• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Keyboard legality in console tourneys (POLL)..

Do you think keyboards should be legal in console tourneys?

• Yes

Votes: 70 58.3%
  • No

Votes: 40 33.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 10 8.3%

• Total voters

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
retreating fairs, non mistakenly ff'd dairs, non mistakenly dj'd uairs, and advancing dairs all done on command with no errors? seems unfair, doesn't it?

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Nobody should give you a macro. Learn to overcome it the way others have. It's not that bad when you get used to it.
You're saying it can't be done or it can be but so far nobody has cared to? I can't handle how much people act like a cult about this

The Star King

Smash Hero
You're saying it can't be done or it can be but so far nobody has cared to? I can't handle how much people act like a cult about this
It can be done. But I can't help you (dunno how to make them), and even if I could I wouldn't.

People "act like a cult" about this because you shouldn't be gaining an unfair advantage. Do you not see the problem here? Do you ask your teachers for an answer key on tests and get mad when they don't help you?

asianaussie

Smash Hero
i c-stick all the time when i play melee or project M

i dont c-stick when i play 64 on VC

i have no qualms about this and have never desired a macro, if you really want shortcuts that badly then make one yourself

B-Town

Smash Apprentice
I think gamecube controller with c-stick matches would be interesting to see, maybe with good melee players. But should be banned in tournament.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Well you can make a modifier:
Assigned to GamePad: Z-Axis- (left on C-stick) = Paramater: As<-A (Analog stick left+A)

The problem is it works like crap because it moves you towards the left, and if you try to move right it counters the left action and makes you do a Nair. I don't think the plug-in (N-rage) can do anything else other than what's in the GUI for parameters, so I think there's no hope.

Karajan

Banned via Warnings
This is related to the adapter Karajan made. I've spoken with some melee / brawl players about the possibility of hooking up a gamecube controller to n64 and map the smash attacks to the c-stick with a macro to simulate the c-stick in those games, and they all loved the idea and said they would start playing and entering ssb64 tournaments. There has be some talk about not allowing macros to be used, but we should make an exception in this case to basically allow a larger base of player to join the ssb community. I'm actually really excited if SSB becomes even more mainstream and hype because of this.
uh when i get home i'll test, but you probably dont need a macro with the way it works right now: just map A and R/L/U/D to the same thing, and maybe it will do smashes idk

clubbadubba

Smash Master
yea def no macros that's crazy talk. 1 to 1 relationship between inputs and outputs, no exceptions.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
I know a macro that might be popular: one button to rage quit.

mmm... now that I think about it, it would be unfair to all those swift rage quitters.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
along the same lines as what I said earlier, having both the dpad and the control be mapped to a direction should be banned. I understand and respect the side for kb's being legal, but there shouldn't be any wiggle room on that. Having all of the advantages of keyboard with none of the disadvantages. 1 to 1 relationship is a pretty good concrete definition for controller legality.

Sangoku

Smash Master
I think having a shine macro will help the community a lot. I have a friend who doesn't play the game because he can't shine consistantly.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
so i tried playing smash with my newish laptop and holy **** the DI is actually ridiculous, not even trying and im busting out of all sorts of combos

but its sorta hard to short hop

tl;dr keyboards should be legal kthx

Barbs Jr

Smash Apprentice
I don't think the argument should be based on whether or not individual players di better on controller than KB. It should be based on whether or not maximum humanly reasonable KB DI is much better than maximum humanly reasonable controller DI.

Idk what you guys think but it sounds a lot like an exploit if even one KBer shows up to a tourney consistently getting out of combos that controller DI wouldn't be able to and places well. That would be the only basis (in my mind) for banning KBs.

But otherwise I'm all for KBers being able to play. The community is small enough as it is and we would have a lot to gain from having really knowledgable/talented people like star king at tourneys. Plus, I think having players from different backgrounds can only further the top level metagame for smash and that would be really cool to see in a game whose current metagame is advanced as it is.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
So now that we've had both Zenith 2013 and Apex 2014 with keyboards and other controllers legal, how do people feel about this issue now? Has anyone's stance changed?

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
At first i was all like "yo man who gives a ****? You n00b punks get so wrapped up and serious about the littlest things. It's all about that llama love."

Now I'm all like "yo man who gives a ****? You n00b punks get so wrapped up and serious about the littlest things. It's all about that llama love. And as the llama lord i think that having people like dirk king and killer perform in tournaments is just about the most incredible thing since famous amos cookies."

I didn't see any crazy keyboard **** at apex. The only broken things that come with legal keyboards are the hearts of those who get ***** by the keyboard warriors!

Anyone who opposes the legal keyboard movement is just afraid of the competition.

I'll take all you n00b keyboard players on in a second! You jabronies got nothing on KeroKeroppi of the Koroshiyo. They don't call me the console king for nothing.

These basement dwelling online nerds need to know that their "warrior" status is a mere mockery in the presence of a console God.

The Star King

Smash Hero
You should be able to partially like a post. Dem last two paragraphs.

I gave you one anyway.

No keyboards got into top 8. Confirmed suck.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I still want all digital directional input banned please. Not just keyboards. I don't want people DI'ing with their PS2 controller d-pad's either.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
it baffles me how after apex14 DI is still the main thing against kb.
killer's crazy DI is just that: crazy. dext3r, mariguas, isai, boom, ruoka, moyashi all had way better DI than any kb player. it's safe to say that if any of those had executed such DI with a kb, we'd have torches, pitchforks and dumb arguments all over.

LRJaves

Smash Rookie
NNID
RandomJaves
3DS FC
0361-6294-2122
This is "MY" honest opinion. In a tournament setting a player should only use the standard N64 Controller. The controller that you were suppose to play the game with. No other external products should be used in my opinion.

Im not saying it's cheating or anything but in a serious tournament scene everyone should be at the same advantage and using the same equipment. The only way to do this is Nintendo Standard N64 controllers.

Now don't get smart and post Nintendo has a N64 Keyboard, Yes I know it was used for the 64DD though.

MY OPINION DON'T GET SALTY.
Dat keyboard tho.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Oh man it really bothered me when Jaxel said on stream that there is "NO DIFFERENCE" besides preference between keyboard and controller. Not even talking about advantage here, but keyboards can't do certain techs like non-buffered utilt and controllers can't do instant change of direction. Like, if you don't know the mechanics of the game don't say **** like that. Otherwise jaxel was fine, just that honestly that bothered me more than anything with keyboards being there. My stance is the same as it was, I don't like it, but the community as a whole wants it, and I'm fine with that. Plus at this point I wouldn't want to stop star king and killer from coming back to tourney's, its basically gonna stay forever now that its been used at Apex.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I'm for it, although from like a technical standpoint I could see why you would want the ban

I don't that it's a large advantage practically speaking though

MattNF

Smash Lord
keyboard should be banned.

this is the only fighting game community ive seen where you are allowed to use non-standard controllers that can give unfair advantages.

MattNF

Smash Lord
I know people want to appeal to the most amount of players for a tourney, but a tournament rules should ensure, to the best of their ability, that all players are on an equal playing field.

Another thing keyboards can do is create macros for inputs. I remember this one controller plugin where I made it do frame perfect DJCs and shines upon the press of a button. We wouldn't allow controllers with the ability to create macros, why are keyboards given a free pass?

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Because it's really easy to use macros in person and not get caught, right?

mixa

Banned via Warnings
guys, the fighting gaem community is on their way

spies are already inside our turf

and the first step to completely conquer a people is through language

don't let them take away our dittos and friendlies

footsies my balls

long live smash brus

/keropost

bloodpeach

Smash Journeyman
Well probably because
1) the adapter currently doesnt support macros and never will because no one who has the capability of making an adapter will ever use macros
2) even if somone did manage to do that, it'd be super easy to for any TO to just look at the settings on the adapter and see if there are macros
3) you get to see the key presses of your opponent as they play
it's really a complete non-issue

Also, theres never been an adapter in florida, and unless you used an alt it doesn't look like you were at Apex. Have you ever actually seen one used?

NovaSmash

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
I still want all digital directional input banned please. Not just keyboards. I don't want people DI'ing with their PS2 controller d-pad's either.
This is a joke right? I've used ps2 dpad my whole time playing on kaillera and the di isn't that good.

stan423321

Smash Journeyman
As not a part of community, I have no right or interest to voice my opinion, but in order to understand the issue, I would like somebody to post what does the adapter actually do. Does it only map keys to buttons and keys to maximal movements of the stick in cardinal directions, or does it have a "weakener" key as well?

Top Bottom