• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
King K. Rool can be the heaviest. Afterall, he is at least twice the size of DK. I would not make him that big, however.

I would give most of his attacks movement properties, but make the character slow. Make him floaty. Maybe even deny him a third jump via UP B or make it horrible.

If he has a projectile, do not make it spammy.
His size relative to DK is inconsistent, and he certainly won't be twice the size in Smash!

The way I read things you want to make the character basically unplayable. What you've described reads to me as Little Mac except the fact Little Mac is blisteringly fast and you said "make him slow".

If I would design the Cruel King

King K. Rool as I see him would have four types of attacks.
Type one are the ranged Get Off Me moves,
They'd have much knockback, no combo capability aside from a few basic things and fast moves

Type two are the traps.
These traps include Spiked Cannonballs that knock opponents towards K. Rool, Klouds that heavily nerf opponents and Elektrocution Pods that lay down a line of hurt.
Those traps don't kill on themselves and instead put the opponent in a bad position.

Instead, that's type three's jobs.
These are his Smashes, Belly Bounces and one or two aerials.
They're pretty slow, but on a weakened opponent flying to you, they're very viable kill moves.
But getting opponents in these traps is pretty hard.

Type four are made to get opponents into traps.
They're the normal Kannonballs, Krowns (multihit effect) and grab's job.
They can't kill on their own, but can block portions of the stage, or outright throw opponents in the traps.

As for other things, K. Rool is mobile, heavy and a zoner, but cannot kill reliably without his traps and his recovery is bad.
Heck, his range outside of projectiles is only so-so.
I can get behind this sort of idea:

- Specials are decent mid-range zoning tools/traps with a good but gimpable recovery.
- Tilts are reasonably fast "get-off me" type boxing moves which ensure he's not helpless up close, but don't link well together and are mostly useful defensively.
- Aerials are OK. Not going to kill anyone, not going to Wall of Pain very effectively but a couple sufficiently fast to make him not complete combo food.
- Smashes are moderately decent kill moves that won't kill anywhere near as early as most heavies, but are difficult to effectively land without proper reads/trapping.
- Generally poor grab game; given that the rest of his kit is pretty decent.

Moreover something I'd really like to see implemented are his traps (e.g. cannonballs) being catchable by heavier characters. It would be interesting to have a strong character who struggles more against the heavyweights as that would promote some more diversity in the game and in the counter-picking.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
His size relative to DK is inconsistent, and he certainly won't be twice the size in Smash!

The way I read things you want to make the character basically unplayable. What you've described reads to me as Little Mac except the fact Little Mac is blisteringly fast and you said "make him slow".

I can get behind this sort of idea:

- Specials are decent mid-range zoning tools/traps with a good but gimpable recovery.
- Tilts are reasonably fast "get-off me" type boxing moves which ensure he's not helpless up close, but don't link well together and are mostly useful defensively.
- Aerials are OK. Not going to kill anyone, not going to Wall of Pain very effectively but a couple sufficiently fast to make him not complete combo food.
- Smashes are moderately decent kill moves that won't kill anywhere near as early as most heavies, but are difficult to effectively land without proper reads/trapping.
- Generally poor grab game; given that the rest of his kit is pretty decent.

Moreover something I'd really like to see implemented are his traps (e.g. cannonballs) being catchable by heavier characters. It would be interesting to have a strong character who struggles more against the heavyweights as that would promote some more diversity in the game and in the counter-picking.
Basically that, everything works fine, with the cohesion on the powerful hits and traps being the star.
Maybe traps can be knocked away like Pac's Hydrant to make him weak to heavies.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I made two movesets in the beginning of this thread for K. Rool. One only based on his King persona and another based on costume changes.

Here is the one based soley on King K. Rool

King K. Rool

This is a King K. Rool move-set based on his King appearance. He is a heavyweight with multiple movement options. Once K. Rool starts moving and throwing punches, he can overwhelm the opponent with his momentum.

Specials:
Toward B Krown Toss: Tosses his Krown forward, it returns much like Link's Boomerang.

B Belly Bounce: Puts his hands on his waist and thrusts his stomach forward. Short range, but good knockback. Can bounce solid projectiles back with high velocity. Can be used on his Krown when it is coming back to him instead of catching it.

Up B Crocodile Leap: Flicks his tail and launches upwards with an open mouth. Goes a little less further than Fire Fox. Mouth snaps close at the end for high KO potential. Can be angled as long as the trajectory is above the King.

Down B Krown Charge (On Ground): Lowers head and charges forward. Charges forward as long as down B is held. Can be jumped out of, but there is some lag before he can attack.

Down B Krown Charge (Air): Feet start running motions in the air as long as down B is held. Can do low, multi-hit damage. When he hits the floor in this animation, he begins to charge forward.

Fightin' Moves:
A: Wild right swing with a fist
A: Wild right swing, takes a step and does a wild left swing
AAA: Wild right swing, takes a step and does a wild left swing, takes a step forward while clasping both hands above his head and then brings down his hammerfists

Toward A: Quick kick forward with good stun, but low range. If A is pressed during the kick, K. Rool draws an arm back behind him while balanced on one foot and brings it forward in an extended punch.

Crouch: Lays on stomach, with tongue out and one eye closed poorly faking death.
Down A: Makes a swimming motion (breast stroke) forward as he swings his head forcefully from one side to the other. A pressed for repeat.

Up A: Stands on his tippy-toes and twirls with his snout pointed to the sky. Knocks Opponents away. Can juggle.

Dash A: Slides on his stomach while snapping his mouth like a Klaptrap. Goes far.

Down Smash: Spins in place once with a flurry of his cape and both arms extended. Spinning clothesline. Fast with decent horizontal KO potential.

Forward Smash: Does the worm. A dance move where he flops forward onto his stomach. A can be pressed again for a second belly flop forward.

Up Smash: Face screen, crouches, and throws one right uppercut quickly. Force takes K. Rool off the ground as high as the height of one Mario. A can be pressed again during the animation for a second left uppercut which lifts the crocodile higher. Has one jump he can use after the move.

Aerial Attacks:
Nuetral A: Curls his knees up to his stomach and grabs them while spinning about. An aerial crocodile cannonball. If he hits the ground, during the move he bounces upwards. Bounce height depends on how far K. Rool falls. Can be done over and over until he runs out of height. Lag coming out of move.

Back A: K. Rool does a spinning backhand which turns him to face the opposite direction.

Forward A: K. Rool throws both fists forward with his body stretched out completely parallel with the floor below. Lag if he hits the ground in execution.

Down A: Does a spit with his legs and throws a fist downward. Decent Meteor Smash.

Up A: Holds his crown on his head with both hands, does a somersault, and kicks upwards with both feet.

Throws:
Pummel: An open handed slap

Forward Throw: Bowls the opponent forward. Opponent rolls on the ground. Damage is done as the enemy rolls. Roll is determined by their percentage. Can roll off the stage.

Down Throw: Puts his mouth over their head. Then jumps a little and does a Death Roll. Spins horizantally with foe's head in mouth and both crash to the floor. Enemy bounces upwards stunned and K. Rool has lag getting up. Highest damaging throw out of the cast.

Up Throw: Reaches down and grabs opponent's legs and stands back up while hurling them straight above. Low damage, but good power for a quick move

Back Throw: With one hand, tosses the foe over his shoulder. Quick, decent power with a curved trajectory.

Techniques:
Glide: K. Rool does a slow descent with his cape billowing and his hands flapping at his side. Cannot go up and down like other glides.
Glide Attack: Does one spin while he snaps his jaws closed for a bite.

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Does it bother anyone else that K. Rool has a belly button?
It bothers me quite a bit.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
If it helps, the golden belly button he has in his Rare design is just his armor, which has an outie belly button for some strange reason.

It probably won't help that his Paon design incorporates the belly button onto his actual belly as well.

And at least K. Rool doesn't have nipples.

Explain that.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Does it bother anyone else that K. Rool has a belly button?
It bothers me quite a bit.
No, his "belly-button" explains his immense size. He had a twin fetus in his egg, but absorbed his sibling and doubled in size.

That bulge is all that remains of his absorbed sibling: an underdeveloped head

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
No, his "belly-button" explains his immense size. He had a twin fetus in his egg, but absorbed his sibling and doubled in size.

That bulge is all that remains of his absorbed sibling: an underdeveloped head
Holy Crap.
I thought he was just fat :troll:

If it helps, the golden belly button he has in his Rare design is just his armor, which has an outie belly button for some strange reason.

It probably won't help that his Paon design incorporates the belly button onto his actual belly as well.

Explain that.
Hmm, weird. Good to know.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Bought both DK: King of Swing & DK: Jungle Climber off the Wii U eShop.

While they aren't no Country or Jungle Beat, they're both pretty fun so far.

So any more news on our King?

Pakky

Smash Hero

Explain that.
#crocboobs. Are we sure that Kremlings are reptiles? That sounds silly but is there any official word?

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Are we sure that Kremlings are reptiles? That sounds silly but is there any official word?
The fact that they've always referred to themselves as crocodiles, even as far as their home island being so named, probably counts for something, here. ;)

EDIT: I'm sure there was official word from the very beginning, but this is the thing that springs most readily to mind, for some reason. :laugh:

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Such a weird topic. :p

I kind of like the belly button though. Makes for an interesting trait for a maniacal and ruthless villain, as outie belly buttons are often reserved to cute anime and such. :laugh:

:231:

Rattle-Kalimba

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone else want to see Kalypso in a main DK-Game? I actually see her as some sort of second in command for the Kremlings. In the german version of her SSBB Trophy she was described as someone the Kremlings would trust and as a lead person they would follow.

It would actually be nice, to see her and the other Kremlings that Paon created in a DK game. It would be big waste of potential because Kalypso, Kludge, Kip and Kass are actually really well designed and could easily work as some sort of family for KKR.

I could also see them as bosses for a potential DKCR3.

StormC

Smash Hero
I really like how the belly button looks on the Smashified art; adds a bit of character to him.

How do you guys feel about that recent Reddit compilation? I'm pretty pumped.

Snake is my #1 pick obviously, but it makes me very happy to see the Top 3 characters being ones I really want. Snake, Wolf and K.Rool being there gets me real excited.

Hopefully K.Rool gets in through DLC. That will definitely be hype worthy.
What Reddit thing?

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
The one where Snake, Wolf, and King K. Rool were in the number 1, 2, and 3 spot respectively, the one kept in a spreadsheet that was linked a while ago.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
The fact that they've always referred to themselves as crocodiles, even as far as their home island being so named, probably counts for something, here. ;)

EDIT: I'm sure there was official word from the very beginning, but this is the thing that springs most readily to mind, for some reason. :laugh:
Kremlings are sentient krocodiles.

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
Does anyone else want to see Kalypso in a main DK-Game? I actually see her as some sort of second in command for the Kremlings. In the german version of her SSBB Trophy she was described as someone the Kremlings would trust and as a lead person they would follow.

It would actually be nice, to see her and the other Kremlings that Paon created in a DK game. It would be big waste of potential because Kalypso, Kludge, Kip and Kass are actually really well designed and could easily work as some sort of family for KKR.

I could also see them as bosses for a potential DKCR3.
Kip and Kass are K. Rools version of Bowser Jr. Konfirmed.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
It's true, you know. i love playing as dedede but maan those matchups suck.. v.v; i really hope king k.rool has more options against fast characters because i'd love to play as a heavy that doesn't get eaten by ZSS one day.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
It's true, you know. i love playing as dedede but maan those matchups suck.. v.v; i really hope king k.rool has more options against fast characters because i'd love to play as a heavy that doesn't get eaten by ZSS one day.
I have plenty of wins with him to say otherwise.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
Groose theme would be the best thing ever. it goes with literally everything.Still waiting for fountain of dreams to come back as a stage in a smash eventually if not this one.

Last edited:

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226

Explain that.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
What are people wanting/expecting from King K Rool?

- Strong projectile/zoning game
- Decent speed/boxing game

These are already fundamentally advantageous traits. If you give them to King K Rool whilst leaving him as heavy and strong as Bowser and DK, doesn't this invalidate these characters on a fundamental level? Granted they are characters which in reality need strengthening but I don't believe it is a deliberate choice by Sakurai rather than an unfortunate side effect of having to balance for a lot more than just 1v1. Giving King K Rool their weight and strength whilst having everything else you want is making a character who is just point blank better, which is not good design.

Also, Dedede needs those things; he's an awful enough character as is. K Rool would not need added weight when he has everything else and giving him a bit less weight might mean the other heavies aren't completely outclassed.

Let's be fair here - at no point did I suggest making King K Rool light. I suggested that he might end up as the 5th heaviest for the sake of balance. This is not going to make him feel light at all. Yoshi does a ground pound that causes a shockwave, and I certainly didn't suggest giving K Rool Yoshi's weight.

And let's bear in mind that even considering Mewtwo having grounds for being somewhat floaty (so does Samus, yet they just changed her fall speed rather than giving her absurdly low weight) the difference is still far more pronounced than it should be. I have merely suggested King K Rool being around 5th heaviest and still a super heavyweight instead of 2nd heaviest or even most heavy.

I think it's worth being especially careful if the "Tough Guy" Bowser has is really just a side effect of his weight. If K Rool was as heavy or heavier than Bowser and got this, on top of having a strong projectile game and similar boxing skills, what really is the point of Bowser other than drop-kicking on FFAs?
Eh..hem...DDD..is far from awful.

What game are you playing?
As far as heavies go.
Hes Mid tier anyway..hes not awful.

This is me playing by the way

Very heavy/Multi jumps/Crazy Recovery/Crazy range/Crazy priority/Good kill power.

Hes far from awful imo.

Thelimomon

Smash Journeyman

As far as heavies go.

Very heavy/Multi jumps/Crazy Recovery/Crazy range/Crazy priority/Good kill power.

Hes far from awful imo.
I liked your post just to unlike it... so that I can like it twice.

But seriously though, Dedede is hard to master, but when you have, he's amazing.
With the Gordos he can do all kinds of mind games.
Of course, all the Sheiks, Zero Suit Samuses and Diddys are annoying to fight and often hard to beat, but this doesn't make him instantly awful.

That's why I hope that K. Rool ends up being more similar to Dedede than the other heavyweights.

StormC

Smash Hero
Outside of Snake comparisons, I'd say I imagine K. Rool to be some sort of lovechild of Bowser and Duck Hunt.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118

As far as heavies go.

Hes far from awful imo.
I'll concede that you make him look better than anyone I've ever played against but I still don't rate the character highly. As far as heavies go I personally rate Wario, ROB and Charizard higher. Nonetheless these are all discussions for another thread or PM rather than here. More respect to you for making him work.

Either way, K Rool's weight. I have a picture in my head of how he plays and I'd rather he had that playstyle and lose a little weight as a result than he be heaviest in the game but play slower/worse than he should as a result. If he got in with the playstyle and the weight then great; I just picture the two as almost mutually exclusive for the sake of comparative balance. But regardless of my complaints Sakurai and his team are doing a decent enough job and I trust they will make it work either way; certainly they know more about it than I do.

Outside of Snake comparisons, I'd say I imagine K. Rool to be some sort of lovechild of Bowser and Duck Hunt.
Bowser and ROB is how I usually think about it. Speed, Weight and Knockback in between the two, a throwable item like ROB (though isn't an active hitbox on the ground) in cannonballs good mid-range zoning.

Last edited:

Bananija

Count of Trickery

But seriously though, Dedede is hard to master, but when you have, he's amazing.
Of course, all the Sheiks, Zero Suit Samuses and Diddys are annoying to fight and often hard to beat, but this doesn't make him instantly awful.

That's why I hope that K. Rool ends up being more similar to Dedede than the other heavyweights.
Fellow Dedede fans, please take the time to watch this :

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
As a Dedede main, I can confirm that he's heavily outmatched by 70% of the cast, but that doesn't make him unusable. Heavy characters generally require a lot of practice. And quite frankly, I don't care how bad he is; I use my favorite characters no matter what, and I've been waiting 15 years to play as K. Rool. As long as he's not Brawl Ganondorf levels of bad, we'll be good to go.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Oooh, Je n'aime pas Roi Dadidou... Every time he takes out that stupid Gordo on All-star, I cringe. I just know that thing's gonna hit me, and it hurts a lot. Most of the time, that's what does me in.

I do like how the Mighty Glacier characters in this game are not as pathetic as before. Particularly Bowser, who is actually usable now. True, the Dorf is still such that any slower, he'd be moving backwards (it's agonizing to start a Smash Run with him since his speed is minimized...), but the sheer power makes up for it. Plus the fact that they've got super armor against light taps and the new rage mechanic make them viable.

Sidenote: I am a total casual scrub, so I'm probably talking out of my *** here, but whatever...

I'd expect the Kroc to be just the same way. And it'll be great.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero

I was playing nothing but Ganon since the WiiU release up untill about a month ago where i started the DDD Kraze.

Now DDD is my main.
And yes i also hope if i had to somewhat compare K.Rool i would want him say..more like DDD with about 3, 4 Kill moves and decent speed moves with a projectile.

And not anything Really like Charizard...

I would say a mix between Bowser & DDD.

Run speed like Bowser but pretty much everything else more like DDD and i hope his recovery aint to bad...plz be better than Ganon's....

I been maining Ganon since for ever so DDD feels great and like super fast lol.

Ow man its really hard to picture K.Rool everything about him can go either way but it makes it all the more exciting.
How heavy is he gonna be?
How fast and strong will he be?

I really hope he has super armour on atleast 1 of his moves.
I believe all heavies have atleast 1 super armour move but even more so i would love if he had a shield breaking move like Ganon and Bowser.

Bowser:
Super Armour: Up Smash
Shield Break: Bowser Bomb

Ganon:
Super Armour: Warlock Punch
Shield Break: Up Tilt

DK:
Super Armour: Fully Charged Giant Punch & Spinning Kong on the Ground
Shield Break: (No moves brake shield in 1 hit but Ground Pound and Left (B) do crazy shield damage.

Charizard:
Super Armour: Rock Smash & Up (B)
Shield Break: ? Doesnt have one as far as i know.

Ike: dont knoe anything about him tbh..i believe Up (B) has super armour at the start? Am i wrong?

DDD:
Super Armour: Up (B)
Shield Break:?
I swear Fully Charged jet hammer breaks shields...i have...i broke this mario's shield the other day...i dunno...
Take a look. Its at the end of the match.
Can someone confirm?

Ow man...i cant tell you guys how hyped i am for K.Rool..
Super armour and Shield brake moves are important to me i think its a real heavyweight aspect and i love if K.Rool has them.

Have any of you guys discussed if K.Rool had a super armour move or shield brake move? If so which one and how?

Last edited:
Top Bottom