• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

SuperSmashSean

Smash Journeyman
To give my thoughts, I do think WFT is very deserving. I don't have any personal bias or heck, haven't even played Wii Fit, but the games sold insanely well and were major "games" on the wii. That being said, she was mostly for shock value as a "didn't expect that one!" kinda character. Besides that, I am happy she is in.

But what is up with all the arguing in this thread? We are here to support the king, not to argue over WFT and Falcondorf. I know this will be a long month but lets try to stay kool.

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
What you think, guys? I guess I still know how to sprite (it's been a while since I did my last sheet);
Those look great! As a spriter(ripper/editor moreso), I'm impressed at what I'm seeing in the last few months. It's a dying medium, but good to see we still got some people around DeviantART and Tumblr still getting their hands wet with it.

Troykv

Smash Master
So, Kutthroats, a few questions.
1: How important do you think it is to balance out the perceived all-stars (K. Rool, Mega Man, Mewtwo) with characters that are seen as 'unknowns' or 'dark-horses?'
2: Do you think these 'unknown' characters are important in making the Smash Roster stand out in some regards?
3: Which Assist Trophies that were introduced in Smash 4 would you want to see promoted next time?
4: Was there an episode of the DK Country cartoon when DK went rogue? (not manipulated like K. Rool - this seems like the only thing I vaguely recall about the show back when it used to air, even though I didn't pay close attention to it at all).
1.- From the actual characters, we have like 39 characters that can be considered "All-Star" (Pretty much anybody from the Mario's Franchise that is really knowly counts as a "All-Star") and the other 14 are more obscure. This is already over the 60% of All Stars, and I think this must be the minimum.
2.- Sure! One of the things that Smash does is show the different characters that Nintendo has and also... put some "surprise" effect.
3.- Probably Ashley and Waluigi
4.- No idea xDU

Last edited:

TheSmasher916

Smash Journeyman
1: How important do you think it is to balance out the perceived all-stars (K. Rool, Mega Man, Mewtwo) with characters that are seen as 'unknowns' or 'dark-horses?'
2: Do you think these 'unknown' characters are important in making the Smash Roster stand out in some regards?
3: Which Assist Trophies that were introduced in Smash 4 would you want to see promoted next time?
4: Was there an episode of the DK Country cartoon when DK went rogue? (not manipulated like K. Rool - this seems like the only thing I vaguely recall about the show back when it used to air, even though I didn't pay close attention to it at all)

Then we'd get an expanded amount of DK bias in Smash 5 when the roster has the entire DK Krew and Dark Donkey Kong as one of K. Rool's Kommanders. :p

I imagine he'd make it 3D like DK64 and KI:U with a mix of exploring and fighting. Also plenty of bosses and challenges every now and then. He could also bring in some new enemies for the Kongs and also have them clash with the Kremlings and maybe even the Snowmads. I'd be interested as long as Sakurai captures the atmosphere of the DK world as faithfully as he can.
1. I think the ratio should stay mostly in favor of the all stars, probably around 75%-80%. Having these "unexpected" or seemingly random characters is always nice to see, and i think every game should have a good few of them. But it should be nowhere near the amount of the "all stars"
2. Yes, very much so actually. I mean they either represent a new series altogether "Wii Fit, Duck Hunt, Gyromite, Game and Watch, etc." or are from a preexisting series in Smash but represent something specific from that series or just have something new and unique about them altogether (Robin with the durability system, Rosaluma being a puppeteer character, Shulk having his Monado arts). The most important thing to me is that they're unique from the rest of the cast and stand out in their own specific way (which they always have been save for the clones of this game, which are fine to me considering their circumstances).
3. Skull Kid is the dream, but not super realistic. I guess I'd say either Waluigi and/or Dillon.
4. No clue :ohwell: i really gotta start watching that cartoon though. I feel like I'm missing out big time

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

@Strider_Bond00J Answering the questions:
1-I don't feel that's necessary anymore.
2-No idea.
3-WALUIGI WAHH and Takamaru are my top prorities (with Ghirahim and Prince of Sable beign my other 2 choices)
4-I don't know.

As you can see, i only wanted to answer question 3.

Mr.X98

Smash Journeyman
Before september 15th by the latest because i also would need to edit and mix the video so that would take time. I was thinking more of a combination between the old and newer design from the trophy. Not to cute looking but looks menacing. But yea, probably before september 15th. But no need to rush though. Take your time :) again i would need one of king k rool sad, happy, angry, confused and one where he is facing from the back. Let me know when you have those done. You can send the pictures on here to me or to my email. Sirfishe@gmail.com. We'll be in touch! thanks :)
I recently sent you an image of the rough K Rool body design, let me know what you think and also which way you prefer receiving notifications about the design.

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
1. Not that important with a few exceptions
2. Some are important, such as ones that introduce other less-known games like Ness, Marth, etc while some are stupid like lucina, Robin, Dark Pit
3. Waluigi. That is all.
4. IDK but the movie is legendary

TheSmasher916

Smash Journeyman
[NOTE: THIS IS NOT MINE]

Don't know if anyone's seen this or if it's been posted before, but I found this pretty damn great :chuckle:.

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
I recently sent you an image of the rough K Rool body design, let me know what you think and also which way you prefer receiving notifications about the design.
probably my email. Its the first thing i see on my phone time to time

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
First off, yes you are wrong, on multiple levels. The joke character has been around since Smash 1 with Jigglypuff, and possibly including Ness and Captain Falcon in there too. Also, just because there has been at least one joke/unexpected character every game doesn't mean there can't be more then one, especially considering Nintendo likes to pretend Wii U and 3DS are two different Smash games. Maybe you should have done your research.

Secondly, even if you were right, you're being a total jerk about it. Nobody is going to listen to someone who calls them ignorant.
Jigglypuff wasn't a joke character. She was the second most popular pokemon in Japan at the time. F Zero and Earthbound weren't dead franchises back then either. This was back in a time where there weren't that many Nintendo franchises, so they were more significant as iconic Nintendo characters.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
4: Was there an episode of the DK Country cartoon when DK went rogue? (not manipulated like K. Rool - this seems like the only thing I vaguely recall about the show back when it used to air, even though I didn't pay close attention to it at all)
1. Very important, smart roster decision IMO is based on ensuring you put in the essentials like protagonists coupled WITH their antagonist for each significant series. THEN afterwards you go for the extras and ensemble darkhorses. It just makes SENSE!
2. No. Game & Watch and Ice climbers were great because they MADE being weird and out there their special thing. spread that too far and it stops being special and starts being pretentious.
3. Dark Samus and Skull Kid.
4. I'm not sure

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
Jigglypuff's popularity is often kinda overstated to be honest. Yeah it was a decently popular Pokemon, but there were a lot of Pokemon that were more popular than it such as Mewtwo(actually planned for 64), Mew, Meowth and the starter Pokemon, and the only reason it got priority over them is that it could reuse a lot of Kirby's animations. In an ideal world were developers have unlimited time and resources, another Pokemon would have most likely been picked over Jigglypuff. Right now, the only reason it gets to stay is seniority, since its popularity in the Pokemon franchise has faded. It was actually almost cut from Brawl.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Jigglypuff's popularity is often kinda overstated to be honest. Yeah it was a decently popular Pokemon, but there were a lot of Pokemon that were more popular than it such as Mewtwo(actually planned for 64), Mew, Meowth and the starter Pokemon, and the only reason it got priority over them is that it could reuse a lot of Kirby's animations. In an ideal world were developers have unlimited time and resources, another Pokemon would have most likely been picked over Jigglypuff. Right now, the only reason it gets to stay is seniority, since its popularity in the Pokemon franchise has faded. It was actually almost cut from Brawl.
Actually, Jigglypuff has a history of being one of the last characters worked on in all four installments. It's never been something conscious about cutting her or not, it's just that her ease to be made in comparison to other fighters puts her off til late in development.
:jigglypuff64::jigglypuffmelee::jigglypuff::4jigglypuff: But we never die.

Last edited:
Very important! Smash Bros. has an interesting marketing symbiosis with other Nintendo games. Smash attracts players because it has Mario, Link, and Pikachu right there on the front cover. That's when the player delves in and gets involved with all the "bit players" which gets them interested in those games. Smash not only features stars, but makes them.

Yes; if there had been some hard rule about how popular a character has to be to get in, there are a lot of enjoyable characters who never would have made it, such as Ness, Game & Watch, or Ice Climbers.

Takamaru seems like a natural. If we can count ones introduced in Brawl, the Advance Wars guys, with or without Andy commanding them. Or, a lone Excitebike.

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Personally, I see it as highly important; there's no fun in having only a select few big names to draw in hype with all the other newcomers being out-of-left-field picks or characters everybody figured were in from the start. Constantly having left-field picks with no huge hype-builders makes the roster underwhelming.
Of course they are! They add that sense of unpredictability and shock. As long as the newcomer roster isn't only unknowns and clones, I'm fine with some oddball choices.
Waluigi, of course. EVERYBODY CHEATING BUT HIM! WAAAAAA!
Not that I recall, sadly.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
1. I think it should largely be kept All-Stars with a few unknowns for spice. I'd say 70-80% All-Stars. That's what the game is billed as. Like having big names like Ridley, K. Rool, Isaac, Bandana Dee (I would argue he's the last "All-Star" at this point in the Kirby games even if he's a very recent one), and Krystal with one dark horse, two tops. Dark horses should never equal or surpass All-Stars in newcomers like it did in Smash 4, otherwise it makes for a very underwhelming roster. I also think "unknowns' and dark horses shouldn't be added just to match the All-Stars or you risk needlessly bloating your roster with characters few or none ask for. We are getting to the point where Smash is reaching MUGEN levels of roster size, with only a handful of All-Stars left to add. Let's just get them in and call it square.

2. No, not at all. Captain Falcon and other veterans don't really count because they were added in when their series was relevant. Characters like Ice Climbers and Game and Watch add flavor but are never the main course in newcomers.

3. I'd like Ridley to get promoted from boss status (not exactly Assist Trophy but similar concept)

4. Edit: Not a clue.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
1) I believe the tradition of one or two unknown characters per instalment is a good thing, because it often introduces gamers to old and obsure gems in Nintendo's catalogue. That said, it shouldn't go any more than that, as people have wants and it's important to add requested characters.

2) The highlights of every roster are the most demanded characters getting in and the most WTF characters added. On one end of the scale we have Etika's reaction to Mewtwo's reveal and on the flip side, everyone remembers the reactions Wii Fit Trainer caused. So, yes, they do make each roster stand out.

3) Takamaru and Ashley.

4) I don't know, really.

:231:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Surprise characters in-place of all-stars are short-sighted because once the novelty of the surprise wears off the fan-base is left without characters they wanted.

The appeal of Smash is the fantasy of pitting your favourite characters against each other. Surprise characters like WFT and DHD, whether they're deserving or apart of Nintendo'a history or not, are not characters we've always dreamed of pitting against other Nintendo icons.

We got those characters, and now that the novelty is worn off the fanbase is unhappy with the roster. We look at the roster and wonder where characters like K. Rool and Isaac are. Had we got them instead of WFT and DHD no one would be complaining about their absence. That's the difference between cheap hype grabs and actually giving the fans what they want.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Surprise characters in-place of all-stars are short-sighted because once the novelty of the surprise wears off the fan-base is left without characters they wanted.

The appeal of Smash is the fantasy of pitting your favourite characters against each other. Surprise characters like WFT and DHD, whether they're deserving or apart of Nintendo'a history or not, are not characters we've always dreamed of pitting against other Nintendo icons.

We got those characters, and now that the novelty is worn off the fanbase is unhappy with the roster. We look at the roster and wonder where characters like K. Rool and Isaac are. Had we got them instead of WFT and DHD no one would be complaining about their absence. That's the difference between cheap hype grabs and actually giving the fans what they want.
The beer goggles of DHD, and WFT, leave you waking up, scared and confused in bed next to Dark Pit. As you reel back in shock, sweet memories of a lost love fill your heart, leaving you longing for the character you shared those memories with.

Flashes back to DKL2, sniffle*.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
This is not a topic I'd like to dwell on, since this is the K. Rool thread and we've been through it plenty around this time last year, but a lot of the shock character advocates fall back on arguing that "nothing but the characters people want would be boring!" And somehow, people just eat that crap up, ignoring that the same people also tend to say that "it's all about movesets, so just let in whoever, so long as they're interesting." When you have popular characters who are interesting and are still getting ignored (K. Rool leading this dubious charge), that's where fans get "LOL SO SALTY," to borrow a phrase, and understandably so.

I still like the idea of one or two legitimately good characters for whom ideas are implemented that will pleasantly surprise fans. Duck Hunt is a great example of this, with the whole gimmick of three characters for the price of one. WFT, however, brings little new to the table compared to every other newcomer, to the point where, if you were to get Sakurai's complete and honest answer, her inclusion was likely along the lines of "Let's put in someone who no one sees coming. Hmm, out of this shortlist of such characters, this one can use entirely yoga moves. Wouldn't that be funny to add?" Unless you want to argue that every one of the newcomers added were the most unique possible newcomers that could have been added?

(inb4 LOL UR BUTTHURT 4 NOT LIKING HER)

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
This is not a topic I'd like to dwell on, since this is the K. Rool thread and we've been through it plenty around this time last year, but a lot of the shock character advocates fall back on arguing that "nothing but the characters people want would be boring!" And somehow, people just eat that crap up, ignoring that the same people also tend to say that "it's all about movesets, so just let in whoever, so long as they're interesting." When you have popular characters who are interesting and are still getting ignored (K. Rool leading this dubious charge), that's where fans get "LOL SO SALTY," to borrow a phrase, and understandably so.

I still like the idea of one or two legitimately good characters for whom ideas are implemented that will pleasantly surprise fans. Duck Hunt is a great example of this, with the whole gimmick of three characters for the price of one. WFT, however, brings little new to the table compared to every other newcomer, to the point where, if you were to get Sakurai's complete and honest answer, her inclusion was likely along the lines of "Let's put in someone who no one sees coming. Hmm, out of this shortlist of such characters, this one can use entirely yoga moves. Wouldn't that be funny to add?" Unless you want to argue that every one of the newcomers added were the most unique possible newcomers that could have been added?

Beautifully put. I really like DHD for the two-in-one moveset (or three, if you will). WFT, though, the novelty wore off for me really quickly. You excellently describe how I feel.

Anyway, back to K. Rool: with this lack of info lately, are we expecting many characters? As much as I want to see K. Rool ASAP, I'd be interested to see if they'd use him for a big finish or a big announcement.

Imagine this: we've got a 4-character fighter pack. What if we got a second 4-character pack of veterans ported from Brawl - Squirtle, Ivysaur, Wolf, and then maybe Snake or the ICs. Then they start making 4 ballot characters, announcing one near December, one in March, and then finishing development by announcing and surprise releasing K.Rool and Ridley at E3. That would also leave a nice, round, 60 character roster...

That'll be the dream...

But with Sakurai's penchant for left-field choices, I'd not be surprised for him to take the joke votes seriously. So congratulations to the reckless silhouette for making it in!

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
Beautifully put. I really like DHD for the two-in-one moveset (or three, if you will). WFT, though, the novelty wore off for me really quickly. You excellently describe how I feel.

Anyway, back to K. Rool: with this lack of info lately, are we expecting many characters? As much as I want to see K. Rool ASAP, I'd be interested to see if they'd use him for a big finish or a big announcement.

Imagine this: we've got a 4-character fighter pack. What if we got a second 4-character pack of veterans ported from Brawl - Squirtle, Ivysaur, Wolf, and then maybe Snake or the ICs. Then they start making 4 ballot characters, announcing one near December, one in March, and then finishing development by announcing and surprise releasing K.Rool and Ridley at E3. That would also leave a nice, round, 60 character roster...

That'll be the dream...

But with Sakurai's penchant for left-field choices, I'd not be surprised for him to take the joke votes seriously. So congratulations to the reckless silhouette for making it in!
nope, e3 next year they will not be smash dlc anymore...
and i hope to not see squirtle or ivysaur... but FRESH new charcter ! ( maybe , wolf , ice climbers snake i'm not sure)
and sakurai once said that big pack of dlc is much easy that one character dlc at a time.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Speaking of Pokemon why is the Pokken section always so dead? Anyway, I've always wondered, why is King K. Rool's right eye bloodshot?

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002

You and me share a similar view. When it comes to validity for a slot in the roster, we don't get salty about the "uniqueness" of a character, but rather the character themselves the uniqueness is incorporated upon. Its one thing to bring uniqueness to a character, but when you bring uniqueness to a character that no one expected and/or wanted (like :4wiifit:), then it would be considered a waste of time and resources that could have been used for a character that people actually wanted like K. Rool or Isaac.

Now with that out of the way, I leave you Kutthroats to talk about more of K. Rool.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
You and me share a similar view. When it comes to validity for a slot in the roster, we don't get salty about the "uniqueness" of a character, but rather the character themselves the uniqueness is incorporated upon. Its one thing to bring uniqueness to a character, but when you bring uniqueness to a character that no one expected and/or wanted (like :4wiifit:), then it would be considered a waste of time and resources that could have been used for a character that people actually wanted like K. Rool or Isaac.

Now with that out of the way, I leave you Kutthroats to talk about more of K. Rool.
Y'know what I'm going to echo that because I feel the same way about clones. The combined time and resources used to make the initial roster's clones could have been used elsewhere. Especially when they're worse than the characters they're based off of. Dark Pit is the most glaring example, no matter the reason that was a ball drop. He alone almost killed the roster for me, that and like what has been said before, similar to WFT, he adds nothing.

Last edited:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
I... Have an interesting idea. To anybody who can, could you possibly datamine the K. Rool costume? I know nothing of interest will come up most likely, but I am still curious. Perhaps comparing the file names to other costume file names?

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
It seems that I am the only one that genuinely enjoys Wii Fit Trainer around there. I certainly didn't expect her or wanted her prerelease, but now I feel like she's an important part of Smash Bros and that she would leave an huge void in the roster if she was cut. I especially like how much personality she emanates with her moveset, honestly much more than the likes of Sheik can claim.
Actually, you know what's funny? We always complain that DKC got fewer content than FE despite being much bigger, yet Wii Fiit trumps even Kirby and Metroid if we go by hard sales :p

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
If I got K. Rool, I would not be mad about that. I didn't vote for silhouette guy, but you better believe I'd learn how to play him well just to troll tournaments.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Has anyone tried to edit the announcer to have him say "King K. Rool" ? He yells out "King" when you select King Dedede and he also shouts out "K.O." and "Rules" in the 50 fact extravaganza. You could easily edit those three sound clips to have him say "King K. Rool". I'd do it myself, but I don't have a computer to do so right now.
I still want someone to do this.

CardStealer1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CardStealer
3DS FC
2681-0263-6525
I see a few people are picking on WFT, but you have to remember that Smash is Nintendo's History battling it out. And Wii Fit is a huge part of Nintendo's history! She sold over 30 million I believe. Who would rather have had as the WTF rep? To me Wii Fit was the pefect choice. Did she deserve to get in over K.Rool? No (IMO), but she did deserve to be the WTF rep.

Also, I haven't gotten the one of us treatment. I would be sad if our King got revealed and I wasn't not one of you...:c

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
I see a few people are picking on WFT, but you have to remember that Smash is Nintendo's History battling it out. And Wii Fit is a huge part of Nintendo's history! She sold over 30 million I believe. Who would rather have had as the WTF rep? To me Wii Fit was the pefect choice. Did she deserve to get in over K.Rool? No (IMO), but she did deserve to be the WTF rep.

Also, I haven't gotten the one of us treatment. I would be sad if our King got revealed and I wasn't not one of you...:c

SuperSmashSean

Smash Journeyman
You know, I recently had a thought about the ballot:

Are we expecting too much out of it? What I mean is should we really expect them to announce them very soon, or give us 4 characters? Are we putting up our hopes too much in the ballot?

Note: When I say this, I don't mean K. Rool or any character. You shouldn't lose hope on that. But if we expect what we are expecting and don't get that, I think many will be disappointed.

StriderTheReaper

Smash Rookie
NNID
StriderHedgehog
3DS FC
2423-3029-0103
1. I'd say that a ratio of 80:20 for all stars:unknowns seems healthy. It's good to have some oddball decisions, but the all stars are arguably more relevant to Nintendo and the roster.

2. They definitely give the roster a certain degree of personality that you don't see in a lot of other fighting rosters, which tend to be safer in terms of roster picks.

3. Ghirahim (the Zelda series needs a newcomer and, aside from Impa, this guys the best choice), Waluigi (because why not at this point point - we want the WAAAH!!!!!) and, although he ain't an AT, Ridley (Metroid rep + villain rep + the last A list Nintendo character to be added + he's a frickin' dragon).

4. Aside from Ape-Nesia, Legend Of The Crystal Coconut and Baby Kong Blues, I don't have enough experience with the show.

At this point, I really don't think I can take this needless waiting anymore. The spanner-in-the-works that was the Mii costume, the obnoxiously loud Shovel Knight supporters (no offence to the character, but the supporters can get a bit irritating), all these ludicrous fake leaks the lack of news from Nintendo are wearing down my patience,

Still, seeing all the bizarre but brilliant camaraderie in this thread has been a welcome comfort and I'll be very glad to see if all of our efforts as kutthroats finally pay off. Although I still want :wolf: more, I'm happy to be part of the Kremlin Krew and be one of you...I am, right?

Last edited:
Top Bottom