• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Keyboard legality in console tourneys (POLL)..

Do you think keyboards should be legal in console tourneys?

• Yes

Votes: 70 58.3%
  • No

Votes: 40 33.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 10 8.3%

• Total voters

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
On controller you need to make a quarter circle and on keyboard you need to alternate between two keys (at least, depending on the direction you want to go to).
that's what i mean, yeah, bad wording or w/e on my part

The Star King

Smash Hero
i don't think anyone is in disagreement over the fact that the potential for DI is better on kb because of the instant snap back to neutral in between directions.
I am.

EDIT: I'm not sure how good kb slide DI would be, since nobody does it (though I have some doubts about it). But I don't think keyboard mashing is better than good controller slide DI.

Last edited:

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
do you find it easier to di on kb or controller? in terms of effectiveness, easiness, and comfort

Sangoku

Smash Master
I actually didn't know keyboard player don't slide DI. I know the "optimal" technique (best distance per input) I've described several times is impractical (not the best number of input per time), but is alternating between two directions (say left and up) 1) impractical as well and/or 2) useless (ie escaping diagonally worse than escaping purely horizontally)?

mixa

Banned via Warnings
I'm not sure how good kb slide DI would be, since nobody does it (though I have some doubts about it).
What do you mean? Assuming slide DI for a combo is done by wiggling the joystick: diagonal up away + diagonal down away, then the correspondent keyboard DI would be the same sequence of inputs, but since you can't slide, you'd hold away and mash up and down.
That is how I DI, I'd imagine everyone would do that. How do you DI?
I DI with my right hand, so I can easily 'slide DI' to the right, but not really for the left due to finger positions.

Sangoku

Smash Master
You know what guys? We should just have a DI race contest. Use Madao's latest CheatEngine table to put everyone in DI state, then record the time needed to cross Dreamland's main ground.

The Star King

Smash Hero
do you find it easier to di on kb or controller? in terms of effectiveness, easiness, and comfort
Keyboard, but I have probably 100x more playtime on keyboard than controller so I think that's only to be expected. I don't automatically DI on controller yet, I have to consciously think about to do it. And even then, a lot of the DI I do on keyboard is automatic, so I don't consciously know which way I should DI. I guess you could say the when/where of it, as you put it when you were describing Boom's DI vs Killer's.

I think that's a big reason I'm better on keyboard in general. Unconscious situational knowledge. But that's another topic.

I actually didn't know keyboard player don't slide DI. I know the "optimal" technique (best distance per input) I've described several times is impractical (not the best number of input per time), but is alternating between two directions (say left and up) 1) impractical as well and/or 2) useless (ie escaping diagonally worse than escaping purely horizontally)?
Also it is harder to mash alternating buttons then mashing one. You'd be getting less inputs overall. Also it would be slow and awkward (at least for me) to switch to a position where I could do that. I have my doubts it'd be better.

What do you mean? Assuming slide DI for a combo is done by wiggling the joystick: diagonal up away + diagonal down away, then the correspondent keyboard DI would be the same sequence of inputs, but since you can't slide, you'd hold away and mash up and down.
That is how I DI, I'd imagine everyone would do that. How do you DI?
I DI with my right hand, so I can easily 'slide DI' to the right, but not really for the left due to finger positions.
OK, you are the only one you know of then. IDK how good your DI is though so yeah. Would you say it's better than Killer's?

I DI by mashing.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Would you say it's better than Killer's?
No. He moves farther than me, and I'm still learning what DI I should use for each scenario.

You know what guys? We should just have a DI race contest. Use Madao's latest CheatEngine table to put everyone in DI state, then record the time needed to cross Dreamland's main ground.
Teach me, Sangoku. What do I do with this?

Madao

Teach me, Sangoku. What do I do with this?

Don't mess with Player 1 DI, unless you want crazy DI. If you freeze 0 for that one, you can just hold a direction and you'll practically go flying.
You freeze 80140878 for DI state, then you set hitlag to a number (preferably > 4) and freeze it. Also if you freeze DI state, you can also DI during hitlag while attacking someone else.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
my stance is: boom's sense of where/when to di >>> killer's ability of di'ing really hard
How good DI is = player intelligence * DI distance
player intelligence is independent of controller, distance is not, therefore boom's ability to be smarter doesn't help highlight or downplay any differences in DI between controller and keyboard.

... actually i do. he's been making silly posts in every thread for a while now.
Yea I have, it takes to much time to write real posts these days. But I am serious about keyboard di > controller di I promise. But also, keyboards are cool and should be legal.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
How good DI is = player intelligence * DI distance
I'd put it in 4 variables: intelligence, controller, execution, and knowledge of said execution.

You can know where to DI to (intelligence), but you might not know what technique is best to achieve that.
You might know what technique is best, but you simply suck at execution.
You can be all that and have a defective joystick.

hm, I think if the attacked player's DI were amplified, then having the attacker DI would make a cool change. you can do some hax stuff by DI'ing as the attacker.

Last edited:

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
player intelligence is independent of controller, distance is not, therefore boom's ability to be smarter doesn't help highlight or downplay any differences in DI between controller and keyboard.
someone not being able to pull off ledge/reverse ledge di or knowing where to di in the middle of combos greatly lessens the significance of the input method. which is why i say you can have hard DI but if it isn't smart, it's not an advantage.

wait, p1 di is stronger than the rest or WHAT

M!nt

Smash Champion
this thread is stupid, di isn't that big of a deal to scare away our non-64 controller players.

di is so overrated. there will be new players playing me online and the first thing they'll ask me is how to di or if I can help them practice di, when they don't even know how to z-cancel or combo properly!

Last edited:

M!nt

Smash Champion
what's that supposed to mean :c I think i have okay di :c

Karajan

Banned via Warnings
who has the biggest di

everyone in japan has smaller di

lolz

Top Bottom