• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Its starting to get even more common on the miiverse the "Vote X for the Ballot" posts. The Peach support group is filled with Daisy banners and the Fox one is filled with Krystal banners. Since our king apparently is falling behind on this, I will do more K. Rool drawings there cuz its fun. But I will not tolerate:

-"Dont vote X because it sucks". Anti-campaign is the worst. Just a bunch of salty people who hate a character they dont like getting attention.
-"Dont vote X vote for my character instead cause its better". This only makes your character look bad.

Shantae rules de miiverse anyways.
Yep, we can't slow down on finding people/devices for votes, either. It might not feel particularly urgent for us, and we might be able to make excuses about how votes don't matter right now, but when the other smaller, vocal fanbases aren't going to let up until the end, we have to match their pace. Or, at least with the write-ups that we do put in, make them better than just "she could rep a tiny subsection of the series!" or "could be an X rep/user!"

RetroBro

Smash Ace
Yes.
He is part of A, as in singular, Mario game. Alongside a throwaway cameo in Super Star Saga.

When Sakurai's made his push on rather iconic 3rd Party choices, it's far more likely to get someone from Final Fantasy (Cloud for the full scope of the series, or someone like Black Mage who is tied to the spin-offs and original games more... and had a redesign to take part of 2 Mario sports games.)

In my opinion, anyways.
I'm sorry, but FF7's history with Nintendo would easily prevent Cloud from entering Sm4sh. It marked the divide between the two companies. That's an absurd suggestion. The Black Mage (despite being devoid of any personality, Vivi doesn't count), has a much better chance as a character. As much as FF7 is my favorite game of all time, it's not a possibility.

Geno/Mallow represent Square and Nintendo working together back in the 90's. It's a common ground they met on and ended up creating a big hit on the SNES. It's not just a "Singular, Mario game."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In regards to K. Rool, I've played both DKC: Returns, and Tropical Freeze in the past few years. I'm beginning to wonder why they avoid utilizing K. Rool or his minions at all. I recently bought the DK64 on VC, and I have to say.. it's nice to have a consistent enemy present in the series. As much as I like the new DK games, I find myself missing the derpy Kremlings. The new games, in my eyes, are amazing platformers and really brought me back... It's just missing that final piece.

Maybe you guys have spoken about this in your million pages/posts, but maybe some fresh opinions would be nice to hear.

GhostlyLure

Smash Lord
NNID
GhostlyLureioi
I like how the icon gets bigger with every game.

I will never get waddle dee's "importance" he's an ascended joke character that's just been getting reoccurring cameos lately.(Honestly i was expecting bandana dee to have a more significant role than he did in triple deluxe based on dee supporters listing that game as evidence of significance) i don't dislike bandana dee but the "importance" argument is rather faulty.
However you forgot how Meta Knight and Dedede were skipped out on Kirby and the Rainbow Curse and they only made Bandana Dee

There was an article on why they did this but it's history at this point XD

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Speaking of DK64, one of my friends on facebook finally got around to playing it on his n64 which had been in his closet for 2 years due to no colored wire outlet. Like it was for me, it's the first DK game he' s ever played not counting the original arcade one. Says he's really enjoying it and that K. Rool is a really cool villain.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I'm going to have to vouch for the Dee. Bandana Dee appeared a few games ago and he's been part of the Kirby, Meta Knight, and Dedede team since, and has appeared in several games where the former two have not. He's Dedede's body guard but also shown as Kirby's close ally. These days the four are always shown in a group, and B.Dee seems to be the only one with staying power. Sure, he's the equivalent of a "Goomba with a Hat" and an "Ascended Mook" but that's his appeal. What is K. Rool but a fat kremling with a crown and cape?

Either way, I support both.

D

Deleted member

I wonder how the "everyone's an All-Star" people would defend Brash the Bear in Smash? It would be entertaining, that's for sure.
Like this:

~SomeBODY once told me the world was gonna roll me....~

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
NO ! you can't compare k.rool with anything/anyone!
Is that not exactly what K. Rool is? He's just an overweight Kremling with royal attire and a serious eye tick, and a nasty personality to boot. But like B.Dee, that's his appeal. At least to me. It's not like he's some crocodile like alien that came to DK Isle through a membrane to lead the Kremlings. He got to his spot through his skills alone. So by that stretch of the imagination K. Rool really is an ascended mook no different from B.Dee, but that's why I love him so much. There's no one like Dedede or Bowser in their respective universes, so K. Rool stands out on his own merits (and by gaining a glorious girth). The former two just exist, and always have without much reason as to how or why. K. Rool at least makes you think about how he beat out all the other competitors in his species to obtain his leading rank.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
If K. Rool is an "ascended mook" because he is a "Kremling", then so is Bowser because he is a "Koopa". Kremling is the name for the entire race.

On that note, I enjoy the Kirby series immensely. Kirby Super Star, Kirby's Return to Dreamland, Epic Yarn, and the Crystal Shards are among my favorite games. But I am, at best, apathetic toward Bandanna Waddle Dee. While I think he is likelier than many imagine (Japanese support seems strong and he has a self-evident moveset), I would be disappointed if this character actually made it in over King K. Rool and even Dixie Kong. If the development team used DLC for veteran franchises, I would be alarmed that they eschewed roster diversity once again. Ignoring the call for K. Rool and to a lesser extent, Dixie Kong, and adding a fourth Kirby character of all things would be sad to me.

If it were up to me, Bandanna Waddle Dee would wait until the next Smash Bros. game.

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Except there isn't much that physically distinguishes K. Rool from other Kremlings other than his girth and eye tick. Bowser is at least biologically unique among Koopas and has powers and abilities that no other Koopa has. K. Rool's just smarter than the other Kremlings.

I don't want to come off as like I'm detracting from K. Rool or anything.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I won't try to drag this on further, but think of how I say this: I support Bandana Dee and King K. Rool not because of "look at all the unique things I have". Their both just a waddle dee with a hat and a fat Kremling with a crown. I support them because "look at all the unique things I done". Bandana Dee is a breakout hit in his own series and put himself up on the same pedestal with Meta Knight and Dedede through a series of several games with playable roles. King K. Rool is the multi-purpose final boss in every iteration of an amazing SNES series of games that sold gangbusters with unlimited potential regardless of a lack of a god given right to rule, an endearing fumbling villain on the surface while being surprisingly complex when you look past that.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I don't remember if we talked about it before, but K. Rool in DKC1 is designed to be an amalgamation of all of the game's few Kremlings...the coloration and jumping skills of Kritter, the headgear protection of Klump, the strength and ability to deflect rolls of Krusha, the speed of a Rockkroc and the jaws of a Klaptrap.

Simplicity of design isn't a bad thing, so long as the characterization and intrigue don't suffer as a result. I don't see that to be the case for either K. Rool or Bandana Dee, personally.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Except there isn't much that physically distinguishes K. Rool from other Kremlings other than his girth and eye tick. Bowser is at least biologically unique among Koopas and has powers and abilities that no other Koopa has. K. Rool's just smarter than the other Kremlings.

Kremlings as a whole vary much less than Koopas -- Koopas are more "fantastical" and Kremlings are more "realistic". But it's not like you can't find Koopas that are physically similar to Bowser, either. His children, Boom-Boom, and Pom-Pom come to mind.

In any case, in your perspective, K. Rool's and Bandanna Waddle Dee's physical resemblance to their respective race is a positive thing because it suggest that they are "self-made". You focus on the "ascended" part of "ascended mook". In general, though, calling any character an "ascended mook" is perceived negatively. People tend to focus on the mook part.

In this case, I think I side more with the people who see the term negatively (in general). Especially with regards to K. Rool, who has never actually been seen or presented as an ordinary Kremling. That is your head-canon. Even with Bandanna Waddle Dee, this term barely applies. His first appearance was not the most glamorous, but he was still (and continues to be) unique from other Waddle Dees. Would it be damaging for either character if some backstory like yours was actually canon? I don't think so. I think most people would see those backstories as positive things for both characters, just as you do. But at the same time, given that this backstory is currently an imagination for both characters, calling them "ascended mooks" is something hard to spin positively. People focus on what the games have actually provided -- and they have provided their physical appearance, but not the backstory that makes them unique in your eyes.

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Kremlings as a whole vary much less than Koopas -- Koopas are more "fantastical" and Kremlings are more "realistic". But it's not like you can't find Koopas that are physically similar to Bowser, either. His children, Boom-Boom, and Pom-Pom come to mind.

In any case, in your perspective, K. Rool's and Bandanna Waddle Dee's physical resemblance to their respective race is a positive thing because it suggest that they are "self-made". You focus on the "ascended" part of "ascended mook". In general, though, calling any character an "ascended mook" is perceived negatively. People tend to focus on the mook part.

In this case, I think I side more with the people who see the term negatively (in general). Especially with regards to K. Rool, who has never actually been seen or presented as an ordinary Kremling. That is your head-canon. Even with Bandanna Waddle Dee, this term barely applies. His first appearance was not the most glamorous, but he was still (and continues to be) unique from other Waddle Dees. Would it be damaging for either character if some backstory like yours was actually canon? I don't think so. I think most people would see those backstories as positive things for both characters, just as you do. But at the same time, given that this backstory is currently an imagination for both characters, calling them "ascended mooks" is something hard to spin positively. People focus on what the games have actually provided -- and they have provided their physical appearance, but not the backstory that makes them unique in your eyes.
That's a good way to describe it. I focus more on the "ascended" part than the "mook" part. Also, isn't it actually a thing where K. Rool was at one point a general that became King later? I know this is backstory, but still. Bowser, on the other hand, was always there and was always King as far as we know and most people just don't question it.

King_K_Rules

Smash Journeyman
Another ballot vote for the King! The text was as follows mostly (Darn that 500 character limit, hehe)

Instead of only using brute force to attack like other heavyweights, K. Rool can use various projectiles and traps to confuse and trick his opponents, only coming in close to strike when the moment is right. The zoning possibilities with K. Rool would create a very unique playable fighter. He fights like this in his own series, he has a tricky scheming personality and uses various traps against the Kongs. He has a bunderbluss, which can shoot various projectiles and gas clouds with status effects. He uses his own crown as a boomerang. He also has various gadgets to control electricity and a robot.

Please continue to convince people to vote. We can't give up! Both a high volume of votes and a high quality of write ups is important. Also keep posting things on Miiverse or tweeting to Nintendo, it all helps! Let's keep up the Kings wonderful presence we have going so far! Thank you fellow Kutthroats!

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Both debuted as unique characters so I don't really get the "ascended mook" thing.

In terms of design, though, K. Rool is way more visually distinct from the generic Kremlings than Bandana Dee is from regular Waddle Dees. Not that it matters when it comes to Smash, since we have Yoshi who has no defining characteristics or name, and actual generic characters like the Pokemon.

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
Just thought about something. What if K. Rool's FS was KAOS? K. Rool could hop offscreen and let the player control KAOS!

I still want the Kredits, though. It was just a thought.

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
I don't think we really need to compare Bee Dee and K. Rool. They're both great for different reasons.

Dee is great because he's a character who started as a bit part in a Superstar minigame, received a promotion to the King's right hand man the remake, and then single handedly inspired a new ability for Kirby just so he could be promoted to full PC. Really, the Spear ability has become his trademark, just as much as Hammer is Dedede's and Sword is Meta-Knight's. Add that to his continued roles in Rainbow Curse and Triple Deluxe, and you can see that he's filled a niche in the Kirby Canon that's not likely to leave any time soon. It's a classic underdog story, and he's really earned a shot at a spot on the roster, especially considering that he offers some great moveset potential that's yet to be tapped. (Dropping the ball, Fire Emblem!) Even more so, considering that he also has the potential to use other weapons and tools that his fellow Waddle Dees have used, like Parasols and vehicles.

K. Rool is a completely different kettle of fish, being a main villain with a huge role from the get-go. He actually underwent a bit of a reverse story to Dee, starting out strong and relevant, then slowly being relegated to bit parts as DK lost his luster, and not being brought on board when the revival happened. Of course, considering his runaway support, and the fact that he does have a strong history with the Kongs, all he needs is one big break to come back into his own as the rightful ruler of Kongo Bongo true villain of the DK series!

(Sorry the Dee paragraph is longer, but I felt I didn't need to tell the K. Rool thread why he's so great.)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

H8r

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
I remember the first time I came into this thread I mentioned how I watched "DK and the Legend of the Crystal Coconut" as a kid and thats why I wanted K Rool. (Even though I played DK Country) And I expected no one to know what it was.

But then I got about 10 replies, and they we're all "One Of Us". Lol good times.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Is that not exactly what K. Rool is? He's just an overweight Kremling with royal attire and a serious eye tick, and a nasty personality to boot. But like B.Dee, that's his appeal. At least to me. It's not like he's some crocodile like alien that came to DK Isle through a membrane to lead the Kremlings. He got to his spot through his skills alone. So by that stretch of the imagination K. Rool really is an ascended mook no different from B.Dee, but that's why I love him so much. There's no one like Dedede or Bowser in their respective universes, so K. Rool stands out on his own merits (and by gaining a glorious girth). The former two just exist, and always have without much reason as to how or why. K. Rool at least makes you think about how he beat out all the other competitors in his species to obtain his leading rank.
And Bowser's just an overweight Koopa wearing a spiked shell with serious bad breath, Ganondorf is an evil wizard(or whatever he is) who has an obsessive hunger for power.

Beating his own species is nothing, according to DK Vine's theory, These guys shown here are heros who actually tried beating K. Rool before Diddy and Dixie fought him, according to them, Mario came the closest (not really surprised) but was caught off guard by something(forget what they said it was) and that led to his fate.

I actually like that theory because it shows just how much of a bas@$$ villain K. Rool is.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ganon is just an oversized Moblin, nothing unique about him that makes him stand out from other Zelda enemies. :smirk:

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
And Bowser's just an overweight Koopa wearing a spiked shell with serious bad breath, Ganondorf is an evil wizard(or whatever he is) who has an obsessive hunger for power.

Beating his own species is nothing, according to DK Vine's theory, These guys shown here are heros who actually tried beating K. Rool before Diddy and Dixie fought him, according to them, Mario came the closest (not really surprised) but was caught off guard by something(forget what they said it was) and that led to his fate.

I actually like that theory because it shows just how much of a bas@$$ villain K. Rool is.
I took it more as they did beat K Rool, but just didn't find all the Coins. The ones who didn't beat K Rool (Sonic, Earthworm Jim, etc) are shown in the "No Hopers" bin.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I took it more as they did beat K Rool, but just didn't find all the Coins. The ones who didn't beat K Rool (Sonic, Earthworm Jim, etc) are shown in the "No Hopers" bin.
That makes sense too but if Yoshi, Mario and Link did beat K. Rool then I don't think Diddy and Dixie would've gone after him for DK then.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I always just took it as them being the "Hall of Fame" of video game heroes, since Diddy was trying to prove himself a worthy video game hero in his own right. :p

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
https://youtu.be/nSY1bY6GI3I?t=3m32s If you guys haven't seen it they did Diddy Kong some DIRECT dkc1 throwbacks for his super mario maker appearance costume. It's amazing.
I need to play this now... This actually is looking like a sort of dream come true!
K.Rool confirmed :4sonic: counter?

I'd pick him up just for that alone!

Last edited:

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
I need to play this now... This actually is looking like a sort of dream come true!

K.Rool confirmed :4sonic: counter?

I'd pick him up just for that alone!
I know right! The only obstacle between me and mario maker right now is the $60 price tag. It's also going to make me open my amiibos, T_T or open the bottoms... for how amazing Mario Maker looks so far though, the $60 so far looks 100% worth.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I know right! The only obstacle between me and mario maker right now is the $60 price tag. It's also going to make me open my amiibos, T_T or open the bottoms... for how amazing Mario Maker looks so far though, the $60 so far looks 100% worth.
I don't own a Wii U yet, don't they have Wii U + Mario Maker bundles?

Pakky

Smash Hero
I love the idea of Bandana Dee. Here's some DK/Smash questions for you all:

-If Smash were adapted into an anime loosely based on the story mode of Brawl, what role would King K. Rool play?

-Other than the kongs who else do you think King K Rool would have animosity towards?

-Say that a new DK were to come out tomorrow, would you like a revamped game in the style of DKC64, or to continue the style that the "Returns" series has?

SuperSmashSean

Smash Journeyman
The fact that the game is $60 really turns me off. I was so hyped since the beginning for this game, until the $60 price tag punched me in the gut. While the game seems more than worth it, it just seems weird paying that much for a level creator.

But... that mega man costume though... if only the game was less money...

Last edited:

TheSmasher916

Smash Journeyman
I love the idea of Bandana Dee. Here's some DK/Smash questions for you all:

-If Smash were adapted into an anime loosely based on the story mode of Brawl, what role would King K. Rool play?

-Other than the kongs who else do you think King K Rool would have animosity towards?

-Say that a new DK were to come out tomorrow, would you like a revamped game in the style of DKC64, or to continue the style that the "Returns" series has?
1. I feel like K. Rool would either be set on killing the kongs, or would work his way up with the other villains only to backstab them in the end.

2. Bowser definitely. Other than that it's tough. I guess he'd have a sort of "I respect you but still hate you" view about Ganondorf and/or Ridley.

3. Definitely DK64 style. I'm craving a new game in 3D

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
The fact that the game is $60 really turns me off. I was so hyped since the beginning for this game, until the $60 price tag punched me in the gut. While the game seems more than worth it, it just seems weird paying that much for a level creator.

But... that mega man costume though... if only the game was less money...
wish they used the original NES sprite.

Top Bottom