• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Keep Your Eyes on the Opponent

Myztek

Smash Ace
Every moment you divert your attention to your own character, or some random thought for that matter, you're giving your opponent the advantage. Generally speaking, the only thing that has the potential to be 100% unpredictable is the character you're playing against. This is why it's important to center your concentration on the actions of your opponent. If you don't, you can be caught off guard very easily against a fast opponent.

Benefits of keeping your eyes on the opponent:
- You'll stop throwing out attacks that serve no purpose and get you punished. If you're actually looking at your target, you'll know when to swing and what to swing with.
- You'll learn matchups more quickly, because habits, openings, and what works will become more obvious.
- The game can seem slower. When you don't have to watch what you're doing on top of what your opponent is doing, it's much easier to react to things.
- You'll still do amazing things. Assuming you have excellent control of your character, you may surprise yourself with some of the things you do.

It's important that I expand upon the last benefit I listed. To be able to focus solely on your opponent, you have to know your own character inside and out. Otherwise, your attention will be divided. Your character should be an extension of yourself, and you should be able to control your character without second-guessing yourself.

You're controlling you. You always know where you are and what you're doing. No need to see where you are and what you're doing if you already know

Varist

Smash Lord
The topic is a wholly self-explanatory kind of thing.
i don't know what i'm meant to discuss in this thread :x

SuperMatt

Smash Champion
you kind of have to watch yourself to know when you can waveland, fwd B, other things, etc. but you have to watch them at the same time

you have to train your eyes is all i guess

VGmasta

Smash Lord
Though it is extremely important to watch your opponent, taking your eyes off of your own character can cause fatal errors though. Airdodging near the edge into a Self Destruct as a result of failed waveland usually happens when I look away from my own character too much.

Pengie

Smash Lord
Though it is extremely important to watch your opponent, taking your eyes off of your own character can cause fatal errors though. Airdodging near the edge into a Self Destruct as a result of failed waveland usually happens when I look away from my own character too much.
That's why you gotta work on your control and be confident in your control of your character.

I think one of the biggest benefits of keeping your eyes on the opponents character as opposed to your own is that reacting to things becomes easier, especially if you can get a good read of what your opponent likes to do when both of you are in a neutral situation (e.g. Fox vs. Doc: Fox is DDing and the Doc likes to Full jump pill a lot so as soon as you see Doc squat down to jump run under him and Up Smash to kill).

MasterShake

Smash Lord
Why not just...look at both? I don't recall ever having trouble keeping track of what me and my opponent are doing at the same time.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
i look at the timer and do moves based on how much time is left
:troll:

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Looking at your opponent is important for the information it feeds you regarding their habits. Subtle things can indicate when they're trying to be crafty (and in what way), or how stubborn their defense is. It's usually easy to tell when someone's trying to crush you, but I feel that watching them is absolutely necessary if you're to glean any sort of analysis of their defensive behaviors.

I feel the more you run defense, the less necessary this skill is.

Hydro_Smasher

Smash Journeyman
looking at the oppenant is definately the best option and keeps my consistant in making wise choices, since I know where I am, even when I do a SICK combo on someone, I only look at the oppenant, since my hand movements tell me what the combo looked like even though I'm doing it lol.

plus, if Im watching the oppenant, then im most likely visible just outside of him, and that is enuogh for me to understand, thanks to the way the camera system works

i can always watch my combo later after im done recording

Cyrain

Smash Ace
Looking at your opponent is important for the information it feeds you regarding their habits. Subtle things can indicate when they're trying to be crafty (and in what way), or how stubborn their defense is. It's usually easy to tell when someone's trying to crush you, but I feel that watching them is absolutely necessary if you're to glean any sort of analysis of their defensive behaviors.

I feel like I must be the only high level melee player that makes no conscious effort to watch and analyze things like my opponent's defensive behaviors/stubbornness. Surely I take some of it in subconsciously and adjust my style accordingly, but I never pick it apart in my head. Maybe I'm just lazy or maybe I just suck. I dunno.

Myztek

Smash Ace
@Cactuar

I don't always make threads because I feel like its something new. Some people need a reminder, and some people just really don't think about things so plainly.

Gaggy Rogers

Smash Rookie
@Cactuar

I don't always make threads because I feel like its something new. Some people need a reminder, and some people just really don't think about things so plainly.
Indeed. Obviously, I'm new to melee and it never really occurred to me that I should do this.

hectohertz

Smash Ace
recently when i focus on my eyes on my opponent the screen gets brighter like morning sun can some on explain this
it's probably because you're fake

but watching your opponent is mad important, i actually unfocus my eyes when techchasing. I look at the opponent, just focus on a plane behind the screen so everything's blurrier. it makes my reaction times faster. curious if anyone else does this too

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
necrobump yayhuz

anyways, serious reply (to counter my semi-troll reply)

I mostly pay attention to either my opponent or the space between they and I. Which one kind of depends on MU and the opponent's playstyle though.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Now that I think about it I never look at my own character unless I'm in a doubles match just to make sure I don't accidentally follow the wrong person.

It doesn't seem to serve me well when I transition from playing Melee to any other fighting game that have attacks spawn on your character (Arcana Heart :urg:).

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
I've actually been focusing on this when I played in the past week or two. I sorta felt that being able to closely watch and read/react to your opponent is an absolute must when you're trying to push or approach them, whereas it's much easier to defend accordingly without paying an awful lot of attention (although it probably helps in more specific circumstances) when they're the ones attacking you.

Fregadero

Smash Journeyman
I was having trouble with this last month. Try practicing basic movement and attack patterns without actually watching the screen.

I had a tv next to my computer and would pay attention to the other screen while keeping melee in my peripheral vision. If you really get the basics you should be able to move around and hit the techs without dying. Then when I tryed watching my opponent it wasnt hard.

:phone:

Top Bottom