• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

King Boo for Smash Switch! Does he stand a ghost of a chance?

mouthofxenu

Smash Rookie
I recently introduced my nephew to the world of Smash speculation and King Boo is his biggest hope. We spent quite a while thinking up moves for the character, including spawning a Boo that chases enemies when they aren’t looking. I added the idea of letting King Boo have a move that lets him switch places with the other Boo. I’m not sure how broken that would be, but it was fun to see him get into the spirit of hype.

While I am personally pulling for Rex & Pyra, Shantae, and Doom Slayer, I will also be rooting for King Boo so my nephew gets to feel that magic when dreams come true.

Crystaljiggs

Smash Journeyman
Im happy to see this smashboards get more messages lately with a actual chance of king boo in smash :)

Laniv

Smash Champion
starting to write up a king boo moveset, and I got a question

Should King Boo be a lightweight because he's a ghost, or a heavyweight because of Mario Kart?

Crystaljiggs

Smash Journeyman
Better to represent the luigis mansion games themselves when theorizing this so it depends on that

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton

Should King Boo be a lightweight because he's a ghost, or a heavyweight because of Mario Kart?
Definitely lightweight. His weight in Mario Kart is more for balance and size. Look at Rosalina for example, same story

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

well while it kind of make sense for him to be lightwieght cause he floats but in LM3

during the final battle hes slammed on the ground several times damaging it greatly which would suggest to me hes actually a heavy wieght within the context of his own games

Laniv

Smash Champion
Okay, follow up question: I'm torn between two ideas. Should I have King Boo:

A. Summon Boos as a grab and make the Final Smash trapping foes in paintings

or

B. Trap foes in paintings as a grab and make the Final Smash open a Paranormal Portal to allow the ghosts inside to wreak havoc?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

or

B. Trap foes in paintings as a grab and make the Final Smash open a Paranormal Portal to allow the ghosts inside to wreak havoc?
well trapping foes in a painting could work as a final smash similar to zeldas. not sure about his own grab but when hes grabbed he could be grabbed by the tongue

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605

or

A. Definitely A.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
King Boo does show some form of telekinesis during the finale of Luigi's Mansion 3, maybe something similar to that

Laniv

Smash Champion
One more thing: I'm allowing King Boo to summon Boos (obviously), but I have some questions.

1. In the Mario series King Boo's power grows when many Boos are present. Considering this, should the mere presence of a Boo give King Boo a power boost?

2. When summoning a Boo, should King Boo be able to command/influence the Boo's direction, or should it be mostly autonomous?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
One more thing: I'm allowing King Boo to summon Boos (obviously), but I have some questions.

1. In the Mario series King Boo's power grows when many Boos are present. Considering this, should the mere presence of a Boo give King Boo a power boost?

2. When summoning a Boo, should King Boo be able to command/influence the Boo's direction, or should it be mostly autonomous?
you mean like rosalina?

Laniv

Smash Champion
you mean like rosalina?
Kinda. For question 1, if a Boo is present, King Boo would receive a 1.2x boost to his damage output. For question 2, the player wouldn't directly control the Boo's movements, but King Boo could perform certain actions that would move it in a certain direction.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Kinda. For question 1, if a Boo is present, King Boo would receive a 1.2x boost to his damage output. For question 2, the player wouldn't directly control the Boo's movements, but King Boo could perform certain actions that would move it in a certain direction.
i dunno they sound like theyd be kinda broken

Crystaljiggs

Smash Journeyman
im i crazy to think the reason why we have not had LM3 spirit event is that king boo was ment to be a e3 reveal but that idea got ruined and they pushed the reveal all the way to september/october and thats why we still have not seen the LM3 spirit event

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
im i crazy to think the reason why we have not had LM3 spirit event is that king boo was ment to be a e3 reveal but that idea got ruined and they pushed the reveal all the way to september/october and thats why we still have not seen the LM3 spirit event
yes

but all smash speculation is mad so dont worry about it

Last edited:

Laniv

Smash Champion
October the 1st, they're announcing a new character, eh?

I've kept my expectations low, but if the king truly is coming, tomorrow would be the perfect time...

And what luck, for I have just finished my King Boo moveset!

King Boo Joins the Fright!!
1601483315910.png

In his search for ultimate revenge on Luigi, King Boo has arrived in the world of Smash Bros. Now the spooky sovereign of screams, the emperor of eerie entities, the tycoon of terror is ready to scare the competition out of their wits! With dastardly tricks and debilitating magic up his sleeve, he’s sure to give the Smash dimension a scare it won’t soon forget!

Weight: 75 (tied with Mr. Game & Watch and Squirtle)
Walk: 0.987 (tied with Captain Falcon)
Dash: 1.964 (tied with Marth and Lucina)
Jumps: 2
Air Speed: 1.092 (tied with Zelda and Pac-Man)
Fall Speed: 0.98 (slowest)

Another thing: King Boo’s dodges and rolls turn him invisible, and he can act the moment he becomes visible again.

Jab: Two slaps with his stubby arms, then a rapid jab where he fires dark purple magic sparks from his crown. This ends with a larger surge of magic. 1%, 1%, a continuing 0.4%, then a final 2%.
Forward Tilt: King Boo pauses briefly before firing a short-ranged burst of purple magic energy diagonally down from his crown. 6%.
Up Tilt: Hops up and hits with his crown. 5%.
Down Tilt: While crouching, King Boo waves his hand, creating a small blue flame in front of him. 8%.
Dash Attack: King Boo Snake: King Boo rushes forward while four afterimages of himself follow and fade slowly. 2.3% (first two hits), 6% (end).

Forward Smash: King Boo spreads his arms out wide, summoning a bolt of purple lightning to come crashing down in front of him. 18%.
Up Smash: King Boo faces the screen and shrieks while lifting his arms, his eyes glowing. Three blue fireballs will rise above him, fanning outwards. 17% (early), 12% (late).
Down Smash: King Boo spins around, releasing blue flames from his hands. 13%.

Neutral Aerial: Twirls at an angle with five small Boo Buddies surrounding him. 1.3% (hits 1-4), 6.6% (hit 5).
Forward Aerial: King Boo swings his whole body to hit with his tongue wreathed in blue flames. 15%.
Back Aerial: King Boo turns around and pulls a scary face. Like Shulk’s Back Slash, this attack is more effective if used on an opponent’s back. 9% (front), 17% (back).
Up Aerial: King Boo cackles as he fires a bolt of purple lightning from his crown, much like Pikachu and Pichu’s Thunder. This move has incredibly high vertical range, being equal to that of Palutena’s up smash. He also stall in midair when using this move. 16% (base), 13% (middle), 18% (tip).
Down Aerial: King Boo plummets down, creating a shockwave when he lands. This move is a meteor smash, but beware, for King Boo will plummet with the opponent… 14% (clean), 6% landing.

Grab: King Boo summons two Boos to seize the opponent.
Pummel: While the Boos pin down the foe, King Boo zaps the victim with lightning. 1.5%.
Forward Throw: King Boo commands the Boos to drag the foe along the ground to toss them. 10%.
Back Throw: The Boos toss the foe towards King Boo, who briefly becomes intangible to let them pass through him. 13%.
Up Throw: Holding the opponent, the Boos float upwards a short distance before tossing them upwards. 11%.
Down Throw: The Boos shove the opponent to the ground as King Boo cackles, forcing them to lie down. 10.3%.

Neutral Special—Frighten: When the button is pressed, King Boo will shyly hide his face. He can attack or jump, but he can move around slowly, and even roll if a direction is tapped. When the button is released, King Boo will suddenly pull a scary face and let out a Boo shriek, stunning foes that are close by. Like Shulk’s Back Slash, this move is much stronger when used on an opponent’s back; it’s much less effective when used in an foe’s face. 4% (front), 28% (back).

Side Special—Circling Boos: King Boo laughs evilly as five Circling Boos surround him. They protect their king similarly to Mega Man's Leaf Shield, but opponents can send the Boos flying with one or two hits. In fact, an opponent can even hit King Boo himself if their reach is long enough, which will dispel the Circling Boos immediately. If a button is pressed, King Boo launches the Boos forward. They attach to the first opponent they hit, and slow them down. Each Boo does 2% damage, and the slowdown effect lasts for longer with more Boos (up to 3 seconds).

Up Special—Crown Vanish: King Boo vanishes inside his crown, which quickly rises upwards. He is intangible for the duration of this move.

Down Special—Boo Summon: King Boo laughs evilly as a Boo appears by his side. Boos are the same size as Kirby, and only one can be on stage at one time. Much like in their home series, Boo will give chase to opponents whose backs are turned, but will cover its face if looked at directly. If they catch up to an opponent, they will laugh eerily, scaring the foe and sending them straight up. Boos can be defeated by dealing 9% to it. If there’s multiple opponents for the Boo to chase, it will prioritize the one that isn’t facing it. 13%.

Final Smash—Paranormal Portrait: King Boo faces the screen and laughs as the gem in his crown begins to glow and crackle with energy. An ornate picture frame will appear (in front of him by default, but its position can be changed by tilting the Control Stick), sucking in foes and trapping them in the painting. The painting also grows bigger with time. After 5 seconds, King Boo will attack the painting with a blast of purple lightning from his crown, launching the foes or instantly KOing them if they’re above 100% damage.

Entrance: A painting of the king floats harmlessly on the stage. Then, in a flash of purple lightning, King Boo breaks free of the portrait, letting loose his trademark laugh.

Boxing Ring Title: The Sovereign of Screams

Idle Pose 1: King Boo tilts his body lower and grins madly, glaring ahead from under his eyebrows and rubbing his stubby hands together.
Idle Pose 2: King Boo briefly closes his mouth, then opens it again, letting his tongue loll out.

Taunts

Taunt 1: Faces the screen and pulls on the corners of his mouth with his tongue sticking out, letting off his trademark laugh.
Taunt 2: Four blue flames surround King Boo as he closes his eyes and spins.
Taunt 3: King Boo suddenly disappears, letting his crown fall to the floor. After a while, he reappears out from the ground.

Victory Poses

Victory 1: The camera quickly pans from left to right, as if wondering where King Boo is. Suddenly, the king appears in a puff of smoke, mere inches from the camera.
Victory 2: King Boo does a rolling backflip in midair, then spins around to reveal the Dark Moon in his hand.
Victory 3: King Boo floats in place while four Boos circle around him, apparently in worship.

Lose/No Contest: King Boo claps slowly and sullenly, glaring at the winner from under his eyebrows.

Victory Theme: The opening notes of the Luigi's Mansion theme, rearranged to sound like the Game Over music of the first game.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I didn't notice the Minecraft Blocks at first, so King Boo did cross my mind briefly. But there was no Luigi and no character from another franchise in the cgi. So I dismissed the idea pretty quickly and started thinking Dark Souls

Crystaljiggs

Smash Journeyman
king boo gonna get deconfirmed on halloween with the spirit event i hope not man

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
I'd say King Boo, before becoming fighters, he'd be a good stage boss material. Just Smash bros seems to want to stick to Giant Bowser.

Top Bottom