• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Two little pieces from Tumblr that I thought I'd share.

First, one user believes that K. Rool fans have dramatically overlooked how awful the character truly is, and sought to rectify the situation:

king k rool f***ing a****** ugly piece of s*** should die and never come back hes not like bowser or dedede hes an unecessary piece of s*** the dk return bosses were more fun but k rool is ugly and too big f*** king k rool he hasnt been in a dk game since like 64 f*** he is just an alligator with a crown and he is ugly he wont get in smash nintendo doesnt like him anymore and he is an adshole

The other? A wonderful K. Rool song, in GIF form.

the-stupid-it_zps2f9868cd.jpg

Love the singing K. Rool gif though. :)

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
If I didn't already have a scheme set in place for naming my DK series Amiibos, I'd probably be calling my K. Rool one "Adshole", now... :p

Last edited:

Jestar

Prinsass of Hyrule
NNID
JML-64
Switch FC
2130-3831-9341
hater from tumbler said:
king k rool f***ing a****** ugly piece of s*** should die and never come back hes not like bowser or dedede hes an unecessary piece of s*** the dk return bosses were more fun but k rool is ugly and too big f*** king k rool he hasnt been in a dk game since like 64 f*** he is just an alligator with a crown and he is ugly he wont get in smash nintendo doesnt like him anymore and he is an adshole
There's only one thing to say to this:

D

Deleted member

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
By the way i diden't look hard enough to notice this about the japan poll

Even if ridley is a hazard again from 50-fact

Hes still being asked as dlc

Because hes number 21 on the japan thing

That shows the king as number 1

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I didn't see this lol
1. His grammar is **** lol. That entire spiel isn't even one sentence, it doesn't have a period at the end (see wut I did dere).
2. Adshole
3. He's a crocodile lol.

Also remember my long post about TOTALLY ORIGINAL Nintendo Giant Head/Hand bosses. Tiki Tong is clearly more needed and important in the world of DKC than the main villain of the series. Clearly. Amiright guyz. I mean, thinking that the main villain would be an important part of a series is just dumb.

#TikiTong4Smash

Mugly the realest shoo-in in the room (sorry Brash).

I didn't find him all that fun to fight when you just jump on him a couple of times as he moves faster.

CelerinaTheJackrabbit

Smash Cadet
So since I constantly seem to browse over /v/ on 4chan for any particularly interesting links, I came across a post stating

'Friendly reminder: Sakurai is only going to make the characters that Japan wants for DLC.'

And then it links to that lovely little article by PushDustin. Reading over the reactions to it is hilariously entertaining.
Zero credibility. Anyone can make a list and pretty chart and post it on a website claiming to be objective. Why should I believe any of it?

This is about as substantial as those fake leaks people **** out every other day here.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I'm sorry but anyone who thinks K. Rool is a boring villain has either:

A. never played a DK game ever before DKCR and TF
B. Has but never got to any of K. Rool's final showdowns in DCK1-3 and DK64
C. Never played DK64 where K. Rool is basically the star of the game story wise.
D. Just a jealous hater who can't stand seeing our King getting the rightful support he deserves

I'm going to bet more on A and D, though B is probable too.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
The hilarious parts for me were the ones where the /v/ users were whining that "because it says K. Rool is winning, it is false, because Japan hates DKC."

To them, Japan is just this blank slate that loves everything they love and hates everything else, especially DKC.

D

Deleted member

Before anything else happens, i want to apologize to GameFaqs since i thought that was the most toxic place.

4chan is now the place which i will never go to.

EDIT: I didn't realized until now, but apparently 4chan has a lot of Wonder Red "supporters".
That may be the reason as to why they don't want to belive on this poll since Wonder Red isn't even on the top 50 as far as im concerned.

Last edited by a moderator:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Before anything else happens, i want to apologize to GameFaqs since i thought that was the most toxic place.

I'll never go to any game site forums for K. Rool or DK related news except for here and DK Vine.

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
"k rools to ugly, to fat"

you know who that reminds me of? Wario... -_- Seriously WTF is wrong with ugly characters now? Sounds like people want Super Smash Brothers next top Model.. Nobody is to ugly or to pretty for smash. We can't have only pretty people. We need the uglyness in smash. Gotta balance it out ya know. King K Rool is like the ugly fat kid nobody likes because he's fat. Then when you actually get to know him and find out who he really is, you'll love him! Like my ma and pa said... "Don't judge someone by how they look" or " Don't judge a book by its cover". Get to know the person, and you'll see their one of the most coolest people ever!

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
This is part of why I'm sick of the Fire Emblem characters. Aesthetically, they're just a bunch of pretty faces with swords. You can't get much more boring then "Standard, pretty human with standard weapon." And the roster has at least five of them! More if you count Link and Shulk! Robin is the only FE character that comes close to breaking the mold, and they STILL stick him/her with a sword!

I swear. If another standard, anime-esque human wins the DLC, I'm going to flip my lid. Twice as hard if they've got another sword.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
DKC isn't as popular as it is in the West, but a lot of Japanese fans still feel the need to add villains, and another DKC rep. That's why King K. Rool is as requested as he is. He fills multiple niches. Furthermore, Japanese posters are aware of his popularity abroad and his status as being one of--if not the most requested/ talked about character.

Hyle "Slush" Russell

Smash Cadet
You know, in a lot of ways we've already won. No, K. Rool isn't a playable character in Smash Bros. yet. However, look at what you've all helped accomplish in the last year:

1. K. Rool is now a household name among the online video game community.
2. Retro Studios knows how badly people want K. Rool and the Kremlings back.
3. We got Nintendo and Sakurai's attention. The Mii costume wouldn't exist otherwise. They've acknowledged the groundswell of support for K. Rool.

All of this, combined with the #Rarenaissance (Rare having their shackles finally taken off over at Microsoft and the rise of Playtonic) has led to a surge of nostalgia for Rare's games in the SNES/N64 era. The bad blood of the Buyout Era is finally coming to a close. You've still got the anti-DKC crusaders out there, but they're mostly holdovers from the wars of the GameCube era. My point is, K. Rool is going to be back sooner rather than later. Nintendo knows the fandom is there for Rare's creations. They know that the DK cast is beloved and they can't keep recreating the series or its characters (as much as I love Returns and Tropical Freeze). Donkey Kong Country characters ARE fresh enough, and they fill a niche that other Nintendo characters don't.

K. Rool is trending as the number one wanted character in both the West and Japan. THAT'S RIDICULOUS. I never thought we'd be here ten years ago, let alone two. There's nothing but good times ahead. If Sakurai ignores this and goes with another Fire Emblem character, then don't despair. That's only going to further our cause.

oinkers12

Smash Apprentice
One thing that I love about K. Rool and the Kremlings is that they change outfits each time (except DK64 for the most part). That's what makes Rare Donkey Kong so unique. When you have games like Mario you are sort of forced into the same old enemies in order to feel like it's a Mario game. With Donkey Kong, there's no need to create new character. All you have to do is come up with one central theme (science, pirates, etc.) and you have brand new and fresh characters.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
One thing that I love about K. Rool and the Kremlings is that they change outfits each time (except DK64 for the most part). That's what makes Rare Donkey Kong so unique. When you have games like Mario you are sort of forced into the same old enemies in order to feel like it's a Mario game. With Donkey Kong, there's no need to create new character. All you have to do is come up with one central theme (science, pirates, etc.) and you have brand new and fresh characters.
I've always thought K Rool would be a dream from a developers perspective. You get to appease the fans by including him as a character but you are actively encouraged to be creative and put your own spin on him by the fans.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Friends, if you do see another person detracting on K. Rool and saying he shouldn't be playabe just because "He is ugly", consider telling them this.
"You say Nintendo doesn't want ugly characters in Sm4sh, yet Nintendo let you play as your Mii? :troll: " I tried :p

swordofacorn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swordofacorn
3DS FC
0216-0878-5036
I'm sorry but anyone who thinks K. Rool is a boring villain has either:

A. never played a DK game ever before DKCR and TF
B. Has but never got to any of K. Rool's final showdowns in DCK1-3 and DK64
C. Never played DK64 where K. Rool is basically the star of the game story wise.
D. Just a jealous hater who can't stand seeing our King getting the rightful support he deserves

I'm going to bet more on A and D, though B is probable too.
Or just doesn't like him

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301

EDIT: I didn't realized until now, but apparently 4chan has a lot of Wonder Red "supporters".
That may be the reason as to why they don't want to belive on this poll since Wonder Red isn't even on the top 50 as far as im concerned.
My brother frequents 4chan, mainly for /vp/, he can confirm that /v/ is choc-a-bloc with Wonder Red supporters. It's mostly people playing up their response for shock value, I must stress that, so I think the community's ostensible hatred for K. Rool has to be taken with a grain of salt.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Okay, honest response, can we please stop it with the "anime character" vitriol? It's an absolute platitude, it doesn't mean anything. By virtue of the fact that "anime" in Japan refers to animation as a medium, every character in Smash that's been on television or movies can be construed as "anime" to a Japanese audience. Even K. Rool, by virtue of the DKC cartoon.

I don't mind people expressing their opinions, I don't intend to impose a gag order for expressing distaste towards "pretty faces with swords", but it makes me sigh every time I hear people cite it as a bona fide injustice. It's just as bad as saying "kay rool sux cuz he is a ugly gator [sic]": it's judging a character based on external qualia rather than the integrity of the character itself. It's petty and makes me feel that the K. Rool fanbase has the same insecurities about their favourite character that the gators haters do with their own favourite character.

Just be cool, okay? Militant distaste just breeds absolute discontent.

EDIT: I know it's gonna be brought up, so I want to clarify this.

I don't mean it's cool to jilt fat, nerdy K. Rool in favour of the popular, pretty jock, but when "anime characters" and their fans manifest in the form of the phantom enemy that wishes to destabilise K. Rool support, I need to question a few fellas' priorities.

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
So uhm

Not entirely K. Rool related but I don't see it as being mentioned in this thread already, but Nintendo has announced its new CEO/President to replace Iwata-san.

And it's Tatsumi Kimishima. He was the CEO of NoA prior to Reggie, is more of a businessman than a developer, and was responsible for bringing Pokemon (G/S era) into more households in the United States. He was CEO of NoA during the Gamecube era, while there are some that look at the name "Gamecube" and squirm, the console did its best in the United States, compared to Japan and Europe.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1111691

It's also being discussed here. Looks like this is very, very recent news:

http://smashboards.com/threads/tatsumi-kimishima-nintendos-new-overlord.417469/

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
K. Rool support is too strong... I feel more confidence inhis chances... Is the only newcomer that Sakurai needs put to avoid gigantic backslash.

K. Rool is trending as the number one wanted character in both the West and Japan. THAT'S RIDICULOUS. I never thought we'd be here ten years ago, let alone two. There's nothing but good times ahead. If Sakurai ignores this and goes with another Fire Emblem character, then don't despair. That's only going to further our cause.
Why not both? Okay no hahaha xD (Micaiah [the Top 24/25 in the PushDustin's post and the only viable FE Character in the Top] Supporter here xD)

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Okay, honest response, can we please stop it with the "anime character" vitriol? It's an absolute platitude, it doesn't mean anything. By virtue of the fact that "anime" in Japan refers to animation as a medium, every character in Smash that's been on television or movies can be construed as "anime" to a Japanese audience. Even K. Rool, by virtue of the DKC cartoon.

I don't mind people expressing their opinions, I don't intend to impose a gag order for expressing distaste towards "pretty faces with swords", but it makes me sigh every time I hear people cite it as a bona fide injustice. It's just as bad as saying "kay rool sux cuz he is a ugly gator [sic]": it's judging a character based on external qualia rather than the integrity of the character itself. It's petty and makes me feel that the K. Rool fanbase has the same insecurities about their favourite character that the gators haters do with their own favourite character.

Just be cool, okay? Militant distaste just breeds absolute discontent.

EDIT: I know it's gonna be brought up, so I want to clarify this.

I don't mean it's cool to jilt fat, nerdy K. Rool in favour of the popular, pretty jock, but when "anime characters" and their fans manifest in the form of the phantom enemy that wishes to destabilise K. Rool support, I need to question a few fellas' priorities.
That's a fair point. I think I should have phrased my sentence better, as I was talking more about the kind of people who hate on K. Rool because their character has no support, than the people who want Fire Emblem characters and such. I actually love the Fire Emblem series, I've played through 4 of it's entries. I was more generalizing a majority of the K. Rool hate niche than anything else.
So uhm

Not entirely K. Rool related but I don't see it as being mentioned in this thread already, but Nintendo has announced its new CEO/President to replace Iwata-san.

And it's Tatsumi Kimishima. He was the CEO of NoA prior to Reggie, is more of a businessman than a developer, and was responsible for bringing Pokemon (G/S era) into more households in the United States. He was CEO of NoA during the Gamecube era, while there are some that look at the name "Gamecube" and squirm, the console did its best in the United States, compared to Japan and Europe.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1111691

It's also being discussed here. Looks like this is very, very recent news:

http://smashboards.com/threads/tatsumi-kimishima-nintendos-new-overlord.417469/
This is excellent news! I wish him the best for his run as president.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
So.

Tatsumi Kimishima-sensei?

I hope I don't get dogpiled for this, but...

He looks kinda like a James Bond villain.

He's got ties to the west, though. Maybe he'd be more willing to work with Retro?

I don't think it means anything for K. Rool, but more international diplomacy is very nice, considering K. Rool was designed by an English team.

EDIT: I have to force my fingers to type his name right rather than "Tatsumaki Kimishima", heh~

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
If any game series has something to hope for, Kimishima apparently has ties into Metroid Prime.

But yes, Kimishima used to live in the US for quite some time and has family here and knows English, there is the off chance he might give NoA more breathing room than what they were allowed prior and might even see more love for the US in terms of Nintendo.

This is good news I think. But we won't know until he starts making decisions.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
If any game series has something to hope for, Kimishima apparently has ties into Metroid Prime.

But yes, Kimishima used to live in the US for quite some time and has family here and knows English, there is the off chance he might give NoA more breathing room than what they were allowed prior and might even see more love for the US in terms of Nintendo.

Wait, he knows English? This bodes well for the chances of a direct coming soon.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
I still wouldn't put my hopes up for a Direct coming this month; they're still probably adjusting internally to the sudden loss of Iwata. The closest time I'd see for a Direct is either the end of October or sometime in November.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed

Well, the folks covered by NoA had things pretty good during his tenure there, right? I seem to recall that NoE was in one of its worse states back then, and we frequently envied US fans for their arm's handling of things.

I wish him the best of luck, and I hope he does well in his new post. :)

Wait, he knows English? This bodes well for the chances of a direct coming soon.
That, and the recent job posting for a graphics guy that specifically mentioned Nintendo Direct broadcasts as part of the work. ;)

D

Deleted member

Well since I'm here might as well ask this question witch design do you like better?
classic king k rool

or

modern king k rool

for me like modern king k rool better I just like he has more muscles the his
classic counterpart.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Funny how we were just discussing how anime can be considered animation as a medium in Japan, and Nintendo reveals that the new head honcho may well bridge the gap between eastern and western cultures.

A DKC anime would be hype, that said. I'd love to see DK "ORAORAORAORA!" K. Rool into the moon~

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman
Well since I'm here might as well ask this question witch design do you like better?
classic king k rool

or

modern king k rool

classic counterpart.
It's either or for me. I like both of them. You can't beat his classic design, but I do like that they bulked him up in the new design.

Burruni

Smash Hero
classic king k rool

or

modern king k rool

classic counterpart.
Just to say, they're better known as "Rare" and "Paon"
The general consensus is that if we get Paon with the bigger crown or the golden belly it'll be great.

Top Bottom