• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Katalina- Guardian Knight of the Blue Sky for DLC (Granblue Fantasy ) 'work in progress' 'Researchers welcomed'

Pakky

Smash Hero
Is Katalina?
Well is anyone really?

Should we have three Links?

Maybe, maybe not, but we do and they're all great.

Let's not get into that, you like her,great, if not, that's great too.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I don't get why she is getting so much hate. I get people have a hate boner for mobile games, but come on. Just because a mobile game character gets in doesn't mean the end of smash. This is nothing like Diablo Immortal!

Room100

Smash Apprentice
I don't get why she is getting so much hate. I get people have a hate boner for mobile games, but come on. Just because a mobile game character gets in doesn't mean the end of smash.
On one hand I do absolutely get it. People are very protective about Smash's identity and the characters that do or don't fit into it. There are characters I'd be upset if they got in not because they'd be bad (Sakurai is amazing at incorporating characters) but because the character's presence feels cheap and unearned compared to classic Nintendo faces or third-party stars.

But on the other hand, nearly every character who I feel NEEDS to be in Smash is there (besides a few but if Square and Microsoft decide not to put them in they're idiots. Y'all know who I mean). Because of that, it's all basically left to "I want this character now!". Do I personally think Katalina is a good choice over the likes of Bandanna Waddle Dee, Dixie Kong, even Sylux or Doom Slayer? No. But there are strong arguments against nearly EVERY potential DLC fighter. She has a full-on game in the works, she has Nintendo's backing, and she's huge in Japan. I could see how she could get in, and if she does she'll be fun. I just hope they can prove her as a character on a global scale and not make it feel like they put too many chips on one of MANY mobile gaming characters.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Can we report people who just come to troll? Seriously asking. This is a support topic, not a general opinions topic. If all someone can do is express their distaste for a character, they should do it elsewhere.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Can we report people who just come to troll? Seriously asking. This is a support topic, not a general opinions topic. If all someone can do is express their distaste for a character, they should do it elsewhere.
Already done this is getting out of hand too fast for me.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Does anyone know enough about the game to make a guess at what the series symbol would be?

On one hand I do absolutely get it. People are very protective about Smash's identity and the characters that do or don't fit into it. There are characters I'd be upset if they got in not because they'd be bad (Sakurai is amazing at incorporating characters) but because the character's presence feels cheap and unearned compared to classic Nintendo faces or third-party stars.

But on the other hand, nearly every character who I feel NEEDS to be in Smash is there (besides a few but if Square and Microsoft decide not to put them in they're idiots. Y'all know who I mean). Because of that, it's all basically left to "I want this character now!". Do I personally think Katalina is a good choice over the likes of Bandanna Waddle Dee, Dixie Kong, even Sylux or Doom Slayer? No. But there are strong arguments against nearly EVERY potential DLC fighter. She has a full-on game in the works, she has Nintendo's backing, and she's huge in Japan. I could see how she could get in, and if she does she'll be fun. I just hope they can prove her as a character on a global scale and not make it feel like they put too many chips on one of MANY mobile gaming characters.
Who knows. With how big she is in Japan, she might have even scored well in the Ballot. I mean, it was out then right?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Maybe. I really dislike the letter series symbols though. I can’t think of a better one for Street Fighter, but Final Fantasy’s should have been the flaming planet from behind the logo.

If you look at the sprites on the wiki, there are a couple different characters with shields, the crest on the shield seeming to denote faction. So, maybe whichever one that represents the faction Katalina belongs too?

I support her. Initially I was mad, but I went through the Piranha Plant process and now I think she’d be cool. Especially sense there are 4 other slots that each all have the potential to be big western pleasers. Like, what if they do Doom Slayer to please the West after Katalina pleases the East. I don’t know. I’m optimistic.

She and Steve would definitely be the Corrin of the dlc pass. But that just means we have a lot to look forward to. Because we’ve yet to see the Mewtwo/Cloud/Bayonetta.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
It's a shame, I could had learned about Granblue and been a fan, but a friend of mine discouraged me from playing the gacha game some time ago. I guess I will get into Granblue if she gets confirmed as a character so I can learn more.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I wonder how her direct presentation will go. Especially in the West. Like, will they spend extra time explaining who she is or something? You can’t play her game legally over here, and I don’t think they can exactly shout out the PlatinumGames project because it’s PS4. Whatever they do, it’ll definitely be interesting

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
Her final smash could be draining the wallets of the other characters. It would be pretty on point since that's all gacha trash is for anyway.
I have spent a total of $0 since I started playing Granblue, and a ton of other people have remained f2p.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Hey guys, new tweets from Sakurai came in.

So, who are the lucky contestants? We'll just have to wait and see...

Pakky

Smash Hero
Hey guys, new tweets from Sakurai came in.

So, who are the lucky contestants? We'll just have to wait and see...
Oh my that's huge. I thought this was down WAY in advance, lol.

Turns out it kinda was the case as he seems to be talking in the pass tense.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Oh my that's huge. I thought this was down WAY in advance, lol.

Turns out it kinda was the case as he seems to be talking in the pass tense.
Lines up with the leakers saying Nintendo was negotiating with cygames. Not that it was locked down. I’m still convinced of Katalina. Especially if Nintendo was the one doing the picking. It sounds way more like a corporate decision then a Sakurai decision.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Verg and Hitagi's latest comments seem to say Katalina isn't in

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I still don't understand why they'd choose Katalina over Gran and Djeeta. I get it for Re:Link, Katalina has healing and defensive buffs which makes her a good central focus for the group (and because AI healers suck), but she'd be alone in Smash so I really don't get the choice.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Technically it was true. As his latest comment as of me posting that was that Katalina wasn't looking good. This comment by Hitagi was posted after I posted that
so it changed? Or is flip flopping the better word? Hitagi did the same for playable steve as well.

Hard to say how credible the source they have is if its constantly changing.

NukeA6

Smash Master
I support. I was even planning on making the thread myself but I don't know too much of Granblue Fantasy to really do one. Still, it looks like Xenoblade and that's enough for me.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Interesting; I've never heard of this game until now.

PlatinumGames is hands down one of mine favourite companies; that said, it's good to see a new project from them. As for Katalina, I could see how she would work as a fighter. Her playstyle could focus on freezing opponents and building up damage.

zferolie

Smash Hero
That is false. Vergeben's sources didn't provide him with any info regarding Katalina.
I know verge's sources said that, but there was a post by verge on Gamefaqs a few days ago, and he said he talked to hitagi and he heard the talks went south

7982Brick

Smash Cadet
Don't mind me just moving into this thread. As a Katalina supporter, it's nice to see others that would love to see her in smash.

Fane

Smash Journeyman
Granblue is like nearly 5 years old, and an absolute powerhouse in japan. I would say that game gotcha gatcha games going again in japan(Fate, FE, and others all started due to the succsess of this one)
I think the majority of people have an issue with Granblue rep due to the sheer fact it's an absolute "What?" outside of Japan.

The only instance I can ever recall this happening in Smash is with Marth/Roy, but the difference here is that Granblue is a third party mobile game w/ absolutely no connection to Nintendo.(As of now)

It'd generally feel like a sellout addition to the eyes of many.(Obviously Western fans mostly)

Fact of the matter is that it'd more or less be an addition to appeal to the Japanese player base more than anything else. Similar to how Richter and Chrom were included due to their popularity in the East.

I for one, don't care about Granblue inclusion, it means nothing to me. However, I'll be fine with it as long as it's justified, and from what I can see, the justification is simple. The Japanese fan base would more than likely eat it up and adore the inclusion, assuming the Japanese Smash player base for the most part downloaded and enjoyed the game, which isn't unlikely at all. The only problem I'll ever have with a character's inclusion is if it outright feels like a sellout for the sake of it. That's initially what one would think of Granblue unless they do info digging on it.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I think the majority of people have an issue with Granblue rep due to the sheer fact it's an absolute "What?" outside of Japan.

The only instance I can ever recall this happening in Smash is with Marth/Roy, but the difference here is that Granblue is a third party mobile game w/ absolutely no connection to Nintendo.(As of now)

It'd generally feel like a sellout addition to the eyes of many.(Obviously Western fans mostly)

Fact of the matter is that it'd more or less be an addition to appeal to the Japanese player base more than anything else. Similar to how Richter and Chrom were included due to their popularity in the East.

I for one, don't care about Granblue inclusion, it means nothing to me. However, I'll be fine with it as long as it's justified, and from what I can see, the justification is simple. The Japanese fan base would more than likely eat it up and adore the inclusion, assuming the Japanese Smash player base for the most part downloaded and enjoyed the game, which isn't unlikely at all. The only problem I'll ever have with a character's inclusion is if it outright feels like a sellout for the sake of it. That's initially what one would think of Granblue unless they do info digging on it.
Good points. It really all depends in nintendo also wants to push granblue more in the west, as they now own stock in cygames and if granblue does better they gain some of that profits too. If thats the case though then all these DLC's will be purely profit/future exposure related

He did not say that. Stop spreading misinformation.
I am not spreading mis-information. Here is an exact quote from Verge 4 days ago

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77162181/911785222

Yes. There's no point in panicking over Granblue Fantasy in Smash yet. Those negotiations may have fell through entirely according to Hitagi, which is where that leak was coming from concerning those discussions that happened. I think people should try & calm down about it since it might have never even got past the negotiation stage.
If he has said something different since, let me know

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
That link doesn't lead to a direct quote, and the second page of that thread disproves your assertion.

A lot of westerners were disappointed by him getting relegated to final smash, it's not just the east. And again, this is why Katalina doesn't make any sense to me. If they wanted to appeal to Japan they'd pick Djeeta and Gran, they're way more popular.. and, ya know, the main character...

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
I think I've made my peace with Katalina possibly being in now. I can understand the business decisions behind it, since getting Cygames on their side will absolutely help Nintendo's mobile strategy going forward.

If she's not in - well, I've no stake in her inclusion, so life goes on. If she is, then hey, at least she'll have an interesting moveset and bring some good music.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Water-users are still pretty heavily outnumbered by fire-users on the roster (we currently only have Squirtle, Greninja, and Corrin for primary water-users and Mario having one water move), but I'd rather see another ice-user (we only really have Ice Climbers and Lucas on that front, neither of whom use it in many moves), an air-user (i.e. Vaati, Klonoa, or Soren), or an earth-user (i.e. Isaac, Lycanroc, or Matthew).

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Water-users are still pretty heavily outnumbered by fire-users on the roster (we currently only have Squirtle, Greninja, and Corrin for primary water-users and Mario having one water move), but I'd rather see another ice-user (we only really have Ice Climbers and Lucas on that front, neither of whom use it in many moves), an air-user (i.e. Vaati, Klonoa, or Soren), or an earth-user (i.e. Isaac, Lycanroc, or Matthew).
Katalina's charge attack is called "Blades of Frost", pretty sure she covers your Ice User wish

Also, she should absolutely have Light Wall as a special, which, if it actually acts as a light wall could be a pretty abusive ledge guarding tool.

Last edited:

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
A lot of westerners were disappointed by him getting relegated to final smash, it's not just the east. And again, this is why Katalina doesn't make any sense to me. If they wanted to appeal to Japan they'd pick Djeeta and Gran, they're way more popular.. and, ya know, the main character...
Do you have first-hand experience with this? I don't know Granblue Fantasy, but I do know that protagonists of these kinds of games are almost always generic player stand-ins. They're never anywhere near the most popular or marketed character in the game.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
So, if Katalina isn't the main character, is this another mascot-getting-in-before-protagonist situation like Pokemon?

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Add me to the support list please. I know very little about GBF (aside from it's immense popularity in Japan), but she looks like she could make for a fun and interesting character.

Top Bottom