• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
A bit bored, so I was thinking names in case King K. Rool gets a cool kill combo like the Hoo Hah(Diddy Kong), Beep Bop(ROB) or Ding Dong(DK):

-King/Krem/Kroc Knockout
-King/Krem/Kroc Koup (from "Coup d'etat")
-Krown Krash (involvement of crown required)
-Killer Kroc (Batman references ftw)

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
There's no creativity in competitive combo names, just whatever the first two syllables are that some spaz on a Twitch stream screams out during a match. So, KROO KRAW or something it is, then.

Although, of course, fat slow bottom tier heavyweights don't get combos, so this won't be something we have to deal with anyway, huh? :troll:

Last edited:

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
As long he can do something to follow up a throw. Thats the Smash 4 meta.
I guess K. Rool would only get the people's attention (and nicknames for his moves) if:
1-he is good
2-he has ze dank memes
3-some top player uses him in tournies (I really dont know anyone from the top guys who supports K. Rool. I know Dabuz supports Isaac and thats it).

I'd rather have the number 1. But the number 2 is more likely since he already has the cartoon to back that up.

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Although, of course, fat slow bottom tier heavyweights don't get combos, so this won't be something we have to deal with anyway, huh? :troll:
Well, if you're as projectile-heavy as your source games imply you to be, there are some setups to be found there.

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
can anyone draw good on here? I want to make another video on my channel before the ballot ends. Care to help me out? I'll give you credit for the drawings

Last edited:

Mr.X98

Smash Journeyman
can anyone draw good on here? I want to make another video on my channel before the ballot ends. Care to help me out? I'll give you credit for the drawings
What kind of style do you have in mind?
Edit: oh yeah, here's an example of one of my art styles for reference,

Last edited:

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
So I thought it was pretty cool to see a 'leak' with K.Rool in it again.

http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/309031720/lets-get-straight-to-the-point-through-certain

Granted, it's nothing amazingly spectacular a leak, but... well, seeing K.Rool again is nice.
See? You can make leaks with credible stuff and not silly Metal Marios. And though I admit Bomberman is weird considering he is not that requested in the ballot (and especially when you claim he is replaced the much requested Snake). Its more realistic that Sakurai picked him for being iconic.

11/10 biased by preferences totally legit guise

CelerinaTheJackrabbit

Smash Cadet
See? You can make leaks with credible stuff and not silly Metal Marios. And though I admit Bomberman is weird considering he is not that requested in the ballot (and especially when you claim he is replaced the much requested Snake). Its more realistic that Sakurai picked him for being iconic.

11/10 biased by preferences totally legit guise
He's still yet to reply to me on K.Rool's playstyle. But yeah, the Bomberman bit really irks me into thinking this fake. But y'know, it's nice to see a more 'believable' leak. Despite what some folks seem to think on that thread.

also seriously what's up with the guy spouting how Pidgey could work in Smash?

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
Yes, he has moments where he can be very serious. His execution of the Kasplat comes to mind. But those moments are not in isolation. They exist alongside the goofiness, ultimately making him a very "theatrical" character. Intimidating but simultaneously goofy.
I really like that description of him, and it sums up why I like him: His intimidating moments don't detract from the goofy moments, and the goofy moments don't detract from his intimidating moments, it's like how most (good) Disney villains are.

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
So far, Donkey Kong and Charizard are considered the most viable super-heavyweights(kinda ironic considered that they were the absolute bottom of the barrel before the last couple of patches). Obviously, the reason is that they have reliable follow-ups from their throws, thus not relying entirely on hard reads like Ganondorf or Bowser.
But on the other hand, characters such as Villager or Wario are considered high tier despite their lack of combos(to my knowledge), just because their strong stage control; so if K. Rool ends up with an equally good stage control game he could very well be mid tier at least. Of course an enormous hurtbox is a clear weakness compared to Villager, but he could make up with a stronger punish game.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
He's still yet to reply to me on K.Rool's playstyle. But yeah, the Bomberman bit really irks me into thinking this fake. But y'know, it's nice to see a more 'believable' leak. Despite what some folks seem to think on that thread.

also seriously what's up with the guy spouting how Pidgey could work in Smash?
Not to defend a fake leak but it's not impossible to believe that Bomberman could get in. If you think about it...

Wolf - popular Japanese ballot choice/vet has both western and eastern popularity but far more wanted in the east.

K. Rool - popular US ballot choice has both east and west popularity but is far more wanted in the west.

Bomberman - modest popularity overall but answers to that "wild card" character that Sakurai would love to include. Plus he's is widely recognized.

It would be a best case scenario

East gets their top
West gets ours
Sakurai gets to make an oddball choice no one saw coming.

It's actually pretty plausible......but that's a fake leak so.... -.-

TheSmasher916

Smash Journeyman
Not to defend a fake leak but it's not impossible to believe that Bomberman could get in. If you think about it...

Wolf - popular Japanese ballot choice/vet has both western and eastern popularity but far more wanted in the east.

K. Rool - popular US ballot choice has both east and west popularity but is far more wanted in the west.

Bomberman - modest popularity overall but answers to that "wild card" character that Sakurai would love to include. Plus he's is widely recognized.

East gets their top
West gets ours

The thing that kills it for me is that he doesn't mention a Bomberman stage, yet knows of a new SF stage. I mean we already have Orbital Gate (which from what I've heard took months to make), so theres no way in hell i think that they'd add another Star Fox stage, yet leave Bomberman, a new 3rd party character, without one..

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
The thing that kills it for me is that he doesn't mention a Bomberman stage, yet knows of a new SF stage. I mean we already have Orbital Gate (which from what I've heard took months to make), so theres no way in hell i think that they'd add another Star Fox stage, yet leave Bomberman, a new 3rd party character, without one..
Yea that's a big killer right there. If he was smart he would have said Bomberman gets the stage instead of another Star Fox stage. Then again...it depends on how hard Nintendo wants to market SFZ. I like how he tried to cover himself and say he never said Bomberman wasn't getting a stage, he just dosnt know lol

D

Deleted member

@ PhantomShab PhantomShab
To keep from derailing the thread with Ganondorf talk, I'm collapsing my response below.

My bad, most Falcondorf defenders often cite that one moment as Sakurai being a Ganon main. I thought you were doing the same.
All's good on that front, then.

Though I want to point out I'm not really a defender nor a detractor. I'm kind of in the middle.
Should Ganondorf be a clone? Not really. But he is what he is. And I can see the logic behind the initial decision.
If it were up to me though, I'd change him up to be less similar to Falcon in his moves while keeping the "destructive strength backed by darkness" motif. You can't tell me Ganondorf pulling this off wouldn't be awesome.

You want apathy? How about adding him in Melee at literally the last possible moment. Young Link was added in before Ganondorf was even considered. The only reason Sakurai added him was because fan polls wanted him. Sakurai probably couldn't have cared less. If only Ganon were higher priority in Melee, or held off until Brawl, he could actually be his own character. But no, thanks to Sakurai and his quantity over quality mindset.
You're still overlooking the fact that Sakurai could have clearly cared less and not bothered to put in Ganondorf at all. And not given a damn about Ganondorf being highly requested (and bear in mind that the votes for Ganondorf and the votes for Ganon were combined on the tally).

You're also ignoring that the only reason Young Link was added before Ganondorf was because he was an "obvious" choice for a clone when Sakurai was specifically looking for clone options. It took noticing that Ganondorf had a similar build to Captain Falcon for Sakurai to consider him in that period. Being highly requested only brought justification for the concept in his eyes.

And the one to blame for Ganondorf not being "higher priority" in Melee is Zelda (as well as her alter-ego Sheik) more than anyone else.
Ganon/Ganondorf was the most requested character of the franchise, yes, but it seems Sakurai felt it more of a priority to include the franchise's namesake than the franchise's villain. Zelda providing the potential gimmick to be a character that could switch styles at will with her Sheik persona may have also put her higher on the priority list.
Then after Zelda/Sheik, the one to blame is Wario if you try to argue that "he should have just added one unique character instead of 6 clones because quality > quantity".
If Sakurai decided to make one unique character in the time that he made the clones (since he could have only made one), which was after all the pre-planned characters were finished, Sakurai has been on record saying that it would have been none other than Wario.
As in, the 3rd most requested character on Sakurai's poll (as opposed to Ganondorf's/Ganon's 5th) who was decided against in the initial roster draft because of Bowser and Peach already being planned as new additions.
And even then, after Wario, Dedede would have probably been next in line, given that he was the 4th most requested and was planned to be in Smash 64 alongside Bowser and Mewtwo.

So yeah, being "higher priority" in Melee simply wasn't an option. And sure, if Ganondorf was held off until Brawl, he most likely wouldn't have the lingering similarities to Captain Falcon he has today (though he would most likely have the same weighted power style Brawl gave him). But instead, Sakurai saw an opportunity to include Ganondorf earlier and took it. Not because of some "quantity over quality" mindset, but because he felt doing it would be better than not doing it.

http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/309031720/lets-get-straight-to-the-point-through-certain

Granted, it's nothing amazingly spectacular a leak, but... well, seeing K.Rool again is nice.
Why would Sakurai not want to use Snake over the issue between Kojima and Konami and then turn around and use Bomberman? That makes no sense.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
@ PhantomShab PhantomShab
To keep from derailing the thread with Ganondorf talk, I'm collapsing my response below.

All's good on that front, then.

Though I want to point out I'm not really a defender nor a detractor. I'm kind of in the middle.
Should Ganondorf be a clone? Not really. But he is what he is. And I can see the logic behind the initial decision.
If it were up to me though, I'd change him up to be less similar to Falcon in his moves while keeping the "destructive strength backed by darkness" motif. You can't tell me Ganondorf pulling this off wouldn't be awesome.

You're still overlooking the fact that Sakurai could have clearly cared less and not bothered to put in Ganondorf at all. And not given a damn about Ganondorf being highly requested (and bear in mind that the votes for Ganondorf and the votes for Ganon were combined on the tally).

You're also ignoring that the only reason Young Link was added before Ganondorf was because he was an "obvious" choice for a clone when Sakurai was specifically looking for clone options. It took noticing that Ganondorf had a similar build to Captain Falcon for Sakurai to consider him in that period. Being highly requested only brought justification for the concept in his eyes.

And the one to blame for Ganondorf not being "higher priority" in Melee is Zelda (as well as her alter-ego Sheik) more than anyone else.
Ganon/Ganondorf was the most requested character of the franchise, yes, but it seems Sakurai felt it more of a priority to include the franchise's namesake than the franchise's villain. Zelda providing the potential gimmick to be a character that could switch styles at will with her Sheik persona may have also put her higher on the priority list.
Then after Zelda/Sheik, the one to blame is Wario if you try to argue that "he should have just added one unique character instead of 6 clones because quality > quantity".
If Sakurai decided to make one unique character in the time that he made the clones (since he could have only made one), which was after all the pre-planned characters were finished, Sakurai has been on record saying that it would have been none other than Wario.
As in, the 3rd most requested character on Sakurai's poll (as opposed to Ganondorf's/Ganon's 5th) who was decided against in the initial roster draft because of Bowser and Peach already being planned as new additions.
And even then, after Wario, Dedede would have probably been next in line, given that he was the 4th most requested and was planned to be in Smash 64 alongside Bowser and Mewtwo.

So yeah, being "higher priority" in Melee simply wasn't an option. And sure, if Ganondorf was held off until Brawl, he most likely wouldn't have the lingering similarities to Captain Falcon he has today (though he would most likely have the same weighted power style Brawl gave him). But instead, Sakurai saw an opportunity to include Ganondorf earlier and took it. Not because of some "quantity over quality" mindset, but because he felt doing it would be better than not doing it.

Why would Sakurai not want to use Snake over the issue between Kojima and Konami and then turn around and use Bomberman? That makes no sense.
Because he wouldn't want to put Snake in withouth Kojima's consent? Because he;s not an original Konami character?
Because that's the only character they would negotiate on? I'm out of ideas.

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
Because he wouldn't want to put Snake in withouth Kojima's consent? Because he;s not an original Konami character?
Because that's the only character they would negotiate on? I'm out of ideas.
Kojima said that he would love to see Snake in Smash again before the release of the game. Konami only wanting Bomberman is possible but not likely, they would probably be Ok with putting in every character that would make them money, and Snake arguably would make the most money, considering that he's already a familiar character for Smash fans and could ride the wave of MGS: V

D

Deleted member

Say how would you all feel if sakurai worked on a donkey kong game?

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
So, Kutthroats, a few questions.
1: How important do you think it is to balance out the perceived all-stars (K. Rool, Mega Man, Mewtwo) with characters that are seen as 'unknowns' or 'dark-horses?'
2: Do you think these 'unknown' characters are important in making the Smash Roster stand out in some regards?
3: Which Assist Trophies that were introduced in Smash 4 would you want to see promoted next time?
4: Was there an episode of the DK Country cartoon when DK went rogue? (not manipulated like K. Rool - this seems like the only thing I vaguely recall about the show back when it used to air, even though I didn't pay close attention to it at all)

Then we'd get an expanded amount of DK bias in Smash 5 when the roster has the entire DK Krew and Dark Donkey Kong as one of K. Rool's Kommanders. :p

I imagine he'd make it 3D like DK64 and KI:U with a mix of exploring and fighting. Also plenty of bosses and challenges every now and then. He could also bring in some new enemies for the Kongs and also have them clash with the Kremlings and maybe even the Snowmads. I'd be interested as long as Sakurai captures the atmosphere of the DK world as faithfully as he can.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
It would be interesting to see his approach on the series. I think he would try and bring new and old enemies to the game, lkehe did with KI. If he wanted to ''revive'' the series, I could see him taking on a new art style for DK, and maybe add some new gameplay elements while keeping it similar enough to the other DKC games. Sakurai would also probably put a lot of small details into the game, like he does with his other games.
And every character has an annoying voice. We also get a DK anime to advertise the new game, along with Fanservice Kong and Edgy Clone Kong as DLC in Smash 4 (don't worry, I'm jokin'. Nothing against KI or its characters being in Smash:) ) :p

1: How important do you think it is to balance out the perceived all-stars (K. Rool, Mega Man, Mewtwo) with characters that are seen as 'unknowns' or 'dark-horses?'
2: Do you think these 'unknown' characters are important in making the Smash Roster stand out in some regards?
3: Which Assist Trophies that were introduced in Smash 4 would you want to see promoted next time?
4: Was there an episode of the DK Country cartoon when DK went rogue? (not manipulated like K. Rool - this seems like the only thing I vaguely recall about the show back when it used to air, even though I didn't pay close attention to it at all)
1. I think the balance would be best at around 3/4 of the roster being icons, while 1/4 of the roster at max can be unknown characters.
2. Yes, in my opinion they can add the ''surprise'' element of both Smash Bros and speculating about which characters are gonna be playable.
3. There are a few ATs that may make a good character, but the ones I'd like to see as playable the most are Ashley, Takumaru and Waluigi.
4. Not that I know of. To be honest, the only thing I remember about that show was the songs :p (But after skimming a list of the show's episodes, it looks like there isn't one like that.)

Last edited:

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
What the hell? Why is every thread in the forum marked with a "Smash 3DS" tag?

Then we'd get an expanded amount of DK bias in Smash 5 when the roster has the entire DK Krew and Dark Donkey Kong as one of K. Rool's Kommanders. :p

I imagine he'd make it 3D like DK64 and KI:U with a mix of exploring and fighting. Also plenty of bosses and challenges every now and then. He could also bring in some new enemies for the Kongs and also have them clash with the Kremlings and maybe even the Snowmads. I'd be interested as long as Sakurai captures the atmosphere of the DK world as faithfully as he can.
1. All-Stars should be prioritized over the unknown, but there aren't really many "true all-stars" left (K. Rool, Dixie and (Captain) Toad), however, after them other popular first-party choices (for example: Isaac, Bandana Dee, Chibi-Robo) should be prioritized over the very obscure/unknown ones.
2. Well, I think it's important to have 1-3 of them, but not as many as in Smash 4.
3. Chain Chomp. Mainly because I want to see how he would work.
4. Never watched the series.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

East gets their top
West gets ours

You are aware sourcegaming

Saids king k rool and dixie are the most requested newcomers in the east

CelerinaTheJackrabbit

Smash Cadet

Actually, it wasn't this that made me oh so doubtful. It's that Bomberman apparently takes Snake's moveset. Which confuses me...

NK1046

Smash Apprentice
Actually, it wasn't this that made me oh so doubtful. It's that Bomberman apparently takes Snake's moveset. Which confuses me...
I can sort of see it, but not really. Snake uses a lot of explosives so those moves might be given to bomberman, but everything else would be weird looking

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Well guys; On September 3rd, The Japanese Smash Bros Twitter showed us the release dates for Mr. Game and Watch, Duck Hunt, R.O.B., and Mewtwo amiibos (which is for October 29th). On September 4th, Sakurai retweeted that post and showed us in a different post how there will be a North American and Japanese Amiibo of R.O.B. based on its original designs for those respective countries. Either way, I really do hope that's not all they're going to show us; there has to be at least one other thing planned for this month.

Last edited:

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Just a prediction. They can't leave us in the dark for the whole month of September without something (I don't count the amiibo release dates/R.O.B. amiibos as such, unless the release dates on them are hinting at something, but I don't really think so).

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Well guys; On September 3rd, The Japanese Smash Bros Twitter showed us the release dates for Mr. Game and Watch, Duck Hunt, R.O.B., and Mewtwo amiibos (which is for October 29th). On September 4th, Sakurai retweeted that post and showed us in a different post how there will be a North American and Japanese Amiibo of R.O.B. based on its original designs for those respective countries. Either way, I really do hope that's not all they're going to show us; there has to be at least one other thing planned for this month.
October 29th seems right for Mewtwo, for the 3 retro amiibos? That must be a Japan thing, because Game Stop is listing the release date for the 3 retro amiibos as September 25th (http://www.gamestop.com/accessories/amiibo-retro-3-pack-exclusive/123757). As for a new announcement, I hope we get one soon, but Miyamoto's out-of-the-blue announcement of Pikmin 4 makes me think we wont get a Direct for a while still, so I think as of now a New Content video by Sakurai is our best chance of getting new Smash info for the next couple months.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

I don't believe leaks anymore - I just either get scared of them or not. This is a decent one. Plus, it's no doing anything too insane. Since it makes too much sense and loads of people want Wolf and K.Rool, Sakurai would never do it.

1. We should be careful - this game has always been billed as 'battle of the Nintendo all-stars'. Some dark horses are ok, but the roster should be mostly the all stars. Like 80-90% stars.
  2. Depends on who. You could argue that Captain Falcon is an all-star, but his games really fly under the radar and have been dead for ages. Yet nobody in smash is more memetic than him. On the other hand, leaving out highly requested all-stars to make room for unrequested nobodies just leaves everyone salty. The roster could stand out, but as the game with the roster who nobody likes.
  3. Personal preferences: Midna, Ghirahim, and possibly Waluigi. And Ridley of course. In terms of Pokémon, I'd also like to see Gardevoir.

Bananija

Count of Trickery

1. I think that there should be 60% to 70% more all-stars.
2. Yes, because if everyone is widely know there would be no fun surprise. Also, it can help great series to be pouplar.
3. Waluigi because WAH, Ashley because a lot like her and Tingle because it would be weird. Does Ridley count? Because I want him too.
4. I don't know.

Last edited:

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
What kind of style do you have in mind?
Edit: oh yeah, here's an example of one of my art styles for reference,

That seems fine with me lol I just need a cartoony version of king k rool. A few drawings of the same model but with different expressions.
One is happy
One is angry
One is sad
One is confused
and one has his back turned

If you be willing to help me out that would be awesome! Although it would have to be quick. I want to do this before October. Let me know if your in

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero

East gets their top
West gets ours

I really think they will be mo more 3rd parties

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

1. I think Brawl was a perfect newcomer roster in terms of getting almost every single big request other than Ridley, but also including a few surprises like the Pokemon Trainer and ROB. Smash 4, on the other hand, cherry-picked big requests while ignoring the top few in the main game (Mewtwo/Ridley/K. Rool) despite there being such a small number of them to add, while focusing majorly on promotional newcomers and surprises. Needless to say, one of those rosters had far fewer people bemoaning the characters not on it for a far shorter time after release.

I like that we can get one or two unexpected characters here or there (Duck Hunt is an example of this done right), but when it gets played up as shock value for the sake of shock value (WFT), it's just frustrating to me personally.

2. Not really. I think having diverse character identities and playstyles is key, which unknown characters can help, but it's not like they have a monopoly on that contribution. People play up popular characters as "boring," but that's generally just because they want to push their less popular character in their place, regardless of whether or not they're actually more interesting.

3. None, really. Dillon, if I had to choose.

4. The episode Ape-nesia, where "One of Us" was born, involves DK falling from a great height and losing his memory. Kaptain Skurvy and K. Rool then manipulate this to turn DK into a rogue thief for their own purposes..."Donkey Kroc" and "Donkey Rool," respectively. There may be other episodes as well.

Last edited:

Mr.X98

Smash Journeyman
That seems fine with me lol I just need a cartoony version of king k rool. A few drawings of the same model but with different expressions.
One is happy
One is angry
One is sad
One is confused
and one has his back turned

If you be willing to help me out that would be awesome! Although it would have to be quick. I want to do this before October. Let me know if your in
I'm in, let me know when you have a specific deadline. Also, any variation of K. Rool you have in mind? I use the original DKC artwork for primary influence, but since you're commissioning, its your pick of the litter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom