• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K9's smashfest!!! (February, 5th and 6th, 2010) CANCELED

ChuDat

Smash Master
I have to admit it annoys me to no end sometimes that Chu is trying to turn a Smashfest into a tournament..... but I am trying to test out some **** in a competitive atmosphere and improve so I'd pay 5 dollars to enter singles since he's right, it does make u play harder. The only problem is set ups, people who come just to fest should not be limited to one friendly TV, the set ups should be split equally IF there is a small little side tournament.

Either way though I'll come if Tant goes.
Well, thanks for being honest at least. I am just trying to convince people to want a tournament. If my convincing skills aren't effective, then I'll stop lolz. K-9 suggested a tournament which interested me. Sorry to annoy you Murphy.

KageMurphy

Smash Master
You're not actually annoying me if I am agreeing with you lol, I just don't want people who came to chill and friendly to get screwed. Like I said, I'd pay 5 to play a tourny tho.

If I beat you in brackets then you'll have to team with me sometime, muhahahah~!

Shinku

Smash Champion
After pound 4, I'm taking melée more serious now, yeah plank is right md/va really needs to step it up. A shame only plank n Chu from our region made it past 3rd round pools, no offense to anyone cuz I know I sucked it up. Tristate is hogging all the glory now and it be nice if it was like old times ie pound 3 timeframe. Point is i won't be sangbagging as much. Tourney or not I'll be stepping it up

Coney

Smash Master
i get what you guys are saying and i wouldn't mind there being a little side tourney, but i personally would want most of the focus on friendlies...i rarely sandbag in friendlies because i'm genuinely trying to get better, but i can see what you mean about money making people try harder. i'd say just hold a small tournament, so long as it doesn't impede on people actually trying to play friendlies and get better that way also.

no reason why the two can't coexist! all this means is that people will seriously have to step it up and bring setups.

not kidding guys.

bring setups.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
i mean

Ed can u bring me with you if the weather isn't that bad

cuz i would like to play massive TvC

and train my Falco to be better than my MK

ChuDat

Smash Master
I agree with the last three people. I don't want to impede on peoples good time. If a tournament can happen then great!

Murphy - LOLZ. Remember, IF you beat me.

Shinku - Good **** man, glad to know you are trying to step it up. I didn't know only Plank and I made it out of brackets from MD/VA O.O. MD/VA needs to step it up!

Coney - Yeah man, I agree. I think that if we get better at this game, then it will become more fun in the long run. Overall, understanding the game at a deep level is rewarding.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Chu's point is valid and something i've been trying to get across to everyone, K9 has the best, most affordable venue in virginia, period. The hagerstown place is the most affordable in MD.

I wouldn't mind playing in a $5 singles tournament, but you see the problem i have is Candy/Boss/Chu etc. won't try their hardest on me when they know they can let me get them to last hit and still win. I feel like i'm getting better and then they beat me and I feel defeated. I'd rather lose by two stocks and know where I can improve rather than have them sandbag and make me think i'm improving when I'm not (For the record chu, it was obvious you were sandbagging for the lulz last week, which didn't make me mad, that was fun, but when people sandbag and act like they are trying, thats what im talking about here)

KORNNNNN~

Smash Master
this going to be fest only :o

it just the point is that we trying to get people bring different games this weekend like tvc, melee, smash64 etc.. instead of having tourney/ having brawl set ups only

k9 already plan making tournament on march, not this weekend D:

i don't think we would want to change plans.. :/

ChuDat

Smash Master
Chu's point is valid and something i've been trying to get across to everyone, K9 has the best, most affordable venue in virginia, period. The hagerstown place is the most affordable in MD.

I wouldn't mind playing in a $5 singles tournament, but you see the problem i have is Candy/Boss/Chu etc. won't try their hardest on me when they know they can let me get them to last hit and still win. I feel like i'm getting better and then they beat me and I feel defeated. I'd rather lose by two stocks and know where I can improve rather than have them sandbag and make me think i'm improving when I'm not (For the record chu, it was obvious you were sandbagging for the lulz last week, which didn't make me mad, that was fun, but when people sandbag and act like they are trying, thats what im talking about here)
LMFAO my bad man. We kinda knew who the victor was during our tournament match so I decided to have a little bit of fun with it LOLZ. You tried your best and almost beat me second match. If you had beat me, then you could have had bragging rights. I would have played my hardest on the third match as well. Pray that I sandbag against u next time so u can take a tournament match off of me! (BTW, planking is ineffective vs me).

Kenrawr

Smash Master
I wouldn't mind throwing a side tourney if there were enough set-ups. I can keep the tourney in the basement while everyone that doesn't want to participate can stay on the other floors. If there's enough interest at the time I'd be down.

My only problem if any is that when I fail in a tourney I don't feel like playing friendlies anymore. ;x

Hopefully the weather isn't TOO bad!

Edit: Zomg so much ninja'ing.

Coney

Smash Master
with what the above posters have said in mind i'll be holding my own little side event:

KONEY'S KOOL IMPROVEMENT KHALLENGE​

i'll be baking a batch of cookies/brownies/whatever to bring to the venue. if you'd like to participate, play me in a friendly at some point during the fest. if you can successfully point out a bad habit that i don't know about, i'll give you one!

the goal of this is twofold: one, to play all the people who still think i'm bad and sandbag against me (i know you're out there!) and show them that i am, at the very least, only mediocre, and two, to remove all my thinly veiled habits that i can't see for myself.

habits that cannot be brought up:

- jumping from ledge every time (i do this for a reason!)
- doing specific moves too much (inhale, pivot grab, because they work more often than not. HOWEVER if i continue to do them against you and you continually punish me, you may point them out)
- charging smashes (this works out for me enough for it not to be a bad habit, but instead just an estimation)
- grabbing too much (lol)

everything else is fair game! and don't say any on the boards right now, it'll be called cheating and then it won't be viable this weekend. >:[

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Oh yeah, well next time i won't run away like a little girl either. I wasn't trying my hardest either rofl, we were just having fun, the footstool was nice on my part though

I'm getting better, no worries. Did you see me (legitimately) take meep to game 3? I 3 stocked him on rainbow cruise (but he 3 stocked me and 2 stocked me the other games, ouch). Thats what im focusing on this month, im trying to avoid tourneys and do some special training to come back ready in march. I'm going to be hosting less events so i can focus more on playing.

I'll be here weather permitting and k9's dad permitting. I'll have the following with me:

Pokemon Platinum
Yugioh Cards
Mario Kart Wii
Mario Kart DS (i dunno if i can play this, carpal tunnels)
Brawl
Melee
Tatsunoko vs Capcom
and i might be able to get strikers from my bro, and soul calibur II as well. we can play anything

ChuDat

Smash Master
I wouldn't mind throwing a side tourney if there were enough set-ups. I can keep the tourney in the basement while everyone that doesn't want to participate can stay on the other floors. If there's enough interest at the time I'd be down.

My only problem if any is that when I fail in a tourney I don't feel like playing friendlies anymore. ;x

Hopefully the weather isn't TOO bad!

Edit: Zomg so much ninja'ing.
Thanks K-9. You are DA MAN. Would you mind posting it in tournament listings? That way, we can have the best possible attendance for a tournament.

I think you should stick to Snake if you want to place well at your tournament. From what I remember, your snake is ****. By camping well and playing smart, you should do well. Your Pikachu is, well...... OK. You know a lot of tricks with Pikachu :chuckle:

ChuDat

Smash Master
with what the above posters have said in mind i'll be holding my own little side event:

KONEY'S KOOL IMPROVEMENT KHALLENGE​

i'll be baking a batch of cookies/brownies/whatever to bring to the venue. if you'd like to participate, play me in a friendly at some point during the fest. if you can successfully point out a bad habit that i don't know about, i'll give you one!

the goal of this is twofold: one, to play all the people who still think i'm bad and sandbag against me (i know you're out there!) and show them that i am, at the very least, only mediocre, and two, to remove all my thinly veiled habits that i can't see for myself.

habits that cannot be brought up:

- jumping from ledge every time (i do this for a reason!)
- doing specific moves too much (inhale, pivot grab, because they work more often than not. HOWEVER if i continue to do them against you and you continually punish me, you may point them out)
- charging smashes (this works out for me enough for it not to be a bad habit, but instead just an estimation)
- grabbing too much (lol)

everything else is fair game! and don't say any on the boards right now, it'll be called cheating and then it won't be viable this weekend. >:[
I got one for you. In order to improve your self, you must improve your character.

Do I win a cookie? haha nah j/p. I'm definitely down for this though LOLZ

Nilik

Smash Cadet
Oh yeah, well next time i won't run away like a little girl either. I wasn't trying my hardest either rofl, we were just having fun, the footstool was nice on my part though

I'm getting better, no worries. Did you see me (legitimately) take meep to game 3? I 3 stocked him on rainbow cruise (but he 3 stocked me and 2 stocked me the other games, ouch). Thats what im focusing on this month, im trying to avoid tourneys and do some special training to come back ready in march. I'm going to be hosting less events so i can focus more on playing.

I'll be here weather permitting and k9's dad permitting. I'll have the following with me:

Pokemon Platinum
Yugioh Cards
Mario Kart Wii
Mario Kart DS (i dunno if i can play this, carpal tunnels)
Brawl
Melee
Tatsunoko vs Capcom
and i might be able to get strikers from my bro, and soul calibur II as well. we can play anything
I guess I'll come to this smashfest..if i can go though... also I'll mm you on mario kart ds x)

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
I don't know whats more eerie about that picture, the guy's face or the people in background with their fingers in their ears

Kenrawr

Smash Master
Thanks K-9. You are DA MAN. Would you mind posting it in tournament listings? That way, we can have the best possible attendance for a tournament.

I think you should stick to Snake if you want to place well at your tournament. From what I remember, your snake is ****. By camping well and playing smart, you should do well. Your Pikachu is, well...... OK. You know a lot of tricks with Pikachu :chuckle:
fuuuuuuuuuuuuu but I love pikachu. I know it's not impressive yet. I think it's actually my best character when I'm playing well! Can't get my act together like I can with snake though ;x I guess I'll try all snake for once and see how I do.

I would post it in the tournament listings if it were a 100% guaranteed tourney. There's still the chance that we don't have adequate set ups in which case I'd have to can the idea.

This'll just have to do for now unfortunately.

Coney

Smash Master
chu - lol @ a kirby main telling me to pick a better character! hey, if you can find success with your silly character, maybe i can do the same with mine, hahah...

also i can vouch for kenny's pikachu! maybe it's just because i'm a DDD but kenny's snake has never really impressed me in the least...his pika, though, has an extraordinary amount of potential, and there have been times where he's completely decimated people. but, it's much more difficult to perform consistently with pika than snake, i'd imagine, so i guess it's harder...i mean the choice is his, but i like his pikachu. his snake just...doesn't really have a soul, and quite frankly has never really been effective against me personally

but i can only speak for myself. and i hope kenny doesn't get offended!

Kenrawr

Smash Master
thanks NKB. I have one believer! yayyyy.

So who's banned from this?

Sin, Poyo, Ally?
Good point, forgot to touch on this.

Sin, Poyo, sorry bros but you guys can't come.

Cafe is going to update the OP shortly.

also i can vouch for kenny's pikachu! maybe it's just because i'm a DDD but kenny's snake has never really impressed me in the least...his pika, though, has an extraordinary amount of potential, and there have been times where he's completely decimated people. but, it's much more difficult to perform consistently with pika than snake, i'd imagine, so i guess it's harder...i mean the choice is his, but i like his pikachu. his snake just...doesn't really have a soul, and quite frankly has never really been effective against me personally

but i can only speak for myself. and i hope kenny doesn't get offended!
heh, to be honest I don't give it my all when I play you with snake. It's just like "he plays takeover, there's nothing he hasn't seen, why am I even bothering?"

The kirbies don't think highly of my pika. For some reason whenever I play Chu and Hat they DESTROY my pikachu and my snake can actually put up a fight. When I played YbM I took him to last stock last hit twice. (how hard he was trying? ideekay) lol

I guess it all has to do with what match ups I'm comfortable with ;x

I'm not offended at all btw. It's all good. Just gonna step it up. I've been playing this competitively since launch and I still suck x_x Unacceptable!

ChuDat

Smash Master
fuuuuuuuuuuuuu but I love pikachu. I know it's not impressive yet. I think it's actually my best character when I'm playing well! Can't get my act together like I can with snake though ;x I guess I'll try all snake for once and see how I do.

I would post it in the tournament listings if it were a 100% guaranteed tourney. There's still the chance that we don't have adequate set ups in which case I'd have to can the idea.

This'll just have to do for now unfortunately.
I can help coach your snake. I've got a lot of Candy and national snake level experience so that can possibly be of help.

I think a good number of set-ups can be available for a tournament if we tell people to bring them. I'm just thinking about a 20 man tournament, nothing too big. It's short notice so 20 people wouldn't be hard to get. By posting it in the tournament listings thread, we can 100% confirm a tournament. There are 4 days (including today) before the actual tournament which I think is enough time to properly host a tournament.

Kenrawr

Smash Master
I've always wanted to be coached so that'd be really nice. Candy has given me a few pointers here and there but that's about it.

If I can get confirmation of at least six other set-ups from reliable people then I'll make a tournament thread. I think (including my four tv's) 10 set-ups would be more than plenty.

ChaosKnight

Smash Master
actually smashfests is what made TA better because we attend tournies but have Smashfest on the side and we always *tried* <-- keyword in friendlies >_>

i mean if you clearly wanna get better smashfests help too >_>

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
I've got 1

im sure dre has got the 2nd setup

k9 probably has a 3rd

ee can get a 4th

waffle for 5th? maybe

and lilb for a 6th

plus chu can bring a 7th, sassy an 8th, candy a 9th, and coney a 10th. BMX could be 11, Forte 12, Slikvik 13, takeover a 14th...no reason we couldn't get this done

Kenrawr

Smash Master
I've got 1

im sure dre has got the 2nd setup

k9 probably has a 3rd

ee can get a 4th

waffle for 5th? maybe

and lilb for a 6th

plus chu can bring a 7th, sassy an 8th, candy a 9th, and coney a 10th. BMX could be 11, Forte 12, Slikvik 13, takeover a 14th...no reason we couldn't get this done
Actually one of the set ups already there is Oath's. I always forget about that. The other 3 set ups are mine/ADA's that we just leave there for such occasions.

Well so far we have...

Tant
Cook
BMX
Coney?

ChuDat

Smash Master
actually smashfests is what made TA better because we attend tournies but have Smashfest on the side and we always *tried* <-- keyword in friendlies >_>

i mean if you clearly wanna get better smashfests help too >_>
Sorry CK. You are still a newbie in my eyes who places nothing but 9th place. I think I know more than you on what it takes to become good >_>. Just sayin, brah.

/Inui'd
-----------------------

Wii list

1. Tant
2. BMX
3. Coney
4. Cook
5. Dre
6. K-9/Ada
7. K-9/Ada
8. K-9/Ada

I'm sure there will be many more people who bring set-ups. Are these enough set-ups to host a tournament, K-9 =D?

Also, K-9 you said you had dre's set-up at the venue + 3 other set-ups that belonged to you. Do these set-ups not have Brawl? If not, I can bring my Brawl disk.

BMX

Smash Lord
Tant, I pray to God you bring all the games you promised.

If not, I will destroy you in Mario Kart DS.

Kenrawr

Smash Master
@Chu

Set-ups:

1. Coney: TV/Wii
2. BMX: TV/Wii
3. Cook: TV/Wii
4. Tant: TV/Wii
5. Dre: TV
6. Kenny: TV/Wii
7. Kenny: TV
8. Kenny: TV

If Forte can come then he'll probably have a set up. Gotta confirm with him.

Top Bottom