• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kansas City/Lawrence Discussion Topic

AustinRC

Smash Lord
Protoss rule. Also how do you feel about having Devil's drink at your place, yay or nay?

Jace08

Smash Lord
I'm sorry quote, but I don't really understand. At the end of our conversation you said you saw Tower A, and you were going to park and meet us inside. I told you before hanging up that my room number was 303. What happened? dmac and I even went out and looked for you

AustinRC

Smash Lord
Freddy mercury is all that is man

He didnt die from AIDS. He was devoured by pure epicness from the inside.

dmac

Smash Champion
"He died of bronchopneumonia brought on by AIDS on 24 November 1991, only one day after publicly acknowledging he had the disease."

AustinRC

Smash Lord
So I guess I could really say he didnt die from aids... He dies from bronchopeumonia :/. Regardless loved the dude talented *** singer man. Great man!!!!!

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Ok guys so: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=6B9E9ED2053C605A

Please, give me some feedback if you can! What are some of my bad habits, how am I being punished, what can I do differently? Even though they're not exactly against the best competition I feel like I'm still doing/getting beat by dumb stuff. I just need to be made aware of these things so I can start deliberately tending to them.

(I'm mainly concerned with my Peach in singles matches--those videos are towards the bottom. If you want, though, you could give me some quick tips for my ******** Falco as well)

AustinRC

Smash Lord
Dont approach her just spam turnips. When she reflects them back at you just regrab them. You do NOT have to approach you have a good projectile. Spam those turnips, Also when Zelda is spamming fair and bair you can dash attack her out of the air when your close enough to her. But trying to go into an areal battle with her is dumb for peach. She'll get fair'ed or bair'ed allllll day.

Smash Lord
I'm sorry quote, but I don't really understand. At the end of our conversation you said you saw Tower A, and you were going to park and meet us inside. I told you before hanging up that my room number was 303. What happened? dmac and I even went out and looked for you
Phone died in the parking lot. I pick it up to call you when I saw that the door was locked, and well it turned off literally the second I start trying to call.

Smash Lord
Ok guys so: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=6B9E9ED2053C605A

Please, give me some feedback if you can! What are some of my bad habits, how am I being punished, what can I do differently? Even though they're not exactly against the best competition I feel like I'm still doing/getting beat by dumb stuff. I just need to be made aware of these things so I can start deliberately tending to them.

(I'm mainly concerned with my Peach in singles matches--those videos are towards the bottom. If you want, though, you could give me some quick tips for my ******** Falco as well)
You did a good job of using your shield to hold back damage. I didn't see cosmo go for many grabs if any that game. If your opponent isn't grabbing you often then try to make more use of shielding. They can only screw up, you just need to find ways to take advantage of it. 0:47 was a good example of this.

Something else I noticed was you two were on opposite sides of the stage without approaching each other for a sustained period of time. If your opponent gives you the opportunity to gain ground, take it. The closer you are to the center of the stage, the less likely you are to be killed, and the less room your opponent has to manuever with. If someone is closed off to the edge of the stage, that person is forced to attack. Just wait for the oppotunty and punish.

Don't forget you can walk to approach your opponent too. Unlike a dash, walking can approach without a set distance or requiring a wavedash to cancel it out. You won't be walking over long distances but there are a lot of times that barely inching twords your opponent pressures them into attacking.

I'd also like to add that if someone is above you they are usually safe to attack. So if someone is on a platform above you just start poking at them. At the beginning game 2, cosmso jumped up onto a platform for god knows what reason. Instead of dashdancing and wavedashing you could have been right under him. I don't think that zelda's dair or dsmash is too hot, so that would have probably been some easy damage. There were other times this happened as well. I think it would have been a good opportunity to even the score.

Every once in a while I see you run at the opponent almost without a plan, and try to compensate with a variety of attacks. If someone runs at you, usually the first thing they try to do is adjust their spacing and counterattack. Just try to avoid running stragiht at your opponent from a distance, in essence it's about as slow and predictable as a falcon punch and it's use should be limited because of those reasons.

Towards the end of that match, you started to roll a lot. It worked out for you some of the time, but there were times that it bit you in the but. Rolling isn't inherently bad, but a lot of the times I think that the rolls were just because you wanted movement immediately from when you were shielding, don't forget that you jump and wavedash OOS.

At the end of the first match you started using downsmash a bit too much. I'm not entirely sure of all the move's special properties, I do know that it is really good for punishing spacing mistakes and crouch cancelling but that's about it. Cosmo caught you a number of times after using it as a bail out move. Just like everything else, it needs to be spaced otherwise it's out for long enough that a decent player can take advantage of it.

I don't know how much of a problem you have with this, but in those two matches, the kills you got came at 130+ and 150+. I have the same problem and don't know how to deal with it, but it's probably safe to say that it would be better if you could manage to get the kill more quickly

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
lol actually I was meaning for you guys to critique the matches at the bottom of the list (against Columbia/STL dudes) and not really the Cosmo one...

Smash Lord
lol actually I was meaning for you guys to critique the matches at the bottom of the list (against Columbia/STL dudes) and not really the Cosmo one...
If your opponents spacing isn't amazing try to shield grab more often. Against bert there, were a good number of times you could have raked in good damage from chaingrabs.

You use a crapton of nairs. It's an all purpose solution for you the way you use it. I don't play as peach, so I wouldn't know this for sure, but I think fair has a better hitbox and I think you may want to make more use of it just to improve your spacing game. It also does a bit to keep your nair less stale. The times that you did use it though, it worked wonders.

I've noticed that some of the time when you crouch cancel, you will just sit there in the same spot for a sustained period. Good players will pick up on this. All a fox has to do to punish you for it is run to the opposite edge of the stage and fire off 4-5 lasers. Others characters will make a mental note to approach with perfect spacing, and since you aren't moving, it's not difficult to do so.

Your edgeguarding with peach needs work. You're going out too far to edgeguard. You should never go off screen and the further out you go, the more time it takes to get back on stage. Keep in mind that you have more options closer to the stage as well. In one of the videos against ex-dove, there was a number of easy stocks to be taken by just wavedashing into an edgehog. Just try to consciously take advantage of the easy opportunities that you are missing.

You are taking a decent number of hits because you are stuck between your opponent and the edge with no room to manuever. It's happening due to a number of things but the main one is that some of your attacks go straight into a shield, and by the time the move is finished you are behind your opponent. Normally that's a good position to be in, but if you are recovering from lag and close to the ledge, it's just all to easy to get you offstage.

You need to work on pressuring your opponent with falco. If you can't pressure your opponent towards the edge, you pretty much have to wait until 120-150% to kill. You really need to stop going through your opponents when you attack, because whenever that happens your pressure game gets reset. Just hang back and be patient. If your opponent is in a bad position to approach, let them approach you and hit them back even further. You don't need to attack them to play a pressure game. Just whatever you do, don't let them get behind you or vice versa. If you need to put up additional space between you and your opponent in order to achieve that then do so. You can't afford to kill at 150 every time.

Stop doing fancy stuff when your opponent isn't close by you run off the edge too much when you do this. I'm seeing a bit of pointless planking and ledgehopping when you could just get and stay on stage. . It's only use in this game is baiting opponents into attacking you by nonverbally saying I'm waiting on you.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
That's some really great feedback quote, thanks! You've pointed out a ton of things that I never even realize I do. I'm going to make a checklist of the things you've mentioned and keep them in my pocket whenever I go out to play

And Arc thanks for the Zelda tips, those matches were back at POE3 when I had no idea that Cosmo's Zelda was so good (I mean I knew he was good with Marth but ****, Cosmo's Zelda is so good) and I don't think I played him safely enough, plus I was attributing my hard time with the matchup to a lapse in tech skill (my usual john). I played him in friendlies at HDR and did a little better, if I play him again I'll put your advice (and quote's) to good use!

<3 you dudes

Anyone else have any advice?

Smash Lord
Does anyone have any recording stuff. I want to record a few of my matches so that I can review what I do in game. It's hard to find my own bad habits without something to look at.

EDIT: Yep it's still in the blog right now, but he beat out Havok and did it 2-0. Havok plays MK by the way.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Toon Link > MK wtffffff...**** MJG is a beast

I have a recording setup, I'll bring it to Massive Smash tomorrow if I go, not 100% sure if I'm going this week though

Smash Lord
I'll try to make it tomorrow. I need to start hitting the games hard. I wanna be amazing too, but as far as pragmatism goes I'm just starting out.

Crap will need to do some digging for an address.

Jace08

Smash Lord
1107 nw 64th terr.
KC MO 64118

Honda if you record I can always upload if you want

Oh and dmac I'm gonna be coming from Olathe tomorrow fyi. I'll probably be a little late too unfortunately.
See you all there!

edit: also we all owe phat monies

AustinRC

Smash Lord
Hey quote, I'm helping everyone try and get better so if you need tips or critiques I can provide you with them. What character do you play?

Smash Lord
Hey quote, I'm helping everyone try and get better so if you need tips or critiques I can provide you with them. What character do you play?
64: falcon
melee: fox/marth

To be honest though, I'm not super impressed with my melee skills. The characters that I play are subject to change. If there's a character that you think suits me better, I'd like to know.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
64: falcon
melee: fox/marth

To be honest though, I'm not super impressed with my melee skills. The characters that I play are subject to change. If there's a character that you think suits me better, I'd like to know.
From playing you a bit I'd say your Marth is slightly better than your Fox, I think you just need some more knowledge of his matchups and you'll be on your way. Also, you're in luck, as Arc has one of the best Marths around...

AustinRC

Smash Lord
I'll have to play you or see you play to figure out what you should work on though. Maybe we'll try and have something in lawrence again soon hopefully that you can make it to without your phone dieing. :/

dmac

Smash Champion
massive is it possible to make your TV broadcast a livestream of a super 4 tourney? If that is an option... well...

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Sorry dudes I won't be at Massive Smash this time, but we should get something going during the week

Top Bottom