• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
Sorry but if Shovel Knight is revealed as a new dlc character for smash I will not be happy at all. It was bad enough that I felt no hype for almost every other new character after Mega Man's trailer with the likes of Greninja, Robin, Lucina(no offense FE fans), Wii Fit Trainer, Shulk, and DHD(though I can understand now) being revealed when ones such as K. Rool, Ridley, Waluigi(love him or hate him, he's more iconic than any of those guys), Samurai Goroh, Dixie Kong, and Capt. Syrup should've got in, heck even Toad would've been ok with me. Then we learn Dark Pit is in the game who's not only NOT a villain but has only been in one game for KI which was tje most recent one, Uprising.

I swear if K. Rool does'nt get in at all but SK does then I am done with SSB as long as Masterzero Suckerai is controlling the series. At least Retro Studios gives me hope.
No Wii Fit Trainer hype :(? But yeah I agree, when people say Mario has "too many reps" it annoys me to no end. Mario is the most iconic franchise in video games. Waluigi and Toad are more iconic than at least 75% of the characters in Smash. I have nothing against most of the characters , its just that they haven't earned the right to be in Smash yet like some other characters that have.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Apparently, not many people saw my post about what Yatch Club said about Smash. Let me show it again.

What do you think this implies now, huh?

Last edited:

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
If K. Rool doesn't make it into Smash 4, it'll be because of K. Rool "Fans" like you guys who weren't willing to go the extra mile. Guys like you who are willing to settle for less. Guys like you who are willing to waste your votes on nonsense characters that didn't deserve to have their own games, let alone be in Smash.

K. Rool being in would be because of people like me. People who are willing to go the extra mile and say things that need to be said. People who can get noticed. Sakurai noticed the Ridley fandom because they were loud, Ridley only didn't get in because Sakurai isn't a good enough developer to make him work for Smash. He said as much himself basically. But the Ridley fanbase was admirable, they knew how to get attention from game devs.

You K. Rool fans though? Playing nice with other fandoms, splitting your votes up to them, basically worshiping characters who don't deserve to suck the dust of the bottom of K Rool's grimy, scaly feet.

I'm willing to do what it takes. I'm willing to go the extra mile. I did a lot of shady things to get in as many K. Rool votes as I did. Made a lot of deals. Ran a lot of programs. I did all that because I care about the character and I care about the game. Demonize me if you want, but if you find yourself enjoying the character in the coming months it'll be because of guys like me. If you don't end up playing as him by then... well, you'll know who to blame.
You're starting to sound like Smart Krusha. "You're not ruthless and evil enough to be the villain, K. Rool!"

Morbi

Scavenger
If K. Rool doesn't make it into Smash 4, it'll be because of K. Rool "Fans" like you guys who weren't willing to go the extra mile. Guys like you who are willing to settle for less. Guys like you who are willing to waste your votes on nonsense characters that didn't deserve to have their own games, let alone be in Smash.

K. Rool being in would be because of people like me. People who are willing to go the extra mile and say things that need to be said. People who can get noticed. Sakurai noticed the Ridley fandom because they were loud, Ridley only didn't get in because Sakurai isn't a good enough developer to make him work for Smash. He said as much himself basically. But the Ridley fanbase was admirable, they knew how to get attention from game devs.

You K. Rool fans though? Playing nice with other fandoms, splitting your votes up to them, basically worshiping characters who don't deserve to suck the dust of the bottom of K Rool's grimy, scaly feet.

I'm willing to do what it takes. I'm willing to go the extra mile. I did a lot of shady things to get in as many K. Rool votes as I did. Made a lot of deals. Ran a lot of programs. I did all that because I care about the character and I care about the game. Demonize me if you want, but if you find yourself enjoying the character in the coming months it'll be because of guys like me. If you don't end up playing as him by then... well, you'll know who to blame.
To be clear, you are insinuating that King K. Rool will either get in the game based on the devotion of the few or not be in the game because of the many who also support other characters, correct?

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA

Wow. Just wow. So what? We want other characters that aren't K. Rool. Hell, K. Rool isn't even my top pick (that's my boi Ridley da real dragon, Other M Ridley is a clone and a poser) but I still support the hell out of him. There's a difference between being loud and being assholes. We don't want to be assholes, we want to be vocal.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Oh, okay then.

Now let us see how Tamaki talks his way out of this one.
That's why he bought up the "Next few months" card because in a few months some people will forget he said the Shovel Knight stuff which gives him time to go back and delete anything tied to it so it looks like he has a good record. He's done stuff like this in other instances where he's been wrong.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
That's why he bought up the "Next few months" card because in a few months some people will forget he said the Shovel Knight stuff which gives him time to go back and delete anything tied to it so it looks like he has a good record. He's done stuff like this in other instances where he's been wrong.
I saw that. Not surprised. The next few months won't work for him as well, especially since, as implied by Yatch Club, they have not added SK in Smash yet. Plus, even if Shovel Knight does get to be made for the game, it would be far after the time when Tamaki made this little rumor, which reduces its credibility. Sad, isn't it?

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Why can't we all just be like, "I don't mind Shovel Knight, but I wanted King K. Rool."

Simple and clean.

Fellow Kutthroats, If King K. Rool doesn't make it....its def not because of people like us.... King K's name is out there more than ever now, because of the huge amount of dedication to the character by people JUST LIKE US! It is extremely important to remember though, that Nintendo is the "CLAW". "CLAW" is the master. "CLAW" chooses who will go and who will stay..so just think about that. You guys are the best bunch of character supporters I know. Don't let ANYTHING and I mean anything...get you down, because then and only then will you have failed.

Get up. Press on. Keep going everyone.

This isn't over yet.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hey guys what's going on this thre.........
*reads posts*
......Oh dear.

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
You guys jump to conclusions way too fast.

I mean how do you know that Yacht Club isn't just trying to hide Shovel Knight by tweeting that?

This isn't the only example either. I see you guys learn one thing and instantly assume another thing so often.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
The entire Smash fanbase needs to get a grip. I'm one guy who doesn't like a LAME character, why does it reflect on the rest of you? We're all individuals here. I want K. Rool in the game first, but I wouldn't consider myself part of your fanbase. You people are soft.

If K. Rool doesn't make it in, it'd be because you guys didn't FIGHT hard enough. It'll be on you, and you'll have to live with that for the rest of your lives.
> says Smash fanbase needs to get a grip
> thinks not getting a character in a video game is something "to live with for the rest of our lives"

They're characters in a game. Regardless of which ones you prefer it isn't worth getting argumentative over.

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman
Trolling Infraction huh? *Sigh* I guess you guys just don't get it yet. When are you all going to take getting K. Rool in Smash seriously? I guess it'll take yet another Smash game without King K. Rool for you people to understand what the Ridley fanbase learned a long time ago. You have to be committed to get your character in Smash. You don't think the Shovel Knight fanbase is mobilizing?

Whatever. I'm done posting here. You don't need to say "don't respond to him" this time. I'm finished here. I'll continue to fight for K. Rool, but not with you. I'm what this fanbase deserves, but not what it needs right now. So I'll let you hate me, because I can take it. I'm not a hero. I'm a watchful fan, a silent voter, a Kutthroat.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
You guys jump to conclusions way too fast.

I mean how do you know that Yacht Club isn't just trying to hide Shovel Knight by tweeting that?

This isn't the only example either. I see you guys learn one thing and instantly assume another thing so often.
But that is also an assumption. It is extremely difficult to speculate without assumptions. That is sort of the point of speculation.

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
But that is also an assumption. It is extremely difficult to speculate without assumptions. That is sort of the point of speculation.
No it is not an assumption. It is my question to anyone who says "Yacht Club tweeted to vote for him, it must be fake."

It is more of a "what if"

Last edited:

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Trolling Infraction huh? *Sigh* I guess you guys just don't get it yet. When are you all going to take getting K. Rool in Smash seriously? I guess it'll take yet another Smash game without King K. Roll for you people to understand what the Ridley fanbase learned a long time ago. You have to be committed to get your character in Smash. You don't think the Shovel Knight fanbase is mobilizing?

Whatever. I'm done posting here. You don't need to say "don't respond to him" this time. I'm finished here. I'll continue to fight for K. Rool, but not with you. I'm what this fanbase deserves, but not what it needs right now. So I'll let you hate me, because I can take it. I'm not a hero. I'm a watchful fan, a silent voter, a Kutthroat.

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
Trollg Infraction huh? *Sigh* I guess you guys just don't get it yet. When are you all going to take getting K. Rool in Smash seriously? I guess it'll take yet another Smash game without King K. Rool for you people to understand what the Ridley fanbase learned a long time ago. You have to be committed to get your character in Smash. You don't think the Shovel Knight fanbase is mobilizing?

Remember, guys. The only way to get what you want is to take it from other people. "I like Evil, LOVELY evil, I like evil so much I could scream!~

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
So, what kind of voice do you think K. Rool will have in Smash?
Personally, I am hoping for a SNES-trilogy one (ANKH!) with some deeply voiced DK64-esque grunts thrown in (his butt stomping grunts and the YEAH, THANK YOU obviously)

Never were a fan of the cartoon voice (or the cartoon K Rool in general)

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Instead of being mad lets just keep moving foreword. Even if Shovel Knight does get in maybe Sakurai just likes the character or thinks the US wants him really badly. Either way K. Rool is top newcomer for US and Japan so I think we're ok.

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
Seeing as how the Kritters in Smash Run didn't get their "AUGH" noises, I guess it falls to K. Rool.

I wouldn't complain about a hammy take on him like the cartoon though.

Morbi

Scavenger
No it is not an assumption. It is my question to anyone who says "Yacht Club tweeted to vote for him, it must be fake."

It is more of a "what if"
There are hundreds if not thousands of possible "what if" scenarios. I fail to understand your point. What if they self-evaluated that possibility before they determined, based on whatever evidence they percieved, that their conclusion was reasonable? What if Occam's razor applies?

Last edited:

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
Personally, I am hoping for a SNES-trilogy one (ANKH!) with some deeply voiced DK64-esque grunts thrown in (his butt stomping grunts and the YEAH, THANK YOU obviously)

Cartoon voice is legendary

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
There are hundreds if not thousands of possible "what if" scenarios. I fail to understand your point. What if they self-evaluated that possibility before they determined, based on whatever evidence they percieved, that their conclusion was reasoanble? What if Occam's razor applies?
Yes you're right there are thousands of what ifs which is why people can't just call it fake until they have proof

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Why can't we all just be like, "I don't mind Shovel Knight, but I wanted King K. Rool."

Simple and clean.

Fellow Kutthroats, If King K. Rool doesn't make it....its def not because of people like us.... King K's name is out there more than ever now, because of the huge amount of dedication to the character by people JUST LIKE US! It is extremely important to remember though, that Nintendo is the "CLAW". "CLAW" is the master. "CLAW" chooses who will go and who will stay..so just think about that. You guys are the best bunch of character supporters I know. Don't let ANYTHING and I mean anything...get you down, because then and only then will you have failed.

Get up. Press on. Keep going everyone.

This isn't over yet.
Because some people legitimately don't want Shovel Knight. And the reason has nothing to do with K. Rool.

Seeing as how the Kritters in Smash Run didn't get their "AUGH" noises, I guess it falls to K. Rool.

I wouldn't complain about a hammy take on him like the cartoon though.
I'd prefer his DKC voice as well.

Morbi

Scavenger
Yes you're right there are thousands of what ifs which is why people can't just call it fake until they have proof
I doubt they are objectively claiming that it is fake. They are just stating what they believe to be the most likley based on their empirical knowledge. Regardless, I agree with your sentiment wholeheartedly.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Trollg Infraction huh? *Sigh* I guess you guys just don't get it yet. When are you all going to take getting K. Rool in Smash seriously? I guess it'll take yet another Smash game without King K. Rool for you people to understand what the Ridley fanbase learned a long time ago. You have to be committed to get your character in Smash. You don't think the Shovel Knight fanbase is mobilizing?

You sound like some cheezy Batman ripoff lol.

oinkers12

Smash Apprentice
I have calmed down a lot since the last time I posted and admittedly, I realized that this shouldn't bother me this much. Unless if Sakurai says "he's not good enough for Smash," K. Rool will probably get into a Smash game. K. Rool is an intricate character that they may not get to work by the time the team has to disband. And besides, imagine how much hype there would be if, in a Smash 5 trailer, King K. Rool was leading the charge?

I'm not saying that I don't want him for Smash 4, but, after seeing all of these comments raging about their choices, I figured out that I shouldn't be spending too much time worrying about this. Most likely this is a troll (seeing how much he disrespected one of the biggest speculation fanbases ever with Shrek of all things). I'm not going to put this on myself as a lot of stress and I don't think anyone else should, either. Even if Shovel Knight was announced there's still a great chance for the mighty King himself.

TL;DR: Keep supporting K. Rool and don't jump off ship. We've dealt with this aversion before and a random internet rumor about video game characters isn't bad enough to worry about.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Back, man did this thread explode since this morning.

I'm of mixed opinions. On one hand, without this fanbase's passion, we wouldn't be topping fan polls left and right, not to mention the ballot itself. Passion is a good thing, even if just for "characters in a game." On the other hand, we have to channel that passion toward K. Rool support and productive discussion, not overt attacks. Of course, productive discussion is not all just worshipping the developers on bended knee for releasing for-profit content supposedly tailored toward fans. Like @ toadster101 toadster101 said, we can criticize, but let's make it more substantive than just "BAWWW I HATE SK."

This thing seems dead, but it's not as though something equally troubling couldn't cause a relapse. Let's use this as a learning experience for if that ever happens.

Also, a silver lining for a potential SK reveal: all the people claiming "LOL CASUALS" would have to majorly eat their words after receiving a character unknown to an entire -region-, let alone a subset of the game's buyers.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Yeah, I think we're in the clear for now, in terms of flared tempers.

We've weathered tougher storms than this. We'll be fine.

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman
God damn, it is so easy to take a false bull**** rumor like this out of proportion. Man, what one would do for a quick laugh and a few minutes of fame. Its like shaking a hornets nest, or in this case, a zingers nest.

Anyway, If K. Rool gets in, I'm thinking new stage(s). What do you think? Gangplank Galleon? The Flying Krock? My vote goes to Crocodile Rock. That place looks so cool, imagine that island in HD.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Well I'm actually glad that I hadn't access to internet since many hours ago.

If Shovel Knight actually gets into Smash it's definitely a character I'm not buying. I don't want to "bash this character to make me feel better about mine's chances", I just find it to be a legitimately extremely questionable choice.

Super Smash Bros. is an amazing tool to give some series more exposure, confirm them as worthy of being among Nintendo's flagship series, and make some characters establish themselves as Nintendo all-stars, and there's nothing wrong with that. Third-party characters, on the other hand, are a whole different thing; as long as my roster choices philosophy evolved over time I've actually become more and more protective about the idea of more third-party characters in Smash, even at the cost of my support for Rayman, one of my childhood heroes. By definition, third-parties break Smash's thematic coherence, but their legacy, iconicness and historical influence may still make them exceptional worthy picks and something special first-party characters couldn't emulate.

What bugs me with Shovel Knight is that he's nowhere near this caliber. I mean sure, his game has been pretty well received and did create some craze, but calling it Smash worthy right now is way too premature, there's no way in my mind he's already established as an historically highly influent character. I suppose he could become one at some point the future if he maintains this momentum, but if I want third-party characters to be playable in Smash I want them to be characters who've already and clearly proven themselves, not characters who want to make sure they get enough exposure and don't lose momentum. I don't care about any amount of "moveset potential" or anything, if third-parties happen to be able to become playable in Smash without feeling like they have important and clear historical influence on Nintendo (and gaming as a whole to an extent) and overall feel like they were put for the sake of it rather than truly feeling like deserving choices, there's a risk that the Smash Bros. series will lose its appeal as a giant crossover with a thematic coherence centered around Nintendo, and I'm certain that Shovel Knight would create a trend rather than being an exceptionally exceptional exception, otherwise we would only have Snake and not Sonic in Brawl. If anything characters like him I think are perfect side contents material like a trophy or something, but they're not playable material imo.

To be honest if Shovel Knight got in it would open way too many floodgates for me to be comfortable with, which I think would make me quit Smash speculation forever. I tried to feel the most civil possible in my explanations rather than just bashing Shovel Knight and explain how King K. Rool is much more deserving (like I feel other people did, I won't mention any name here), but I won't jump on conclusions so quickly and have a lot of faith in this being only a mere rumor. I only wrote this as part of a "what if?" situation.

Morbi

Scavenger
It is not as though I actually want Shovel Knight, but perhaps I do not understand this rumor properly. Does it exclude King K. Rool or something? I do not believe that these two characters are mutually exclusive.

Waterwraith

Smash Cadet
I've followed this thread and threads for the other popular characters for a while now, but I've never actually felt compelled to post in here now. I feel like some clarification is in order regarding Shovel Knight, since people seem to want to go out of their way to discredit him in thsi thread with any reasoning they can think of, even if it doesn't really make any sense.

People say Shovel Knight isn't "Iconic enough." or doesn't have the legacy or relationship with Nintendo to be in Smash, which would have been a fair assessment like 7 years ago when Brawl came out. The reason there are so many rules in regards to who gets into Smash is because the developers need guidelines for who to consider with their limited development time. They need to make the most of their time and make a Roster full of both characters people love and characters that will surprise them. They need to do the best they can with the time they have.

But with Smash 4, the game has changed, so to speak. A majority of the newcomers are characters from relatively recent games and franchises instead of how it was before. It's only natural and it makes sense. Brawl covered pretty much every popular Nintendo franchise in some way with the exception of maybe Animal Crossing, which was immediately fixed in the next game. Say what you will about the game, but the roster was excellent, all things considered. There was something for everyone in there.
Smash 4 has a shift in focus to cover new or less recognized games and franchises, to the point where Greninja was pulled from unfinished concept art just so they could have him ready for the game. This makes a lot of sense to me. I'm glad Nintendo is finally showing more support for their newer/lesser known games and IPs. Somebody like Shulk wouldn't have made Brawl.

You also have to consider that DLC eliminates a lot of the limitations that came before when trying to develop previous games. They don't have to worry about a deadline anymore, which opens up more possibilities for who they can consider. Roy isn't a character you'd worry about including in the base game, but as DLC? why the hell not. He's easy enough to make and the fans will like it. DLC opens up the door more than you make think. The rules that applied when composing the roster for previous Smash games don't apply anymore. They can go wild since they have lots of time to do whatever, and I hope they take advantage of that and go with some crazy choices.

Combine all this with the fact that the ballot very clearly openly welcomes ANY video game character, not just Nintendo, and I think Shovel Knight makes a lot of sense. I can't think of many other indie games that have been such a huge hit. It'll build Shovel Knight up as a franchise, open the door for indies all over, and strengthen Nintendo and Yatche club's relationship.

It's also pretty blatant that he's popular and wanted for the game. The "he's just a fad" complaint never made any sense to me. It implies indie games are lesser games, and Shovel Knight's status as a hit and cameo spots in so many other games doesn't mean anything. It underplays Yacht Club's accomplishments, and it feels like a complaint one of K Rool's own detractors would come up with. Every big indie game has been fondly remembered for years by gamers, so I don't see how Shovel Knight would be different.

Besides, Sakurai has been breaking all the "rules" the fandom seems to have come up with on who can and cant get into smash since the game was announced. I honestly don't think they apply much anymore as most of them are broken by one character or another.

Now, in regards to K Rool himself's chances, I was pretty sure before that he had a good chance, considering all the people voting for him, but when thinking all of this stuff over, now I think it depends purely on whether or not he has a future in the Donkey Kong franchise or not. Smash 4 seems to prioritize new characters over old favorites, which, as I said before is very much a good thing, but if King K Rool has no future in the Donkey Kong franchise while Nintendo continues to look forward and open up the door a bit more, he may be left in the dust. We'll have to see what happens with Donkey Kong from here, but I get the feeling the only way he'd make it into Smash 4 is if Retro is working on something with him in it.

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
Well I'm actually glad that I hadn't access to internet since many hours ago.

If Shovel Knight actually gets into Smash it's definitely a character I'm not buying. I don't want to "bash this character to make me feel better about mine's chances", I just find it to be a legitimately extremely questionable choice.

Super Smash Bros. is an amazing tool to give some series more exposure, confirm them as worthy of being among Nintendo's flagship series, and make some characters establish themselves as Nintendo all-stars, and there's nothing wrong with that. Third-party characters, on the other hand, are a whole different thing; as long as my roster choices philosophy evolved over time I've actually become more and more protective about the idea of more third-party characters in Smash, even at the cost of my support for Rayman, one of my childhood heroes. By definition, third-parties break Smash's thematic coherence, but their legacy, iconicness and historical influence may still make them exceptional worthy picks and something special first-party characters couldn't emulate.

What bugs me with Shovel Knight is that he's nowhere near this caliber. I mean sure, his game has been pretty well received and did create some craze, but calling it Smash worthy right now is way too premature, there's no way in my mind he's already established as an historically highly influent character. I suppose he could become one at some point the future if he maintains this momentum, but if I want third-party characters to be playable in Smash I want them to be characters who've already and clearly proven themselves, not characters who want to make sure they get enough exposure and don't lose momentum. I don't care about any amount of "moveset potential" or anything, if third-parties happen to be able to become playable in Smash without feeling like they have important and clear historical influence on Nintendo (and gaming as a whole to an extent) and overall feel like they were put for the sake of it rather than truly feeling like deserving choices, there's a risk that the Smash Bros. series will lose its appeal as a giant crossover with a thematic coherence centered around Nintendo, and I'm certain that Shovel Knight would create a trend rather than being an exceptionally exceptional exception, otherwise we would only have Snake and not Sonic in Brawl. If anything characters like him I think are perfect side contents material like a trophy or something, but they're not playable material imo.

To be honest if Shovel Knight got in it would open way too many floodgates for me to be comfortable with, which I think would make me quit Smash speculation forever. I tried to feel the most civil possible in my explanations rather than just bashing Shovel Knight and explain how King K. Rool is much more deserving (like I feel other people did, I won't mention any name here), but I won't jump on conclusions so quickly and have a lot of faith in this being only a mere rumor. I only wrote this as part of a "what if?" situation.
The thing I don't like about Shovel Knight and Shantae is that if they were to be added, it would feel more like Smash advertising them, rather than a tribute to them (like the other 3rd parties)

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
It is not as though I actually want Shovel Knight, but perhaps I do not understand this rumor properly. Does it exclude King K. Rool or something? I do not believe that these two characters are mutually exclusive.
I believe the general idea is that if Sakurai is adding Shovel Knight he is so incompetent he couldn't possibly add King K. Rool.
I don't agree with it, myself.

Top Bottom