• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
You know, if you didn't forget to quote the actual post and you realized K. Rool has actual wording in Japan and not just "k. rool", you would've bought me for 5 more seconds :drshrug:
Sorry for this my friend, but in the same time, i really don't want to caught you in this bad joke.it was my intention! :(

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Sorry for this my friend, but in the same time, i really don't want to caught you in this bad joke.it was my intention! :(
Try that tomfoolery again an' ye be walkin' the plank.
I heard the Sharks've been quite hungry since 1995, see?

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
So I've been thinking about a new Mario Strikers game for the NX (I think the ship has sailed on the Wii U) and I'm trying to think of potential newcomers to a hypothetical NX sequel. Charged received Bowser, Petey Piranha, Diddy Kong, and Bowser Jr. as new captains and several newcomer sidekicks.

When thinking of characters for this game, the Captain roster is quite smaller because many other iconic Mario characters become Sidekicks. Basically with the exception of Yoshi, any character that is a member of a species is usually relegated to a sidekick like Hammer Bros, Koopas, and Toads. So I'm actually struggling to think of characters to add at this point.

For Captains, the immediate first ones that come to mind are Dixie Kong, King K. Rool and Rosalina. King Boo is a good choice too, though he'd essentially just a bigger version of the sidekick Boo with a megastrike. But I can hardly think of new sidekicks...Lumas for one, because of a captain Rosalina. We already have Kritters as goalies so I can't think of a new Kremling sidekick.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I like this analysis, but I think there's another wrinkle to throw in...vote percentage. There are going to be millions of votes cast by the time this is done, and yet the top characters probably won't have more than tens of thousands of votes. No matter what, the vast majority of fans won't be upset if the top characters aren't chosen and favorites are played instead, knowledge that very well may be used to justify playing favorites. Hopefully this doesn't happen...if Sakurai didn't go out and talk about fan service," it would be so much easier to take disappointment this time around.
I don't think you realize just how small the voting audience is.

The ballot was advertised in one Direct, and a couple Tweets. That's it.

Do you know how small a target that reaches? Just yesterday, I met a GameStop employee who (despite liking Smash and especially Lucas) didn't even know the ballot existed.

The Directs aren't watched by casuals. They're watched by fans. They're watched by the dedicated audience. If you're a kid who picks up the game, you'll see advertisements for DLC characters like Roy and Mewtwo. But you won't see an advertisement for the ballot, because it isn't advertised or pushed that way.

The casual vote is being massively overestimated here.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Do you know how small a target that reaches? Just yesterday, I met a GameStop employee who (despite liking Smash and especially Lucas) didn't even know the ballot existed.

The Directs aren't watched by casuals. They're watched by fans. They're watched by the dedicated audience. If you're a kid who picks up the game, you'll see advertisements for DLC characters like Roy and Mewtwo. But you won't see an advertisement for the ballot, because it isn't advertised or pushed that way.

Agreed on this. The casuals will buy anyone they think is cool. This ballot is targeted more for the fans that are interested in actually seeing what characters will be in the game. Its directly targeted at the hardcore online crowd who check for all kinds of news and updates.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

Exactly

Which is why most of the voters are fans not casuals

So significantly less votes than people think.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

Absolutely, the fear of "casuals aren't voting for K. Rool and Isaac so we can't predict anything" is silly. No casual I know was aware of the ballot before I got them to #KrocTheVote. Heck, does anyone legitimately think they were catering to casuals with the likes of Mega Man, Little Mac and Shulk in the main game? That's just ridiculous.

But the number of places fans have spread word of the ballot online (gaming publications, YouTube videos, social media), combined with vote spammers and external companies lobbying for non-Smash fans to vote for their character will lead to there being a massive number of votes in the final tally anyway. We can't get a majority, so we have to aim for as large a plurality as possible and hope Sakurai likes our character.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
@ Skyblade12 Skyblade12 makes a good point about the way the Smash Ballot has been advertised (or not). The supposed silent casual contingent sometimes seems like a subconscious rhetorical strategy by fans who want to "level the playing field" against the characters doing well on forum polls. Of course, the criticism seems to avoid thinking about how well the characters who cannot even perform well on forum polls are doing....

It's reasonable to think that there are voters in the ballot who are not being captured by the forum surveys.
It's unreasonable to think that their votes will be decisive or will change the ultimate results that much from the results of forum surveys as a whole.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
Every time someone brings up the 'casual audience' in terms of the ballot voting process, it's almost always directly against K. Rool (and at one time Ridley). As if he's the only one with a hardcore fan-base, you know, besides the majority of other top contenders like Isaac and Bandana Dee, and even then the hardcore fan-bases are usually discredited as carrying no influence whatsoever because they "make up the minority".

It doesn't have to be so black-and-white between 'casual' and 'hardcore' audiences, it's only in the dedication of what they do. There can be some overlap.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Every time someone brings up the 'casual audience' in terms of the ballot voting process, it's almost always directly against K. Rool (and at one time Ridley). As if he's the only one with a hardcore fan-base, you know, besides the majority of other top contenders like Isaac and Bandana Dee, and even then the hardcore fan-bases are usually discredited as carrying no influence whatsoever because they "make up the minority".

It doesn't have to be so black-and-white between 'casual' and 'hardcore' audiences, it's only in the dedication of what they do. There can be some overlap.
Isaac is another one commonly referred to with the casual audience argument.

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman

Most of the casual audience isn't going to shell out more money on DLC anyway.

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
K. Rool needs a proper way to distinguish himself from the rest of the cast.
a good Heavy with munitions , THAT'S my dream!

So what are some Concept ideas?
Ferocious Speedster?
Tricky Heavyweight?
Using is blunderbuss alot, able to Change munitions types in game|!
a heavy with munition playstyle is my dream!

( powerful spike one, fast normal one )
*Possibility to "curse" movement at the opponent ( Slow movement, reverse movement)
( from wiki : the blue gas freezes them, the red gas makes the Kongs move slowly, and the purple gas reverses the game's controls.)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Remember the hypothetical K.Rool trailer that i posted earlier?

I forgot to mention first thing that i want to happen (and SHOULD happen) in his trailer:

King K. Rool punches Mii K.Rool in the face. (just like how Roy attacks Roy Koopa in his trailer)

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
Remember the hypothetical K.Rool trailer that i posted earlier?

I forgot to mention first thing that i want to happen (and SHOULD happen) in his trailer:

King K. Rool punches Mii K.Rool in the face. (just like how Roy attacks Roy Koopa in his trailer)
i can see Mii K.ROOL puncing some monkeys ( DK and Diddy )
and THEN. Our king make a komeback and kick mii k.rool 'ass ! :D

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I'd love if they did a little scheme where they start the trailer off with the King K. Rool Mii losing against 2 Monkey Suit Miis in Omega Battlefield, and then it slowly-but-surely transitions into Omega Jungle Hijinx where DK and Diddy are losing to Real King K.

That'd be a Sakurai thing to do, no? :drshrug:

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
To think of it remember when we were kids and news got out but no one knew exactly where it came from? For instance when a new pokemon game were on the way *ruby / sapphire* in 2003 everyone knew about it but didn't get that DIRECT ADVERTISEMENT up til right before the game released. This is relate-able to the ballot in that only a minority are AWARE and make use of the ballot because we got the direct source *the nintendo direct.* A lot of kids play smash bros. too so just in the same the majority of smashers definitely don't actively acknowledge the ballot nor have used it.
:251:
@ Skyblade12 Skyblade12 Good thesis and explanation on this mysteriously large "casual voting audience."

StormC

Smash Hero
Yeah, the whole fearmongering of the Casual Boogeyman is just ridiculous. Ignoring how unlikely it is for the vast majority of casual fans to actually hear about the ballot, who are they voting for? Mario characters? Pokemon? Master Chief? Who is the champion of the casuals? If they aren't focusing their efforts on 5 characters or so, they aren't going to create enough of a stir. The Wii U install base (the system attracting most of the casual players) is also too small for it to be likely that there's a lot of little kids voting for, oh, I don't know, Toad, Waluigi, Daisy, and so on.

Like people said, it's only characters like K. Rool and Isaac who get the "casual vote" counterargument. You don't hear this when people talk about Impa or Bomberman.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Why people believe that casuals are voting for everything sans popular characters like K.Rool or Isaac?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
And, my personal favourite:

:4ryu: would be a clone of :4littlemac:

(Source)

Difference between King K. Rool and Goku. KING K. ROOL IS ACTUALLY OWNED BY NINTENDO! ANYONE WHO IS OWNED BY NINTENDO IS AT A DIFFERENT LEVEL THAN THIRD PARTIES!
More importantly, Sakurai has made it clear that he doesn't want TV stuff in Smash - a video game crossover title. Whilst he threatened not to use Pac-Man if the Ghostly Adventures design was a requirement on Namco's part, I suspect that people are wrong to think that it's because the design is disliked (indeed it is by some, but they're a loud minority considering the popularity of its point of origin) - more likely it's because that design was created for a television show.

I can easily imagine this. In fact, if we do get King K. Rool as a DLC fighter, I outright expect it, just because similar was done both in Roy's trailer, and in the case of the post-Mii-mask-reveal Meta Knight Pic of the Day, way back when. :laugh:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

To keep this thread going:
I know it's not exactly K.Rool related, but at least it's DKC related.

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
Anybody who doesn't think that "Reklaims his Krown" is the best line for his splash art is in denial.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I'd really like it if they used Krocs the Vote!

Would just be a very nice nod in my eyes.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Anybody who doesn't think that "Reklaims his Krown" is the best line for his splash art is in denial.
I'll admit, Reclaims his Krown isn't that bad. I STILL prefer "Krushes the Kompetition," especially if K. Rool is the highest ranked ballot character, because it would be too fitting.

Has his Finest Hour
I think "Its his Finest Hour!" should be the trailer name, but I don't think its clever enough for his tagline.

This is seriously not the right way to go about asking for King K. Rool.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/72272053
The Kampaign tends to tag Sakurai in a lot of K. Rool related things, but we're not repeatedly doing the same thing. I don't think the Kampaign has ever gotten banned from Sakurai's twitter. Then again, I don't know how you know you got banned by someone on twitter or not.

Top Bottom