• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

King K. Rool early moveset discussion

Dε√ilj∦o

Smash Journeyman

Hello and welcome in this thread where we may discuss King K. Rool's moveset, confirmed for Super Smash Bros Ultimate!

Here is a list of the moves of the King we know about so far:

Neutral Attacks

Jab: N/A

Forward Tilt: N/A

Up Tilt: King K. Rool moves his fist upward in an uppercut fashion.
Frame data: UTilt appears to have 26 frames of end lag.
K18.PNG

Down Tilt (Need confirmation): King K. Rool slams his foot on the ground. This move can burry opponents.
K14.png

K15.png

Dash Attack: King K. Rool propels himself forward, thrusting his belly on opponents. This move appears to have Super Armor.
Frame data: Dash attack appears to come out after 12 frames and has super armour on it. Endlag looks to be around 70 frames which seems high.
K3.png

K4.png
Forward Smash: King K. Rool punches his foe with his boxing gloves from Donkey Kong 64.
Frame data: Forward Smash comes out after 14 frames and has super armour on it seems. Endlag looks to be around 56 frames.
K8.png

K9.png
Up Smash: N/A

Down Smash: N/A

Standard Grab: King K. Rool reaches his arm forward to grab opponents.
Framde data: Grab appears to come out after 8 frames, very comparable to other heavyweights.
K16.png
Forward Throw: N/A
Up Throw/Down Throw?: King K. Rool lifts his foe and performs a backbreaker move on them.
K5.png

Back Throw: N/A

Get up attack: N/A

Ledge attack: N/A

Neutral Aerial: N/A
Forward Aerial: King K. Rool performs a fast, aerial dropkick.
Frame data: FAir's hitbox comes out after 12 frames. That's incredible for how strong the move looks. Endlag appears to be around 36 frames which is not so incredible. This seems nice for a killing move or a combo ender.
K12.png

Up Aerial: N/A

Down Aerial: N/A

Back Aerial: N/A

Neutral B: (Blunderbuss) King K. Rool uses his Blunderbuss from Donkey Kong Country 2 to fire a Kannonball that travels through the air. Holding the B button (needs confirmation) then allows the Blunderbuss to vaccum items and ennemies, and fire them, similar to Dedede's Inhale.
Frame Data: Cannonball appears to come out around frame 28 to 30 based on the video, with the suction happening around 30 frames later. Very similar in frame data compared to Bowser Jr., the endlag will be what makes or breaks this move. Seems to end after 42 to 48 frames after having sucking an item.
K.png

K1.png

K2.png

Forward B: (Krown Throw) King K. Rool throws its crown forward. The crown moves like a boomerang ; hitting foes on the front and in the back.
Frame Data: Krown appears to come around frame 26 and after the krown appears you have around 48 frames of endlag, which almost identical to Link's boomerang's frame data.
K10.png

K11.png

Up B: (Kopter Pack) King K. Rool uses his propeller device from Donkey Kong Country 3, and travels vertically in the air.
Frame Data: Kopter appears to come out around frame 14.
K13.png

Down B: (Kounter AKA [[FATT REFLECT]]) King K. Rool exposes his belly, ready to counterattack if an enemy hits it.
Frame Data: Kounter appears to come out around frame 12 and is active for at least 14 frames.

K6.png

K7.png

OP shall be updated as and then as we learn more about the King.
Credit to U Untouch for providing Frame data.

Attachments

Last edited:

Thundross

Smash Rookie
Good list! His Blunderbuss can also suck up the cannonball again if it gets knocked back and shoot it diagonally, as shown here.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Very unique moveset. Hard to say for sure but he looks really laggy

Great job breaking this down. I'm so happy they included Kaptain K. Rool Blunderbuss! The Diddy Kong's Quest fan in me is overloading with HYPE !

Very unique moveset. Hard to say for sure but he looks really laggy
I guess he'll be with the likes of Bowser and Dedede in the big/slow/strong category.

Last edited:

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Yea those games were so awesome when they came out. Some of the best platformsrs around.

What might be his Side Special, is his famous Crown throw. This move looks like it has quite a long startup, and we don't know yet if opponents can grab the crown, but it can be pocket'd by Villager.
That damn Villager :p I wonder if K Rool as another crown just in case, just the other day i was playing Wario and that bigot Villager pocketed my motorcycle for a good chuck of the game.

As you can see, here, this move seems to have super armor cappable of even beating Little Mac's Side B, as seen here:
This Dash attack will give nightmares to a lot of players i'm sure.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
At the end of the trailer we see a move that can seemingly pound enemies into the ground; not sure if it was a tilt or what it was really.

Final Smash is of course the iconic Game Over scene from Donkey Kong 64 in full effect.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
It looks like the start of his hab buries, similar to Wii Fit‘s 3rd hit

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
:link:

Feel pretty good about the moves we have seen so far. . . Just really looking forward to seeing the rest of his aerials and the landing lag that comes with them. Forward-air appears to come out at good frames all things considered, which has me super pumped.

Last edited:

Dε√ilj∦o

Smash Journeyman
I believe the move that buries opponents is his down tilt. It's not his down smash, since we don't see the little flash common to all smash attacks when he uses it.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
He looks like your standard super heavy, but with more of a focus on defence. He has two projectiles to zone with (one of which doubles as a command grab mixup for those who too hastily move in after dealing with the kannonball), and a counter that can help him deal with juggles, but has a bit more lag on his attacks than usual.

Paper_Marzio

Smash Cadet
Hyped for that Dash Attack beating out Mac's Side-B, along with multiple tools that Heavyweights like Bowser/DK/Ganon don't have such as a boomerang-crown, and the Musket

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
I think he might end up better than other heavyweights.
Counter will really help him get back to the stage and he looks to have a more reliable recovery.

TheSMASHtyke

Smash Journeyman
I noticed something at the end of the reveal trailer.

K. Rool at the end looks like he's in his missed tech animation but he doesn't actually get any invincibility frames and goes straight from that to a crawl.

I think this means one of two things:
1) You can crouch / crawl out of the missed tech animation at the expense of your invincibility frames.
2) That's not actually K. Rool's missed tech animation and his crouch animation is him faking his own defeat a la DKC 1. Perfect. Perfect. It's beyond PERFECT.

So, sooooo hopeful it's the second.

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I might be dropping Bowser for the king, here.

He looks like a heavy done right: projectiles, SA, a COUNTER, and actual useful tools.

Though Ridley looks hawt AF too.

So many fat reptiles to lab...

tskidless

Smash Cadet
NNID
tskidless
Something I'm interested in is if can you turn around after you suck someone up with the Blunderbuss. It would be great at ledge guarding if you can. I also wonder if you can move once you throw the crown but I doubt that.

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
At the end of the trailer we see a move that can seemingly pound enemies into the ground; not sure if it was a tilt or what it was really.

Final Smash is of course the iconic Game Over scene from Donkey Kong 64 in full effect.
That bury at the end was him with a super mushroom, I'm assuming. He was definitely larger than usual and I'm pretty sure most characters can do that when they're large. The attack itself was probably his down tilt.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Hahah! I dont even care that K. Rool is the 17# character to have a counter. I was one of the few who pictured he could have a golden belly clank thingy. Lets hope it is as broken as Bayonetta's or at least as strong as Corrin's.

Last edited:

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
So K. Rool's Blunderbuss can suck up its own cannonball and other players, and now I'm wondering if it can suck up other projectiles. There's a lot of shenanigans that could be had a la Villager's Pocket.

So K. Rool's Blunderbuss can suck up its own cannonball and other players, and now I'm wondering if it can suck up other projectiles. There's a lot of shenanigans that could be had a la Villager's Pocket.
Would be a great feature/defense. I'm just being silly here but it would be so cool if his Blunderbuss blows in his face if some other character throws the cannonball back at him (DKC 2 callback, i had to say it :p)

Korporal K. Reep

Smash Apprentice
I'm most interested in the blunderbuss move. I wonder if it can be angled or if the second shot is just always aimed upward. Also wondering if the suction can be used without firing a cannonball first.

The crown boomerang doesn't seem very viable to me, doesn't it look a bit slow and short-distanced, with quite a bit of startup and ending lag?

Anyway, he looks fun! I'm glad he doesn't have a gimmick. Looking forward to maining him - even if he's low tier haha!

Thundross

Smash Rookie
That bury at the end was him with a super mushroom, I'm assuming. He was definitely larger than usual and I'm pretty sure most characters can do that when they're large. The attack itself was probably his down tilt.
Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I don't recall Mushrooms allowing you to bury opponents.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
I wonder if his belly has great super armor, but all attack’s from behind lack said super armor.

Speaking of attacks from behind: I wonder if his counter does not work if he is facing the wrong way

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I wonder if his belly has great super armor, but all attack’s from behind lack said super armor.

Speaking of attacks from behind: I wonder if his counter does not work if he is facing the wrong way
Guessing it'll work like Bowser's shellguard: if the attack hits his belly first, it'll be countered, but if it his any other part of him first, he'll take damage instead.

Last edited:

Dε√ilj∦o

Smash Journeyman
My answer to a few things that have been discussed recently:

S_B S_B ill still forever main Bowser and he will be my number one, but god damn I'm still definitely maining the f out of K Rool lol.

Yes, the blunderbuss can be angled after sucking an item or an enemy ; in his second trailer, when Dedede jumps to forward aerial the King, the later angles his weapon upward to fire back the cannonball.

I am optimistic for King K Rool having super armor on his belly attacks, or even taking less damage from the front.

You can most défini move while using the Crown ; you can see in the trailer that after throwing it, K Rool goes back to his idle animation. I just hope that it can't be grabbed, like Link's boomerang. If so, it's going to be sooooo good.

My answer to a few things that have been discussed recently:

S_B S_B ill still forever main Bowser and he will be my number one, but god damn I'm still definitely maining the f out of K Rool lol.

Yes, the blunderbuss can be angled after sucking an item or an enemy ; in his second trailer, when Dedede jumps to forward aerial the King, the later angles his weapon upward to fire back the cannonball.

I am optimistic for King K Rool having super armor on his belly attacks, or even taking less damage from the front.

You can most défini move while using the Crown ; you can see in the trailer that after throwing it, K Rool goes back to his idle animation. I just hope that it can't be grabbed, like Link's boomerang. If so, it's going to be sooooo good.
I'm guessing the crown can't be grabbed (from what we've seen so far). They really seem to put the emphasis on Villager pocketing it in the reveal trailer.

By the way, if you plan maining the King, you'll have to look out for that little scum (Villager). He's gonna steal your crown and probably sell it to Tom Nook (to buy more bowling balls... i guess) :p

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm guessing the crown can't be grabbed (from what we've seen so far). They really seem to put the emphasis on Villager pocketing it in the reveal trailer.

By the way, if you plan maining the King, you'll have to look out for that little scum (Villager). He's gonna steal your crown and probably sell it to Tom Nook (to buy more bowling balls... i guess) :p
Nook takes one look at it and tosses it aside as junk

Cetus

Smash Apprentice
I'm really loving where they went with K. Rool. A ranged heavy weight hasn't existed until now and it makes perfect sense for the character. My biggest concern is the recovery. It looks like Villager's which doesn't seem so bad at first. In fact, if it gives him at least some of Villager's range, then it'd be decent. It just looks like he'll be very easy to edgeguard with his massive hitbox the speed. And keep an eye on those characters who punish projectiles like Villager, Palutena, or the spacies cause that'll pressure some of his options.

Noventiaa

Smash Cadet

How would that even work? the crown isn't even on your head, so does he just strip you of your side-b?

How would that even work? the crown isn't even on your head, so does he just strip you of your side-b?
I think it's very possible, Villager can strip people from their specials. As i said earlier in the post, he stole my motorcycle once when i was playing Wario and i could'nt use it for a good part of the game. That's silly and dangerous at the same time (Villager style). It'll be the same with link's bomb in Ultimate, he can only have one bomb out at a time so if Villager pocket it, it woud not be avaible for a while.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Almost assuredly. Similar situation with Pac-Man's Bonus Fruit, Mega Man's Metal Blade, and WFT's Header soccer ball I believe. Still, he can only deprive you for so long before the projectile despawns from his inventory.

Noventiaa

Smash Cadet
I'm really loving where they went with K. Rool. A ranged heavy weight hasn't existed until now and it makes perfect sense for the character. My biggest concern is the recovery. It looks like Villager's which doesn't seem so bad at first. In fact, if it gives him at least some of Villager's range, then it'd be decent. It just looks like he'll be very easy to edgeguard with his massive hitbox the speed. And keep an eye on those characters who punish projectiles like Villager, Palutena, or the spacies cause that'll pressure some of his options.
I'm hoping that his recovery is a bit like G&W's, in that it wouldn't make you helpless at the end, so you could use the airdodge for mixups and further distance, or stop edgeguarding with an aerial.

Cetus

Smash Apprentice
I'm hoping that his recovery is a bit like G&W's, in that it wouldn't make you helpless at the end, so you could use the airdodge for mixups and further distance, or stop edgeguarding with an aerial.
I suppose that would help. Thing with Game and Watch though is that he's smaller and faster than that lumbering K. Rool. Plus, the starting jump of Game and Watch's is pretty fast and even has a hitbox to deter enemies. I can see his recovery being the weakest point. Not so much in the distance it gives him, but rather the vulnerable state it puts him in.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Almost assuredly. Similar situation with Pac-Man's Bonus Fruit, Mega Man's Metal Blade, and WFT's Header soccer ball I believe. Still, he can only deprive you for so long before the projectile despawns from his inventory.
Villager can remove it for an entire stock provided he occasionally takes it out of his pocket and puts it back in.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
My first impression is that he was going to be a zoner with obviously heavy properties like Bowser Jr. Let's just hope he isn't nearly as bad as Jr.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I started a moveset thread right after the direct...

where did it go?

Top Bottom