• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Burruni

Smash Hero
This claim was mentioned in the Source Gaming article, Did you Know... Misinformation?;

In fairness, in Japan, Olimar is listed as "Pikmin and Olimar". ;)

If it is referring to them (and it seems to be accepted that it likely is), it's because it's a literal romanisation of the katakana. プラスル "Purasuru", and マイナン "Mainan". ;)

Ooh, this is a fun one! Here are my thoughts;

Characters
K. Rool
Dixie
Donkey Kong Jr. (Retro pick representing Donkey Kong Jr. and Donkey Kong GB.)

Stages
Gangplank Galleon (Any of the DKC, DKL, or DKC2 versions would be fine, but I do lean just a little more towards DKC2's.)
Big Ape City (From DKL - it could make for a good randomly-generated stage considering its myriad of scaffolds and hazards.)

Items
TNT Barrel
Animal Buddy Crate

Assist Trophies
Klobber (Would run around slamming into the nearest opponent, before harmlessly running off of the nearest ledge.)

Smash Run Enemies
Neek
Klaptrap (or Klampon)

Music
Unfortunately, I have far too many picks to make a reasonable list out of. :laugh:

Always fun! :grin:

Squitter. He's quite mobile and his web-shooting and platform-making abilities are both very useful.

Ellie. I just don't like her design or her mechanics. She never seemed all that useful to me, and always felt like a pale stand-in for Rambi.

I honestly can't think of one. Sorry. :laugh:

I actually don't mind. We get what we get, if we get him.

Plots and schemes the downfall of the Kongs. I also suspect he trains to keep in good enough shape to tackle the Kongs and their allies, and he also probably tinkers with various traps, gadgets, and so on, to assess their usefulness for his future plans.

Being totally ridiculous and thoroughly out-of-character, I can almost imagine him having costuming as a hobby. After all, surely he needs to for all of those personas he has? :laugh:

I think it would be just the same as it would be to any other announcement, as long as it was as irrefutable as the Ryu/Roy findings were. If it were sketchy at most, I wouldn't pay it much mind, and would just be hopeful that it would turn out like the Ryu/Roy situation.
Welp.
Didn't know that.
Shut my case up.

Still, Plusle & Minun are... odd choices if they were made

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
tfw you beat Tree Town Top or however it was called. Honestly, that's a good jungle stage idea. Don't just have a regular jungle but make it look exotic, something you wouldn't find by looking up 'jungle' on google. I doubt K.Rool would get a stage but I want him to get one so we can have better VS K.Rool themes in smash. The Brawl remix is eh

If it is referring to them (and it seems to be accepted that it likely is), it's because it's a literal romanisation of the katakana. プラスル "Purasuru", and マイナン "Mainan". ;)
I see. SmashWiki said something about romanisation:
Furthermore, all Pokémon in the game use their official romanizations by Game Freak for their filenames, as seen with Mewtwo's name being written as "mewtwo" instead of "myutsuu".
Aren't Prasle and Minun the official romanizations?

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Still, Plusle & Minun are... odd choices if they were made
Absolutely, yes. I'm guessing that they never really got anywhere going on the filename weirdness, and I'll leave it there for my part. :laugh:

tfw you beat Tree Town Top or however it was called. Honestly, that's a good jungle stage idea. Don't just have a regular jungle but make it look exotic, something you wouldn't find by looking up 'jungle' on google.
I almost wrote this one down myself, but I was worried they'd take that and make yet another formulaic jungle stage out of it. :laugh: Seriously, though, it'd be like playing in an Ewok village - it'd be awesome!

EDIT: Sir Gengar de Èctoplasma Sir Gengar de Èctoplasma - Sorry, I wasn't ignoring your post when I was compiling the quotes in this one. It just wasn't appearing when I was writing and posting mine!

Last edited:
Don't use SmashWiki. They said Dedede was the heaviesy fighter in Sm4sh 4 months after the Wii U version was released. The game itself says otherwise
Yeah, I know it may be unreliable (although it's apparently more reliable than some other Smash Bros Wiki). But still, that information about the romanizations is true.

Last edited:

TallT

Smash Apprentice
More question because god knows we need to keep the topic about K.Rool here:
1-What is your favorite Animal Buddy?
2-What is your LEAST favorite Animal Buddy?
3-If you had to make a new Animal Buddy, what would it be and why?
4-How do you want K.Rool to announced? On a Direct? On a special chracter stream like Robin? Or in a stage floor similar to that of NWC 2015?
5-What do you think K.Rool does in his free time?
6-What would your reaction if K.Rool is leaked? (similar to how Roy and Ryu were leaked).
  1. Rattly
  2. Ellie
  3. A lion that has the ability to temporally paralyze all enemies on screen and open some secret paths when it roars.
  4. Really doesn't matter how he is announced.
  5. Since he is a cold blooded animal I like to imagine he spends his free time lying on the beach or going around conquering other islands.
  6. I would just be happy we got K. Rool but not be as excited as if he were a surprise in a direct.

NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092
4-How do you want K.Rool to announced? On a Direct? On a special chracter stream like Robin? Or in a stage floor similar to that of NWC 2015?
6-What would your reaction if K.Rool is leaked? (similar to how Roy and Ryu were leaked).
1. Clapper!
2. Rattly, I just don't like any of the levels he is in.
3. I don't know.
4. I don't care how he is announced I just want him announced.
5. Plots to kill the Kongs.
6. Joy, I'd be extremely excited.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Enguarde
none
A chameleon to say 'Hey Playtonic! We love you!'
A Direct
Playing with barbies and action figures
Would ruin the surprise but I'd be glad

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Actually, FE4 has never been the best selling in the series as the original Mystery of the Emblem beat it out (498K vs. 776K in Japan alone). So Marth's game was originally the most successful game in the franchise until Awakening came out and actually broke a million for the first time in the series.
What's interesting about this, though, is that those sales were in Japan alone. So if you think about it, Awakening is a massive success, but if the early FE games had the same success worldwide that they did in Japan, they'd STILL be better selling. Awakening is only doing so well because of its worldwide audience. And they partially recaptured the Japanese audience as well, but not a single FE game has sold as well in Japan since before Thracia 776.

Made a prediction list for DLC we could be getting next week.

Alex Kidd could also be a good Mii Costume.
If we get any character alongside Inkling, it'd probably be either Wolf or King K. Rool. Bandana Dee is possible later as a ballot candidate, but if we're to get any first, it'd be the most highly requested one, and Bandana Dee simply isn't it. (Also, we've already got one returning Kirby stage. Yes, Mario and Zelda have gotten two, but Kirby isn't nearly as big as those two franchises.)

1. Squitter hands down. I hate spiders, but Squitter? Man is he AWESOME.

2. Parry the Parallel Bird. YES Parry is an animal buddy, and she (I think Parry is a she :p hope I'm not wrong) f***ing SUCKS. ESPECIALLY in Stampede Sprint. Yes, Ellie is really annoying in this level because of her endless running, but Parry makes this level ten times and frustrating, and f*** it if you fail in the bonus room because then you have to do it all over again. Parry is the biggest pain in the ass because she dies so damn easy and can really mess you up in bonus minigames.

3. I don't know honestly. Probably something to cover a niche that hasn't been used yet. I'd like to see a potential second water-based animal buddy and a proper aerial one. Yes, Squawks fills in this role in two games, but realistically he's not supposed to be that big. I'd like to see a Hawk or Eagle type of animal buddy for flight.

A second water-based animal buddy can easily be filled in by bringing back Winky, who can be both a land and water Animal Buddy. His main advantage would be being able to jump out of water quite high, something that Enguade cannot do. He would swim fine, but would only have his tongue as a weapon (he can eat small enemies) or an underwater dash like the kongs, whereas enguarde can pierce anything easy enough.

4. Any would work. Preferably in a Direct, though.

5. Plotting to take down those DAMN KONGS!

6. I'd be annoyed he was leaked but ecstatic we finally got him.

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
Nintendo and DeNa are set to announce their first mobile game "soon", which leads me to believe we should have a direct within the next week.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
1. Rambi and Enguarde
2. That Elephant from DKC3, can jump on kremlings but runs away aromatically from a mouse? really?
3 An Alligator snapping turtle, no only would you be able to swim underwater too but you'd also be invulnerable from enemy attacks.
4. I don't care at this point just as long as he does get announced.
5. Plays darts on pictures of every Kong's face as well as plot his next plan.
6. It'd be the kinda reaction as if I saw Jesus.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Nintendo and DeNa are set to announce their first mobile game "soon", which leads me to believe we should have a direct within the next week.
I do agree. Plus Nintendo's got that massive maintenance on Monday. (Someone in the Official DLC Discussion thread suggested it could be for the leak, but that's too quick of a turnover time for such an update; this has likely been planned WELL in advance. If anything its a huge firmware update so they can get ready the Club Nintendo successor, which would also be announced in a Direct.)

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Rambi and Enguarde
Parry
A Giraffe. Climb it's neck to reach new heights. That's it really.
Direct or on stage.
Shed Krok tears for Jose Mourinho's consistent ********.
Yay? Would have preferred he not be leaked but he's finally here.

Arklos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Arklos
3DS FC
5455-9619-1086
I know there isn't much to talk about right now, but it's been a while since we've even mentioned K. Rool or the DK series in this thread, so can we please get back on topic. To help us with this I have a question for all of you.

What would you like to see added for you to be satisfied with the amount DK content in Smash?

My personal list

Characters: :4dk:,:4diddy:, K. Rool, Dixie, and Cranky isn't required but would be a cool extra

Stage: at least one more stage that isn't another jungle level. Preferably something iconic to the DK series like a mine cart level or one taking place inside of a factory.

Items: I would like to see at least one more item. Maybe something like an animal buddy crate where you have the chance of getting one of three animals.
  • Rambi you would be able to ride and charge at others at high speed.
  • Squawks would hover above the player for a short time and if the player is knocked off of the stage and can't recover then squawks will carry the player back to the center of the stage.
  • Squitter you would be able to ride squitter and shoot webbed projectiles at players that can be controlled like in the DK games.
If you get hit hard enough while riding any animal buddy you can be knocked off and another player may steal it.

Assist Trophies: At least one assist trophy is needed.
  • If Cranky isn't turned into a playable character it would be nice to see him appear as an assist trophy in a similar fashion as Mr. Resetti was in Brawl. He would complain about how he could kick everyone's ***** 10 times better if he were allowed to take part in the action.
  • Lanky Kong would also make for a nice assist trophy by standing one spot and stretching his arms out to anyone that comes within range.
Smash Run Enemies: This isn't as important as the other stuff, but I would love to see more DK Smash Run enemies.
  • Zinger
  • Neek
Music: It really isn't to hard to **** this up but Sakurai already managed to do that, so just to list a few that would be nice to hear.
Feel free to let me know what you guys think of my list and feel free to share some of your ideas with me.
Its a pretty good list imo. What I just need at the very least, is one more character, one more stage (thats not a jungle), and some actual songs, not just remixes of the same song over and over.

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
Don't use SmashWiki. They said Dedede was the heaviesy fighter in Sm4sh 4 months after the Wii U version was released. The game itself says otherwise
Technically, he lives the longest in the game. Him being heavy + his falling speed and vertical acceleration allows him to live longer than the other heavies. Someone most have mistook that with weight.

Also SmashWiki is http://www.ssbwiki.com

Smash Wikia is http://www.super-smash-bros.wikia.com

Which Smash wiki are you talking about?

Last edited:

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
I do agree. Plus Nintendo's got that massive maintenance on Monday. (Someone in the Official DLC Discussion thread suggested it could be for the leak, but that's too quick of a turnover time for such an update; this has likely been planned WELL in advance. If anything its a huge firmware update so they can get ready the Club Nintendo successor, which would also be announced in a Direct.)
I really wonder what the Club Nintendo successor will be like...

Last edited:

Arklos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Arklos
3DS FC
5455-9619-1086
1. Definitely has got to be Winky (I collect his trophies in smash)
2. Least favorites the elephant. Can't even remember her name, I just never liked her levels and felt like a crappy replacement for ramby.
3. Not sure about this one, never thought of this before. Maybe a salamander that's able to shoot out fire to burn things in your path. Can't think of a good name for him/her though
4. I'd want him to be revealed right at the end of a direct, with no talk about smash beforehand, and all of a sudden credits roll, with kremling names just like in dkc, then all of a sudden cuts to his reveal trailer.
5. Scheming his next plan to get rid of those damn dirty apes.
6. "....my god." o.O

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
I really wonder what the Club Nintendo successor will be like...
It probably requires a drop of your blood, and give your soul to Nintendo for eternity :troll:

But seriously, it's probably just a step up from Club Nintendo. Not sure what they'll do to entice fans to join up, we'll just have to wait and see I suppose.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
What's interesting about this, though, is that those sales were in Japan alone. So if you think about it, Awakening is a massive success, but if the early FE games had the same success worldwide that they did in Japan, they'd STILL be better selling. Awakening is only doing so well because of its worldwide audience. And they partially recaptured the Japanese audience as well, but not a single FE game has sold as well in Japan since before Thracia 776.

If we get any character alongside Inkling, it'd probably be either Wolf or King K. Rool. Bandana Dee is possible later as a ballot candidate, but if we're to get any first, it'd be the most highly requested one, and Bandana Dee simply isn't it. (Also, we've already got one returning Kirby stage. Yes, Mario and Zelda have gotten two, but Kirby isn't nearly as big as those two franchises.)

1. Squitter hands down. I hate spiders, but Squitter? Man is he AWESOME.

2. Parry the Parallel Bird. YES Parry is an animal buddy, and she (I think Parry is a she :p hope I'm not wrong) f***ing SUCKS. ESPECIALLY in Stampede Sprint. Yes, Ellie is really annoying in this level because of her endless running, but Parry makes this level ten times and frustrating, and f*** it if you fail in the bonus room because then you have to do it all over again. Parry is the biggest pain in the *** because she dies so damn easy and can really mess you up in bonus minigames.

3. I don't know honestly. Probably something to cover a niche that hasn't been used yet. I'd like to see a potential second water-based animal buddy and a proper aerial one. Yes, Squawks fills in this role in two games, but realistically he's not supposed to be that big. I'd like to see a Hawk or Eagle type of animal buddy for flight.

A second water-based animal buddy can easily be filled in by bringing back Winky, who can be both a land and water Animal Buddy. His main advantage would be being able to jump out of water quite high, something that Enguade cannot do. He would swim fine, but would only have his tongue as a weapon (he can eat small enemies) or an underwater dash like the kongs, whereas enguarde can pierce anything easy enough.

4. Any would work. Preferably in a Direct, though.

5. Plotting to take down those DAMN KONGS!

6. I'd be annoyed he was leaked but ecstatic we finally got him.
Still, it's a massively fan favorite stage from Melee, so it's possible.

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
1 - Squitter because I love his ability to summon web platforms, plus a spider with eight shoes is funny. Close second is Enguarde due to his ability to defeat enemies underwater and because he's easier to control as well.
2 - I don't know.
3 - Bubsy the bobcat Crunchell the orca. A female orca whose name comes from crunch + shell (because she'd be able to crunch hazards like spiked shells), she's useful for water levels like Enguarde, but is actually designed mostly for mixed water-ground levels. Pros and cons compared to Enguarde:
> Pros:
- can defeat some enemies Enguarde cannot such as those urchins from DKC3 even when they're fully protected;
- can jump out of water, useful to reach new places;
- stopping to ride her at the surface of water will make the kong reach high vertical distance thanks to her water blow, another useful mechanic to reach new places.
> Cons:
- bigger hurtboxe, which means she's more likely to be hit by enemies due to her size;
- cannot dash underwater.
4. Doesn't matter as long as it's during a livestream. I don't want him to be revealed through Twitter or something like did Pac-Man and the SMM stage.
5. Asides from governing the Kremling crew which I suppose doesn't count as "free time", then imagine new crazy things to create, mostly as a way to use them against the Kongs.
6. I'd be amazed, then immediately after disappointed by the fact he'd been leaked before being properly revealed through a livestream, then I'd start to hype myself about the fact that K. Rool is still getting in anyway.

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
1. Enguarde is my fave. He's very reliable.
2. Honestly, it's Squawks. I despised playing as him in DKC 2. Maybe it's a case of GIT GUD but I just really hated those levels.
3. For a new animal buddy, I was thinking that a tame/renegade Klap Trap might be neat. Maybe it could like ride on the Kongs' back and chomp in front of them to clear the way or something. I dunno, I think that sounds neat.
4. A direct. It's just the most hype way for me.
5. Probably forces the Kremlings to do meaningless and stupid tasks for his amusement while he curses those monkeys and their despeciable monkey ways.
6. I'd be a little sad it wasn't a surprise, but still absolutely thrilled!

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
1. My favorite animal is a tie between both Rambi and Enguarde, especially since the two are just that awesome.
2. Can't say I have a least favorite, except maybe Parry from DKC3.
3. The new animal buddy I would create would be Gusty the Bald Eagle, a giant eagle that carries the Kongs through the air. Gusty would be able to dash, and he could use his wings to create winds that would blow the enemies away. The wind ability could also be used to solve air puzzles. I'd add him because we used to have Squaks for carrying the Kongs around in the air, but he has be reduced to a small size, and I doubt he'll be able to carry the Kongs through the air anytime soon.
4. As long as K. Rool is announced, anyway is fine with me. But if I had to choose, I'd go with "by Direct".
5. Probably plotting to get rid of the Kong Family.
6. I'd be so excited and pleased, as I would be happy to see that he could be in the game if there was a leak.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
1. Definitely has got to be Winky (I collect his trophies in smash)
2. Least favorites the elephant. Can't even remember her name, I just never liked her levels and felt like a crappy replacement for ramby.
3. Not sure about this one, never thought of this before. Maybe a salamander that's able to shoot out fire to burn things in your path. Can't think of a good name for him/her though
4. I'd want him to be revealed right at the end of a direct, with no talk about smash beforehand, and all of a sudden credits roll, with kremling names just like in dkc, then all of a sudden cuts to his reveal trailer.
5. Scheming his next plan to get rid of those damn dirty apes.
6. "....my god." o.O
Its disappointing how everyone hates Ellie. I know she's no Rambi, but I loved her water spout gameplay.

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
Its disappointing how everyone hates Ellie. I know she's no Rambi, but I loved her water spout gameplay.
I liked the water-spout levels, but that one mill-thing level that was nothing but avoiding the wimpiest enemy in the game was a pain. Also the one boss you had to fight as her was atrocious. Squirt the nonspecific behind-waterfall-face? I game-over'd WAY too many times on him, now whenever I replay DKC3 and get to Ellie's levels I remember what I'll have to deal with later.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Apparently a new private video has been found in the direct playlist on Nintendo's japanese account. Not sure if this means anything at this point though but it's something that might point towards a direct happening soon
https://twitter.com/NinEverything
Nintendo Everything ‏@NinEverything 8m8 minutes ago
Sorry guys but it looks like the rumors of a new Nintendo Direct weren't right this time around. Was an old Iwata Rhythm Heaven dance video.

Nintendo Everything ‏@NinEverything
5m5 minutes ago
Well, that was part of it anyway. Looks like it was the Direct from January. No idea why they decided to make that one private!

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Why is she hated? I loved Ellie. She was fun to use, and I liked the water spout gameplay she had like you brought up. She's not really that bad.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Apparently a new private video has been found in the direct playlist on Nintendo's japanese account. Not sure if this means anything at this point though but it's something that might point towards a direct happening soon
Is it a scene simular to shulks?

If it is that's fake. It's a old commercial

But there's a enormous maintence on the 19th

(One day after my birthday by the way.)

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627

Troykv

Smash Master
Well... Maybe because we have to take account in the fact that Holy War and Thraccia 776 have good sales for their date's release (1996, and 1998). But Fuuin no Tsurugi actually solds better than Thraccia 776, Gaiden and maybe Fire Emblem NES... Something like 390K; But still worse that Holy War's +450K and Mystery of Emblem +700K (Mystery of Emblem maybe is still the best seller in Japan).

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
In response to TallT TallT -
Satisfying DK Content in Smash - King K. Rool playable, new Donkey Kong Stage (Perhaps one based on K. Rool like Gangplank Galleon or the Flying Krok, and in turn, great selection of songs, i.e, Gangplank Galleon, Crocodile Cacophony, Big Top Bop, Volcano Dome, Boss Medley, all the adrenalin pumping songs!), an Assist Trophy. That would satisfy me.

In response to @Speedwagon,
1: Favourite Animal Buddy would probably be either Engarde or Rambi.
2: Least favourite... Winky the Frog's difficult to control.
5: I'd imagine that he'd probably try to devise new plans to finally destroy DK and his friends.
6: Mixed feelings :4shulk:(Yes, I will admit once more that even though Shulk was my most wanted newcomer, I somehow hated him when he was leaked. Maybe it had to do with the surprise being ruined?)

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
I actually misread your second point.
My theory is that it was just some early verson of random or something because out of Gen 3, Plusle & Minun are an odd choice because even in animation their peak was a minor role in Deoxys's film.
Here's an odd theory: In each Pokémon game, we get a new electric rodent Pikachu knockoff per generation. If Brawl indeed originally had Plusle & Minun in the game as characters, could Smash Bros. have been following the same trend? Is there an alternate universe somewhere in which Emolga/Dedenne ended up on the Smash 4 main roster?

Last edited:

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
ProJared uploaded a review of the DK cartoon today. He was pretty harsh about it but this part makes it:
E X P A N D D O N G

Top Bottom