• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
I’ve been saying 3-5 newcomers left outside of echoes. Any more seems crazy optimistic.
Yes, but that still falls in line with a reveal a month, or at the very least every 2 months.

But in fairness, that was probably one of the only ways Trinen could have answered that question without revealing anything. It does make the July leak/rumor seem a little more unlikely, but I doubt we'll have to wait that long for something, unless they plan to reveal the entire remaining newcomers in the final months, which would be crazy but then they risk everything getting leaked at once like with Smash 4.

Last edited:

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
Unrelated but why do people think metal mario will be in. It sounds kind of dumb.
It's really more of a dream for me, but i do want him in, but kind of being like the godlike, secret final boss version of mario, kinda like Akuma to Ryu

he'd have more Mario 64 esque moves like the ground pound as a down special and the dive move as a dash attack, he'd be really powerful and heavy, maybe shooting two fireballs instead of one

give him a more serious personality and boom!

as for the metal box, he doesn't necessarily need to have the metal texture, maybe something more akin to how he is in my Signature.

do i expect him in? 20% chance. do i want him in? YES I DO ^0^

Last edited:

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
Do you support/think of Shadow as an echo? It's pretty possible for him to be one even if it'd be kinda sad since it would be cool and easy to make him a little different.

Anyway, as for myself.. I'm hoping that we do get that dual reveal with K. Rool and Dixie. If not I might start going to the Dixie support thread more.
There definitely are some other characters I still want, like Shadow and Tails, but I'd probably not actively support/discuss them too much, except for maybe looking into the threads every now and then to see whats up.

I'd be super satisfied with K. Rool (#2 most wanted) and Dixie (#3). My #1 Knuckles didn't make it and my #4 Waluigi also didn't. The rest isn't that important to have in Smash for me, even though some of them would be really nice too.

(these 4 were also the only newcomer chars I really wanted for Smash4 (Mewtwo was the vet I really wanted back). I thought since I only wanted few I couldn't be too disappointed [and I obviously didn't expect Knuckles to really make it anyway], boy was I wrong... just one of them would've at least made me enjoy the new roster more - but honestly I got nothing besides Mewtwo (which is great at least))
Yea I support Shadow as an echo. I think it'd be nice if he got his own original moveset, but that doesn't seem too likely. If it's echo or nothing then I'll gladly take him as a clone. I'm a big fan of Shadow, so there's no way I won't be happy with him being added to Ultimate.

Also, same here. I think most of us want a dual reveal between K. Rool and Dixie. That'd be a dream come true.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Unrelated but why do people think metal mario will be in. It sounds kind of dumb.
If we get K. Rool in they could add Pink Gold Peach for all I care.
But I agree, Metal Mario is a dumb idea. Taking the concept of echoes too far. But I'll take the Metal Mario stage an music from N64 instead.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Yeah I agree with that. I'm not fan of having a third Mario. I personally prefer having a variety of characters from a character standpoint instead of putting in different versions of certain characters. Though it would be nice to see the Metal Mario stage from the N64 plus the theme returning.
I've got a couple possible discussion topics for us.

Many songs that have already been in Smash games have gotten new remixes like Wily Castle, Ridley's Theme, Delfino Plaza, and Brinstar Depths. Do you think this could mean a new Gangplank Galleon or Stickerbush Symphony?

Who will you support after K. Rool gets announced?
Well, Waluigi would advance to my most wanted character. There's also Dixie, Funky, Cranky, Banjo & Kazooie, Isaac, Samurai Goroh, Black Shadow, Dillon, Dark Samus, Micaiah, and plus more.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yo so when can we really expect a new DKC game? Having ****loads of fun with Tropical Freeze Switch now, especially since I never owned a Wii U, and obviously I missed out. But knowing the game is originally from 2014 makes me hope a new game comes soon. It did very well on Switch I've read before, so am still hoping for a total new experience soon.

By the way I disagree with everyone ever who claimed Diddy was the worst Kong in Tropical Freeze. He's still my favorite. Hardly use Dixie, and sadly never see much use for Cranky. Also played some Funky Mode, but once I got the hang of the flow and difficulty of the game, I switched over to original mode.

Still, Tropical Freeze is one AMAZING experience and Nintendo would miss out greatly if they didn't continue with the Returns franchise. And hopefully flesh it out from there. The engine is greatly build, and controls perfectly. It's truly a master piece. Glad I finally got to experience this, and I want more before I grow too old.

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
Hey I mean, we have three Links. Three Marios isn't out of the question, but if we were to get one I'd say Paper Mario is the way to go.

Also, to rewind a bit to an earlier discussion of Donkey Kong characters, I had an idea for something they could do in the next DK game. There's the trio of Lanky, Tiny, and Chunky from DK64 who have largely been forgotten since then. Tiny has had appearances in a few spinoffs, and Lanky in Barrel Blast, but that's not saying much, and Chunky has gotten nothing.

So this won't happen, but I'm thinking it would be cool if they came back as a trio in either a DK64 remake/enhanced port or a new Country game altogether. They could even market them as the "lost Kongs", lol. The three have such great potential, even Tiny who's a lot like Dixie but could have some uniqueness with her shrinking ability. Hell, when I was a kid I'd make up plans for a DKC4 involving the DK64 gang + Dixie and Kiddy as a cast of seven interchangeable characters as they fight the Kremlings and K. Rool, who of course has some new persona.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Yo so when can we really expect a new DKC game? Having ****loads of fun with Tropical Freeze Switch now, especially since I never owned a Wii U, and obviously I missed out. But knowing the game is originally from 2014 makes me hope a new game comes soon. It did very well on Switch I've read before, so am still hoping for a total new experience soon.

By the way I disagree with everyone ever who claimed Diddy was the worst Kong in Tropical Freeze. He's still my favorite. Hardly use Dixie, and sadly never see much use for Cranky. Also played some Funky Mode, but once I got the hang of the flow and difficulty of the game, I switched over to original mode.

Still, Tropical Freeze is one AMAZING experience and Nintendo would miss out greatly if they didn't continue with the Returns franchise. And hopefully flesh it out from there. The engine is greatly build, and controls perfectly. It's truly a master piece. Glad I finally got to experience this, and I want more before I grow too old.
The thing with Diddy is that his Jetpack is a strictly inferior version of Dixie's hair as it has no vertical lift. By comparison Dixie can glide in Diddys trajectory by letting go after a partial hover and holding again.

Dixie's hair isn't as good an underwater propeller as Diddys Jetpack though - that's his niche, as a time trial companion on water levels.

Cranky is very much a time trials character. His pogo bounces higher than a normal jump without slowing him down like Dixie's hovering, which makes him very quicker albeit much harder to control.

Jimmy42893

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jimmy42893
I guess we shouldn't expect K Rool reveal this month...
It's unclear, but it could imply if we don't get monthly reveals, that the roster is even smaller than people have been speculating
I thought the same thing when I first saw that part of the interview, but ultimately I see it the same way spoilerowl spoilerowl does: it was more or less a wait-and-see answer, and Bill really couldn't have answered the question in any other way without revealing something. "Closer to December" could mean November 30, but technically it could also mean July 15; we'll just have to wait and see.

I will agree, though, that the absence of monthly reveals would suggest an even smaller roster size than people may have expected. On that front, I totally agree with StormC StormC 's prediction of 3-5 non-echo newcomers. Even with everyone throwing around newcomer predictions in the double digits, I always figured that the best we could hope for was 5 newcomers and 3 new echoes. (I could also see them adding 3 newcomers and 5 new echoes, since echoes are presumably easier to develop, but I don't think it's a particularly good look for Sakurai to have the echoes outnumber the newcomers, so I don't really expect that to happen.)

Something else to keep in mind is that they'll probably want to keep at least some characters secret until after launch, so if there aren't many new additions and all the returning vets have already been announced, they really can't afford an announcement every month or else there'll be no surprises at launch. Of course, if we do see something this month, then that would likely suggest that they do have some extra characters to spare. Again, we'll just have to wait and see.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
vergeben said at minimum us 6 newcomers in smash bros utlimate

and my prediction is 7 non echo newcomers but it really depends on how echos are placed in the roster though

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
On the bright side. After no fake leaks happen in this month. There comes EVO in early August, with good chances of Smash news. And after that, the possibility of having news will become more imminent as the weeks pass on. I would say we will get some Direct in early to mid September at the very least.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
On the bright side. After no fake leaks happen in this month. There comes EVO in early August, with good chances of Smash news. And after that, the possibility of having news will become more imminent as the weeks pass on. I would say we will get some Direct in early to mid September at the very least.
Good chance? Since when has Nintendo revealed anything at a tournament like EVO?

Mccdbz5

Smash Journeyman
Random thought; I was watching some breakdown videos of some of the characters in Ultimate, and one of the videos I saw was on Bowser. I noticed that his down smash has changed. He now rakes his claws in each direction. I want to preface this by saying this is COMPLETELY GRASPING AT STRAWS, but does this make anyone else feel slightly pessimistic about King K. Rool's chances? I know this sounds entirely ridiculous; the only reason I slightly feel this way is that I can't really picture King K. Rool doing much else for a down smash attack, and I'm not sure why they changed Bowser's in the first place. This honestly gives me the same impression that Bowser Jr.'s cannon ball attack gave me in Smash 4. If you're unfamiliar with what Bowser's new down smash looks like, here's a video of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBz-8wzJAT8

Fast forward to the 3:14 mark. Again, I would just like to reiterate that I know that this is ridiculous. It's just the gut feeling I got when I saw this and was curious if anyone else got the same reaction. I've been extremely positive about King K. Rool's chances this time around, but with the number of times I've been let down in the past, I can't help but think that it could very well happen again.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Random thought; I was watching some breakdown videos of some of the characters in Ultimate, and one of the videos I saw was on Bowser. I noticed that his down smash has changed. He now rakes his claws in each direction. I want to preface this by saying this is COMPLETELY GRASPING AT STRAWS, but does this make anyone else feel slightly pessimistic about King K. Rool's chances? I know this sounds entirely ridiculous; the only reason I slightly feel this way is that I can't really picture King K. Rool doing much else for a down smash attack, and I'm not sure why they changed Bowser's in the first place. This honestly gives me the same impression that Bowser Jr.'s cannon ball attack gave me in Smash 4. If you're unfamiliar with what Bowser's new down smash looks like, here's a video of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBz-8wzJAT8

Fast forward to the 3:14 mark. Again, I would just like to reiterate that I know that this is ridiculous. It's just the gut feeling I got when I saw this and was curious if anyone else got the same reaction. I've been extremely positive about King K. Rool's chances this time around, but with the number of times I've been let down in the past, I can't help but think that it could very well happen again.
This isn't a cause for concern at all. It likely was a decision to change Bowser's DSmash and make it more than just a situationally useful tool.

K. Rool's DSmash could be anything from the DK64 butt stomp or swinging around his blunderbuss, to stomping his feet as a temper tantrum or doing the worm.

Tony Duck

Smash Rookie
It’s not a direct, it’s a tournament with both games featured. Whenever or not it has character reveals is a mystery!

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
I'm currently trying to get a reply from the person who posted it, I know him from SSB modding in the past.

It’s not a direct, it’s a tournament with both games featured. Whenever or not it has character reveals is a mystery!
Oh... well that kills the hopes. :(

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
To clarify on the stream event that some people think it's a direct. It's not, it's a tournament on 2 games; Aces and Smash Bros Ultimate from the E3 build.

And speaking of the direct, if that leak claims that the direct is true on July 22nd on Sunday, remember that Japan is like 12-15 hours from our country. So it'll be showcase in the morning of Monday there, and night on Sunday here.

Last edited:

John Dylan Smith

Banned via Warnings
West Chester Township, Butler County, Ohio
To clarify on the stream event that some people think it's a direct. It's not, it's a tournament on 2 games; Aces and Smash Bros Ultimate from the E3 build.
Well I looked at the livestream video for this tournament! And Underneath the Japanese Smash Bros logo! It said the word "Special" in English (And it did not say tournament or anything like that)! This possibily indicates that they might reveal something for Smash Bros Ultimate before they get to the tournament itself (And while I don't have high hopes for that, I still am a tad bit optimistic that something will be revealed either there or in something latter on this month)!

Also! To everyone saying stop expecting a newcomer or don't expect anything new at all! I would please ask all of you to stop being massive murder joys for those who are still holding onto a glimmer of hope for those are expecting a new reveal this month that's not just revealing SOMETHING WE ALREADY KNOW ABOUT FOR ****S BEAUTIFUL SEXY SAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Good chance? Since when has Nintendo revealed anything at a tournament like EVO?
Well, considering that it seems Nintendo wants to push more an more the esports scene on its games; I would not be surprised if it was their first time for them to make a reveal at EVO. At least I'd rather bet on EVO over some small SSBU demo tournament at some Japan expo. Having said this, a Heihachi reveal would fit EVO more over K. Rool.

PPNY

Smash Journeyman
I feel his move pool entirely depends on if they grab moves from all the games he has been in or if the just try to make one mostly out of the Crown and Cape Costume. It would be cool to see his blunderbuss, but its always possible it wont be a part of his move set.

I hope they use the old deep voiced "OUUUGH" sounds though, i'll be disappointing if most of his styles dont come from the old rare version

D

Deleted member

Heard all the leaks. Yeah their fake, but fun to speculate. If King K. Rool is not added this time, I'm ready for the news and will be content. Keep hoping one day he puts up always hoping, but keeping expectectations in check.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Well, considering that it seems Nintendo wants to push more an more the esports scene on its games; I would not be surprised if it was their first time for them to make a reveal at EVO. At least I'd rather bet on EVO over some small SSBU demo tournament at some Japan expo. Having said this, a Heihachi reveal would fit EVO more over K. Rool.
Admit it, it was hard to confess saying that being a K. Rool fan, wasn't it?

StormC

Smash Hero
I feel his move pool entirely depends on if they grab moves from all the games he has been in or if the just try to make one mostly out of the Crown and Cape Costume. It would be cool to see his blunderbuss, but its always possible it wont be a part of his move set.

I hope they use the old deep voiced "OUUUGH" sounds though, i'll be disappointing if most of his styles dont come from the old rare version
Considering almost every ballot vote would mention the blunderbuss I'm absolutely sure it will be in his moveset.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Considering almost every ballot vote would mention the blunderbuss I'm absolutely sure it will be in his moveset.
Ballot or not the blunderbust would be in the moveset by default

In that same interview they mention sakurai does all his homework on characters so he knows what moves to give the characters

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
Heard all the leaks. Yeah their fake, but fun to speculate. If King K. Rool is not added this time, I'm ready for the news and will be content. Keep hoping one day he puts up always hoping, but keeping expectectations in check.
This is how I feel. The evidence is there, and it seems likely, but after reading that interview with Nate and Trinen, I'm almost certain DK isn't going to be anything more than what it has. Dixie is very likely if Tropical Freeze is anything to go by, and even that seems fifty/fifty. I'm also banking on a fifty/fifty with K. Rool, leaning on the "He's not in" side. I'm being as realistic as possible and also realizing how many times I've been burned when it comes to Smash, even this one (Bomberman). I'll watch silently in the corner and see what comes in the upcoming days.

I also think that there'll be two more newcomers at best and they won't be the ones people hope for. Ridley was the big victory here; shutting up all the haters and seeing their arguments go straight to the ****ter en masse. I'll root for them as the game releases and they get their character, it's only a matter if my character joins alongside him. I still don't have a Switch, but K. Rool alone would make me snag one just to show how much I wanted him in Smash, a decade-long wait satisfying my sixteen year-old's hopes and dreams relating to the game.

Anyway, enough ranting.

StormC

Smash Hero
There's not going to be less than 3 non-echo newcomers and I'm very confident in that.

Smash DLC has 3 reveals after E3.
Smash 4 had four wholly unique newcomers left after its last E3.

Trinen's statement is vague and basically means nothing.

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
This is how I feel. The evidence is there, and it seems likely, but after reading that interview with Nate and Trinen, I'm almost certain DK isn't going to be anything more than what it has. Dixie is very likely if Tropical Freeze is anything to go by, and even that seems fifty/fifty. I'm also banking on a fifty/fifty with K. Rool, leaning on the "He's not in" side. I'm being as realistic as possible and also realizing how many times I've been burned when it comes to Smash, even this one (Bomberman). I'll watch silently in the corner and see what comes in the upcoming days.

I also think that there'll be two more newcomers at best and they won't be the ones people hope for. Ridley was the big victory here; shutting up all the haters and seeing their arguments go straight to the ****ter en masse. I'll root for them as the game releases and they get their character, it's only a matter if my character joins alongside him. I still don't have a Switch, but K. Rool alone would make me snag one just to show how much I wanted him in Smash, a decade-long wait satisfying my sixteen year-old's hopes and dreams relating to the game.

Anyway, enough ranting.
Lack of DK newcomers was the biggest complaint about Smash 4's roster and King K. Rool and Dixie are very highly requested. I would be shocked if we didn't get at least one of them.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Lack of DK newcomers was the biggest complaint about Smash 4's roster and King K. Rool and Dixie are very highly requested. I would be shocked if we didn't get at least one of them.
The other biggest complaint about the roster was the lack of villains, so K.Rool would be able to kill two birds with one stone.

zeonie888

Smash Apprentice
Hello! I've been reading this thread and would like to throw my support for the king.

Top Bottom