• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

KawaiiPiranha

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai has shown such ignorance over Donkey Kong it honestly wouldn't surprise me if he sees K. Rool as being too big.
I was thinking the other day-
Wouldn't it have been cool if instead of Gogoat, we got Rambi?
He would have functioned identically to gogat, but he would have been either an assist trophy or his own item.

There are so many great potential assist trophies and items from the DK universe that are just completely ignored. Sometimes I wonder if Sakurai has even played a Donkey Kong game past the original arcade game.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I'd just like to go on record saying that I really dislike mii fighters as a whole, completely ignoring the K.Rool costume.
Way too many resources and far too much time has been spent on them.

All the development time that was spent creating 3 separate Mii character classes, all of their custom moves, and all of their costumes could have been spent improving other areas of the game.

Custom fighters in fighting games aren't inherently bad, but I feel like the way they were executed in Smash was a huge waste of time. Nobody bothers playing as them because they can't be used online, and the costumes they're being given are cheap ways to "include characters" that didn't make it onto the roster.

I feel like the entire customization aspect of Smash 4 is really un-needed. It was a nice attempt to do something new, but I really won't miss custom moves/parts if they don't return in future Smash games.
That's the thing. They're so boring. They have super generic moves and no amount of "lol Reggie is fighting!" can make up for being so dull. A singular Mii would have been fine, but for some reason, it had to spread out over three archetypes, which took up that much more time.

Don't even get me started on trying to make a Mii version of a character you wanted. I could go on for hours about how it doesn't work.

KawaiiPiranha

Smash Journeyman
That's the thing. They're so boring. They have super generic moves and no amount of "lol Reggie is fighting!" can make up for being so dull. A singular Mii would have been fine, but for some reason, it had to spread out over three archetypes, which took up that much more time.

Don't even get me started on trying to make a Mii version of a character you wanted. I could go on for hours about how it doesn't work.
Exactly.
I honestly like their inclusion as this game's "fighting polygon team". That's all they needed to be.

Either that, or they could have just made a single "mii" character that uses your profile's mii and based the moveset after all of the various "wii" games like Wii Music, Wii Sports, Wii Party, etc.

Last edited:

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
I like how the costume uses a much darker shade of green instead of the bright green that stuff like the Paon design or the Smashified pic use. A pretty small detail, but just something that makes him look a bit less "generic Nintendo character"

King_K_Rules

Smash Journeyman
Why address anything about the ballot two months before it ends? And why regulate one of the top requested newcomers to a Mii costume?

Last edited:

KawaiiPiranha

Smash Journeyman
Why address anything about the ballot two months before it ends? And why regulate one of the top requested newcomers a Mii costume?
That's the really confusing thing-
Whether he wins the ballot or not, K.Rool IS one of the most requested characters.

Revealing him as a costume two months before the ballot ends is just confusing. Now everyone is stuck thinking "so does this mean he isn't in? should we vote for someone else?"

Even if all he is going to end up being is a costume, it's dumb to show it off before the ballot ends.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'm conflicted on the merit of the "they wouldn't spoil him by showing the costume first" argument.

Because of how far a cry a soulless Mii costume with a generic moveset is from the real deal, there's still so much to reveal with the actual character, just like with Inkling. It's not as though they'd be spoiled by their costume, either, although K. Rool's is way more out of the blue.

Maybe this is stupidly elaborate, but there could also be the idea that the character is so "spoiled" by the countless ballots and publicity he's getting that doubt needs to be raised to get people hyped again.

Last edited:

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
I don't understand why they'd "deconfirm" K. Rool so prematurely while they leave the door open for literally every other popular ballot request. That would be extraordinarily unfair. Like @ BKupa666 BKupa666 said, either they legitimately hate the character or he is indeed on his way, and this is just a small taste of what's to come. Either way, this costume is going to deter some people from voting for the king, and that's not right. I demand answers. Why is he of all characters being singled out when I'm sure plenty of fan favorites are doing far worse in the ballot than he is? None of this makes any sense, so I don't blame you guys for being in shock. We need clarity.

The only way they're going to placate the K. Rool fanbase is by adding him as a playable character. This a dumb compromise, and Sakurai knows it. So either he despises the character or this costume has nothing to do with the ballot. There is no way they looked at the poll results and said to themselves "look how popular K. Rool is, let's turn him into a Mii costume even though the ballot isn't over" unless they have some preexisting bias against the character, which is possible, but the optimist in me would like to believe otherwise. They could have slapped together a costume using his existing trophy model instead of faithfully recreating his Rare design which fans have been clamoring for. Would they really go through so much effort for a character they dislike? I... don't know what to think.

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Despite popular belief, though, the top spot on the ballot is likely quite contested. Despite the support threads on here being dramatically in K. Rools favor, the Wolf support across the internet is most likely even stronger.

We don't even know how Nintendo is handling the ballot. Who's to say they aren't waiting till October 3rd to see who won?
Hence why I said "big names." No one can say for sure who the number one spot is, but I don't think it really matters as long as K. Rool is within the top "group." Unless they've said otherwise, I don't think they really care who technically "won." I suspect they'll be looking among the top group and seeing who they think they can make work. Sure, there will probably be a greater emphasis on those top few, but I think the decision is balanced more in their hands rather than ours.
I there is a very strong chance K. Rool is not #1 exactly, and I wouldn't stress that much about it. I don't know how big that arbitrary "top group" is, but I think K. Rool is most assuredly in it.

Not to say we should relax, especially given the costume. Emphasis should be added that we want an actual playable character, as others have said.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
I swear to god, if this is the only thing we will get of KKR and the DK-Franchise in general, a freaking Mii costume, I'm done with the whole SSB Series. Sorry, I'm done! How much longer do we have to wait for a character that should have be all ready in Melee?

I'm sorry, to say that but Sakurai can not just do this to us. If KKR can not get in for good and also the Inklings can not get in either, who the hell than? I mean their is really not much left and Nintendo Fans do not really think outside the box and will probbalby choose something unoriginal like Daisy as a Peach clone, or another Pokémon or some other minor character of the Mario franchise because they can not come up with something more original.

Also If KKR and the Inklings are now out of the picture, who the **** can win the ballot now? Those are the only characters I could see winning the ballot.
i'm with you there. if this is all we're getting i'm done, i'm just done. screw smash speculation and smash 5 maybe having a good new villian. i won't be ****** around again. honestly this is even worse than arksys teasin awesome new characters for blazblue in the story who are said to be excellent fighters and then intentionally going for generic looking nobodies. "oh hey, you know jubei that cat with a sword whom we keep going on about how strong he is in the story but you never actually see fight? well you're getting literally anyone else. yes even that person from a non-canon manga spinoff"

Last edited:

KawaiiPiranha

Smash Journeyman
I don't understand why they'd "deconfirm" K. Rool so prematurely while they leave the door open for literally every other popular ballot request. That would be extraordinarily unfair. Like @ BKupa666 BKupa666 said, either they legitimately hate the character or he is indeed on his way, and this is just a small taste of what's to come. Either way, this costume is going to deter some people from voting for the king, and that's not right.
That's exactly what I think. It's just sort of unfair to do this to one of the most popular ballot choices. It puts him at a disadvantage because now people are going to think that it's pointless to vote for him.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Oh shut up Eitika, you laugh at the King K Rool people but sing a sad song for Lloyd, which is still the mayor of whoville if you ask me.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
^seriously? i mean, get real.. lioyd was kind of a nobody compared to most other wanted characters and wasn't even very highly requested to be honest. it's honestly kind of miraculous that tales of got ANY references at all, all things considered.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Etika does feel bad for the fans, look further into the video.

I'm conflicted on the merit of the "they wouldn't spoil him by showing the costume first" argument.

Because of how far a cry a soulless Mii costume with a generic moveset is from the real deal, there's still so much to reveal with the actual character, just like with Inkling. It's not as though they'd be spoiled by their costume, either, although K. Rool's is way more out of the blue.

Maybe this is stupidly elaborate, but there could also be the idea that the character is so "spoiled" by the countless ballots and publicity he's getting that doubt needs to be raised to get people hyped again.
Didn't people theorize this with Ridley too?
I feel like that's jumping the gun.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I know I'm gonna sound like a needle scratching on a vintage vinyl at this stage, but if this were any other character but K. Rool, I'd say, "Fair enough, GG."

Hell, if it was Wonder Red, my most-wanted character, I'd say, "Yeah, that's about as much as I had any right to expect."

If it was Ridley, I'd say, "Wow, that's more than I had hoped for!"

If it was Lloyd Irving (if you will), I'd say, "Hey, that's a nice surprise!"

With K. Rool, all I can say is, "Why?"

Why now, all of a sudden, after over half a decade's absence?

Why this ancient - fan favourite, do recall! - design that hasn't been witnessed since the days of old?

Why two months before the ballot's scheduled to close?

Why a character that's been among the most-requested in the entire world for over a decade?

Why?

I don't know.

I'm very confused.

I just hope we get answers.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
@ toadster101 toadster101 is right, just with a third option involved that's relevant to us...they hate the character and don't care how many votes he could get before October 3rd, they're already adding him and this costume is to milk his popularity, OR the costume is its own thing from before the ballot was used for characters.

The possibility of the latter scenario is swaying me toward changing the thread title back to encouraging people to just get out the vote as usual, selling people who have yet to vote on K. Rool. Enough people will write in that they want the character as a fighter and not a costume anyway.

The Ridley thing was indeed a tease, just for something else. That's another difference...Ridley's situation was whether he was in Role A or B, with his presence guaranteed as one or the other. K. Rool's is whether he can be anything more than Role A.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
^seriously? i mean, get real.. lioyd was kind of a nobody compared to most other wanted characters and wasn't even very highly requested to be honest. it's honestly kind of miraculous that tales of got ANY references at all, all things considered.
I didn't know he was even that requested. That's why I liked seeing his costume - it was a surprise.

Last edited:

KawaiiPiranha

Smash Journeyman
I know I'm gonna sound like a needle scratching on a vintage vinyl at this stage, but if this were any other character but K. Rool, I'd say, "Fair enough, GG."

Hell, if it was Wonder Red, my most-wanted character, I'd say, "Yeah, that's about as much as I had any right to expect."

If it was Ridley, I'd say, "Wow, that's more than I had hoped for!"

If it was Lloyd Irving (if you will), I'd say, "Hey, that's a nice surprise!"

With K. Rool, all I can say is, "Why?"

Why now, all of a sudden, after over half a decade's absence?

Why this ancient - fan favourite, do recall! - design that hasn't been witnessed since the days of old?

Why two months before the ballot's scheduled to close?

Why a character that's been among the most-requested in the entire world for over a decade?

Why?

I don't know.

I'm very confused.

I just hope we get answers.
It's for this very reason that I'm optimistic. I think the costume is ripped from his actual fighter model. If it were any other character, I'd say that this is a deconfirmation, but there are too many strange things about this costume.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
The possibility of the latter scenario is swaying me toward changing the thread title back to encouraging people to just get out the vote as usual, selling people who have yet to vote on K. Rool. Enough people will write in that they want the character as a fighter and not a costume anyway.
I think that would be a wise decision.

It's up to you to decide, Mon Kapitain, but I reckon that'd be the most pragmatic approach right now.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Well there's still one Rare Bear in the running
It isn't Rare Bare
But an Instrument will do
As long as it isn't in a LEGO Car
There's only a few problems with that, Microsoft and Nintendo don't really see each other eye to eye. Then there's the issue of Micro getting the most money out of Ninty advertising their character in Smash.

It sucks being a K. Rool fan and Banjo fan. :urg:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Etika does feel bad for the fans, look further into the video.
Etika is an unintentional ****. It's just who he is. You can tell he was smug throughout the entire K. Rool video he made. It's not his fault he's just like that.

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
Etika is an unintentional ****. It's just who he is. You can tell he was smug throughout the entire K. Rool video he made. It's not his fault he's just like that.
I've come to realize that any "big youtuber" perspectives are usually biased, OR completely generic, as in Etika/GameXplain's situation they immediately said "king k. Rip" after the costume was shown. I love etika and gamexplain as youtubers/info/reaction channels but their opinions are exactly as they seem. Opinionated.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
The more I think about it and the more I read into these comments pointing out the absurdity of this costume, the more confident I am those textures were taken from an existing K. Rool model in the game already. I believe we will eventually get a Mewtwo style reveal with K. Rool, if not on Friday then somewhere later down the line after Wolf's trailer.

This shouldn't be making me even -more- optimistic about the King's chances but you'd be wrong.

Also, it's interesting because Chrom and Lloyd's Mii faces tried to reflect their character as much as possible, while the K. Rool face just used an existing Mii from elsewhere (albiet one with a **** eating grin). The description made it sound like "This is how Chrom is getting into the game" and "Dress up as the Kremling King!" taking note that the latter is not meant to somehow say the King is in the game, just that you get to dress up as him.

Are there any straws left to grasp? Let's find out...

Pakky

Smash Hero
Its still rude. Also I'm hella salty from the DLC thread, people telling me about this Lloyd dude and when I bring up Dig Dug everyone is like "who?" but anyway back to K Rool.

Yeah, the classic version is going to be used for the game. Why in the world would they go through the trouble of making something that is K rool related and actually has a normal bump map to something that by comparison looks terrible.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
The thing that makes me suspicious of option one is the design. Imagine:

Namco Guy: "K. Rool's getting a ton of votes!"

Sakurai: "WTF! Why are they voting for Crocodile Bowser and not Darker Pit?? I'll never add that PoS character into Smash as long as I live. Now go faithfully and beautifully recreate the 15-year-old design his fans love as a costume and call it a day."

Namco Guy: "Right away, your highness."

Last edited:

KawaiiPiranha

Smash Journeyman
Its still rude. Also I'm hella salty from the DLC thread, people telling me about this Lloyd dude and when I bring up Dig Dug everyone is like "who?" but anyway back to K Rool.

Yeah, the classic version is going to be used for the game. Why in the world would they go through the trouble of making something that is K rool related and actually has a normal bump map to something that by comparison looks terrible.
The whole thing kinda reminds me of the Pac-Man thing.
Remember that recent interview where Sakurai said that if he had to use Pac-Man's modern design he wasn't going to include him?

If Sakurai includes K.Rool as a fighter, I'd almost guarantee that he'd want to go with K.Rool's famous classic look as opposed to the chubby Mario-villain version.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
I've come to realize that any "big youtuber" perspectives are usually biased, OR completely generic, as in Etika/GameXplain's situation they immediately said "king k. Rip" after the costume was shown. I love etika and gamexplain as youtubers/info/reaction channels but their opinions are exactly as they seem. Opinionated.
GameXplain said in their discussion that they don't think this disconfirms K. Rool at all.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Etika?

....I may have been living under a rock but I've never heard of this guy before.
He's a Youtuber who covers a lot of Nintendo stuff. He's OK but he's very biased to things he likes and a bit of a ***** to everything else. He's a pretty hype reactionist, though, that's for damn sure.

If you want reactions go to Etika's channel, if you want news it's better to hit up GameXplain or somewhere else other than his channel.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
He's a Youtuber who covers a lot of Nintendo stuff. He's OK but he's very biased to things he likes and a bit of a ***** to everything else. He's a pretty hype reactionist, though, that's for damn sure.

If you want reactions go to Etika's channel, if you want news it's better to hit up GameXplain or somewhere else other than his channel.
Given what I've already been told I don't think I'd be able to enjoy any content from someone that incredibly biased.

There are only a few reaction videos that I really usually enjoy anyway. :p

Top Bottom