• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Kadano's perfect Marth class -- advanced frame data application

Kadano

Magical Express
I was playing around with it and what it feels like to me is that if Sheik starts her up-B and either 1) transitions from the ground to the air or 2) transitions from the air to the ground, a explosion is triggered right at that instant in addition to the one on frame 36. Double explosion if you will. It takes some precision from Sheik to get this earlier explosion when recovering but its definitely possible. I guess I kind of found out what I wanted to know on my own though lol.
I just got to test this, and yes, it’s just like you described it.
So, there was a Facebook post about how Fly didn't die off of the top after being Usmashed by SW in their recent set. SW said it was because of SDI, making it so when Fly was at the blastzone, he wasn't in hitstun any longer, and that SDI either reduces hitstun, or changes momentum. Can we get an analysis on that? One example SW described was after Falco Dairs, and goes for a DJ Dair, a Marth can get a Fair out faster if he SDIs?
I reconstructed the situation (same damage, attack and stage) and SDI makes no difference. Trajectory DI alone was enough to save Popo. I will do an analysis of this situation (used as an example to explain the transition from hitstun to tumble / fall) in one of my videos.
Assuming Fox/Falco FFs their SH aerial, how high should they be to prompt my shield grab?
If Fox delays his nair by only 5 frames, he will already land so early that his shine will break your perfect grab.
If he does an instant shffl nair (nair starts as soon as he is airborne), you will have a 4 frame window for the grab.
If he delays by one frame, this window increases by one. This is due to instant aerials going less high due to gravity being applied on the first frame of an aerial, but not of an empty hop. So Fox will land earlier when he does an instant nair than if he does a 1-frame-delay nair.
Two frames delay ⇒ 4 frame window
Three frames delay ⇒ 3 frame window
Four frames delay ⇒ 1 frame window.

This is Fox’ latest nair (4 frames delay) you can still grab:

so this read was amazing. Learned an awful lot. However, I had 3 questions.
3. So to walk off pivot hog the ledge i just have to dash towards the ledge and then hold away as quickly as possible? That was my basic understanding of what I read, but I want to learn to do it if the technique has at least a 2 frame window.
No, it doesn’t work like that. I explained it in my recent stream: http://www.twitch.tv/kadano92/c/3445143
If you didn’t understand that well due to my bad English or bad explanations, you’ll have to wait until I do proper videos.
I’m not quite sure what text you refer to when you say it was an amazing read, but I explained it in detail here too. It’s not as easy as you make it out to be, but it’s really everything within the video and the linked post, so I recommend reading these (again?).
2. For countering sheik's up b, how exactly do i do this when i think she is going horizontal? is this a walk off counter? not sure I followed your explanation because youtube isn't working for me. I'll look at it again when I get home.
Are you talking about the down-B Counter or a counter when you hang on the ledge and Sheik recovers? Also, horizontal isn’t definite; Sheik has so many ways to do her up-B it isn’t even funny.

1. More importantly, am I able to truly CC when I'm wavedashing?
No.
I forget the details about CC, but I thought that the ASDI down has one effect and the Crouch has another.
That’s true.

In practice, will it be better for marth to wd for movement if he intends to crouch and get hit by the laser over dashing and holding down while eating the laser? or do i receive the least stun by just sitting there in actual crouch and eating it.
Take laser while crouching:
2 frames hitlag
5 frames hitstun (DamageN1)

Take laser while standing:
4 frames hitlag
8 frames hitstun (DamageN1)

Take laser while charging a smash attack:
4 frames hitlag
10 frames hitstun (DamageN1)

Last edited:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Pivot fsmash has a 3-frame window. They just designed it like that so you could fsmash with the control stick. If you couldn't interrupt the first 3 frames of a dash with an fsmash, then you'd have to be frame perfect to fsmash without the C-stick. It's along the same lines as why you can JC usmash but not other smash attacks.
Oh! that makes sense for JC Up-smash and Up-b, why would they have added Grab to allow cancelling jump squat with though?

Kadano

Magical Express
Just want to state again that the 3-frame leniency window for fsmash during dash is not active for consecutive dashes so that no misinformation is spread.
To be precise: If you dash left and press A immediately, these timings will trigger fsmash: ←+A at the same time, ← then after up to 3 frames A. So the total input window is 4 frames.
If you dash left and then, on Dash 4 or later, press strong right again, you will immediately transition to Turn and if you keep the dash input criterion (|x−128|≥64) active for another frame, Turn will be canceled into another dash.
Pressing A together with the dash input on the Turn frame will trigger an fsmash. Pressing A during Dash 1 or later will not and cause a dash attack instead.

I have no idea why we got JC grabs. It really makes no sense why it is possible, so I guess it was intended. Maybe Sakurai will tell us one day.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I've theorized that by allowing the game to execute ^A for usmash during jumpsquat, they incidentally allowed ^A+shield, which is all Z is anyway.

Is it easier to catch items out of tumble as opposed to drifting upright?

If CCing reduces your hitlag, does it also reduce the opponent's to keep them the same?

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
This is Fox’ earliest nair you can still grab:
Did you mean latest nair? If not, I don't understand what you're trying to get at.

Take laser while crouching:
2 frames hitlag
5 frames hitstun (DamageN1)

Take laser while standing:
4 frames hitlag
8 frames hitstun (DamageN1)

Take laser while charging a smash attack:
4 frames hitlag
10 frames hitstun (DamageN1)
This is really cool. I didn't know stuff like CC affected hitlag. I thought it only affected knockdown, knockback, and hitstun.

NEW QUESTION:

How exactly does knockdown work? Is it based on percentage, knockback, or is it its own value? I want to know the nitty gritty :D

<3 you Kadano

Kadano

Magical Express
Did you mean latest nair? If not, I don't understand what you're trying to get at.
Yes, I did! Thanks for calling out my mistake.
How exactly does knockdown work? Is it based on percentage, knockback, or is it its own value? I want to know the nitty gritty :D
It depends on the knockback being above a certain threshold. Marth doesn’t fall from the shine in NTSC, but he does in PAL as his weight decreased from 87 to 85. In NTSC, shine’s knockback on Marth is 79.39, in PAL it’s 80.05. Therefore, I suspect the threshold to be exactly 80.
Whether knockdown occurs is determined at launch and the hitstun animation changes depending on it.
I won’t go into more detail for now as I think this is something that can be better explained in a video.
By the way, Tai, do you have a recent set you’d like to have TAS-analyzed?

hectohertz

Smash Ace
@kadano: is the timing on grabbing that nair affected by positioning your shield (i've heard people say you can make aerials less-safe by tilting your shield up) ?

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
@Kadano: any particular kind of matchup you'd want to analyze? :)

Also, I found an old post by SB saying that the threshold for tumble (and I think therefore, knockdown) is 31 frames of hit stun. But he also implied that hit stun is a product of knockback.

Two more things:
1. What is the multiplier for KB/stun/hitlag when you're charging a smash? I believe it was 1.2x
2. What's the multiplier for KB when you get bounced against a surface? Once again I think it's 0.7x but I'm not sure. SB told me these things on Facebook but I can't find them right now because I'm on my phone.

Edit: the SB post says hit stun is 0.4*KB. That means KB for knockdown would have to be 77.5, but that doesn't agree with your numbers...... Hrmm. Do you know if there's weird rounding that goes on?

Bones0

Smash Legend
@kadano: is the timing on grabbing that nair affected by positioning your shield (i've heard people say you can make aerials less-safe by tilting your shield up) ?
Tilting your shield only makes an aerial less safe if it will cause them to hit it sooner. The whole idea behind tilting, aside from the possibility of messing up their FF timing, is that you can tilt your shield upwards at an opponent coming down with an attack, so you enter shield stun earlier. If they hit your shield one frame earlier than if you didn't tilt, then you will have one more frame to get your grab out by the time they land and recover from lag. In the GIF Kadano made, tilting your shield in any direction wouldn't matter because the aerial hit on the first frame it came out. Fox was already on top of Marth's shield no matter which way it was tilted so you can't shield the aerial any sooner or later.

Kadano

Magical Express
@Kadano: any particular kind of matchup you'd want to analyze? :)
I want my videos to help as many players as possible, so I guess popular matchups like Falco or Sheik will be best to begin with.

Hitstun amount is knockback*0.4, so 31 frames still trigger soft collision (4 frames landing lag) and 32 frames trigger hard collison (knockdown / tech).
1. Yes, it’s 1.2 (shoutouts to Strong Bad’s xlsx file, it’s so helpful).
2. It’s somewhere between 0.7 and 0.85, but I can’t find a Magus420 or Strong Bad post about it and anybody else is not to be trusted. I want to learn Dolphin code as soon as possible, but I forgot where the video guide on it I watched recently is located.

Kadano

Magical Express
If your shield is small, then yes, this can help. Slightly delayed sh nairs would miss your shield and your hurtboxes during the first few frames, assuming they are slightly spaced – otherwise, they still hit your shield as soon as they come out. If we assume spaced nairs, the need for shield angling doesn’t arise, however, as the shield pushback will move you out of shine’s range anyway so that you can shieldgrab him without risking a grab.
I only recommend it if your shield is so small that you would get shieldstabbed if you didn’t tilt.

JazzDynamite!

Smash Rookie
Hello Kadano, do you have any theories about tech chasing? I was thinking about it the other day and it seems somewhat underused. Here are some concepts I was wondering about specifically:

>In general, is tech chasing [in certain match ups] a worthy pursuit? Is learning to do it on reaction realistic or is prediction an important factor?
>Some characters can use DI to avoid having to tech; which characters are the best for putting into a tech chase situation/can't avoid it?
>Vs. Fox, Falco, and Falcon, which throws are the best for setting up tech chases? What percents does uthrow start/stop having enough hitstun to create a knockdown and does it offer more leniency than other throws as a tech chase set up?
>Can you actually create a "frame trap" near the ledge where all of the opponent's options will cause them to get fsmashed or regrabbed?

Kadano

Magical Express
In general, is tech chasing [in certain match ups] a worthy pursuit? Is learning to do it on reaction realistic or is prediction an important factor?
For some character-throw-%-reaction time combinations, techchasing on reaction is possible. I will do a video on it as soon as I know how many frames I can assume as a reaction time that’s realistic for at least a good portion of Marth players. (Yes, this is a request to link me articles or studies about it.) Nevermind, I’ll just assume 10 frames (167ms) for auditory and 12 frames (200ms) for visual reaction times.
Some characters can use DI to avoid having to tech; which characters are the best for putting into a tech chase situation/can't avoid it?
Fast falling characters with techrolls that start to move early, but move slow and don’t have long intangibility.
Vs. Fox, Falco, and Falcon, which throws are the best for setting up tech chases? What percents does uthrow start/stop having enough hitstun to create a knockdown and does it offer more leniency than other throws as a tech chase set up?
Fthrow is the best because it has the most frame advantage. Dthrow is a bit slower so tech options like Falco’s techroll away escape most chases (you can still hit him with run cancel tipper fsmash if your reaction time is at least decent). In general, you want to wavedash towards where they will collide with the ground as soon as your grab ends, perceive their choice during your LandingFallSpecial and then react as soon as possible.
Uthrow techchase isn’t worth it because you have easier guaranteed options out of it if you catch them while they are still airborne.
Can you actually create a "frame trap" near the ledge where all of the opponent's options will cause them to get fsmashed or regrabbed?
Yes, this is possible against a good portion of the character cast.

He-Man1

Smash Rookie
Also, I've been thinking of doing video analyses of high-level matches and showcase better options from certain micro-situations that are both humanly possible and low risk / high reward. Are you guys interested in this?
If you are, I request high-level players to post video links (preferably in 60 fps, but it seems I'm the only one streaming in that frame rate?) of sets where they lost although they felt they had a good day. This is to avoid over-analyzing sets in which the bad decisions are only due to the player not doing his best.

This is a very cool idea which I think could be really useful. As a falcon main I would love to get some analysis on hax vs dr pp (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8D6_x-ARjOc)

I'm interested in what falcon's best options are after getting hit by or shielding a laser. I also want to know what falcon's viable answers to falco shield pressure are. PP makes a lot of recovery choices which seem difficult to cover, so I'd like to know if you see better solutions.

Kadano

Magical Express
This is a very cool idea which I think could be really useful. As a falcon main I would love to get some analysis on hax vs dr pp (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8D6_x-ARjOc)

I'm interested in what falcon's best options are after getting hit by or shielding a laser. I also want to know what falcon's viable answers to falco shield pressure are. PP makes a lot of recovery choices which seem difficult to cover, so I'd like to know if you see better solutions.
Thanks, loaded that video into my research folder. I’m still in the process of getting my software together, so it will take a week or so until I start delivering.

He-Man1

Smash Rookie
Awesome! Based on the analysis in the rest of this thread, I'm definitely looking forward to your videos.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
A whole bunch of my smash friends were testing their reaction times and sharing them a while back. I think 12 frames is slightly fast for your average smasher (but still reasonable).

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I honestly don't think that a "raw" reaction test is a really good way to test things though. Most people aren't using raw reaction in gaming anyway, because they have trained to deal with specific situations and their brains are able to filter out all the necessary elements and hone into the things that matter.

For example, when I chain throw Falco all I do is look at Marth's arm. If I see Falco drifts behind the arm I know to turn around before I grab, if that doesn't happen I just re-grab. So instead of checking for two possibilities, I only check for one, increasing my reaction time.

This kind of stuff is ever-present in every game/sport. With smash, we are really beginning to see how much we can accomplish if we really know what to look for. Stuff that would have been considered impossible a few years ago are things that are the norm now. I can assure you that it is not because everyone who played before had slower reaction times.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
Interesting you said that, I'm thinking raw reaction time has the opposite problem. The test we used was for one possibility. It was a click when you see red kind of thing. The pproblem with a test like that is it is too simple, because a lot of situations require you to have time to reach a point of disambiguation. For example, the first frame of Falco teching in place, away, and toward are all identical, so although you have x frames to react to the tech, you actually have x-1 to cover the option. Also, most players don't have the visual cues down to a reflex, so they delay a bit as they process the information.

TLDR: I think those raw numbers above are too fast to be considered for competitive play in many situations.

Also, the new forum just notified me that the message was autosaved as a draft. Beautiful.

Edit: I don't really disagree with what you're saying Mookie, just how you're interpreting the information. This is hard to word though. . . What I'm saying is, as we get better at the game, our responses move toward raw reaction time, as we expedite the cues we look for. The human benchmark test is the most simple measure of reaction time, therefor it represents ever player's best possible reaction time. Our functional reaction time is worse than that figure, proportionate to our skill at reacting to certain setups.

Last edited:

Kadano

Magical Express
The fact that reaction time depends on the kind of reaction and the number of options you decide over makes it really hard to settle for a specific value. Still, I assume you did this test on an LCD screen, so there might be a frame or so additional latency that wasn’t measured. Also, I wouldn’t be surprised if people are faster at reacting to in-game actions than to a red image popping up. We have learned what to react to in Melee for a long time, so unless you practice that test for a few hundred hours, the possibility of its results not being representative will remain.

Edit: What I’m trying to say with this post is just that it’s probably next to impossible to find out accurate reaction time values for Melee, so I’ll just settle for those I chose before, even if they are 50 ms less than what most fast players can achieve.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
You have a VERY good point Purpletuce, and I agree with your statement to a degree when it comes down to things that have a visual or audio cue in order to make it function (like tech chasing). I know that will sound odd after one reads it, but a lot of the crazy stuff people do now is not something that relies on a single cue followed by an immediate action.

For example: It's like inputting an SDI down > tech when you are certain that your opponent will throw out a smash and then converting off of it. There are several cues leading up to that, and we are now at a point with this game that we can piece together this information quickly in an organised way that allows us to react to something that seems absolutely impossible for someone to react to.

Edit:
I second the notion that smashers probably react to things in-game quicker than they would react to the red dot. I would also imagine one could decrease their reaction time if they practiced identifying the red dot. I say that because your brain still has to process the information, and if it isn't used to filtering the environment for a red dot it won't be as good as a brain belonging to someone who is used to it. There is a lot of stuff going on here.

I think the number Kadano is using is a good one, because it seems to be slightly higher than the average for "raw" reaction time to an untrained stimuli. So I think that is very doable.

1MachGO

Smash Ace
Hey Kadano, at which frames does wavedashing exceed an initial dash in distance and vice versa?

Vino

Smash Cadet
Three questions:
1. Where can I find the amount of damage each of marth's moves do?
2. What is knockback growth?
3. What is base knockback? What is it for marth's moves?

Thanks a lot Kadanno, you're amazing :D

ZoSo

Smash Champion
Quick thing I've been curious about, if Doc does a perfectly sweetspotted up-B (I'm thinking vertically but you can take horizontal spacing into account if you want), what options does Marth have that will hit him?

Beat!

Smash Master
In case you want a more specific list, here's one I made a while ago:

Marth fresh moves damage data
- All moves are completely fresh
- All smash attacks are uncharged

Tip jab (both) 6%

Sourspot jab (both) 4%

Tip ftilt 13%

Sourspot ftilt 9%

Tip dtilt 10%

Sourspot dtilt 8%

Tip utilt 12%

Sourspot utilt 9%

Tip fsmash 20%

Sourspot fsmash 14%

Tip dsmash 16%

Sourspot dsmash 11%

Tip Usmash 18%

Sourspot usmash 8%

Tip fair 13%

Sourspot fair (middle of sword) 10%

Sourspot fair (right next to Marth) and reverse fair 9%

Tip uair 13%

Sourspot uair (front) 10%

Sourspot uair (back) 9%

Tip dair 13%

Sourspot dair (front) 9%

Sourspot dair (back) 10%

Tip bair 13%

Sourspot bair (middle of sword) 10%

Sourspot bair (right next to Marth) and reverse bair 9%

First hit nair 4%

Second hit nair 10% (hitting with both won’t deal 14% since the first hit will stale the second)

Tip dash attack 12%

Sourspot dash attack (middle of sword) 11%

Sourspot dash attack (right next to Marth) 9%

Shield Breaker (Neutral B): 7% (tick 1) - 12% (tick 2) - 17% (tick 3) - 22% (tick 4) - 28% (final tick) - The damage doesn’t increase constantly, but rather in increments of 5% [6% for the last tick] with roughly half a second between every tick.

Dancing Blade (side B):

First hit - red - 4%

Second hit - green - (neutral) 5%

Second hit - green - (up) 5%

Third hit - blue - (neutral) 10%

Third hit - blue - (down) 12%

Third hit - blue - (up) 6%

Fourth hit - red - (neutral) 14%

Fourth hit - red - (down) 15% (3-5-8-11-15 if all of them hit, so only the first hit is truly fresh)

Fourth hit (up) 10%

Dolphin Slash (up B):

Tip 13%

Reverse 13%

Sourspot 10%

Sword only 7% (if the opponent is in the air or on a platform above you)

Counter (down B) 7%

Fthrow 4%

Upthrow 4%

Dthrow 5%

Bthrow 4%

Pummel 3%

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I was just debating Link's viability on the Link boards and decided to take a look at his frame data thread. I had Marth's up for a quick comparison and noticed that Marth is missing some rather nice information. There is no mention if a move has positive or negative frames upon hitting a shield. It would be nice to have that information, preferably as an update to our existing frame data post.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
Not really useful to have on there since most people probably know what you can/can't get away with by getting a feel for it, and since Marth has such good range, half of his moves would look punishable by the frames alone, but they wouldn't have time to reach.

If you really want to do the calculations, use this:
(<damage> + 4.45)/2.235 = shieldstun *Be sure to round down.

Also, knowing frame advantage for things like Link's Dsmash isn't useful at all.

Last edited:

ZoSo

Smash Champion
I'm sure Kadano can provide a more detailed response, but ground moves in general are extremely unsafe. His aerials are mostly in the ballpark of -1/0 if we assume that the move connects on the last airborne frame, isn't staled, and the opponent is hard shielding.

His dtilt is "safe" from shield grabs at most ranges due to the early IASA frame. I say "safe" because players nowadays typically don't employ the tactics that would be necessary for a true punish (shield DI and powershielding into a fast move).

Kadano

Magical Express
Hey Kadano, at which frames does wavedashing exceed an initial dash in distance and vice versa?
Pure wavedash is always slower than a dash.
If you do a dash wavedash (dash for 1 frame before you input the jump), you exceed the dash distance starting on frame 9. By the end of your wavedash, the Δx advantage will be half as much as you move during one frame.
Three questions:
1. Where can I find the amount of damage each of marth's moves do?
2. What is knockback growth?
3. What is base knockback? What is it for marth's moves?
1. http://www.ssbwiki.com/Marth_(SSBM)#Moveset
2. The knockback factor programmed into hitboxes that scales with damage.
3. The minimum knockback that is added to the scaling part. Marth’s tippered attacks in general have high BKB, but low KBG. His tipper fsmash has the second highest BKB of all fsmashes, but one of the lowest KBGs. More information: http://smashboards.com/threads/tool...n-hitlag-shieldstun-calculation-v1-11.324878/
Collection of the spreadsheets Strong Bad created and Toomai’s amazing hitbox tables: http://www.mediafire.com/view/1yq54d99rj73tgi/SSBM Hitboxes (NTSC 1.0) & Knockback 1.2k.xlsx
Quick thing I've been curious about, if Doc does a perfectly sweetspotted up-B (I'm thinking vertically but you can take horizontal spacing into account if you want), what options does Marth have that will hit him?
Dair if you time it really well (~3 frame window, to give more precise numbers I would have to go into the different timing options) and land the hit just before you land. Dtilt, fsmash, fair etc. are miles away from hitting sweetspots. Even when Doc misses the vertical sweetspot and starts 2 frames earlier, you still can’t reach him with dtilt.
I was just debating Link's viability on the Link boards and decided to take a look at his frame data thread. I had Marth's up for a quick comparison and noticed that Marth is missing some rather nice information. There is no mention if a move has positive or negative frames upon hitting a shield. It would be nice to have that information, preferably as an update to our existing frame data post.
I’m no mod here, so I can’t edit that OP. Also, with Strong Bad’s calculator, it’s really easy to get the frame advantage. Anyway, here are the values (perfection on everything assumed):
Fair +0
Uair +0
Nair −1
Bair −5
Dair −9
Is PSing easier or harder on the pivot frame than when standing normally?
There are minor differences in how Marth leans backwards due to his dash momentum, but it’s really negligible. So in real world scenarios, it’s the same.

Last edited:

1MachGO

Smash Ace
In situations where Marth is negative on block from untipped fair and nair, how safe is dash away for avoiding OoS options? Assuming its a viable options, how much leniency in regards to timing and spacing can there be until dash away is incapable of avoiding common shield grabs/ OoS aerials?

Bones0

Smash Legend
Some questions that may have been skipped (if that was intentional, feel free to ignore them once more;I hate constantly asking people questions about random stuff lol).

Does Marth's dair on grounded enemies have more stun in PAL? I thought moves like stomp or Doc's usmash had that extra long stun because they were meteor smashes, but idk if that's also the case for Marth's dair.

Also, not really Marth-specific, but is it possible for characters to get greater aerial mobility by WDing instead of dashing into a SHFFL? Is your aerial mobility capped by a character trait variable, or is it dependent on your velocity at the time of your jump? I remember reading Marth had reduced aerial mobility in PAL, but does that mean his velocity decreases as soon as he is airborne?
Is it easier to catch items out of tumble as opposed to drifting upright?

If CCing reduces your hitlag, does it also reduce the opponent's to keep them the same?

1MachGO

Smash Ace
@ Bones0 Bones0

Characters have a trait-value which determines the maximum initial horizontal air speed they can attain. This is why Mario's running jump travels faster than Marth's despite Marth being able to achieve more ground momentum. IIRC, most characters can achieve their max initial air speed from their dash.

Bones0

Smash Legend
@ Bones0 Bones0

Characters have a trait-value which determines the maximum initial horizontal air speed they can attain. This is why Mario's running jump travels faster than Marth's despite Marth being able to achieve more ground momentum. IIRC, most characters can achieve their max initial air speed from their dash.
I was mostly wondering because Falco's dash seems slower than his WD, so I thought maybe I could get further SHFFLs by WDing before jumping instead of dashing. Moonwalking also seems to allow for a higher aerial speed, but it's hard to tell.

1MachGO

Smash Ace
Falco is one of the few cases where his initial dash is faster than his run. So if you jump from his initial dash, you should be able to achieve max initial airspeed. However, in situations where you need to cover more ground distance, WDing will be better because it'll give him more momentum than his run.

Kadano

Magical Express
Sorry, Bones0, I get so many requests that I lose track of some, especially those I initially deem to be too much work for the moment. I always try to remind myself to do them later, but apparently my memory is not the best.

1. Meteor smash hitstun: No, the launching angle does not influence the amount of hitstun. Also, Doc’s upsmash is a spike against grounded opponents, not a meteor smash. (Completely irrelevant, I know.)

2. Air speed calculation and capping: Unfortunately, I can’t give Magus420-level insight as I can’t read Melee code. The tests I ran with Luigi didn’t show any difference between a wavedashing and a dashing Luigi’s airborne Δx movement, so I guess the air speed cap is applied on every airborne frame.

3. Catching items during tumble vs. during fall: The only difference is that your hurtboxes align differently so there might be a few situations where the frame windows will differ by one or so. For Peach throwing a turnip at you from below, there is no difference – both have a two-frame window.

4. Crouch-cancel reducing the attacker’s hitlag: No, crouch cancel only decreases the victim’s hitlag.

Top Bottom