophony and Big Boss Blues.

Any song from DKC2 remixed would also be my dream, but we will see what happens. Im still curious to know what the entrance for his character onto the stage will be.

Entrances

Appears on stage playing dead then gets up.
Comes falling down on a Cannon Ball
Does one of his long jumps from his first fight ((kinda boring))
Lowered on chain like DK 64
Flys in using Blunderbuss

I wanted to discuss Victory themes, but considering every character who has received a remix version compared to the rest of the rest of their series ((Bowser, Meta-Knight and Ridley come to mind)) its likely just going to be a remixed version of the Bonus stage from DKC1.

Finally, i still feel K.Rool will get a tiny bit of a redesign, in the same way Ridley did. Maybe not in the same way, as Ridley sort of is a way more serious villain, but I could see them slightly tweaking the old Rare version a touch, keeping the same K.Rool touch but adding a bit to make it pop out some. We haven't seen a proper version of him for so long, im really excited to see what an proper update with the old design in mind would look like. I just really want them to keep the golden stomach.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Speaking of victory themes I'm hoping that K. Rool would get a rock type victory theme of theme the DK victory fanfare, sort of like what Meta Knight gets. I don't think he'd get a unique victory theme, so I atleast hope he gets his DK fanfare music with some guitars in there..I believe Bowser has the same thing for his victory theme

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
I've got a couple possible discussion topics for us.

Many songs that have already been in Smash games have gotten new remixes like Wily Castle, Ridley's Theme, Delfino Plaza, and Brinstar Depths. Do you think this could mean a new Gangplank Galleon or Stickerbush Symphony?

Who will you support after K. Rool gets announced?
Maybe the best thing about DK universe it's the music. Jungle Japes probably is one of my favourite themes in videogames ever but 20 remixes are more than enough. 'Aquatic ambience' , 'Lockjaw saga', 'Scorch n' torch' or 'Homecomig hijinx' are serious bussiness. Maybe it won't fit well in a fight but still way better than filler remixes. A cool thing about music could be restore the full DK Rap version but in the demo Chunky and Lanky parts are still missing. And use the actual voices of Kongs instead that annoying GRONF GRONF EEEK thing, for God's sake.

Who will I support if K. Rool joins? I'm with Dixie, but if she is not revelaled alongside the croc no much hope will left. I'll go with Banjo-Kazooie, alongside the Ice Climbers, the only ones that can make me buy a new amiibo.

Last edited:

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
Much as I DO wish the leak was true, I just can't bring myself to believe it.

Sorry if I'm late to the convo about it ^^;

As for who I'll support after K.Rool...I've got a short list and a long;
The short list is a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT of characters
The long list; Geno, Ashley, Adeline, Gooey, Bandana Dee, Dixie Kong, Amaterasu, Crash Bandicoot, Klonoa, Valkyrie, Lloyd Irving, Masked Man, Terra Branford, Pepsiman, Shovel Knight or Shantae...It's only now I realize I have a ****-ton of characters I support. The sad thing is this isn't even ALL the characters I support XD

Last edited:

Jimmy42893

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jimmy42893
Anyone else see this? Nintendo Life did an interview with Bill Trinen and Nate Bihldorff where they more or less confirmed that Sakurai hears fan outcry for characters and then promptly ignores it and does whatever he feels like instead. I'm sure it's really a bit more complicated than that, but still, it makes me nervous that he's just gonna ignore us again.

From the interview:
Was it a big moment for you guys when you found out that Ridley was, in fact, going to be in the game? Was it directly in response to fan outcry about Ridley, or was it something that had been planned and fans happened to jump on it at the right time?

Bihldorff: A lot of people complain that a lot of characters that are still out there, they will complain about those, it doesn't mean that they will make it. I think Mr. Sakurai hears it, but then I think he just muffles it out and puts in the characters that he wants to put in. I mean he clearly listens to the community. I mean, you heard him speak at the tournament. I think he knew that the scene would be psyched that Ridley got in, but I don't think that it was the matter of, "oh, the way this reached its breaking point, it's time to put in Ridley before this collapses on top of itself."

Trinen: And certainly, if they were all to rally for the fat hockey player from NES...

Nate: Hey man!

Trinen: That wouldn't happen.

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
you know what? i think that i like the idea of a dixie and krool reveal even more.
i can understand the crying, many people don't believe that we will maybe got 2 characters from the same serie.
they blame the "low newcomer" thing that Sakurai tell us and hate the idea to get 2 dk from 7 possible newcomer

If we dont get simon belmont(not my most favorite) or any third party for Dixie Kong and K.rool...i don't care and you should.

I mean, Smash bros is a NiNtendo all star fighting game in the end.
if Sakurai think this is the Ultimate Smash Bros game...they need to put the 2 mosts popular characters
from a IP that reaaally need 2 to be Ultimate.

Last edited:

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
Anyone else see this? Nintendo Life did an interview with Bill Trinen and Nate Bihldorff where they more or less confirmed that Sakurai hears fan outcry for characters and then promptly ignores it and does whatever he feels like instead. I'm sure it's really a bit more complicated than that, but still, it makes me nervous that he's just gonna ignore us again.

From the interview:
That's Bill Trinen speculating on Sakurai's mindset. While he obviously knows better than us, it's not Sakurai's words. And if we're talking Smash 4 and earlier that definitely holds true. But I think E3 made it clear that (so far) this doesn't seem to be the case with Ultimate. Sakurai explicitly mentioned, in regards to both all vets returning and Ridley, that those decisions were largely due to fan demand. The next character reveal should give us a lot more insight on that front. If it's another fan favorite, I think we know what we're in for in terms of the roster.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
^Yea, I feel you. It does feel like make or break. If K. Rool isn't in by now he'll never be in Smash. At least, that's how I feel.
If there's a smash 6 and king k rool became relevant again those words will be eaten in all levels

From the interview:
In smash 4 that's more believable but that's just a speculation by bill

Besides sakurai pretty much ina way confirmed the fan focus for this on and again proves king k rool is known by sakurai since he hears the out cries of fans

And if you looked a little further you notice the part that sakurai does homework on the character for smashes

not only does he have an innate knowledge of each one of the characters, but he does so much research about what they are supposed to look like, what their move set is based on. It comes from somewhere in video game lore. He is a student of video games, period. It comes through the second you see a stage, a piece of music, a character, just breathes love for whatever that franchise is.
So the k rool bowser echo theory Is clearly dead dead dead.

Last edited:

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
If there's a smash 6 and king k rool became relevant again those words will be eaten in all levels
I can see where he's coming from, though. Even if K. Rool does return to the forefront of the DK series, it's highly unlikely that an eventual Smash 6 would have anywhere near the roster size of Ultimate. They might heavily streamline the roster, as getting in 70+ characters plus newcomers is just not feasible no matter how many years it would be in development. It would actually kill Sakurai if they were to try that.

Because of this, it can definitely seem like Ultimate is the "last chance" for some of the more out-there characters to get their shot. Not to say K. Rool is out-there, but if he does get in to Smash it will have completely been due to fan demand.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
That's a good interview but people are going to be reactionary and dumb with that quote about character additions, in terms of using it to promote their views on the game. "Oh, haha, guess popularity isn't everything! People are blowing the focus on fanservice out of proportion! Back to your regularly scheduled promotions!"

As K. Rool fans often have to say when people accuse them of all thinking he's a 100% lock, there still are reasons he could miss out. But it's not an either-or between Sakurai adding the characters he wants and catering to fans...in fact, there's evidence to point to him personally enjoying giving the fans what they want, with the "everyone is here" approach.

Tinfoil hat time, I think the NoA guys, who see the brunt of the U.S. social media and articles on the game, had Waluigi in mind when making those comments. They don't have an omniscient window into Sakurai's mind but they can see how the recent memeing and WAAA posts haven't really made a difference in the final rosters to date.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
I've got a couple possible discussion topics for us.

Many songs that have already been in Smash games have gotten new remixes like Wily Castle, Ridley's Theme, Delfino Plaza, and Brinstar Depths. Do you think this could mean a new Gangplank Galleon or Stickerbush Symphony?

Who will you support after K. Rool gets announced?
As far as new remix/covers go, it is likely we'd get a new Gangplank Galleon or other DK songs, but not a sure thing.

If K. Rool gets announced, Bartz Klauser of FF5 either becomes my only most wanted once again or is joined by somebody from Id Software or SNK's Terry Bogard

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
Part of me feels like we'll get another remix of Gangplank Galleon, but I think a remix of Crocodile Cacophony is possible. I just hope they end up adding the originals themes as well. If we manage to get the Gangplank Galleon with all his fight themes from DKC 1-3 (along with his fight in DK64) then it'll be a dream come true.

Also, I know this is unlikely, but I'd actually like to see Sakurai surprise us and give us a remix of K. Rool's Acid Punk from Donkey Kong Land 1.
I'd actually really love that to appear in maybe a Donkey Kong Land Medley theme witrh Cavey Cavey and the Construction Site theme, but I had no idea the DKL boss theme had a name until now.

daddledingo

Smash Cadet
NNID
lucamaltese1
3DS FC
0276-3432-5975
Switch FC
SW-5490-4392-0531
Unrelated but why do people think metal mario will be in. It sounds kind of dumb.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
One thing of note about the leak, or something that can help or put it in question. If we are to believe that Metal Sonic is to be playable in Sonic Mania, and the Sonic Mania shorts have been putting emphasis on him, the next and final short that is coming on the 17th might hint towards his playable role. We should look out for this possibility.

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
That sounds really nice but the leak was full of sweet sounding details like that that just aren't very realistic for them to all be true. You just know that even if some of it is true, stuff like Mother 3D is as unlikely as it ever was.

D

Deleted member

Some want Metal Mario because he was coded as his own fighter in SSB64, though I don't think it's really worth making him an echo.

Either way, KKR is my top want for SSBU except for B-K, but they're sadly unlikely.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Some want Metal Mario because he was coded as his own fighter in SSB64, though I don't think it's really worth making him an echo.

Either way, KKR is my top want for SSBU except for B-K, but they're sadly unlikely.
Those people do know that there’s a metal box item right?
What would happen if Metal Mario used it?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Those people do know that there’s a metal box item right?
What would happen if Metal Mario used it?
I heard some say the metal texture of metal mario would be different than the texture the metal box item gives you

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
It's still dumb. Metal Mario wouldn't be an echo. He'd be the same damn fighter but with different weight and flinch resistance values.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
What's so special about Metal Mario that Giant Donkey Kong or Fighting Polygon team didn't have?

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
Honestly I'd rather have had Giga Bowser as a Bowser echo due to him at least having a cooler design, attack attributes and effects and deeper voice.

Too bad it will never happen, :(

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
The leak looks super iffy tbh. At least we'll know for sure in a week. I just want to hear SOMETHING though. The wait is killing me!

Luigi player

Smash Master
I'd love Metal Mario. I always wanted to play him in 64 xD only later through some hackstuff was it possible but it's really fun (even though he probably sucks)!

I did think about him possibly joining in Smash Ultimate, but I don't think it'll happen. He wouldn't be an echo though since echos have the same speeds and everything.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Are there plans to either announce characters between now and December or is the finalized, complete roster? Can we expect to see more at a later date?
Trinen: We can answer that when we get closer to December.
I guess we shouldn't expect K Rool reveal this month...

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It's unclear, but it could imply if we don't get monthly reveals, that the roster is even smaller than people have been speculating

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I still think we should wait and see since Bill's answer basically boils down to "Wait and see." He said neither no or yes, just that we would get concrete answer to character reveals closer to the date of Ultimate's release.

Top Bottom