• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Keyboard legality in console tourneys (POLL)..

Do you think keyboards should be legal in console tourneys?

• Yes

Votes: 70 58.3%
  • No

Votes: 40 33.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 10 8.3%

• Total voters

B Link

Smash Lord
With the exception of Isai's awesome DI none of those links were hard B Link ma dude
Lulz isai wasn't even the one DI'ing "ma dude"

Yallz are pretty cocky bout your DI but I've seen vids of you guys playing LOL. It's not a coincidence that none of your DIs impressed me enough to link to it.

Combo Blaze

Smash Ace
Allow me to summarize the last few posts here.

Sheer: Where's your evidence?
Nintendude: *provides evidence*
Sheer: You're being lame for providing evidence.

It was, in fact, commented on / discussed as well. There were some moans and groans but really, nobody cared.

Melee is a bad analogy. Melee players absolutely LOVE the gamecube controller. Arcade sticks for gamecube are extremely realistic, but there's no reason anyone would ever want to use it. I'm extremely confident that almost nobody would have an issue with it either. Why? Because Melee players are generally knowledgeable about the FGC and their philosophy on controllers. They also aren't scrubs when it comes to competitive gaming.

This whole debate is pretty hilarious, and I don't even get why I keep coming back to respond. The ruling was made and your effort to thwart me has only reaffirmed my stance even more strongly. You're a cool guy in person and I don't judge people based on their boards personality. Unfortunately you're making it really hard for me to do that right now, but I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and say you just like to troll.
[ ] Not Told
[X] Told
[X] Really Told
[X] Cash4told.com
[X] No country for told men
[X] ToldSpice
[x] Countold Strike
[x] Stone-told Steve Austin
[X] Roller Coaster Toldcoon
[x] Battletolds

Anyways, I'm all for alternative controllers. Would like to play SMELLY CAT at his full power, and giving more options is pretty cool.

lol@DI, I've seen Komo do some pretty good DI on controller, and MEOWMEOW(right person? or was it someone else?) has some crazy controller DI too, console Killer DI maybe. As for the videos I can DI somewhat like that, I just don't try it much. :( I just do a lazy slide and that's it most of the time. Not worth it when playing FRIENDLIES.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I dun think so combo. Nintendude was constantly trying to use the fact that keyboards were "legal" last apex as evidence that nobody minded it. And that's completely false because either people didn't even know it was technically legal (like me) or they didn't expect to realistically see a keyboard at apex. He admitted himself that he didn't expect to see a keyboard at apex. Nobody did.

So why would people complain about a rule that has 0 impact on a tourney?

cmu6eh

Banned via Warnings
This poll has been around almost 10 days. Looks like people favor keyboard legality 7 to 4.

Will the recommended ruleset be updated to reflect the majority opinion?

clubbadubba

Smash Master
It doesn't need to be updated, the rule was already there :troll:

Oh wait, that was the Apex ruleset.

Still though

:troll:

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Probably better to wait. There were have to be some asterisks next to it if we updated it right now. I mean it still doesn't technically exist right now correct?

Plus for a while it would only be legal at tourneys cmu attends, since he's the only one with access to it.

cmu6eh

Banned via Warnings
I'm going to work on it tomorrow and try to get a finished version tomorrow night.

jimmyjoe

Filthy Hori
Premium
The other thing to consider about this poll is that it is likely the majority of online smashers use smashboards, and were likely to vote, whereas offline smashers may be less likely to frequent these boards and vote. The percentage of keyboard users among online players is obviously much higher than the percentage of KB users who play offline(0%).

Playing the devils advocate here because it should be pointed out

madrush21

Smash Journeyman
I just wanna play smash. If making keyboards legal brings more people into the console community, even 1 person, I 'd be happy.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I'm sure there are some console only players out there who don't check smashboards much and thus haven't voted on this (b-rex, valoem, megavolt, etc). There are also probably some votes by people who aren't involved in the 64 community (melee/brawl players). Seventy six votes does seem pretty high.

But keyboard being legal is leading by a pretty big margin.

I could remake the poll and make votes visible if people really care. This current poll is enough for me to be ok with giving keyboards a shot though.

M!nt

Smash Champion
The other thing to consider about this poll is that it is likely the majority of online smashers use smashboards, and were likely to vote, whereas offline smashers may be less likely to frequent these boards and vote. The percentage of keyboard users among online players is obviously much higher than the percentage of KB users who play offline(0%).

Playing the devils advocate here because it should be pointed out
ehh, I'd say about the same percentage of both use smashboards.

cmu6eh

Banned via Warnings
OK so if i switch from UDP over LAN to tcp, and the people on the console end enable port forwarding, I can make this work over the internet, which would let people hypothetically play in tournaments without them being there. Someone would just need to stream the match to them or skype them in somehow. I would have a ton of delay though lol

Sensei

Smash Lord
I was watching the tourney matches and the stream side by side and there was a couple second delay, which would mean death for the semi-fake KB player.

firo

Smash Ace
OK so if i switch from UDP over LAN to tcp, and the people on the console end enable port forwarding, I can make this work over the internet, which would let people hypothetically play in tournaments without them being there. Someone would just need to stream the match to them or skype them in somehow. I would have a ton of delay though lol
I would think TCP would be the right choice to use anyway, since you want to guarantee in-order delivery and no corruption of the data. Unless you've built your own protocol on top of things, that is.

Izuhu

Smash Journeyman
I feel that there's no reason why a person shouldn't be able to get a controller to play the game the way its meant to be played. Yea I understand the loose joystick issues and what not, but that shouldn't be a reason to not use the controller when top players place high with them all the time.

I'm not fully against the whole KB option, but I suppose we can have tournaments that allow them "IF" they state they allow them.

Or we could have side tournaments to the actual "controller only" tournaments that allow keyboard and controllers or keyboard only.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Or we could have side tournaments to the actual "controller only" tournaments that allow keyboard and controllers or keyboard only.
we could even draw a line on the floor dividing the venue saying: KB PLAYERS KEEP OUT

Izuhu

Smash Journeyman
Better yet scratch the "keyboard only" thing I only see that possible with big tournaments like nationals .

I mean if its a local console tournament I doubt that there will be enough people for "keyboard only" to make a nice sized bracket.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I was watching the tourney matches and the stream side by side and there was a couple second delay, which would mean death for the semi-fake KB player.
Nah, we have delay so we read you before you read your own moves.

Get at us.

RickySSB

Smash Ace
I'm a keyboard player.
I hate console, and console players, but I will play on console if it has a keyboard adapter.
Dun listen Igay, I mean, Isai.

RockinRudy

Smash Journeyman
I was going to be getting very interested in the Smash 64 community until I seen more and more people want keyboard legality. I won't be joining any tournaments then if this goes through in Toronto.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I was going to be getting very interested in the Smash 64 community until I seen more and more people want keyboard legality. I won't be joining any tournaments then if this goes through in Toronto.
Thank god for that

Seriously dude, if you want keyboard illegal threaten to come to tournaments where it's allowed.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master

being a proponent of something =/= doing that something

i fully support keyboard legality and i use a regular controller. i feel like this mindset is prevalent in wayyy too many people - it's why bigger issues, such as same sex marriage, are still being discussed.

as it stands, everyone should read the entire thread - specifically the keyboard users' posts - and then respond.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
congrats, prevent an expansion of the community because it is oh so large in Toronto, right?

RockinRudy

Smash Journeyman
congrats, prevent an expansion of the community because it is oh so large in Toronto, right?
I strongly still stand my ground saying everyone should be using the same controller that was made for the game.
Not some third party controller.
In MLG tournament setting you HAD to use a original controller no matter what (using this as an example MLG is dead imo).
NO exceptions.
Like I said before.
I'm not saying keyboard players are bad in anyway.
It just shouldn't be allowed. Period.
It's just my opinion, but I would not play someone even in a friendly if they went and plugged in a Keyboard adapter.

cmu6eh

Banned via Warnings
Like we need more pika mains in ssb64

Top Bottom